Rippetoe looks like shit

Why would any normal guy like him? LOL
lmao rippletoad strikes again

"SS and GOMAD"
"do NOT do any accessory work, they are worked enough while you do squats"
"stay away from bicep curls, because your biceps are already getting plenty of work during deadlifts"
"squat everyday because it releases test to make your other muscles bigger"

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/15386-zach-update-2.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he looks like an average blue collar dad

it's called starting strength not starting cutie pie basics.

> newfag comes to Veeky Forums to look good
> people recommend SS
> Newfag is shocked when he has big legs, a decent chest but no arms or back

Retards swear by SS but it's fucking awful for people trying to look good

If you read the book there's a section at the end for accessories

While I agree that Rip is a retard, looks don't say anything about someones ability as a coach.

Just look at boris sheiko, one of the best powerlifting coaches on the planet

This is obv. a bait thread but for the people who legitimately swallow the meme

>Strength coach in his fifties does not look like an athlete!
> Wow he doesn't know shit about "exercising" and losing weight!
absolute, perfect logic

I have no idea why Mark Stupidhoe gets shilled by so many people on the internet. I guess he probably gives good advice for bodybuilders and powerlifters, but 98% of people who go to the gym don't want to become bodybuilders or powerlifters, they go because they want to be healthy and look good.

He's old you faggot, here he is young

Is this real?

yeah, now drink a gallon of milk a day and squat 3 times a week

Never been confirmed, might be roger estep but people on the ss forum who know mark say it's him

no its some bodybuilder

it's not rippetoe

>"A real man should weigh at least 200 pounds"
>"Luckily that applies to me because of my gigantic gut"

That's not Rip buddy.

how long do you think it takes to look good, faggot?

6 months? If it were that easy everyone would do it.

It takes years of lifting to look good. 4 months of T-Rex mode isn't going to kill you if it means you can more easily transition to a hypertrophy program

SS is FANTASTIC for people trying to look good because you need to be strong in order to do a program that will make you look good.

this fucking board i swear to god

pfft, no one's read that here.

It's rip you idiots

The only valuable advice SS provides is to work out hard focusing on heavy compounds.

It's one step above men's fitness.

It isn't though.

If you had actually read the book then you would have known it has a huge chapter for assistance exercises, even how you should do curls. Chins are already a part of SS so you will laso get bicep work from that

He also spoke about 4th set of 8 reps if the volume is not enough, and you want more muscle growth. I cant remember if that was in practical programming or in an article.

So the thorough scientific examination of the mechanics of each major compound lift, explanation on execution, cues for fixing common problems and diagrams don't mean anything?

>dyels really think SS is bullshit

>>"do NOT do any accessory work, they are worked enough while you do squats"
>"stay away from bicep curls, because your biceps are already getting plenty of work during deadlifts"

confirmed for not reading the book

>Need be strong to look good
>Never working on arms means they don't get stronger
How am I supposed to get good looking arms with SS dumbo

>98% of people who go to the gym don't want to [build muscle] or [get stronger].
In what way is this a criticism of Mark, you stupid cunt?

>"SS
SS is not a sound beginner programme, it will start you out on how to effectively train and get you some noob gains - that's all beginner routines are supposed to do. It doesn't get people to look jacked in clothes? Well, no shit.

> and GOMAD"
Just because most dyels on here are 40% whales doesn't mean there aren't skellies around that eat under 2000kcal/day and make eating a sandwich look like being forced to eat hot coals. And even they probably shouldn't do gomad for more than a month.

>"do NOT do any accessory work, they are worked enough while you do squats"
You haven't read the book.

>"stay away from bicep curls, because your biceps are already getting plenty of work during deadlifts"
"Getting plenty of work during deadlifts, rows and chin-ups," and I agree. Sure, if you want 16" arms anytime soon as a beginner arms you'll have to curl. Sure, curling in moderation won't interfere with your main lifts. But: noobs are retards and if they get told "you can curl occasionally" they hear "curls: all day, every day." Dyels have problems with compliance, best not to temp them at first - not like they will their shot at mister Olympia because they started curling and doing calf raises 6 months after they could've.

>"squat everyday because it releases test to make your other muscles bigger"
>everyday
Ok, nvmd. Fell for the bait.

SS includes chin-ups. Not to mention no one is stopping you from throwing in curls.

