I keep hearing that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the best martial art when it comes to a 1vs1 situation...

I keep hearing that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the best martial art when it comes to a 1vs1 situation. They can supposedly beat literally anyone, regardless of whether that person is armed or not. Supposedly the safest martial art if you are facing someone armed with a knife actually. The downside would be that it's useless if there's more than one opponent.

Is all that really true? Is BJJ worth learning?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHDMhbcJvA
youtube.com/watch?v=u-cLDe6lopU
youtube.com/watch?v=Rqf2i_8Y0As
youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4&t
youtube.com/watch?v=U0tKmvBj2pw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>actually thinking fighting someone who has a knife on you
why dont you just hang yourself and save everyone the trouble

Do you think I fucking want to do that? Sometimes it is necessary. I actually live in Brazil and we have very high rates of criminals that rob people with knives and then stab them. It's a necessary skill.

They told me that in Jiu Jitsu you end up grappling your opponent, and that is what makes them unable to use their knife efficiently. They will attack you a few times depending on the technique you're using against them, but it won't do much damage. It'd be almost inevitable to leave the fight unscratched but you'd survive. With most other martial arts, however, you'll be fighting at a distance, and the person with the knife has the advantage then, especially if they actually know how to use a knife in a fight (granted, most morons don't).

Either way I just want to know if BJJ is really the best martial art for 1v1 situations.

Are you fucking stupid. #1 rule you learn in any hand-to-hand martial art is that you avoid street fights and you definitely avoid fighting unarmed against someone with a weapon. It becomes a totally different ball game. The only application of a martial art in the street is to protect yourself.

But yes, almost every street fight leads to grappling eventually so learning to pin someone down and keeping yourself from getting pinned down is helpful.

IRL Usefulness: BJJ > Kickboxing > Boxing > Nothing

I see, user. Thank you.

I was going to do boxing because I want to get in shape, and I heard that boxing builds your body really well, but I might need BJJ for survivability.

Does BJJ build body as well as boxing?

Bjj doesnt train with the idea of having to dodge or parry hits, be it fist or knife, so its not really that designed for such a scenario, blocking immediatly both arms wont be that easy
also cant use vs multiple opponents which would seem more common in a robbery but i dunno
Boxing seems more versatile for that situation, a jab can show good enough that you can fight and can discourage the robber, also can be more or less used vs multi enemies if they suck badly

>Supposedly the safest martial art if you are facing someone armed with a knife actually
>better than the martial art of picking up a lead pipe and bashing their head in

anyway the actual way to try to deal with an armed person if you have to is that you dedicate 100% of your attention and both your hands to grabbing the weapon/hand and trying to control it or take it away from them

>I actually live in Brazil and we have very high rates of criminals that rob people with knives and then stab them. It's a necessary skill.

no one cares about you monkeys

>Guy has a knife
>Get with in touching distance with a guy with a knife.
Dude who are you kidding, throw a right hook and get the fuck out of there.

Any form of grappling is a superior martial art in terms of 1v1. This is because when you grapple, you can go full out against someone who is also going full out on you without injuring yourself. This means that you can do it over and over with smaller risk of injury. You can't do Nate vs Connor and then go on and to fight Rampage Jackson afterward. When you're in the IBJJF tournament, you can do anywhere from 3 to 5 rounds in a single bracket. This gets you plenty of experience without any of the CTE or shattered bones. You cannot get the same amount of experience at full throttle while boxing, kickboxing, or doing striking.

This isn't exclusive to BJJ though, catch wresting, sambo, and Grecko-Roman can provide the same sort of scenario where you can go hard, get up, and then leave afterward. The reason BJJ is better than wrestling is because it is submission grappling. If you want to end a fight, snap the guy's arm or fuck up his knee. If you pin somebody using your wrestling moves, you'd still have to pummel them to deter them from going on. Even if you're not allowed to choke (b/c it's lethal force), you can fuck up, on both sides, their shoulders, elbows, wrists, pelvis, knees, and ankles in any combination. Pull on any one of those joints too hard and a reasonable person would stop.

If you got the upper hand on someone with a weapon, you can put them to sleep with a choke. You shouldn't go up against somebody with a weapon unless you have a better weapon though.

