Cardio general /cg/

knees weak arms are okay i guess edition

>your cardio routine
>give other anons advice
>cardio questions and answers
>how to make your routine as effective as possible

I'm trying to get into more of a routine. I run 2 miles a day, well more like run a mile and then kinda jog/walk the rest. I've only been doing this for a few weeks, but I like it so far.

i may not be a physical expert or like trainer or nothin but i play soccer at a pretty high level and the worst part about sprints is the jog back to the line.

the advice i can give is to replace all of the walking with jogging, no matter how slow. even a walk with a hop. you'll really feel it and it keeps the tempo high. so run, do what you gotta do till you can't anymore, then slow it down to a jog, then run some more shit like that. easier said than done, but try it out next time :)

Thanks man, I'll try that tomorrow! I hate cardio, but gotta do it.

i can see cardio must not be a popular topic here lol

what are /cg/'s thoughts on rowing?
will rowing alongside a routine like Greyskull work well to at least become ottermode?

rowing can be pretty intense. took me a second to consider cause the first thing that pops into my mind when i think cardio isn't rowing, but if you've ever watched professional rowing, wew lad those dudes go fucking hard.

also had to google what greyskull was. you do this on the regular??

been lurking for a few months on Veeky Forums, my brother noticed and gave me his old set of dumbbells and his old barbell/plates, Greyskull seems to pop up on here from time to time with good reviews
to answer your actual question, going to start Greyskull tomorrow, alll I did today was practice form with just the bar.

Keep my heart beat 160-185 for 20-40 minutes most days

>>your cardio routine
Jog until my side starts to ache then chang my music mid jog to a fast song with little lead up and sprint until I'm gassed. I also go for a walk before bed.
>>give other anons advice
Ice you shins, always piss and shit before going out even if you have to force it
>>cardio questions and answers
What are you running from?
>>how to make your routine as effective as possible
Listen to sports anime osts

breh i wish u good luck in your lifting endeavors. i need to get back into it but keep using the 5 day a week practice as an excuse not to

this sounds great. how's it working for you?

what is osts

greyskull user here
OSTs=Original SoundTracks I believe
thanks for the good words

>>your cardio routine
Swimming 3-4 times per week. Will post today's workout if anyone is interested
>>give other anons advice
Find a form of cardio you actually enjoy or it will be torture and you won't stick with it
>>cardio questions and answers
Is fasted cardio a meme?
>>how to make your routine as effective as possible
If you're wanting to swim for cardio you must learn good technique/form or you'll be gassed after a few laps and it will be anaerobic

Ok so, i want to start walking long distances instead of running for the sake of my knees (230lbs) I do not know how to swim and i don't have enough money for a bike, plus walking is just so easy, i literally just open my frontdoor.

Give it to me straight, what would be a decent distant to walk everyday? i'm currently doing 5 miles in around an hour or so. is that ok or should i walk more.

5mph is probably jogging or your numbers are wrong.

I do 25 mins of cardio 4 times a week.

Just medium intensity stationary bike for the entire duration. I sometimes do 40 minutes when I'm on a cut.

The secret is to watch anime while biking. I listen to ebooks when I have to bike in meatspace, but I usually just walk to work.

I want to run but every time I do I get a killer side stitch, doesn't matter when i breath or where I lean, it's always there.

Don't know what to do desu.

Had to pick up swimming because stress fractures all up my left shin. My only regret is not doing it sooner, it’s actually pretty fun. How is it so much more taxing though, I can run a half marathon but can barely swim half a kilometer

I like to ride 22 miles or more daily (in about an hour + 40mins or so) weather permitting... up to about 50 a day on the weekends..
Usually do close to 200 miles a week

Changed my life
332lbs to 227ish

Run slower

Take a swim lesson, if you know how to float you can get the basics of freestyle in an hour. You will be pretty inefficient for a while though. Also, 5 miles in an hour is faster than walking, that’s a 12 minute mile.

