/owg/

/owg/ - A thread for the discussion of weightlifting and all things related. Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

>let's try again edition

>If you are new to weightlifting please read these first and check the other sources they link to before asking questions:
pastebin.com/1HgVcGam
pastebin.com/wCXeXfkk
chinfl.blogspotco.uk/2013/07/how-into-weightlifting.html
reddit.com/r/weightlifting/wiki/faq
iwf.net/doc/technical.pdf
yashathoughts.com/

>The information that you are looking for is probably in the above links.
That includes routines, shoes, information on the lifts, etc. Check out the pastebins for literature or the reddit faq for general information.

Included in this youtube playlist are videos related to weightlifting which you may find useful or insightful:

youtube.com/channel/UCl3WCm2GfvLxvH877oJ1xEA/playlists

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1ecvtjMa9FA
youtu.be/1gRmujdHY84?t=3m10s
youtube.com/watch?v=AS3yhyiA9EY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

Is this the new Overwatch General?

Do singlets require much breaking in before wearing? I would assume not, but someone at my gym seems convinced they do

comp tomorrow lads

wish me luck!!

gl fampai

So I realized I can't go attempting my 5RM on my back squat every week on TM anymore after failing attempts on the designated day the past two weeks (like today). I've decided to try out the Cowboy Method for squats since I rarely do high volume work and have usually been doing high intensity every week, but I'm not sure if I should jump straight into it or take a deload week before starting the program.

Immobile fuck here. I have been doing some stretches on the daily to try and get more overhead stability and actually be able to do overhead squats without looking like a starfish.
So far I've been doing banded ankle dynamic stretches, foam roller "turf angels" stretching of the lats, T spine and neck.

I also have a thing where one of my arms currently is limited in ROM when under load.

What else is there to do besides actually doing overhead squats?

GL HF
What's your weight class?

repeated slow snatches with barbell or broomstick for many many reps. Your body will eventually begin to loosen up and you can settle into positions. I used to try to do a billion stretches and roll, but nothing was as effective as just doing lots of warmup reps with the bar. Of course it'll feel gunky for the first few times, but you'll notice it getting easier and easier.

Today I did use a broomstick for a few sets and then a training bar, then attempted power snatches with an empty bar.
My feet turn way outwards in the catching position. anything to remedy this besides doing a lot of reps?

turn out, or land far apart? If the former, nothing wrong with that. If the latter, you probably just need to get comfortable catching in the hole.

Thank you.
Now I feel less weird. Weightlifting is basically gymnastics!

youtu.be/1ecvtjMa9FA

Have you guys seen this? I thought it was kickass how well he was doing these barefoot, but why does he do the pause?

youtu.be/1gRmujdHY84?t=3m10s
wow so realistic

If I'm a total beginner to lifting and I want to get into Olympic weightlifting would it be better to do a strength training program first or just jump straight into doing Olympic weight lifting?

I'm going to buy some new workout clothes soon, looking to get enough outfits for eight workouts. What do you guys recommend?
On an semi-related note, I sometimes have problems with the bar bruising my Johnson on the way up, in the second pull. Maybe it protrudes a little more than usual, but in any case I'm looking for ways to fix this problem.

you should learn how to do the lifts and lifts that help towards the oly lifts (front squats, high pulls, block cleans/snatches, etc...). you can incorporate strength training programs along with improving the technique

my coach has me doing mostly snatches, cleans, or jerk variations

he only has me do squats 1x/week and snatch/clean pulls 1x/week each

i feel like there's not much strength work, but my coach is a national champ and has a shit ton of experience coaching.

i used to wear them for wrestling

if they fit you then you're good

So then should I do a beginner program and add some lifts that help will Olympic lifting as accessories or just replace lifts in the beginner program?

not the guy you're replying to but just go to an oly gym

you can't do the lifts until you know how to squat deadlift and shit

they'll teach you the basic lifts and watch your form. you'll probably end up getting bad habits and shit if you learn it yourself just look at all the form check vids here

>at most 200kg
>anywhere near a world record
Shit man, they didn't even have enough fake plates to get to "over 500 lbs"

Just look at that terrible form desu

>Today is my wife's birthday
>this is for her

I've hurt myself (neck, back-left side) twice doing high pulls, seemingly because I don't properly brace when catching the weight. How the hell can I do this and similar exercises without destroying my neck?

