Non-Meme HIIT routine

Hey guys. I took a couple months off and am getting my strength back up. I was listening to Dorian Yates on Joe Rogan and decided I want to start some HIIT to get my heart rate lower while I lift.

Does anyone have a source on a good routine? Google brings up many memey looking ones.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iOFA1EmFJMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I want to start some HIIT to get my heart rate lower while I lift.
Its not that good for that, lol. Its good for other things tho, for aerobic and anaerobic capacity and vo2max its gucci tho. You are still going to be good to go, so don't worry.
Generally the procotol for HIIT is simple. You don't need anything complex. You just need some very hihg intensity excersise like sprinting and a decent protocol.
Here is an example of what you can do for HIIT
1. 10 minutes warmup with some light intensity shit
2. 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest fpr 4-5 minutes of fuck off kill yourself hill sprints
There are other regimens for you to choose from too. You can go 30W/30R for 10 minutes for example. Thats all you need to know for HIIT. Its much simpler than you think. Fitness industry largely overcomplicates things for their own monetary benefit

Ah that's what I figured re: regimen.

So basically HIIT is more the W/R theory and just going hard and resting. Thanks.

Well, yeah, thats all it is. Short intervals of really intense work followed by short intervals of rest/low intensity work. Just find a regimen that works best for you and stick with it. Also, HIIT hits your CNS pretty hard, so you should mix and match HIIT with low-medium intensity work.

what i do for hockey off ice is 10 sets of falling start sprints for 30 yards and rest 45 seconds inbetween each set. im sure you could do this in general even if not for sports

do you guys actually sprint for your sprint interval and jog for your rest interval?

i can jog for a 5k under 20 mins, but i'm winded after literally 30 seconds of sprinting flat out followed by 30 seconds of jogging, should i just walk during my rest interval or what?

I just sprint for 30 secs and walk for 30 secs

near the end I start to sprint for a minute etc, do it after the workout, twice a week

>should i just walk during my rest interval or what?
Yes, you can. Just don't stand still and remember to breathe.

youtube insanity fast & furious there's a really good video of some dude doing it with the TV in clear view

My own anecdote but HIIT does wonders for lowering your RHR. No BS, my RHR use to be 90-95 when I started at the gym 2 years ago, now it is 45-50. I do HIIT twice a week, 1 min rest, 30 sec sprint for 10 rounds. When I started HIIT I was already down to 65-70 RHR but it dropped it even further over a 3 month period, i just do it to maintain fitness now.

I still can't believe my RHR was so high, fucking shameful but that's what years and years of WoW got me.

Sprints bro, just sprints

10 minute warmup and then 8 sets of 20:10 of maximum effort : rest

HIIT is just a meme nowadays.

It was a legitimate thing but now we got these roided cunts who will walk in, do a quick little run and think they busted ass.

Bitch if you don't nearly trip over yourself sprinting you aren't going fast enough.

And when the 30 seconds is up you motherfuckers best be ending it there, not slowing down as you reach the end.

If you can't handle this shit go back to bro-splits, tren, and skipping leg day pussies.

If you aren't jogging for rest you haven't trained hard enough.

Lifting is about adaption; Your muscles adapt to the heavy strain put on them by building themselves bigger.

You need to stop pussyfooting around and push your fucking limits.

Good luck user.

can confirm same

I just run normally, increasing distance, duration or speed each session. I used to do cross country, so I have a complex about good 3.1 mile times. Should I just hit up a proven HIIT routine instead?

is hiit a bad idea if youre overweight? i figured short distances would be better on the joints, but it does seem like the high intensity ground pounding isnt.

Do what you feel is right user, but always keep pushing yourself, when doing HIIT it doesn't matter if you are cutting or bulking, you gotta keep pushing, and hard.

I tell you what, it may suck, it may hurt, you may have to fall on the ground and scrape your knee, or puke your insides out, but you gotta push yourself AS HARD AS YOU CAN every day. Doing that will make you stronger.

That is HIIT.

>Still doing HIIT

No nu uh, do this.
youtube.com/watch?v=iOFA1EmFJMM

>anime girl

In the trash it goes.

b-but tabata is a variation of HIIT.

Yeah, this ^^
Proper HIIT makes you want to puke your brains out.
> Doing that will make you stronger.
It will make you mentally stronger as well. And thats arguably more important than the physical benefits.

i did both insanity and asylum from shaun T

brutal programs. first time i ever did insanity to measure my time i puked

>2. 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest fpr 4-5 minutes of fuck off kill yourself hill sprints
What the hell is this. I do 20seconds with 30s recovery. I just can't perform even half ass if I only rest 10s. Or I can at very first but then it's just not that effective anymore. That's too extreme. Isn't it better to recover a bit better and then be able to push harder? 10s is literally nothing.

>What the hell is this.
Thats tabata protocol for you. Pretty much the hardest HIIT regimen out there. Takes the least amount of time, but it makes you ultraded after doing it.

>jog 5k in 20 minutes

that isnt jogging

lmao, i row at that pace for 5 minutes after running for 20 minutes as part of my warm up and this guys form is fucking terrible, rounded shoulders and nearly smacking himself in the teeth

You can do shit like rowing machines or airdynes so you don't fuck your joints lad.

Tabata method. It's the original HIIT training which was scientifically studied

>10s is literally nothing.

thats the fucking point, it's tabata. look it up because it's l i t e r a l l y scientifically proven to be insanely good

acquire jumprope.
Do 30 seconds all out max
Rest for 60 seconds

repeat 10x

This is how I thought you were supposed to row when I bought my rowing machine.

I'd go for a song, tire myself out, and then go for another song for like 20-30 minutes. I should probably get back into it.

what is an actual hiit program thats worth it?

1) get on an exercise bike
2) sprint as hard as you humanly can for 20 seconds, as if a lion is chasing behind you, as if your waifu is infront of you
3) "rest" for 10 seconds (slowly pedal, don't stop pedaling)
4) repeat for 10 minutes
5) enjoy your VO2 max literally increasing by 200%

can i do that with sprinting/slow jog?

>that form
As a rower I cringe every time I watch normies and crossfitters on the erg

I have the "HIIT interval training timer" on my phone.
I'd say just try and see how you fare.
go nuts for as long as you can, rest until you feel ready, do it again and gain for 5 to 10 minutes, or until you can't do anymore
do more the next time around, either more time for each sprint or more cycles

I'm the one you originally asked the question, not him.

For starters there is no program that you need for HIIT, it's so incredibly simple that all you need is to find what's right for you.

Right for you meaning you want to die after the workout, each and every time.

No exercise bikes, if you want the full benefit of fatburning, discipline, and physical strength, you need to get your ass onto the track. I personally do my regiments going up a grassy hill, then I jog down for rest, then sprint back up.

For a beginner I'd recommend you do ten laps of 10 seconds of all out sprinting, followed by 10 seconds of rest, and increase the number of laps slowly from there.

You must feel like dying afterwards, if you don't feel like dying afterwards than you aren't going hard enough, increase the laps, lower your rest, or stop being a bitch and push yourself during those seconds, you'd only be cheating yourself.

Good luck user.