I did all kinds of splits for two years, but my wife didn't start spontaneously complimenting my arms until I started doing SS a couple months ago. Most of your arm mass is triceps and you get lots of tricep work through bench and OHP. Chins work biceps. Deadlifts hit forearms. You can't get big arms doing 30 lbs dumbbell curls 3x10 and eating 300 kcal above maintenance nor can you get appreciably stronger doing things that way. It's a fucking trap. Progressive overload is the key, especially if you haven't already taken full advantage of your novice gains potential.

Am I stoked about my pot belly from doing a proper bulk? No. Am I stoked about adding 60 lbs to my bench in 8 weeks and outgrowing the chest and sleeves on all my shirts? You better believe it. And when I've finished SS, I can trim back down and launch into a high volume routine with enough STRENGTH for that volume to be meaningful and productive. There's no reason not to start with a linear progression program and SS is a fantastic option.

His dad could beat up your dad

You can't get big *anything* until you're strong enough to lift that kind of weight.

SS is the fastest way to reach that baseline level of strength.

I think SS is a decent programme and Rip is getting a lot of unwarranted criticism (he is a know it all idiot sometimes, though.)
But your story is bullshit:

>I did all kinds of splits for two years, but my wife didn't start spontaneously complimenting my arms until I started doing SS a couple months ago
Nigga how retarded do you need to be to train for 2 years and still be at a stage where doing a low volume linear overload beginner programme will get you noticeable gains?

>You can't get big arms doing 30 lbs dumbbell curls 3x10 and eating 300 kcal above maintenance
Sure, not with 30lbs, but is your implication that you can't get big bis with curls? That's idiotic.

>Am I stoked about my pot belly from doing a proper bulk?
With any disicple, even an advanced natty lifter has no reason to ever, ever be above 20%BF.
>Am I stoked about adding 60 lbs to my bench in 8 weeks
Confirmed for dyel.
>outgrowing the chest and sleeves on all my shirts
It's called getting fat or being a faggot that wears skintight clothes.

There's no shame in just having started to lift, congratulations. But don't fucking larp as an experienced lifter and don't give out advice until you know what you're talking about.

You're a precious little twat that doesn't deserve a reply, but here you go.
>Your story is bullshit
It isn't. I have no reason to lie and I'm not e-statting.
>Nigga how retarded do you need to be to train for 2 years and still be at a stage where doing a low volume linear overload beginner programme will get you noticeable gains?
Pretty retarded. I should've started with SS, but like many people who want to be aesthetic above all and failed to do adequate research, I spent way too long doing high rep schemes with bitch weight and not eating enough because I didn't want to get fat. Surprise: I didn't get fat, but I didn't get strong or built either. You can't build muscle lifting light weights. I was retarded. People here should learn from my mistake.
>is your implication that you can't get big bis with curls?
Lmao you stupid fuck. No, the implication is that lightweight isolations will not give you big muscles. This is why you need linear progression. Greater strength = heavier lifts, leads to higher volume = bigger muscles.
>With any disicple [sic], even an advanced natty lifter has no reason to ever, ever be above 20%BF.
Well I'm not advanced, so let's set that aside from the start. I'm also not 20% bf. As a typical male, my body likes to store fat on my gut and if you eat 3,500 cal/day starting at 170 lbs at 5'11", you're going to gain some fat in addition to muscle. Making my peace with that was the first step on the road to real gains.
>Confirmed for dyel.
Post body.
>It's called getting fat or being a faggot that wears skintight clothes.
It's called lifting heavy and eating will mean medium t-shirts stop being comfortable after a few months.
>don't fucking larp as an experienced lifter and don't give out advice until you know what you're talking about.
I think you're the LARPer, friend. It's pretty funny that you criticize Mark as a know-it-all, then spew a bunch of self-righteous shit here about how nobody but you can speak about lifting.

Rippetoe is also cripppled and can't deadlift or squat without knee wraps and a belt

>I spent way too long doing high rep schemes with bitch weight and not eating enough
That's exactly my point. SS worked for you 2 years into lifting because you were lifting like shit - you are saying so yourself so why are you butt-hurt when somebody else points it out?

>Lmao you stupid fuck.
Deal with that unprovoked hostility, will 'ya.

>disicple [sic]
Also on the autism.

The point is: people who shit on SS for being "just a beginner programme" are idiots, people who mistake it for something to come back to even later on ie. confuse high-intensity blocks with linear overload are just as bad. You made it sound like you think just that.

>you criticize Mark as a know-it-all
Fuck off, I like him as a person and everything: But he likes to play the contrarian even when it makes no sense and he loves to surround himself with yes-men who parrot only what he likes to hear.

>I didn't get fat
>pot belly

>not fat
>pot belly
sure thing.

