Deadlift thread!

so here's a deadlift thread for everyone to talk about their deadlift stuff. how do you remember to deadlift properly? how many reps/sets do you do?

i set up with bar mid-foot as the SS guy suggests, and really try to focus on involving my feet and legs. some reps i'll notice "ugh i did that wrong! felt it in my back; must make sure it's the legs working..."

so i'm still learning but feel like i'm getting better hopefully. i notice i "bounce" a little at the top; is this normal?

oh and i do reps of 6-10, 3 sets. once i can do 10 reps for all 3 sets i increase weight.

deadlift thread!

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3a1uUGC63j0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Any time i'm upping the weight, i look at this and read the whole thing.

exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

If I want to get better at pendlay rows would deadlifting help me become stronger at them or inhibit progress?

oh wow this is a wonderful resource :O

thank you so much! xD

Hey, we talked in another thread and I forgot to ask if you had a kik?

i would recommend pull ups for more lat development for pendlays

Thanks, I'll try it today

heres me deadlifting a year or longer ago, weight must be something around 160 kilograms

i like watching amateur deadlifting gifs

great video for so many reasons. that's a lot of weight :O

aren't we supposed to keep our neck in neutral though? i kinda focus on a point ahead of me on the floor and keep my gaze there to do this. hope i'm doing it right lol

>i do reps of 6-10, 3 sets. once i can do 10 reps for all 3 sets i increase weight.
shit routine. deadlifts arent supposed to be a an endurance excercise. do weighted hyperextensions if you want to give your back some endurance.

deadlifts should be in the range of 1 to 5 repetitions. look at 5/3/1 or whatever.

if you have to go full retarded do something hepburn-like such as 666 then next workout 667 until you reach 888 and increase the weight

>aren't we supposed to keep our neck in neutral though?
yes, in line with the back. i didnt do a good job back then.
also didnt lock out. could have kept the bar closer to my body as well.

I started lifting a month and a half ago and doing deadlifts make me feel so fucking good.
I suffer from depression and recently couldn't get my meds so I just kept deadlifting to fight depression and withdrawal. It got me so exhausted because I just couldn't stop, the rush was great.
The deadlift is my favourite lift so far and got me out of a shitty situation.

>I started lifting a month and a half ago and doing deadlifts make me feel so fucking good.
yeah, especially in the beginning, you can improve on it like fuck.
keep up the good work user

i'm following bret contreras' strong curves program and he suggests between 6-12 reps. and i've read that more reps is good for hypertrophy, right? i want nice legs lol.

why do you think they should be in range of 1-5 reps?

oh very cool. all good tips to keep in mind :)

yeah! i fucking love deadlifts! when i finish a set i have to walk around a little bit while all blissed out from the deadlifts lol

heavy compound lifts like DL, Squats are proven by study that they promote testosterone levels naturally and test is proven to help with depression

>more reps is good for hypertrophy, right?
right

>why do you think they should be in range of 1-5 reps?
its what i gathered from different other programs and this board in general. deadlifts is supposed to be an excercise where you go for your personal best one repetitions. doing more than 5-8 repititions seems retarded to me.

there are videos of powerlifters doing 20 repititions with 100kg or whatever but it appears to be just for fun to me

If you're severely out of shape and stiff as a stick, is there any limitations to starting deadlift?
I feel that I struggle getting into a proper starting position and locking my muscles. It's like my shoulders are incapable of being in position while holding the bar.

SHould I just focus on low weight and hope for the best eventually?

well i'm gonna stick with the strong curves recommendations. it's an aesthics program for women so probably better for me than the normal manly lifting advice.

of course start low and get the movement right. you can basically load up 5 kilograms every workout once you got the hang of it

okay

Isn't the fat and muscle distribution in trannies different though?