Trying to drop my mile and a half run time, so I usually do either 400m or 800m repeats twice a week, quick 5k once a week and then one longish run cross country about 5 miles once a week as well, and the occasional few miles in minimalist shoes to work on my form and thrash my calves.

post todays workout, very interested

what anime do you watch?

you mean like a cramp?

>what anime do you watch?

I fell behind pretty hard so I'm watching Fall 2016 right now, basically anything that seems interesting from the season.

I'm watching Fune wo Amu right now, but it's not that great.

I thought 30 minutes was the minimum for heart health benefits

Are your knees actually bad or are you just listening to the memes?

I run almost every day and I started at 264 (220 now). My knees feel better running than they do bent at work all day. I usually do 3-5 miles at a 7:30-8:30 per mile pace.

Implying I do this shit for heart health.

Also I walk to work which is 10 mins there, I walk back, another 10 mins. And I go out to eat half the days, and I usually just walk there as well.

That's more then enough.
Good on you.
Just up the frequency and bobs your uncle.

Maybe at light intensity. I usually do 20 mins at uncomfortable pace and my heart rate has dropped to the low 50s and bp is super low as well.

I think it's because water is 1000 times more dense than air

Today's swim workout
>400 freestyle warmup
>4 x 50 IM order @1:00
>4 x 50 freestyle build @1:00
Repeat both sets of 50s
>300 breastroke kick
Medley Mayhem
>4 x 25 medley order @ :30
>1 x 100 IM @ 2:00
>4 x 50 medley order @1:00
>1 x 200 IM @ 4:00
>4 x 100 medley order
>1 x 400 IM @ 8:00
>1 x timed 200 IM
>5 minutes rest
>1 x timed 400 IM
I havent been able to do the final 400 IM of this set yet. It's a killer

i jump rope for 20-25 min after each training session. freestyling if real fun and makes the cardio workout actually enjoyable.

Could you clarify your formatting? Like what's the difference between 1x100 IM and a 2x200? Also what are the @?

used to run two miles on the gym equipment, started running three miles around and beyond campus

I'm still not certain what cardio accomplishes though. Yeah it's healthy but why would I do it if 90% of cutting requires food choice and the other 10% should be done weightlifting?

Not like I can back out, I've committed to other people. And it's gonna get in the way of my weights schedule. Frig.

I really do want to run, but my knees have been absolutely ruined from years of pounding the pavement at 300+ pounds and old football injuries. I had this sprinting workout that I would do every night

So I power walk and do full body tabata workouts and occasionally do burpees.

A favorite of mine is doing a five minute warm up then doing

20 squats
10 pushups
5 chinups
30 seconds rest
nonstop for 15-20 minutes.
Completely kicks my ass.

Currently on a stationary bike.

How good is it? I have asthma and am skinny fat, get winded easy.

I'm losing weight. I walked 43k steps (about 20km, roughly) and my legs were sore for a few days after.

Could i get them used to that kind of distance if I keep it up fairly regularly? I usually walk 15-20k steps a day.

I do a similar cardio routine on top of lifting. Since you started have you been getting frequent light headedness or fainting? I think it could be related to the low bp.

Very. As long as you are consistent and find yourself breathing heavy and your heart rate is slightly elevated.
If you don't want to do that you can just paddle on it for an hour and still burn some calories and get a fit doing that as well

Yes, but you're going to have to get used to your legs getting sore for a while.
But if you're feeling it in your knees or ankles or joints then you might have to half that and slowly build up to that 20km distance.

What do you mean by good? Its a bike so you can work hard enough to puke and give yourself a heart attack or slow enough to go literally all day.

Personally I hate stationary bikes with a passion, when I'm on one all I can think about is how I could be outside riding a real bike feeling the wind in my hair and going where ever I want.

I'm walking at a quick pace 3.5 miles in about an hour with varying inclines.
Trying to lose more weight, can't really run, but I just can't keep up a jog.
Currently 278lbs, but I have lost around 40 lbs in total over the course of dieting and moving around more.