Remember, a BJJ practitioner loses a belt rank after every punch

BJJ is a meme

just learn how to throw a really crisp and accurate right hand to the jaw and run away as fast as you can

Note: this is only applicable if it's 1v1. If the opponent has friends nearby, BJJ is a great way to die, all grappling is. If you think there may be more than one person then you should train boxing and sprinting. Those are literally the only two proven effective systems for surviving a street fight vs multiple opponents.

So basically BJJ > Wrestling > Boxing if it's one on one only
If there is more than one person, then Boxing (and running) > Wrestling > BJJ.

There was a thread earlier today about an Olympic wrestler who got killed because he was fighting more than one opponent. He was fighting one guy and another guy knocked him in the back of the head with a rock. The winner of a street fight is almost always the one whose friend gets there first. I've only ever seen boxers effectively neutralize multiple opponents in a row because they keep distance well, have good footwork and headwork, and keep both feet in play so they can run when they get the chance. Kicks are too high risk. Grappling is too high risk. Going to ground is a fuckin death sentence. Punch and run.

The only good way to win a fight against >1 opponent is running away. Boxing isn't going to stop a rock to the back of your head.

The best way to not get stabbed by some dude with a knife is to be the dude with the knife. Have you considered that?

I've done BJJ for around 3 years and I'm actually brazilian. I don't believe BJJ is the best style for 1v1 simply because grappling is a HUGE risk in a street fight, since the guy might have a knife/buddies to back him up. If you're 100% guaranteed that it's an 1v1 then sure, but even then I don't see why you'd pick BJJ over Boxing or Muay Thai.

Having a punch that can KO most people in a single hit is more valuable than having technique to submit one guy at a time. Also a lot of takedowns involve you throwing yourself at the ground and it's not really practical to do that in a street setting.

If you like BJJ, go for it. But if you're looking to learn something to defend yourself and don't care about style, do boxing or muay thai or anything more impact-based than grappling styles.

Agreed. But of all fighting forms, boxing will give you the best chance of survival and keeps you ready to run away so you can take the opportunity when it presents itself (both feet on the ground, standing up, keeping distance with hands, not committing with kicks or taking someone down, etc.)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=mZHDMhbcJvA

Damn, user, I was so sure on jiu-jitsu but now not anymore. Damn it.

Also brazillian. I prefer to spend my time trying to get out of this shithole instead of getting better chances at not getting murdered in the street. You should do the same OP.

I'm studying Law so I doubt I have any hopes in getting out. My degree only works in this country.

Don't mention it, my brother is in the same shitty situation, he is quite smart too.

I'm on pure math so getting out is really hard because of competition but doable since its laws are universal.

been doing muay thai for 7 months. after 2 years will move to bjj. then another 2 years and boxing or judo, who knows.

>macacada forte aqui hue

This

Fought a bully in school. I threw a right hand punch at his nose as fast and as hard as I could, I even stepped/leaped into it, ended up hitting his eye, broke his glasses. he stood there for a second and then dropped to his knees and covered his eye. After that I ran because I heard some niggers in the background and I didn't want to fight them.

Punching and kicking is where it's at

Also let me add that never looked or spoke to me again

If the bully knew BJJ he would wreck you

If you knew BJJ you would be able to knock him out

It's not a meme, BJJ is simply not the only solution to a problem, punching also works at many times

There is not a single person on the earth who will tell you that grappling with someone with a knife is a good idea.
This isn't the bourne identity nigga. No, even in that movie the dude picked up a weapon or ran if the other guy had a knife or something.

You will get dead.

He*

There are plenty of situations where boxing won't help you against a crowd. Running & guns will always be a superior option against more than one person. He did good keeping his distance, but if he had a handgun, people wouldn't be so quick to chase him.

A gun will probably be better than a martial art if you're thinking about using it "in da streetz."

If you just want to 1 on 1 somebody, no weapons, no items, final destination, then I assert that BJJ is better than boxing per hour put into it.

I didn't say that it was a good idea. Nobody here said that grappling against a knife is a good idea. Who the fuck did you ever hear say that grappling is better than having a knife?

You won't fight unless you really need to, regardless of whether your opponent is armed or not.

If they are armed, you better use BJJ. It's the safest option against someone with a knife. Can't really stab someone's vital areas with too much strength if you are being grappled. Especially because if you do try they will break your arm.

