Nuts General

Discuss your favorite nuts in relation to taste, macros, etc.
We all know nuts are a good source of healthy fats for cardiovascular gains, plus god tier bulks.
My personal favorite is the English walnut, but I also like pecans.
>inb4 walnuts are drupes
I know, but they've got nut in the name, close enough.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-6_fatty_acid#Suggested_negative_health_effects
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinutrient
health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/No-need-to-avoid-healthy-omega-6-fats
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2854608/
jn.nutrition.org/content/146/1/9.abstract
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396444/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17912269
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

So you like eating nuts eh OP?

I recommend poppy seeds, if you can get them pre-ground.

Can't get enough, grocery store clerk noticed how many nuts I buy a week.
I tried to play it off cool but couldn't think of a convenient excuse for buying 3 pounds of walnuts.
On the bright side he usually underweighs me now at the register.

I buy 3kg of walnuts at a time. Walnuts are best

My dude. I'm glad someone else is woke to this godly drupe.

Almonds are better than walnuts.

Fight me.

Macadamias blocks your path.

cashews>almonds>hazelnuts>peanuts>walnuts>pistachios

If you like almonds better that's okay.
Almonds have more monounsaturated fats while walnuts have more polyunsaturated fats.
Poly provide a lot of fats we need but can't produce naturally but mono are by no means anything to scoff at. Plus admittedly the almond has a higher protein density, so if you're interested in a nut heavy diet they're not a bad choice.
All nuts are welcome in Nuts General.

>healthy fats
saturated fats are not bad, they don't even influence bad colesterol except in some people

especially if you're wtf are you doing worrying about fucking fats unless it's trans fats

Deez

Sure, but poly and monounsaturated fats are pretty much solidly confirmed to be good for you while people still bitch about saturated.
Thus walnuts contain healthy fats, as I said.
Please include a preferred nut when posting in Nuts General.

Almonds contain a lot of oxalic acid which causes kidney stones

Nice quads my friend. Have a kindly nigger toe in celebration.

no, omega6 is actually inflammatory

you don't know what the fuck you're talking about

I wasn't aware of that.
I'll do some research and see about putting it in the Nuts General pastebin I'm working on.
Until then I don't know enough about them to say anything really meaningful about it.

Just as there are quacks who claim saturated fat is harmless, there are also quacks who think polyunsaturated fat, especially linoleic acid (n-6) is harmful - usually there is some crossover.

The AHA has researched and rescinded that claim.
Please do your research before polluting Nuts General.

>AHA
you fucking imbecile

Extrapolate, don't hate.
Why do you feel that way user? I'm just trying to spread my love of nuts and you're assailing me without sources.

Aha!

saturated fat is totally harmless

it was the sugar lobby that has successfully demonized it to sell their literal poison

The AHA is in the pocket of big sugar, man! Don't you know butter and coconut are totally healthy and it's actually pumpkin seeds and almonds that cause heart disease via inflammation. I read it on the internet

it's very well established that omega6 surplus in diet is inflammatory, it's a simple test and it's been independently confirmed countless times

In my experience omega 6 seems to be largely overplayed. The omega 6 to 3 ratio in walnuts isn't even bad enough to consider worrying about.
People are striving it seems to find arguments to make in Nuts General even though everyone knows it's the friendliest general on Veeky Forums

Please post sources in Nuts General. It benefits everyone to read the same research you have to better understand where you're coming from.

no one is dissing your nuts

but the thing about "healthy fats" is complete bs for most people

I'm quite intrigued by this user. Would you mind expanding?

Interesting, I may make this into Nuts and Seeds General in the future.
Thanks for the input and sorry I missed you.

anyone else toast nuts before eating? hazelnuts and peanuts for example are pretty bad raw but amazing toasted. for some it doesn't matter though, like cashews or walnuts

not really a nut but I love linseed. just a spoon or two in my morning glass of milk. tasty and guaranteed you won't be constipated any more ever

>I'm quite intrigued
nuts are full of anti-nutrients

I do enjoy a nice toasted nut from time to time. I typically enjoy mostly walnuts but a nice roasted/toasted peanut or hazelnut is always a welcome addition.
Thanks for the input user.

