How do I get into pull ups? I have decent upper body strength...

How do I get into pull ups? I have decent upper body strength, can do 50-100 non stop push ups but can't do even 5 pull ups.

Whats the secret? And by secret I mean a legit method/routine for it.

Should I do them on my arm day, my chest day or on one of my two off days?

Pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_cRfTqUz6Po
100pushups.net/alternative-100-push-ups-programme/21-25-push-ups
elitefts.com/education/training/sports-performance/pull-up-101-part-i/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Buy a pull up bar for your room, about 5 months ago I couldn't do 1 pull up but now since I started doing it every day. I am now able to do 20 Pull ups with no rest because of it. As well as loose weight

Try everyday. Just put up a pull up bar at your door and use it every time you walk through said door.

>can't do five fucking pull ups
>brosplit

How many sets/reps did you do?
I can only do 9 pull ups after doing them every other day at the gym for two months.

Overtraining?

>tfw 20 pullups

As long as your weight is under control, it's simply a process of working up to a full pull up. Start with negatives, then work up to aussie pull ups (inverted rows), then to assisted pull ups. Pull ups with an under-handed grip will also make them easier.

Three years ago I wasn't able to get a single rep, but now I can rack out about 10 before failure. It takes time, but it's worth it.

Is it ok if I cant do them all the way? Would half pull ups get me on my way to full ones?

Hey, I'm trying

Thanks
I'm 170lbs at 5ft 9in, so not exaclty skin on bone but not that overweight

Would training my chest and arms for strength help me with the pull ups?

Pull ups will work your arms, back, and lats for you. Honestly, it's the best upper body compound motion there is, pushups being a close second.

Just work on the progressions. Weights really aren't necessary.

This was the most important step for me personally:

youtube.com/watch?v=_cRfTqUz6Po

100pushups.net/alternative-100-push-ups-programme/21-25-push-ups

Thanks!

I think you meant to post the 50 pull ups program

train your lats, biceps, and delts individually with weights

What exercise should one do when preparing to be able to specifically do chin/pull ups. Too fat and weak at the moment.

Have you read through the thread?

See:

Grip with your hands facing towards you makes it easier, so does putting your hands closer together when holding the bar.

You just have to keep practicing everyday.

Saying you can't even do five means you can probably do at least one.
Add pull ups to two days of your workout
On a day take a low amount of pull ups, even 1, and do three sets of it. On b day do pull ups until failure, and do that three times as well, even if you can't even do one in the second and third sets. Once a day becomes managable add 1 pull up per set

lose body weight and do them every day.
If you can only do 1. Do 1 at 3 points during each workout.
When you can do 2. Do you at 3 different points.
I can pop out about 10 wide griped now.
I consider wide grip pull ups the measure for being in shape.
When you can control your body like that, you are strong

That's a chin up you brainless cunt

I used to be a weakass busta like you, but thanks to the pullup bar in my room my personal best now is at 22 reps.

Shook

Technically, a "chin up" is a subset of pull ups. A pull up is any exercise where you pull your body up to a bar with your arms. That's why aussie pull ups are considered pull ups also.

>elitefts.com/education/training/sports-performance/pull-up-101-part-i/

Good system for figuring out set/rep scheme.

pull up is specifically palms out and chin ups are specifically palms in where i'm from.

i thought those were called australian pushups? hence them being upside down?

ive always heard them called inverted rows or australian pullups. never heard australian pushup, but now ill know if i ever hear it

Do lots of bent over rows, lat pulldowns and just any other back strengthening lifts, losing weight will obv make it easier to do more too, and yeah get a pull up bar in your room and do them every day. Do several sets of 2 or 3 and when you're in the gym like on back day i'd suggest doing assisted pullups for as many reps as you can as a warm up or sets of 10, 15, 25

>overtraining

I cant install one in my room bc i live in the college dorms.
Working on doing them everyday in the gym, do them with assists now, like 4-6 sets. Can do one or two unassisted...my goal is to be able to do 8 unassisted by 2018, w-will I m-make it?

Nah they just hang in the door frame, 2 second install and removal
They're like $15 for one that will work

I thought you had to drill them in?

If the door frame is weak you might actually damage or break it.

I know people say just keep doing them until you can do them, but is there some kind of starting workouts that can be done that'll help the process?

jump up slowly let you down in a controlled manner. Repeat until you get one. From then on just do it every day, as many as you can do. You'll get better quickly. As soon as you can do 15 reps for sets of 5, start using weights

pretty close to what was already said in this thread
ther's no secret to pull ups, it's an easy movement that you have to practice as much as you practice push ups
looks like a nice method. some people say you should avoid going to failure but yeah for me it's the only way to properly measure progress