>guns are better than martial arts
oh my, how come NO ONE has EVER thought of this

very curious, I wonder why

you are a genius user thank you

>knock him out
>bjj

You mean choke him out

>if the bully knew bjj

Literally wouldn't change anything, I dropped him after one punch. Grappling does not tech you how to evade strikes only bum rush tackle or be a passive akido-fag

Bjj is a meme

This is the kind of trolling that will get someone killed.

You would not be able to punch him if he knew BJJ because he would grapple you, and if you are being grappled you can't throw any punches or kicks.

If you and your bully knew BJJ, you could ask him to roll with you and then you suddenly have a friend instead of a bully.

boxing is basically landing a punching sequence in someone and then stepping back/sideways where they can't touch you

there isn't a better mindset than this, when it comes to streetfights

Just name a martial art that is safer than BJJ.

Don't get me wrong, you will get hurt if you try to grapple someone with a knife. It's almost guaranteed. But you *probably* won't die.

Now, try using any other martial art. There is a very good chance you will die. It is almost guaranteed if the person with the knife is not retarded and actually knows how to use a knife, because then they will know how to not let you disarm them.

However, just like knowing how to punch is useless when you are being grappled, knowing how to use a knife is useless if your opponent is grappling you.

I think bjj is ok as most martial arts have something to offer.

But the merchandising behind BJJ is anoying. It seems is HUGE bussiness around the world.

Altho grapling may be useful in real life, I would never go to the floor in a street fight. It only takes a scratch to fuck your sight forever. (Is what i would aim for if a superior grappler takes me to the floor)

>"Don't get into streetfights"
>Get out of streetfights

These are better mindsets when it comes to streetfights.

Literally just meming

Anyone can get dropped with a swift punch or kick, you are following the aikido philosophy of "try to attack me" which never works irl only dojos

nigga, when someone wants to kill you the best choice is either running or dirty fighting (eye poking, biting, kicking balls, etc.) no bjj bulshit

>youtube.com/watch?v=u-cLDe6lopU

You would not be able to land a punch in his face if he knew BJJ. In BJJ you learn how to approach them safely and throw them on the floor.

There is a reason why boxers can't beat people well versed in jiu jitsu unless they are ALSO well versed in grappling and know how to get out of a grapple

How do you plan to poke the eye of someone with a knife, bite them or kick them? Are you retarded?

> knowing how to use a knife is useless if your opponent is grappling you.

No, Is super-easy to stab a grappler.
someone that keeps the distance and could land a kick or punch instead...

I agree m80, BJJ is better one v one, as I said in my original post. My only assertion is that if you're fighting unarmed one v many, then boxing will give you the best chance for survival, especially if coupled with a well timed sprint away.
And yeah, obviously a gun will work better. Nothing beats a well placed pipe bomb too.

And here you show your ignorance on other martial arts...

Pocket sand!

KRAV MAGA

>super-easy to stab a grappler
Of course it is easy to stab the grappler. But you won't do any relevant damage. And they will easily break your arms once the grapple is set.

>someone that keeps the distance
If you have a weapon, then by default you have superior range, keeping distance is absolutely retarded. Now THIS is the kind of trolling that gets people killed.

All martial arts will try to close in the distance when dealing with people armed with knives. As much as possible. You want, preferably, to disarm them, or grab their hand. Trying to fight someone wielding a knife with punches is the easiest way to get KILLED.

the legs are usually longer than the arms, you know?

>poke the eye
Are you going to poke their eye with your leg?

>bite them
Do you have teeth in your leg?

>kick them
Now THAT would work

>Of course it is easy to stab the grappler. But you won't do any relevant damage.

ok, trust your life on that """""""fact"""""".

>You would not be able to land a punch in his face if he knew BJJ
> In BJJ you learn how to approach them safely and throw them on the floor.

You are speaking in complete black and white terms which shows that you have been most likely brainwashed.

There is no "safe approach", your dojo shit does is not guaranteed success. Learning BJJ does not make you "invincible" to punches. Reaction timing and speed is beyond essential. Anyone can get dropped with a well thrown punch or kick.

>boxers can't beat people well versed in jiu jitsu

citation needed, you can't even prove that man you have been brainwashed by your dojo, I agree that you need to know grappling to get out of it but you don't need it to be an effective striker.

Not that user but eye gouging and those things are often recommended by the military, it's definitely not something to rule out, if it works use it

>And they will easily break your arms once the grapple is set.

grapling with a piece of steel in the lung would be hard.

