Vegetarian

Is being vegetarian actually healthy or is it just a meme?

I've been eating vegetarian for a week to help combat GI stuff, and I'm feeling really good.

If I want to continue like this, do I need to get anything like supplements in order to fill holes in my diet?

Other urls found in this thread:

health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/becoming-a-vegetarian
pastebin.com/hVsFXfs0
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

take a look

As a vegetarian, you could just eat 2 eggs per day, that with all the veggies should cover all micronutrients.
You might want to check how you're doing with the B vitamins (6,9, and 12), D vitamins, omega-3s, and creatine. Creatine you'll supplement anyway because nobody gets 5g per day just by eating, and the others are just common deficiencies.

There is plenty of evidence that a vegetarian diet is healthier than an average diet, but all of those benefits really come from the increased amounts of fruits and vegetables and legumes. You dont exactly need to be a vegetarian to eat morenof those foods.

You're not a vegetarian if you eat eggs though.

Those are some vegetables alright.

>I literally don't know what i'm talking about

I don't think you know what vegetarian means
You're thinking of vegan.

>Is being vegetarian actually healthy
No eating high amounts of carbs isn't healthy. You're not a farmer working in a field half the day.

except for the tomato

it is fine, as vegan it would be hard to hit protein / vitamin / mineral targets though. generally you can just go whole food (good veggies plus lean cuts of meat) and have best of both worlds.

Shouldn't the pepper be added to that case as well?

Vegetarian and vegetarian-like diets (Mediterranean) are pretty well accepted as healthy ways to eat.

health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/becoming-a-vegetarian

> but all of those benefits really come from the increased amounts of fruits and vegetables and legumes

As well as the avoidance of meat. Even diets that include meat are recommended to limit it to small amounts.

What shit are you chatting?
Vegan diet is full of most vitamins becuase all they eat is WHOLE FOODS and VEGETABLES.... vegan diets are just lacking in certain vitamins like B12, but in our modern world this can be supplemented

Eating vegetables is healthy. Eating lean meat is healthy. Eat both. Vegetarians will tell you meat will kill you, but they are just a bunch of cow loving faggots.

Im ok with people who will eat eggs at least

if you go straight vegan.... I dont know what to say that would change a vegans mind just..
stop it silly

>Eating lean meat is healthy.

No, it's just less unhealthy than eating non-lean meat.

And the pumpkin

>Except for omega-3 fats
Which is important and not found in any plants. Not to mention the protein you'll be missing out on.

Don't fall for the eggs and dairy memes. You'll do great on a whole food vegan diet. Just be sure to take your D3 and B12.

Healthlets here are just jealous they're hooked on meat, dairy, and eggs because they have inferior minds and bodies.

Omega-3s are found in plants, just not the long chain variety, which are synthesized by the human body. It says possible exception because long-chain omega-3s in any significant amount only apply to certain kinds of fish, not chicken breast, not lean beef, not pork.

>but protein

Think a little harder.

>He hasn't heard of flaxseeds and walnuts

how are you that retarded?

The average vegetarian eats better than the average Westerner, but vegetarianism itself is a meme.

some user posted this a while back, worth a gander.

pastebin.com/hVsFXfs0

Being a vegetarian is the only way to reach peak natty. Any other lifestyle is useless. Pic related is the type of gains you can expect.

It's probably healthier than the average American diet of fast food and soda, but it does have its own issues.

Humans are omnivores. But that doesn't mean greasy cheeseburgers are healthy. It means learn to eat lean meats such as chicken (grilled, not breaded) and fish.

a vegetarian saying meat is unhealthy is no different than a Christian saying god is real. You're not giving facts, you're giving opinions as facts.

this

Only by the (((WHO))). Avoid large amounts of nitrate preseved meats, eat pleanty of fiber, and don't be fat, and you can eat as much meat as you want with no negative effects.

> worth a gander.

It really isn't. It's a big list of studies that are barely related to the claims posted with them, most of which have been refuted in past threads and received no response because the guy who compiled it doesn't even believe what he wrote.

>phytochemicals
Mouse fucking nutrionist fucktards should have their grants refunded and then be fed to their mice.

i was vegan. but kept getting sick.
switch to vegetarian feel much better.
i eat 2-3 organic eggs and the rest are egg whites.