40 is good, keep it up
Try running though, go out of your comfort zone if even for a little

The fuck are you doing?
They weight 278 pounds and are obviously out of fucking shape.
They shouldn't even consider running unti they've lost a lot more.

Currently wrapping up week 8 of britishcycling's foundation plan. Really enjoying the progress I'm making. Previously I would just ride how ever I felt like with a long-ish ride once a week but with no real structure. The training plan and especially my heart rate monitor make for effective training. Got a threshold test coming up next week and I'm hyped as fuck and ready to crush it.

What kind of progress should I be looking for? Changes in Lactate Threshold Heart Rate? Changes in speed or distance covered? I'm guessing my perceived exertion should remain about the same, or should I be pushing myself slightly harder than I think I can maintain?

Have access to a bike or a pool or an erg? Cycling/swimming/rowing are all great forms of cardio with little to no impact on your joints. Bonus points if you choose swimming in the form of added buoyancy. I personally enjoy cycling because it gets me outside and exploring the area.

arthritic knee 190lbs at 5'6''
how fast should i put on the treadmill or should i just use the stationary bike to lose weight?

Either way doesn't matter start where your are comfortable and raise the limit as you feel more confident.

Nope, I have nothing and too poor for a gym currently.

I have done sprinting for about 30 seconds or as long as I can go.
I'm 6'5" and running with this weight does hurt my knees after a bit.
Hoping to at least get down to 250 and jog consistently and then get to running.

Yup. It's from your BP being so much lower than your body was used to. I get it every time I stand up quickly now. I'm sure it will fade over time as you adapt.

Friendly reminder that if your knees hurt after 30 minutes of running and you aren't morbidly obese you probably have shitty running form. Try to land on the balls of your feet so that your ankles can share the impact with your knees. If you land on your heels, the entire impact goes through your knees

>10 miles bike
>15m break
>10 miles bike

Alternate with 1 mile running, 1 mile walking, 1 mile running, every other day. I wish my apartment complex had a legit pool, instead of a small relax and tan kind of a pool. I want to swim as well, but don't want to pay an extra 400 every 6 months for pool access.

Jump rope is the only cardio that I can do more than 5 minutes.

OP here.

ty for populating my thread anons :^)

ay at least you're doing something. 5 minutes more than those on the couch, but try to upgrade a little more each day at least.

no lakes in your area? within like 10 miles?

bump

Cardio kills gains if you're an ecto.
I run once a week for 20 mins otherwise ill turn Auschwitz mode.

Wish women evolved to be attracted to runner physiques, my life would be so much easier.

I do 6-10 minutes of HIIT every day, after lifting. Once I started, the last body fat I was trying to drop just melted off.

HIIT is a meme

sick dude that's what i like to hear. who's that in the pic? a girlfriend?

also wtf is HIIT

literally no

High-Intensity Interval Training. Going harder for shorter periods of time gives you a sick after burn that burns calories after you finish exercising. also some studies have shown that it can increase basal testosterone levels for 24 - 48hrs post workout.

Do you what you want, guy, but it has worked wonders for me.

Eh, the pic is just a random beach pic. Some people will give it shit or call it a meme, like that guy, but HIIT is high intensity interval training. Alternating between times of maximum exertion and rest periods. Many submit that it is both a better exercise for the heart and more efficient fat burner.

I used to do it on the treadmill, but my knees aren't the best, so I've switched mainly to the stair master. 30 seconds of barely moving, stepping very slowly, then 30 seconds of taking two-step strides as quickly as I can. Repeat for 6-10 minutes.

It has been way better than hitting the rowing machine or treadmill for 30 minutes.

About 5-6 miles on my bike 4-5 times a week and I try to to a 20-30 mile trail once every week or so. I got sick of the elliptical shit real quick but the bike is great. This is all just to lose weight though. I may start running when I get to a certain point.

Different user here, I'm glad to hear that it feels like such a short time is still a good workout.