You didn't point out anything. You accused me of pretending to be an advanced lifter when my entire point was that I wasn't and that I made mistakes when starting out years ago. You accused my story of being bullshit because you're just bad at reading.

I'm currently 186 lbs at 5'11. That's not fat.

>Someone who benches / rows 2pl8s for reps and does +45lb. weighted chins doesn't have strong arms

the fucking DYEL on this sub is too much for me

>You accused my story of being bullshit because you're just bad at reading.

>I did all kinds of splits for two years, but my wife didn't start spontaneously complimenting my arms until I started doing SS a couple months ago.
Ie: "I trained for two years but SS still got me benefits."

If you had said, "I did all kinds of broish/improper/men's health splits" or something then I would have gotten the point.

When you say "pot belly," that kinda implies being fat. That's like saying "I'm short as fuck" (while being 6') and then getting mad that someone takes your exaggeration as fact.

>this sub
?

swag

>swag
?

>6 months?
Actually if you're starting off skinnyfat and put as much effort into benching, OHPing, rowing, chins, and curls 3x a week as SS followers put into squats and hit legs once a week then you'd look pretty decent after about 6 months.

It's exactly the same how if you do SS for 6 months you'll have started to build some pretty decent quads. Are they amazing? No, but they still don't look dyel.

You won't be big, or shredded, but you won't look dyel, and by normie standards you'd look muscular.

Lol nope. This is pure delusion. You will still be dyel even by normie shit standards

it doesn't matter how much "accesstory" work you do, the main problem with SS is that you squat DOUBLE the amount of times you train your upper body. Not only this, but because our legs are so huge in comparison to our bodies, they respond the fastest to growth. If you want to look good DO NOT every session, instead squat once a week

You're suggesting that people are either cut with blocky abs or obese. That's a false dilemma. Makes me think you don't actually lift and you're here role playing.

So you can get decent legs and 6 months doing some hard squats 3x a week, but not a decent upper body doing a hard upper workout with compounds? That's funny, because that's exactly what I did after SS and got way better gains.

Though I didn't do any lower body work because they were way out of proportion. I can tell you just started lifting not too long ago on SS and respond to these threads to convince yourself you made the right choice. Just know that there are way better options out there, and that the dogma you've learned browsing the SS forums isn't always the best COA.

>train for a year
> thus my theory for 6 months to look good will work
Are you okay?

Been lifting for three years you're just making stupid statements.

Where did I say I've trained for a year?
>theory
Try anecdote.

>So you can get decent legs and 6 months doing some hard squats 3x a week, but not a decent upper body doing a hard upper workout with compounds?

Yep. That's because the quads are enormous muscles compared to the ones in your upper body.

>That's funny, because that's exactly what I did after SS and got way better gains.

>after

yawn

No, I'm suggesting that "pot belly" (at least where I'm from) doesn't merely mean "a slight gut" or "no abs showing" but something you can rest a beer on while standing up.

>barely bench 1pl8 for a 1rm coming off 3 months of SS
>bench 2pl8 for triple 5 months later, and a 245lbs bench max 1 month after that

Yeah, it was clearly that great strength base SS got me.

Don't even bother man. The guy is a delusional retard that thinks his arms exploded when he just got fatter.

Further proof is that bench easily goes up in relation to body weight.

A full body program that actually works:

A day -
Bench 3x5, deload 15% and hit 2x10
Bent over rows 3x8
Incline DB 3x10
Tricep pulldowns 3x10
Neutral grip chin-ups 3x5 (into weighted)
Hanging leg raises 3x10

B day-
Squat 3x5, deload 15% and hit 2x10
OHP 3x8, super set one arm upright rows 2x10
Diddlies 1x5
Barbell curls 3x8, superset any DB curl 2x12-15
Hanging leg raises 3x10

5x5s are a meme. You shouldn't do pure 5x5s until the weight is heavy enough to warrant it.

You will never get too much volume from baby weights, even as a beginner. If you're afraid of overtraining on bench with lmao1pl8 then you feel for Rippletits scare tactics.

Dyel

I kinda get a repressed gay vibe from him

Your routine is a little scarce for me but I really like deloading and hitting volume on your big compounds. Going to start incorporating that.

Lmao, that wall you built around your ego telling yourself that your dyel 15in fatceps are bulging mounds of meaty muscle crumbling down?

Enjoy your shit physique and terrible strength proportions when you finish SS ;)

>calling someone a dyel because they don't think SS will make your arms blow up
this is retro simplistic shit-posting, isn't it?

No but this is

But with straps and a belt he can lift 5pl8 despite being what, in his 50s?