But how do I know if I got the hang of it.
I can lift the bar with 1pl8 without struggling too much, but I struggle to keep my form, to not let my shoulders bend forward and in general perform it how its intended.
I have no idea about my back, but it probably rounds too.

yes, and this has always been an interesting problem imo. when doing the bodyfat% tests at the gym (which are ofc not too accurate) i was around 17% and the gym guy gave me the female averages which had me very low ofc. had to ask for the male.

so for me right now? i have much less fat than a cis woman would, but i've been on hrt for years and responded well to it so my fat distributes in a more female manner. like i have hips. and obviously i have small breasts.

but every trans person is different ofc. i think this makes the most sense for someone like me. i'm 5'6" and have always been thin, so i need more mass on my lower body to look more feminine.

then do flexibility and mobility work. your shoulders will grow with their tasks and keep to their place

Thanks, that makes sense. How long have you been on HRT?

since december 2013 i guess. and yeah so. my fat% must be between the male and female ranges, but they're all generalizations anyway that no one really fits into 100%. it's interesting stuff lol

the day of the rope can't come fucking fast enough.

Have you contemplated mental help?

when I deadlift I feel it way more in my lower back, quads and a little in the glutes, than anything in my hamstrings. What might I be doing wrong?

had a good kek, thanks user

That's almost 4 years of hormone therapy, VT. That has to be a hindrance on strength training with all that estrogen. If you need a friendly user to talk to i can give you my kik or something. I'd like to talk more about all that stuff

Take test, that boosts deadlifts like crazy.

why is deadlifting the most enjoyable lift, its so satisfying

Does your name start with a K?

so let's talk about deadlifts again and not me.

youtube.com/watch?v=3a1uUGC63j0

i tried to do these but they honestly seem impossible without involving the back. seems like a great way to injure yourself, but if you can do them properly great for butt gains??

can you do these?

Try using a lighter weight then. You can always work your way back to the heavier weight later. I like doing increments of ten and I always warm up to the heaviest I can go. Also don't listen to the mean comments, we're all gonna make it.

Not sure if bait but the woman in that pic is not deadlifting

>i have hips

And they say trannies are delusional

do you do this sort of deadlifting? where you don't really bend the knees and do hip work instead? the normal deadlifts come a lot easier to me for some reason lol.

it's not? to me it looks like she's in the middle of a deadlift.

they're not the biggest but i definitely do. especially compared to where i used to be. that pic probably isn't the best to show it. easier to see when i'm standing up

DAILY REMINDER
deadlifting with perfect form will ultimately result to an arthritic lower back in the future, enjoy not being able to bend over to pick up a 2.5 kg plate idiots

what?

source?

No one does bent rows with mixed grip. Look at her left arm and the her right arm. Mixed grip

I used to do straight leg deadlifts but I switched over to a ppl routine that doesn't require it. You do have hips, you look real qt.3.41 in that pic. Maybe record yourself doing deadlifts and watching the videos later to compare your form to the proper form. Do more cardio if your goal is a feminine body. And get enough protein. Stay safe for me, baby girl

>Pulling conventional makes me bend my back slightly, not to the point of pain/snap city but enough to be concerning, at any weight over a plate due to lanky proportions and weak core
>sumo allows me to easily snap the weight up with good form and lift much more
What should be done? Some people say to stick with whatever feels natural, but I feel like I "should" be doing conventional because of long arms, I know sumo is intended for manlets and short-limbed people.
Second, when is a good point to start wearing a belt? I've gotten to 3plate for a good double but see people using belts at all sorts of weights, lower and higher.
Third, stop responding to vegan trap posts and he'll go away

How do you teach a new guy to deadlift? As in, how do you correct his deadlift form, rather than just explaining what to do?

Like with squats I can do a pretty good job of figuring out what the biggest issue is and correcting it, like leaning forward too much, ass coming up before everything else, etc.

But I don't know how to get someone to straighten out their back in the right location, move their ass in a specific direction, etc. because all these adjustments are foreign to them. If I manually do it they'll be fine for a rep or two then regress back to shitty form.

I make my friends watch the Mark Rippetow videos for squatting and diddling before they start adding weight. Say what you will about SS but Mark has great knowledge of mechanics and form, and explains them well.

She is performing a snatch. Look at the torso angle and the width of her grip.

>Hips low

I actually leave my hips up as high as I can. I have long legs in contrast to my upper body so I find I have no room to put my knees and end up rounding my back.

I get into position without lowering my hips as much as possible, bar mid foot, and I imagine there is a metal crane pulling me up from the top of my back, I squeeze my chest into the air so fucking hard and I find that sorts out my lumbar position naturally.

You're not trying to squat the weight up, if you're struggling because of your low hips give my que a go. Squeeze that chest up real fucking hard .

170kg 1x5 today, almost at 4pl8...