It's more akin to an atheist asking for evidence that God exists because the status quo is taking it as a given with no evidence.

>lean meat is healthy
>why?
>well uh... it has less saturated fat than other meat. that means it's healthy

By everyone. There's no accredited health organization that doesn't advocate avoiding saturated fat and cholesterol and all meat consumption. The mainstream advice on diet is to eat mainly plant foods and to eat no more than 6 ounces of meat (fresh, not processed) in a day, with a less-is-better attitude.

>avoiding saturated fat and cholesterol and all meat consumption

Meant to say limiting all meat consumption

Eggs provide very little micronutrients though. Might as well just not eat them at all, which will reduce your dietary cholesterol intake.

>carbs are evil
>but foods high in trans-fats, cholesterol, saturated fat and methionine are a-ok

Because "everyone" listens to the (((WHO))), who openly admit they have no proof that even red meat causes cancer but still call it carcinogenic anyway. You must eat fiber to be healthy, but avoiding even saturated fat doesn't matter, simply avoiding BEING fat does. And dietary cholesterol? That memes been publically debunked for years.

What does that even mean? Only farmers can eat oatmeal and fruits? Everyone else dies?

You're an idiot.

This man is bigger than Veeky Forums with the exception of /fraud/, prove me wrong.

He's saying carbs are why most people are fat, because they're very easy to snack on, and that unless you have a heavy labor day job, you probably don't need the fuel.

Personally, I say just count what you eat.

You're a layman and a hippy faggot.

Just look at CBT. I'm sure some of them are natty. Also Vegan Lames has been lifting for over a decade

>Also Vegan Lames has been lifting for over a decade
And he's bigger than some roider Veeky Forums seems to rave about.

Then he's retarded to use the phrase "carbs" that broadly, like eating peas and beans will make you overweight unless you work a manual labor job. But nobody will call him out on the blatant strawman because he's saying anti-vegetarian things, and that's more important than being intellectually honest.

I just implied he phrased it poorly, but let me say it more explicitly: he phrased it very poorly. Your macro split doesn't matter as long as you don't overeat. It's just that most people who overeat primarily via high carb foods such as bread, dough based dishes, and sweets.

it is worth a gander, only to see that it's complete bullshit. Whoever combined that list is illiterate. First study i clicked on the study concluded "no significant difference"- referring to testosterone changes in ovo-lacto vegetarianism.

Having low Carnitine isn't a bad thing- it combines with gut bacteria when you eat a steak to make TMAO which is strongly linked to cancer. Holy shit, vegetarians have less carcinogens maybe that's why they get cancer at way lower rates? Wow, science.

Iodine study funded by the fish industry that doesn't mention iodine is in sea vegetables. They mention sea salt as if you couldn't get enough that way or through idodized salt on a vegan diet. Gee, makes you think huh?

COq10 study- concludes "MAY be due to vegetarian diet-further studies with more subjects needed to confirm". However there's also a study showing that chlorophyll rich plants catalyze ubiquinone and ubiquinol production in the body- which is CoQ10. There's absolutely no reason vegans would have this problem unless they aren't eating leafy greens

On heme vs non-heme. Blogger tier shit science. Look at the chart provided in one of the links- most of the top sources of iron are beans- christ a baked potato has the same amount of iron as beef. Also heme iron is correlated to heart disease- oxidizes cholesterol causing atherosclerosis. Increased risk of stroke, and T2 diabetes, and cancer.

Your body absorbs non-heme iron just fine- and more safely. Again, it's why meat eaters have more cancer, diabetes, etc.

On sperm motility- another op didn't read that shit. The conclusion on soy- was that there were worries considering effects in non-human animals- but no such effect has been reproduced in humans. Right in the fucking abstract "soyfoods can play a beneficial role in the diets of vegetarians. Concerns about adverse effects are not supported by the clinical or epidemiologic literature."

Do I need to finish? Fuck you anti-veg fucks.

Meat eaters don't have more cancer or beetus, fat people do. Vegans are just leaner on average, which holds true even if you bracket by BMI

Which of course has nothing to do with vegetarian diets.

