What is the most overrated exercise

What is the most overrated exercise

What is the most underrated exercise

for what? deadlift is overrated and dips are underrated for aesthetics.

Overrated: sqaut

Underrated: any ab or cardio exercise

OHP and OHP

Its overrated by the people who need it the least and underrated by people who need it the most

OHP is overrated
Weighted pull-ups are underrated

Seated rows underrated and work more muscles than the bench

>OHP is overrated

Would you mind explaining why, lads?

IMO barbell bench variations are the most overrated. Dumbbells are vastly superior for both strength and hypertrophy; the only reason barbell is popular is because you can move bigger numbers.

Barbell bench press

Power cleans

Bench Press is overrated.
Power Cleans are under rated.

Dumbbell OHP is not OHP, it's shoulder press

t. not him

Holy fuck.

Have we, dare I say it, reached a consensus?

> What is the most overrated exercise
Bench press
> What is the most underrated exercise
Deadlift or squat depending on your goals

In general, OHP and bench need to be trained at high frequency. Most beginners running beginner routimes as written will stall on those first and continue to train them at 1.5x/week frequency.
For longer term results, people need to specialize in one or the other for a while to get good progression. It's why texas method as written is still really bad for presses: OHP and bench get weighted equally when it really should be at a ratio of 2:1 for whichever you're trying to progress vs the one you're putting on the backburner.
Basically, unless your OHP is a distinct weakness, bench should be a higher priority

Over:

Preacher Seat curls
Squats
Incline bench press
Under:
Cable curls
Front cross Delt raises with cables
Chin Ups

>Deadlift or squat

No, you just can't mention deadlifts when you mention squats.

>Dumbbells are vastly superior for [...] strength.
>the only reason barbell is popular is because you can move bigger numbers.

These are contradictory statements.

Overrated: I'm gonna go with flat bench press. Not because it is a bad exercise, but mainly because of the "what do you bench" crowd fawning over it. It is a great exercise, but the emphasis placed on it is obnoxious.

Underrated: Any joint mobility exercise. If you're really serious about lifting, maintaining the health of your shoulders, wrists, knees, and ankles is vital.

>you can move more weight using two arms than one
Does this confuse you?

The most overrated excercise is the same one you keep doing over and over again for years.

The most underated excercise is the one you never do because somewhere deep in your brain you think it's too hard but you never actually admit that and just make up a bunch of excuses about why you don't do it.

I think you're the one that is confused
You can't dumbbell press what you can barbell press.
If you can bench 275 you can't dumbbell press 135lb dumbbells

when talking about most people who go to the gym, not people who know their shit like most of Veeky Forums:

overrated: pretty much all machine exercises as well as isolation exes
underrated: basics like DL, squat, OHP, row.

overrated on the internet: squat, overhead press
underrated on the internet: isolations in general
overrated in real life: bench press
underrated in real life: upper back work in general

Why is OHP overrated? Lots of people have stated it is so but not one has explained why.

What planet do you guys come from? I never see people deadlifting, i never see people squatting, i never see people doing OHPs, and its been almost 2 years that im on the same gym.

Aside from few girls that do a sumo deadlift with a dumbell and some that squat on the smith machine with 5lbs each side for 20 reps

And your hips, Jesus Christ do some fucking hip mobility

I was the first guy
I guy the idea for power cleans from Terry crews, he says it was his biggest mass builder. I do clean and press when I can, but some days I prefer light delt work and that's when the power cleans come out. These fuckers gave me forearms, traps and an upper back I'm proud of.

Barbell bench is ass, I prefer slow crossovers and stretching DB press, Max bench was 135kgs around 300lbs when I dropped it

user is on to something

I see people squat somewhat regularly, but deadlifts are rare. Never seen anyone else besides a crossfit fag OHP

>The most overrated excercise is the same one you keep doing over and over again for years.

>tfw Veeky Forums advocates muscle confusion

>power cleans from Terry crews, he says it was his biggest mass builder.

Bigger than the HGH?

with a free barbell? Never happens man, only smith squats, shit most of the time i see faggots rack pulling and decline bench press with the smith machine.

Overrated: Squat
Underrated: Pull ups

>What is the most overrated exercise
Isolations
>What is the most underrated exercise
Rows, weighted dips and pullups, deadz, strongman carries

Bench
Farmer walks

>pre 2010
"SQUAT AND OATS"
>Now
"Do you even lift bro?"
"Never skip leg day!"

Squatting has become a meme lift now; people have shitty form, they never engage their hips but they still have a day for it.

Yeah, with a barbell. Pretty sure there's another Veeky Forums autist at my gym who squats and talks to himself. My gym's staff squats on the smith machine every time they have a workout together

desu

Most people heard that Deadlifts are dangerous while they are probably the most natural weight exercise besides squats.
They are only dangerous if you make them in a unnatural way with a rounded back. Even with mixed grip it's safe if you hold your arms straight and don't try to curl the weight.

I don't know what your proportions are, but all this talk of deadlifts being the most natural movement is total shit. Deadlifts feel unnatural as fuck for me, my back always wants to round, and in general it is the lift that has injured me the most.

I was only injured once and that was doing one arm rows, I currently deadlift 190 kg and I never, not even once, injured me while deadlifting (and I only use mixed grip and never change the hands).