(Total noob, we're talking like 55kg here)

snatch pulls*

What do you mean you're catching the weight when doing pulls?

Your coach knows his shit. Don't compare your training to elite lifters or idiots in these threads. 90% of the "lifters" here have shit programming for their level.

There can be many reasons that your coach does that

1) More strength work will hinder your classic lift sessions, making you slower and less sensitive

2) You will just power and muscle everything

3) He is testing how your body handles certain type of volume / intensity

4) He's about to slowly increase the stress to avoid burn out

My most succesful programs in oly lifting are those where the strength work is mild.

I dont /owg/ but I do power cleans/snatches.

Is it weird that my power snatch is more powerful than my power clean?

>oh wow babe, a webm of someone else doing something impressive
>you shouldnt have

The user you're responding to is quoting what Klokov said in the video. Unless you're trying to meme here.

I stand corrected
>oh wow babe, you picked up something heavy for meee
>that's really special and totally out-of-the-ordinary for you to do
>I mean, it is literally your job
>and way better than that expensive restraunt I've been hinting at for months

t. never tried dating anything but high maintenance, but never actually got a date, just rejections

noob question: when people say lock-out, do they actually mean fully lock out the joint? doesn't that put you at risk for catastrophic failure, or are elbows actually strong enough to safely handle it?

If you marry someone with standards so low as to think a lift is a great birthday present, I fear for your offspring, because you married a literal retard

>thinks it's a birthday present
nice, this is why you are never getting laid

> Keep the insults and shitposting to a minimum.

Fuck you too.

It's fine for the most part. youtube.com/watch?v=AS3yhyiA9EY

I think he only said that to try and make the crowd go "aaaawwwwwww" because y'know a huge part of his job is being a showman so a nice image is important.

This is why you'll never be great
1) A strong athletic body isn't just for the husband to admire
2) in a career where the entire point is being strong, continuing to be strong/stronger is great for keeping the money going. Many men are only at the level they are because they care enough for their family
3) that really wasn't a present, more like motivation to succeed given to him by his wife

>My most succesful programs in oly lifting are those where the strength work is mild.

i guess i was kinda missing the forest for the trees, fair enough

I tried a belt and it made getting out of the hole much easier. Does this just mean my abs are weak or something else? I don't want to buy a belt because I would look like a try hard faggot if I can't squat 3 plates and have autism shoes (romaleos) and a belt on. Any assistance exercises that will make me become the belt are appreciated. Thanks.

>Does this just mean my abs are weak
yeah

I wouldn't necessarily call them weak. But they are one of your limiting factors.
I wouldn't worry about that, though. The goal of strength training in sports isn't to lift more weight. It's to get stronger. You will always have something be a limiting factor, your choice to assist them will do two things: make the limiting factor weaker in relation to the rest of the muscles being used and allow you to use the rest of your muscles to their full potential

Strength training is about balancing the two out.
Personally, the only assistance things that I like to use are straps for heavy pulls. It's just so disheartening holding a weight I could clearly do, but it's falling out of my hands. Belts, I'm less keen on because abs are a central part of the exercise (and I could never reach full range of motion with one). But it's a matter of personal preference

Bump

How do I learn cleans? I know how to do power cleans (maybe not perfectly, but well enough not to kill myself), but once I want to catch it in a lower position, I end up with my legs spread wide apart. Is it a matter of practice or is there some limitation in my body that I can focus on?

Thanks mates.