I have no fat on my arms.
He doesn't have any understanding of body composition, despite being given height and weight. He talks about the body the way a JRPG game manual does, with no concept of realistic proportion. I submit that he doesn't even lift.

But starting strength is 3x5
Not everybody is retarded m8 on a cut I reached 205 3x5 on SS and 225 as 1rm at bw of 161

>I have no fat on my arms.

Post 'em big boy ;)

he's 61 now

So you did SS a program that lasts 4-7 months then you did another program, you're not going to stay your upper body exploded in less than another 3-6 months.

So a year estimate is not far off.

Provided you aren't lying your ass off, you're in the extreme minority of people that end up with a decent bench doing SS. I've never seen anyone, even fat GOMAD tards say they got to a 2lp8 bench by doing SS.

I know I'm the opposite and not only had a bad bench, but a shit bench coming off of it, but most people barely hit a bw bench, and that's if they start off a skelly. Fatties seem to stop making gains around 160-190 for working sets.

Not big. Just bigger than I used to be and getting bigger doing SS. That's progress. Get a load of these fatceps.

Let's see yours, Mr. Physiology Expert.

>startingstrength.com/resources/forum/mark-rippetoe-q-and-a/15386-zach-update-2.html

>I've never seen anyone, even fat GOMAD tards say they got to a 2lp8 bench by doing SS.
>His bench is at 240 x 5, DL is 325 x 5, press is about 145 x 5, PC is about 176 x 3.

Let me see you backpedal though, saying that well now he looks like shit, when you said even fatties never reach that.

>essentially zero upper body gains for 3 months of SS
>amazing gains over the next 6

Not wasting 3 months on SS would have gotten me nearly identical upper body results. Maybe bump it up to 7 months if I'd forgone SS in the first place for the sake of argument.

>He doesn't have any understanding of body composition

Okay, you're 84.5kg and 1.80cm.
You claim to have a "pot belly."
Let's assume that at the very least that means a BF% of about 20.

That's a FFMI of around 21.
Maybe if the only thing you trained were your arms, you could have anything other than unimpressive fatceps at those stats.

I don't get why you're so upset. You yourself are saying you're on noob gains, and have a pot belly. So why do you insist that you somehow have huge arms? Who gives a fuck.

ONE FINAL TIME FOR THE RETARDS:
SS won't give you huge arms, not because it's a bad programme, but because SS is a beginner programme and beginners don't have huge arms. It's not a fault with the programme.

>literally picking the poster child of SS that had personal coaching by Rip the whole way so he could use him to sell more books and get more retards to take his SS coaching course

Is pic related a better beginner program than SS? Its what I started doing a couple weeks ago.

Post pic lets see these amazing gains of a guy that didn't do any lower body after 3 months of not getting gains.

Also what bw/height are you? Because you're sounding like the teens that do push ups here and there and think their low body weight makes them look juicy.

>Not big.
Agreed (also probably about 15-20%BF), and you spent all this time arguing that SS gives you big arms. What the fuck is even going on?

>literally not an argument.

kek

GSLP works better for most non-athletes than SS. But there isn't that huge a difference when you compare it to SS+chins.

better is subjective and depends on goals but i think Greyskull is great

I like SS for beginners due to the simplicity of it and Rippletits posting a book to perform lifts safely etc etc...

However I think as long as you do your compounds, get your diet in place alongside sleep and you go to the gym 3+ times per week then any program should work.

I see nothing inherently wrong with your program.

I'm not 20% body fat and I don't have fatceps. And I didn't say I had huge arms. I said my wife didn't start spontaneously complimenting my arms until I started SS after having spent too long on splits lifting baby weight. That's a fact. I tell her she's crazy and that they aren't big, but she insists they are. I mention it as an indicator that you do develop arms doing SS, despite what some people here will tell you.

My belly is bigger than I would like. Why are you being so autistic about my word choice. "Soft." How's that?

Still waiting for you to post body, btw.

He's a retard. I'm nearing 2pl8 bench now. I hit 190 3x5 this week on SS, which was a fun milestone since it means my bench exceeds my bodyweight.

BigGER arms. I started out Auschwitz mode.

so what, strength is pretty easy to maintain until you are in your mid-late 60s. I know a few older guys in their 50-60s who were so strong they'd put everyone on this board to shame, without even trying.

Except there's a video of rip lifting 5pl8 and you could be making shit up just because you hate SS.

I got to a 2.5pl8 bench doing SS.