Overrated is definitely deadlift. Underrated, cardio.

the idea that deadlifts are natural because people bend down to pick things up, or that squats are natural because people sit in the squat position (unweighted) in third world countries is totally idiotic

whether or not squat or deadlift feels "natural" to you depends entirely on your proportions

for a short limbed guy (you), deadlift feels like an exercise in annihilating their lower back, whereas for someone like me (giant wingspan, tall, lanky) it feels like the most natural thing in the world

100% true

Overrated squats
Underrated hill sprints, face pulls, rear delt cable flies, trap bar deadlifts, weighted dips and pull-ups

how to do clean properly

Because they suck at them.

This post is food for thought

>over rated
shrugs
>under rated
lateral neck work

>weight lifting

>yoga

>meme poo in loo stretching

Overrated: Isolations
Underrated: Compounds

Also, let's not limit this to exercises.

Overrated: visible abs
Underrated: Actually getting bigger and stronger

>if you only knew

>yoga
Elaborate, how exactly is it more useful than normal stretching?

>Overrated
Barbell Shrugs

>Underrated
Rack Pulls Above The Knee

alex pls go

How are those overrated, barely anybody does them. I see dumbbell shrugs plenty, but not barbell

>Overrated
Deadlift

>Underrated
Romanian deadlift

because for most males, bb shrugs do nothing but destroy your testicles

whats your opinion on rotating lifts when you start to stall? like doing close grip bench press after every couple months?

This. If you want big hammies and ass do RDL. It's less taxing so you can do it at a higher frequency, even on the same day as squats and it actually has an eccentric portion. On top of that the lower loads and TUT makes your hams and glutes the limiting factor unlike the deadlift for which it's the spinal erectors.

Maybe if you're a retard

Overrated: Flat bench press, Conventional deadlift

Underrated: Overhead squat, Sots press, Zydrunas press/Z press

>Dumbbells are vastly superior for both strength

lmoaaa

>Overhead squat, Sots press
I don't see how highly specific exercises for the overhead strength on an exercise barely anyone even trains could be underrated. Standing snatch press let's you lift more weight than sots using the same muscles and overhead squat is useless for leg strength because your overhead strength is always the limiting factor and the training effect on your overhead strength is mostly just isometric which is less potent than concentric/eccentric exercises.

>"lets you lift more weight

That's what I find overrated.

The sots press and overhead squat are one of the most humbling exercises and you can't body english your way out of them. Hell, most people can't even do these with a PVC pipe.

>"overhead squat is useless for leg strength"

I disagree. Sure, it's not the best leg exercise but saying it's useless for leg strength is laughable. Sure, they're "less potent" than vanilla squats as far as hitting high numbers go but factors like mobility and overhead strength make them great exercises. They separate the men from the curlbros.

Read the thread
Just jump and shrug bro

Overrated: Bench press

Underrated: Barbell Flyes

>most underated excercise is the one you never do because somewhere deep in your brain you think it's too hard

Going to add in 5 sets of 'talk to peoples' with 2 drop sets of 'conversate a grill' to the end of every workout now.

oh balls

Overrated: Squats (srs)

Underrated: Weighted Chins

>how many texts you got left?

>I just started SS

Fuck off rippletits

Overrated: Flat bench press, Conventional deadlift, Squat

Underrated: Curls in the Squat rack

overrated: flat bench or DB curl
underrated: barbell hip thrust

Overrated: Dips

Underrated: Ring dips

overrated: visible veins, the height of normie standards
underrated:Cardio, meditation.

overrated: barbells

underrated: calisthenics

one hand pull up > weighted pull ups for hyperthrophy

archer hand stands > overhead press for hyperthrophy

Bench press has very limited carryover into functional strength and aesthetics. Unless you're a powerlifter, do incline instead. Power cleans help you maintain explosivity in case you want to be quick in an athletic sense. Y'all niggas is right.

Redpill me on incline bench press

overrated: tie between squat and deadlift

underrated: sled pushing

Why are squats and deadlifts overrated?

Lol, deadlifts aren't natural you dumb fuck. no exercise per se is natural, we are humans and we have a wide range of possibilities of what to do with our bodies.
I also never had bad form on my deadlift but I still have problems with my discs, I dont blame deadlifts or something, but if you think it doesn't put your lumbar region under tremendous pressure wether you do everything right or not is ignorant, they're probably the most compressive movement there is Squats are super underrated actually. Almost nobody does heavy squats, while its easily the best all around exercise if paired with sufficient upper body work

Barbell flat bench isnt really usefull i find.

Power cleans and front squats are underrated.

How is picking something up from the ground not natural? Thats basically the original human lift.

They aren't. He's memeing or sucks at them.

No. Push Press is better.

ah fair
cheers

most overrated: OHP.

most underrated: svend press. They're amazing and i literally have never seen anyone do them except for myself.

It's called conjugate periodization and can be extremely effective. Just look up Westside for Skinny Bastards by Joe Defranco. It's based on the Westside method invented by Louie Simmons but adapted for raw, natty lifters.

because its a meme exercise

>Overrated
Deadlifts

>Underrated
Weighted chins

Why would picking something up from the ground be more natural than hanging from a tree or doing a lunge?

>I'm the only one that does them
Because their fucking useless

overrated: all leg exercise, except squats because...
underrated: running

You've fundamentally misunderstood functional strength. Deadlifts are about as close an approximation to natural human movement as you'll ever get, and are effective enough at providing that strength that natural human movement will be enhanced without having to live the caveman lifestyle.

Do deadlifts increase the size of your waist?

Moving bigger numbers is strength, brother.

Also, barbells are more easily loadable. Dumbbells are probably a more useful movement though.