So you're going to bet all you have in being able to knock them out with one punch?

You should know that one-hitting people is also extremely difficult and luck based.

If you can't knock them in one hit you're done for against a BJJ user. And the BJJ user probably knows how to avoid being one-hit.

POURPOSELY CLOSING DISTANCE AGAINST SOMEONE WITH A KNIFE EQUALS FUCKING DEATH YOU LUNATIC

THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!

If you're talking about safety in terms of being able to practice a martial art with few injuries then Archery, Tai Chi, I can go on.

BJJ Wrestling does not fucking make you safer. It is the WORST martial art in the world when it comes to unplanned unknown confrontations against an unknown number of attackers and people wielding weapons.

Situational awareness, damned good fitness, boxing and being able to keep your feet and run are far far superior.

Are you a BJJ shill are something?

Not advocating that at all

>If you can't knock them in one hit you're done for against a BJJ user

More black and white terms

Strikers are aware of distance, a grapplers best bet is to either bum rush with a tackle or parry grapple. A good striker is aware of distance and like the grappler tries to close the distance with the most effective weapon of his choice. If you are farther a kick, closer a punch whatever he wants.

>You should know that one-hitting people is also extremely difficult and luck based.

a kick on the groin looks easy.

user is ready to take on the world by using the ancient technique of kicks on the groin

youtube.com/watch?v=Rqf2i_8Y0As

bad instructors exist

If the striker knew elbows knees and kicks and you were the BJJ instructor, how would you handle it?

>You would not be able to land a punch in his face if he knew BJJ
Some jiu jitsu guys have pretty shit reflexes

There's no way out of getting punched like he did. So I'd try not to get punched like that. It's not difficult considering the distance and the speed of the punch, the guy had a pretty slow reaction and/or reflex.

He didn't even get to show any jiu jitsu in the video, so I don't see how this is supposed to be "proof" that jiu jitsu is bad. If he had the opportunity to grapple the other guy it'd be fucking game over, assuming the striker doesn't know grappling. If he knows it's another story entirely, it'd come down to who is the best at grappling, or whether the striker is good enough to at least get out of the grip and then throw more punches.

One of the perks of jiu jitsu is that a small guy can easily pin a 1.85m muscle mountain like that guy in the video.

Okay but what would you use? How would you handle an opponent like that? Or even an opponent who uses kicks and elbows.

Like any other opponent? How does that make him special in any way? People versed in BJJ beat other people well versed in all sorts of martial arts regularly.

I am asking you how you would handle a striker, ie, what moves you would use and you have yet to list any. Do you even know bjj? How do you handle strikers?

another guy here

pretty much block and try to lighten the strikes till i get my chance to take him down and pull on one of his extremities

I'd handle him like I handle any opponent, user.

Every skill is worth learning

Ok, why not just do mma bro? Striking is bad ass, effective and you can always fall back on your bjj or use it when you want but at least you know striking

MMA > Muay thai > BJJ > KickBoxing > Others

youtube.com/watch?v=SGpDVCkhtD4&t
listen to this about martial arts and self defense

Nah if he was doing BJJ he'd just lay on the floor and pull guard on me, where id just stomp on his head and move on

>he thinks MMA is a martial art in the same way muay thai or BJJ are martial arts

By all means do what you like. You can do fucking Kung Fu and walk around with a pocket knife and it's going to be fine. Most people aren't martial artists and not even know how to fight. Life isn't an anime and chances are you won't need to fight, and if you do chances are even lower it's going to be someone trained.

If you want to do jiu-jitsu, go for it. It's not bad by any means, but I'd simply pick something more impact-based if I were to pick a style exclusively because of street performance.

>asking Veeky Forums for martial arts advice

Mistake number 1

Aikido > judo > nin jutsu > tai jutsu > grecco roman > sambo > tasers pocket sand pepper spray > hue hue fighting > mma

i don't train anymore, started with boxing, got too good for the bags and sparring, started doing real fights and after the 4th decided to quit. uncle convinced me to train bjj, learned some, broke a guy's arm because he wasn't tapping and then i quit that too.

don't see the point in it anymore, hurting people just for sport.

>They can supposedly beat literally anyone, regardless of whether that person is armed or not.

I'd just drop kick him.
youtube.com/watch?v=U0tKmvBj2pw