Good input, I'm strongly considering adding seeds to the agenda as many anons seem to enjoy them as part of their regular diet.
Could you explain to me what you mean by anti-nutrients. I'm fascinated with dietary science and would love to be challenged when it comes to nuts, which until now have been a safe food in my life.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-6_fatty_acid#Suggested_negative_health_effects

>inb4 wikipedia
follow the links and educate yourself or do whatever the fuck you want

>I'm fascinated with dietary science

yeah me too, that's why I know a lot

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinutrient

>Phytic acids are common in the hulls of nuts

so it's only in the shell?

health.harvard.edu/newsletter_article/No-need-to-avoid-healthy-omega-6-fats
Here is an article that claims arachidonic acid is nothing to be worried about, in contrast with the wiki article. You'll hopefully forgive my skepticism but I'm not going to demonize a fat group because of it.
That said, I appreciate you coming into Nuts General, posting your sources, and making a reasonable poignant argument.
Have a good night/morning user.

I have this same question really. It seems to be suggesting I don't eat the shells of my walnuts.
I don't do that already, if you do I won't stop you but apparently it's bad.

I don't see how that heart popsci newsletter from 2009 is relevant

>Harvard
>Popsci
I don't really know what to say to that user. If you hate the idea of people eating nuts you don't have to join us.
Regardless I appreciate your civility.

Shitty source
Shitty sources

Simopoulos is a quack.

Literally one person's pet theory that omega-6s are bad, built her entire career on this bullshit with zero evidence behind it.

There is a massive disconnect between internet broscience (muh omega-6 ratio) and what actual scientists think (omega-6 ratio is irrelevant because the conversion to eicosanoids and LCFAs is regulated)

The premise is also retarded since we know saturated fats are bad. If we assume that omega-6s are bad, the only thing that's acceptable to eat are walnuts, fish and animal brain, also olive oil. Makes no sense at all.

>it's very well established that omega6 surplus in diet is inflammatory
They are actually anti-inflammatory

Virtually all plants except fruits and vegetables contain anti-nutrients such as phytic acid and oxalic acid. It's something low-carbers and paleo quacks will babble on about endlessly with no understanding of the specifics. The primary concern with phytic acid is zinc balance because you lose a little zinc into your intestine every time you digest anything. The phytic acid can bind to that so you don't reabsorb it. The more phytic acid you have in the diet, the more zinc you need (but the more animal products you eat, the less zinc you need).
Vitamin C and animal flesh counteract the effects of phytic acid on zinc and iron.

Although I agree that there's nothing wrong with omega-6s, Harvard isn't a good source since their entire department is funded by Bunge, one of the largest producers of omega-6-heavy vegetable oils on the planet

It really is a shame that walnuts and almonds both taste like shit
Peanuts are kinda alright, but even those get nauseating after a while

Thanks for the insight in the general. I'll try to look (most likely fruitlessly) for better sources in the future.
I appreciate you taking the time to contribute.
If you have any sites you'd like to contribute to the general I'm taking them down in a pastebin for future reference.

I have crazy high levels of cholesterol and tryglycerides. I want something crunchy to snack on, and figured nuts would be good. Which ones are the best for someone like me? I can't eat tree nuts.

Fuck, I'm sorry to say that's most of the nuts I like. Peanuts aren't technically tree nuts as they're legumes rather.
Perhaps some unsalted peanuts. If not you might be lucky enough for one of our /seed/ posters to recommend something that might fit you.

>Poly provide a lot of fats we need but can't produce naturally
walnuts have more omega 6 pufas than omega 3 pufas, and plant omega 3s are in the form of alpha-linoleic acid, which our body has to convert to DHA and EPA to use. thing is the body isn't very efficient at this conversion, and you can already find DHA and EPA in fatty fish and grass fed meat and dairy. unless you're a vegan, you shouldn't be getting your omega 3 from plants, the plus side is vegans become more efficient at converting ALA.

