How important is it to do strength training before you do an intermediate routine?

I started doing PPL as a beginner and have been at it for 2 months now. I read that it is an intermediate routine and that you should do strength training before you do PPL but I didn't care and started anyway without having done Starting Strength or any other strength routine first. Does this matter in any way?

I would say it's a better idea to get as fast as possible and then do PPL. But that's just me.

IMO SS teaches you some valuable lessons about lifting.

PPL is a meme workout routine either way.

Depends on your goals, do you even want to get strong? PPL can be good as long as you progress with weight and don't rely only on isolation exercises.

>I read that it is an intermediate routine and that you should do strength training before you do PPL
that is wrong, but it's true that you should do a novice routine (for example SS) first because they're designed to take advantage of the extremely rapid progress a novice is capable of.
>but I didn't care and started anyway without having done Starting Strength or any other strength routine first. Does this matter in any way?
you would have made faster progress on a novice routine, but in the long run it doesn't matter.

I found after the first two months ppl 6 days a week was too much to recover from so dropped down to 3 days a week at which point ss just made far more sense.

(not OP)
I just started SS this week, after two months or so of just doing whatever the trainers at my gym told me to do.
I don't have anybody to coach me, and I am just trying to teach myself proper form. Is this a terrible idea?
I actually love the lifts and it feels good to do them. But I'm terrified of injuring myself by having bad form.

Side note:
My gym is garbage SODO-SOPA shit with great facilities and lots of room in the machine area, and zero space in the corner of the
basement where they put the freeweights and barbells.

Here in Brazil, gym employees' jobs are to tell people how to work out, and you have to try really hard to get them to go away.
They just had me using machines.

I would switch gyms but this one is across the street from my house, and there aren't any better options closeby.

Please read the book. Watch his YouTube too.

okay, thanks, will do

im so tired of this fucking board, every routine is a meme lol. being here as a beginner is frustrating af

i know it's probably low tier bait but whatever

>How important is it to do strength training before you do an intermediate routine?

You are asking the wrong question. The question you are trying to ask or should be asking is

How important is it to do a beginner routine before you do an intermediate routine?

Why would you do a weekly progress routine when you can PR every 2 days on every lift your first 6 months? Stop being stupid.

The key is critical thinking
The content is actually all here on the board but you kind of need to sift through the shit

No routine is really a meme if you make progress and meet your goals

Do Starting Strength for one week using your current 5 rep max squat.

If you are able to add weight to the bar the next session and the session after that, you are still a novice per Mark Rippetoe.

no, thousands of people teach themselves to squat, bench, deadlift and press properly without ever getting a coach. just read the book and watch videos on youtube. the ones by the art of manliness are great

DDRRRAHHVE YERR ASS BREHHT

lel

>how important is it play the drums if i want to buy a car?
kys yourself

it 'could be' important in that some argue you'll eventually make faster gains that way

but it's completely unproven, and imo doens't make much sense in theory either

everyone who says otherwise is a top tier broscientist. unfortunately Veeky Forums is still in the thrall to the SS troll (the most successful troll of all time) so people will hate this, but there is literally no proof to any of the claims people make about SS being better for aesthetics

Does it matter? Yes, you'll make slower size gains, because you'll be lifting babyweight. The only people who get away with curling 15 lbs dumbbells for 100000 reps are roiders m8.

Yes.

It's not about goals. It's about not wasting your time doing stupid shit.

Record yourself and get feedback from workout to workout.

Essentially the gist of it.

Yes. You can just get reviews online, for free.

First year of lifting will result in very little actual muscle growth, but a lot of strength gains. This is why you do a strength based routine regardless of your goals, because there's no point half-assing strength and half-assing volume when you could milk your beginner gains for everything before continuing.

It makes a lot of sense in theory. The only real counterargument is that since size gains are mucher slower than strength gains, one should start with size as early as possible and focus on strength later. The counterargument to that is that if you make a lot strength gains early on, you can go heavier for your volume work and thus make more size gains, even though you started with strength.

Let's say you do 3 months of strength THEN 9 months of size, compared to 9 months of size THEN 3 months of strength. You'll be weaker & you'll probably be smaller in the last example, because in the first example you did 9 months of size with more weight.

and to add, the counterargument to the last argument then becomes:

I don't have to spend ANY time on strength, so I could do just 12 month of size versus 3 months of strength and 9 months of size.

You have to focus on progression if you want to grow. You can't just ignore strength. SOMETHING HAS TO INCREASE.

This is how all the bodybuilders trained back in the day. I don't know why people who's on the bodybuilding side argue with this. They used to go heavy all the time and look at their phsyiques compared to the post-yates era.

This is a retarded meme. PPL is great for strength.

If your "intermediate" routine doesn't train for strength what the fuck are you doing

>the most successful troll of all time

SS only mutates autists into T-Rex mod. GOMAD remains the most successful troll, giving all those beta's diabetes instead.

There needs to be the equivalent to "tits or gtfo" for people who make blanket statements about tried and true methods.

Post body+ timestamp or leave, dyel

Inb4 excuses

I 90% agree with this except for stupid shit like "One body part /day / bro splits"

If you're not working a muscle more than once a week you're missing out on serious gains, even with juice. Heck, especially with .

People may make gains working a muscle once every 7 days but they could literally double the gains with double the effort.

>first year of lifting
>very little muscle growth

Your DYEL is showing, friend