I don't think I could do HIIT for long, but six minutes sounds like a decent start.

I do, 20min sprint intervals mon & wed, 45min cycle intervals tue& thurs, after my weight sessions. my cycles are pretty chill. If I had to give any advice with adding any type of exercise is to build gradually and prioritise long term maintenance and sustainability over short term intensity (the same can be said for diets). But hey, whatever gets you to the gym I reckon.

there's always that old saying; If they could put the benefits of regular cardio into a drink it'd be worth more than oil.

Yeah, I'd say if you're able to do HIIT for 6 minutes with ease, it probably isn't intense enough. Thats the great thing about the different machines, as you are able to handle more cardio exertion, you can just keep adjusting the speed/resistance level up to where you are always exhausting yourself around 6-8 minutes. Its short, its intense, and the pounds drop off in weeks.

even 10min speed intervals 2-3 times a week, i.e. 1 min on 1min off. is a pretty time effective way to build cardio fitness quickly. it's pretty good for people who aren't naturally good at running as well as there is less impact on the joints for a HIIT sesh than a 30min jog.

There's one near, but snapping turtles and shit in it. I want my fingers and goes and penis intact.

That's very impressive. You should try seeing how fast you can run a mile, and do so again every 2 weeks too see if you can PR.

doesn't entirely fit the thread but nowhere else to ask and i didn't want to make a whole new thread.

anyone else's heart rate really fucked? i'm really unfit - not overweight, but sedentary and never exercise - and when resting it's between 40-50. when i do exercise - again, never do it, but i figured i'd really work up a sweat to see how high my bpm would get - and even then, dripping with sweat, it was just 85. anyone with a similar condition? should i be worried?

2x tabata sessions. You can be done in 10-15 mins. It's quick, increases calories burned after your workout and you feel satisfied after you're done. You may want to build up first if you haven't done much cardio. I normally do one cycle on the elliptical and one on the bike

>hiit routine for me
>warm up, slowly gaining speed for 2 minutes
>go until 10 minutes, alternating 6.5km/h and 12k/h, 30 seconds each
>rest 2 minutes, walking 6.5
>run 4 minutes at 6.5 and 13 (alternating 30 seconds)
>16 minutes now
>start running a minute and a minute rest at 14km/h
>do 5 minute "cooldown" at steep incline, fast walking at 7 km/h

Thoughts??

rowing can be good if you learn to have good technique. the best thing for baseline fitness are long steady state sessions. Keep the rate low (around 18, a matures often go really high) and don't worry too much about your split, as long as you keep it consistent. also don't set the damper to 10 go to more options>display drag factor and row, use the damper to set it around 120.

>your cardio routine
pic related
>give other anons advice
drink water before running, 5g of creatine and a banana
how to avoid side stitches
30mins of warming before up and 30mins of stretching after

>your cardio routine
Cycle twice a day 5 days a week commute = 50 miles
Run 5-6 days a week topped off with long run at end of week on day 5 or 6. Try to top 30 miles or more in total weekly (currently on about 40 this week)
>give other anons advice
Erm? Stretch more.
What is your calorie intake like? This week I have cycled 30miles, run 38. Most weeks as above and I feel like shit.
Keep doing it and mix it up.

>30mins of warming before up and 30mins of stretching after

Wasting time my nigger.

how old are you? that sound killer

Cardio is king.
Your heart powers your cock.
Be a skinny power fucker over a "hunk" with ED.

In my threadmills have air blowers l guess a bike has some too.

What time do you guys workout at? i like the night better cause it's cooler

I'm on the 2nd to last week of couch to 5k and am finally seeing some endurance gains.
My calves always hurt like crazy though, during and after, not shin splint pain either.

Is it creatine that does this? something to do with water retention? Should I just stop taking it on run days?

Can confirm, did my best dicking when I was boxing fit.