You absolute fucking retard. The point of SS is to quickly build strength for BEGINNERS, thats why it´s called STARTING Strength you illiterate cunt. The program IS benefical even if your goal is pure hyperthrophy because doing it and getting stronger allows you to use heavier loads for your volume work later on.
Upping your numbers is absolutely vital, something fucktard DYELS like you forget. You think 10-12 reps for "lol i dunno whatever burns" is gonna get you anywhere?
Let me guess, you have been using the same dumbbells for chest for half a fucking year and cant figure out why your pecs won't grow? Because you have no progress you tard.
You don't track your reps, don't know what volume it added up to and you´re not even trying to get stronger. Good luck getting swole with a fucking 1,5 plaet bench.
You should have done your basics, kept at it and added volume on the side but no, you copied some fucking 5split trashprogram with pics of zyzz on it didnt you.
Keep pushing those 45 lbs dumbbells around brah, at least you´ll have a decent pump and a "burn" to help you keep your delusion up. Stay forever fucking dyel.

What I don't get is how Rip has a cult following:

>Says he's a shit athlete multiple times
>Calls out fatties and skinnies
>says he doesn't give a shit about getting people abs
>calls vegans, vegeterians people with food disorders
>calls smokers cocksuckers and hopes they die quicker
>never trained any medal winners has however trained athletes
>says his methods are not something innovative multiple times
It seems with nowadays pussy western society and fad routines he should not be as popular as he is.

The only reasons I can think of are his methods work, he does have good understanding of bio-mechanics even though people won't read his book and people are sick of fake natties selling them lies.

This is what I'm thinking. Instead of listening to a bunch of nerds online who want to have an autism fight over what cult program provides the greatest GAINZ EVERRR, maybe just be sane and realize that lifting heavy, eating right, and sleeping enough will make you gain muscle. All of these programs are the same fucking thing with very minor differences in workouts anyway.

My FUCKING DAD is a 50 year old man with abs and 20'' arms and he spends like 35 minutes in the gym 4 times a week and every time I bring a girl to my parents she just has to talk about how good he looks. Also he is a fucking doctor so I figure he knows more than you broscience shitting virgins.

>eat a lot of healthy foods
>lift heavier every time you can
>sleep like a bb
>GASP you can even use machines for some shit

This board is so fucking hilarious
>SQUATS SUCK FUCK YOU RIPPLETITSTST
>NO SQUATS ARE GOD SUCK RIPLLES DIKKK

and the guy meanwhile is living his life and could give a fuck about you idiots

>176lb PC after training
How? My deadlift was around the same when I did my first ever power clean and maxed out at 180 while weighing 180. Is American oly lift coaching really as bad as people say?
>inb4 obsessed
I'm also Amerifat, just never listened to American coaches

two dyels arguing on Veeky Forums

I would post a picture of my body to prove you wrong, but I could be identified based on my scars (used to be involved with a fight club, stabbed multiple times) and my gang affiliated tattoos from when I spent 10 years in one of the toughest prisons in the country (I’m, probably, in the top priority list of the FBI right now).

I know your type, though. You think because you can squat and deadlift heavy that you're a big guy with an impressive physique. I have built plenty of muscle without those autistic lifts. You probably think you're superior because you follow the routines of a fat little redneck man with no real knowledge of building muscular or strength. You don’t know shit about muscles and strength if you have not trained the way I had, I literally learned from the best, and you got no shit on me, you fat autistic neckbeard.

Do you wanna post a video of your PC? let's see em.
>Inb4 I don't take video and I no longer do PCs
Which is literal bullshit since every Oly guy takes videos to improve technique

Good pasta, bad timing. Does remind me though that still hasn't posted body.

Is this a new pasta or is this Kali muscle on fit?

It's been making the rounds for a few days, yes.

Your dad is likely on trt and has test levels twice as high as you

lol this has to be pasta
>You think because you can squat and deadlift heavy that you're a big guy with an impressive physique. I have built plenty of muscle without those autistic lifts.

wtf lel

Bad bait, noone that hates on Mark has ever dared to post a pic of themselves.

Shitpost less, lift more.

>sorry mate don't powerclean anymore
Sure, just give me a few. I'd actually enjoy some critique. 185 is easy for me now, though. I did actually stop training PC after a month (about 4-5 months ago) and only got to 210 for a ORM. Not sure where I'm at now.

It's actually true, those are the typical lifts that you see an autistic guy doing at the gym. I've never needed them, no one does, they are just as retarded as that fat little neckbeard rippleshit.

It doesn't matter though Mark himself says he doesn't care about abs if they want to prove him wrong they need to be stronger