For the most part. There are fat people who eat garbage and think that it's healthy because it's vegan, but that's simply an effect of fat people being retarded, not veganism itself.

Whats a good cheap vegan diet for around 150-300 bucks a month?

The pastebin relies on people who are already anti-vegetarian seeing a bunch of seemingly scientific links, not bothering to read them, and then feeling good about themselves for eating meat.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2671114/

>Mean BMI was lowest in vegans (23.6 kg/m2) and incrementally higher in lacto-ovo vegetarians (25.7 kg/m2), pesco-vegetarians (26.3 kg/m2), semi-vegetarians (27.3 kg/m2), and nonvegetarians (28.8 kg/m2). Prevalence of type 2 diabetes increased from 2.9% in vegans to 7.6% in nonvegetarians; the prevalence was intermediate in participants consuming lacto-ovo (3.2%), pesco (4.8%), or semi-vegetarian (6.1%) diets.
>After adjustment for age, sex, ethnicity, education, income, physical activity, television watching, sleep habits, alcohol use, and BMI, vegans (OR 0.51 [95% CI 0.40–0.66]), lacto-ovo vegetarians (0.54 [0.49–0.60]), pesco-vegetarians (0.70 [0.61–0.80]), and semi-vegetarians (0.76 [0.65–0.90]) had a lower risk of type 2 diabetes than nonvegetarians.

Looks like more carbs and less meat is better for non-farmers too.

Eggs are just a hen's period discharge. You don't kill the animal to get an egg.

That guy is an idiot, but these morons "corrected for BMI" by bracketing their subjects into obese and non-obese, ignoring that there are still going to be huge BMI differences between the brackets.

er, within the brackets, rather

My grocery list is usually some variant of:

Blueberries
Cherries
tomatoes
Onions
Collards
Kale
lentils
(other beans)
(nuts) - raw almonds, walnuts. also buy bulk pistachios
apples
limes (for salsa/tabuli)
cilantro (for salsa)
parsley (for tabuli)
bulgur or quinoa (for tabuli)
potatoes (purple are the best but more expensive- regular ass potatoes are fine)
coffee/tea/hibiscus (when i'm out)
oatmeal (old fashion usually sometimes steel cut)
edemame. (frozen in bulk)
Sweet potatoes
Beets- at least one a day.
carrots
broccoli

Sporatically- unsweetened cocoa powder, ghost chilli powder, various spices to make curry. unpasturized Miso paste- lasts forever. Black Rice- sometimes brown rice from california if i'm in a rice mood.

I spend about 60 to 70 a week.

Are we still considering fish as meat, since apparently all meats are bad no exception according to this thread ?
I mean, far as I know fish is essentially the go to animal in the countries where the Mediterranean diet are a thing and in Japan, and far as I know those two groups are among some of the few in the world making into their early 100s en masse, so technically going pseudo-vegetarian but eating fish should still be a-ok.

>Implying Lames isn't roiding

Fish is probably the least harmful meat if you eat it like a mediterranean, as an ingredient for a meal 2-3 times a week, not eaten every day in large amounts. You would still want to rotate the type of fish you eat and check where it's sourced from.

>fish meme

Fish is no different than meat in terms of it containing bad components- like saturated fat, cholesterol, heme iron, etc. On top of all that bad shit, fish also soak up pollutants. Methyl-mercury, ddt, polychlorinated biphenol (pcbs),

We have a couple of studies showing pregnant women that eat tuna crank out babies with a lower average IQ by about 8 points- maybe from brain shrinkage (pike and swordfish led to a drop of 10 IQ points on average). Studies have also shown attention span reduction from developmental (eating fish at a young age) methylmercury exposure which suggests frontal lobe damage. In japan they found a higher risk of suicide in the highest EPA and DHA intake groups (fish eaters)- in male nondrinkers. Same result was found in the Mediterranean- higher intakes of fish increased risk of mental disorders like depression. Same was found in U.S. cohort study- showed increased fish consumption increased higher suicide mortality (study claims not statistically significant, but should be situated in light of other studies).

That shit is no joke. Don't fuck with fish or fish oil supplements.