>Nuts General pastebin

If that's true then almonds seem to be more your speed.
Still very welcome in Nuts General.
Thanks for the input.

Yeah, they sadly make me sick as a dog, which is a shame. I loved eating pecans and cashews.

it is a popsci newsleter from 2009

if you go a bit farther back in time you are gonna find them advocating trans fat margarine for heart health

I'm serious about my nuts user. Still I always welcome laughter over scorn.
Thanks for the contribution to Nuts General
That is too bad user, at the very least you'll be able to join us in spirit. I promise not to send any cyber-allergens your way.

>Literally one person's pet theory that omega-6s are bad,
yeah giving people sunflower oil and doing one blood lab test is so fucking complicated

kys retard

I'll continue to research the topic further. The diet industry is seemingly nefarious.
They will not receive any complimentary nigger toes on my behalf.

>no one is dissing your nuts

god I love /nut/

It is now generally believed that the body can dispose of oxalic acid at even relatively high dietary quantities without trouble. Trouble arises for people who may have a genetic predisposition that impairs their bodies’ ability to process oxalic acid, so they may need to regulate their intake of it.

Some studies suggest that people with a history of heavy or recent antibiotic use may be at much greater risk from dietary oxalate. Many antibiotics can kill the flora that degrades oxalate such as oxalobacter, and lactobacillus acidophilus and bifidus. Oxalobacter is a human intestinal bacteria that can reduce the urinary oxalate concentration following an oxalate load.

Those with kidney disorders, gout, rheumatoid arthritis, or certain forms of vulvodynia are typically advised to avoid foods high in oxalic acid. For a normal healthy person developing kidney stones from a high volume of oxalic acid in foods is very unlikely.

Since dietary oxalate accounts for only 10-15% of the oxalate that is found in the urine of individuals who form calcium oxalate stones, many researchers believe that dietary restriction cannot significantly reduce risk of stone formation.

I love nuts user don't know where I'd be without them
>My situation literally rn

BREHS

250ml milk
1 scoop vanilla protein
80g Oatmeal

Mix and leave in the fridge overnight

Morning, add some fresh roasted almonds/ whatever other nuts you enjoy

ENJOY

Thanks for the name suggestion user. /nut/ is born.

That's an interesting development in this conversation
Nuts are great:
1. Embrace
2. Enjoy
3. Survive
Nuts are always a great addition.

Virtually ALL plants have more omega-6 then omega-3, with only a few exceptions, that's the point. The whole premise is very transparently developed according to "plant fat bad, animal fat good", which is the exact opposite of scientific consensus.

It is -impossible- to have a omega-3-6 ratio in the realm of 1:4 when consuming a healthy diet, unless consuming quite a low-fat diet or something very artificial and exotic (chia seeds, flax etc.).

Refined sunflower oil is highly oxidized, unlike naturally occurring o6s. - no reasonable dietician would suggest the consumption of ANY oil, it's processed refined garbage, the most calorie-dense food on the planet. Yeah, Harvard used to say OIL should be the base of the food pyramid, but Harvard is funded by the vegetable oil industry (and those same Harvard people sat in the USDA committee and now the guidelines say that OIL should be consumed as part of a healthy diet, even though oil didn't exist for 99% of humanity until 100 years ago and serves no nutritional purpose).

Mozaffarian STILL says to eat vegetable oil 3-4 times a day for "healthy fats", but nuts only a few times a week. Corrupt bastard

Thanks, this is very interesting. Any source?
I really like spinach but currently I try not to go overboard due to being famously high in oxalic acid, a few grams in a meal.

Do nuts lose any nutritional value when toasted?

Interesting points user. Good contribution.

#TeamWalnut

Dry roasted isn't enough to be significant. Other methods are up for debate. But most roasted nuts are just fine.

Brother

I think with roasting nuts become more digestible and the nutrients more accessible for the most part.