Now I'm built but I just don't have the same stamina

early 40s

Full body 3x a week
Run 3x a week

Weds - Intervals over 100m in the park
Fri - 1k repeats in the gym
Sunday - 5k road run

Never felt better desu senpai.

>not sure what cardio accomplishes

>campus

Midnight, always funny having casual conversations with drunks from across the street.

very early in the morning so i dont run into normalshits

Fasted cardio is a meme, even if it has any little benefit for fat loss (which i doubt) it will make you get tired much after and the run wont be as intense as it could be, so you will be burning less calories.
I also have felt like shit when training fasted

>I wish men were attracted to fatter physiques

>>I wish men were attracted to fatter physiques

I wish I had a unicorn.

1 x 100 IM would be 4 lenghts of the pool (25 meters each) in individual medley order (butterfly, backstroke, breastroke, freestlye).

2 x 200 would be two a total of 16 lengths broken into two 8 length swims (8 x 25 meters = 200)

I use the @ symbol to indicate the interval time of each swim. So 1 x 100 IM @ 2:00 would be 4 lenghts individual medley order at 2 minutes, meaning you would swim the 4 laps then rest until the 2 minute mark then begin the next swim in the set.

Hope this helps, it's kinda difficult to put into text

I tried racing a friend in a pool the other week. i've never done swimming seriously before but man it was a workout

I fucking love rowing however - hemorrhoids

The most cardio I do is some mountain climbers, burpees and punches in the air as a warm up before my semi-daily routine. I also bike for like 30min-1h the days I don't.

Is it bad? I know it's more than most will ever do, but I still feel like I'm very deficient at anything cardio. I don't think I'd be able to deal with more than 15 minutes running.

Jack Daniel's Running Formula. Read it. Vice that, just run for 10-20 minutes, walk 5 minutes, run for another period then call it a day. Try to progress the same way you would for weights, meaning try to run a bit faster each week. You'll be a machine if you do this.

>Started cardio a month ago
>No self control or know own body so I go ham and end up hitting around 180bp
>Sprint for 30 minutes at a time
>Losing around 5-6 lbs a week
>Entire neighborhood is covered in puke
>First 2 weeks I would come home and pass out on the couch and sleep for 12 hours
>Can sprint for entire 30 minutes now throwing up while sprinting

My endurance is pretty high now. But I've been less horny.

Since I began taking cold showers every day my cardiovascular health has improved a fuckton. I can last way longer doing anything that's exercise and I have huge veins all over my arms and legs.

Apparently cold showers exersice some tiny muscles that are around the veins whose job is to contract the veins when it's cold and retract them when it's warm. Those muscles when properly exercised they make the circulatory system more efficient, allowing the heart to deliver more blood with less effort and therefore allowing you to do more physical effort than you otherwise would be able to..

That's of course just my understanding of the theory, I'm obviously no scientist but it seems legit to me just out of common sense and personal/anecdotal evidence.

I've been doing this for a couple months or so, I don't really remember when I began, and I take cold showers every day of the week, often twice because it's really hot where I live.

Anyone else have the same experience?

I really fucking hate running but I don't get the same kind of feeling with any other machine. Cycling feels like I have to do it for 10x longer to get the same results.
Running just puts me out of breath in a minute and burns my throat. I'm not even a fat fuck, I've just always been shit at running.
It's also boring as hell.
What are some good alternatives?

I have a 5k in two days and right now i can only jog for about 15-20 minutes before i have to slow down. any tips?

I swim HIIT for cardio. How is this?

4 length warm up

25m sprint
25m active rest slow.
Repeat 6-10 times

Progression.
Add 'sets'
Swim harder

Any suggestions or is this OK?
Can I build tons of stamina this way?

>What are some good alternatives?
Running but with earbuds and listening to music you like.

Or maybe martial arts. Martial arts can be a really hardcore form of cardio. You can't imagine how much effort it takes to throw a decent punch, not even saying more than a few. We absurdly overestimate the strength we have in our arms compared to our legs.

Oh and I do this 2-3 times a week. Is this too little or too much?