Only have this source bookmarked right now, but there are other studies
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2854608/

However, roasting also creates some undesirable compounds (AGEs I think, plus other stuff)

It will be important for the pastebin that whole nuts do not typically provide as much energy as listed - only 70-90% depending on various factors

For example walnuts
jn.nutrition.org/content/146/1/9.abstract

Almonds
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3396444/

Peanuts
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17912269

THIS. Best thing is that they contain barely any PUFAs.

Unfortunately they're fucking expensive.

>naturally occurring o6s
you're missing the point, the stuff is cheap even if it's extra virgin cold pressed vegetable oil of your liking

those studies have been done to death and excessive omega6s are bad

btw sunflower oil is not so easy to oxidize, it's quite stable even at high temperatures which is why it's so popular for frying

That's exceptionally useful. Thank you very much user.
I've saved the links and will scour them before creating the pastebin link for the general.
It's my ideal dream that the pastebin can be updated in accordance with any up to date research.
Here's a niggertoe for your good deeds.
Ideally they may be used as currency in /nut/ generals.

very interesting

let's discuss serving size.

I eat 25g of walnut every evening which is about 170 cals

Seems very well within the healthy range. I eat nearly 1,000 calories or more per day of walnuts.
I don't recommend anyone do my diet as I don't know the potential health ramifications but under 200 cals you're beyond safe.

are you on /keto/?

>worrying about fucking fats unless it's trans fats

that is some next level fat shaming you literal nazi

oh you nut.

Nope, I just really like nuts. I might reach ketosis on accident from time to time but I'm already intermittent fasting 20:4 so I'm not worried about it.
It fits my schedule, I have a weird sleep schedule too but that's a whole different story.
I had a crazy mental breakdown and recovered becoming fully committed to a fit lifestyle and in the past few months it's been paying off.
It's really a whole can of worms.

My pirated photoshop skills are second to none.

what nuts do you guys eat? how much is a normal portion and what are the macros like?

>On the bright side he usually underweighs me now at the register.
Ehh i bet he does

wants to add his walnuts to your mouthsack along with his peanut

Almonds and Pumpkin Seed masterrace

What nuts taste the best?

I feel bad for liking flavored shit like honey coated/roasted peanuts. Shit tastes good but clearly they're not as healthy as normal nuts.

I could eat walnuts all day, same with Brazil nuts, but I prefer walnuts also because they're cheaper. I just love the sweet oily taste, and quite healthy compared to having chocolate as a treat

>Embrace
>Enjoy
>Survive
That sounds like the slogan to some survival cooking competition with lethal elimination rounds.

>It is -impossible- to have a omega-3-6 ratio in the realm of 1:4 when consuming a healthy diet
the fuck? just eat a tin of sardines every few days, and don't eat too many nuts/seeds or nut/seed oils. Practically all vegetables have very low amounts of any fat, and when they do, it's mostly omega-3 ALA

Also here for seeds... Pumpkin seeds are GOAT if you ask me

Nice thread.

I like brazil nuts but don't eat them too often due to their price.
Used to gorge peanuts so I stopped eating them all together.
Now I mostly eat almonds, they're great.
Like walnuts as well but always forget about them.

Really there aren't any nuts I don't like other than hazelnuts maybe.

You cut my quote short
Thanks

If you get most of your fat from eating "a tin of sardines every few days", your average daily fat intake will be 10-30 grams, which is a very low fat diet, as I said.

What about /seed/ (formerly Chuck's)?

>If you get most of your fat from eating "a tin of sardines every few days", your average daily fat intake will be 10-30 grams, which is a very low fat diet, as I said.
small amounts of saturated fat is fine, and monounsaturated fat is perfectly healthy. just avoid too many omega 6's from nuts and seeds

Can you point to any evidence showing negative health outcomes from consumption of omega-6 containing nuts and seeds?

no, I was just contesting your claim that it's hard to maintain a good omega 3 to 6 ratio

you want fries with that baby?

>PUFA
>healthy fats
"No!"

>PUFAs cause aging
>eat no PUFA
>Look and sound exactly as old as you are
Wew

That the guy who says ice cream is a superfood?

what's the best nutrient/calorie density nut to price ratio because nuts are really expensive