/run/ thread

/run/ thread

I did a 5k followed a few hours later with a10k.

My hours are sore as fuck. What can I do to aid healing?

Other urls found in this thread:

strava.com/clubs/fitizens
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/
strava.com/features
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/
archive.is/VGoxG
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196
runrepeat.com/adidas-response-boost
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Depends on what hurts, if it's your knee ice that shit and keep your leg elevated, same goes with ankles. If it's your Muscles make sure you sretch immediately after and rest keeping them warm so they don't go stiff.

Last tip: STAY HYDRATED AND REST

run a 20k

Rest
Ice
Compression
Elevation

And chocolate milk.

Just started running a few days ago, are there any general running tips I need to know, or do I just go out and jog around until I feel like I'm going to die?

How the hell does one regularly run many days in a row? My trainer had me do running three days in a row and it fucking killed me that I didn't get the 16 miles I was required to do today. I literally crashed .2 miles from completing it. I can do long runs. I can do speed drills after a recovery day. I can do speed drills two days in a row. But three damn days...

Not doing a spartan run.... Weak....

If you don't die tomorrow you should probably be safe and kys instead

>autistic ellipses
>somehow fucking up Spartan Race
>worthless disparaging comment bringing nothing to the thread

What... Did.... You... Say......

Learn to pace yourself. When you establish an aerobic base, then you can learn how to run fast by doing speed drills.
Don't heel strike or run on your toes.
While establishing your aerobic base, don't be afraid to do some walking.
Once you get further along, get a good pair of shoes (if you need to go cheap, Saucony Cohesions or Asics Ventures are two decent cheap shoes).
Learn proper cadence.
Don't overstride.
...and a bunch of other stuff about proper form blah blah blah

No, one of the cringiest was last year when some user found out a girl was training for a marathon and kept pestering her for tits any time she posted. Another was when an user posted a marathon time, said it was a common time for a female, which lead one user to get the results, put them in a spread sheet to deduce which of the females who ran the race posted.

oh fuck you're actually faceposting
maybe try getting under 30% bf for the next race
>having to lie down after a measly 5K

Well I bet I do better than you.

I can guarantee you don't

so get to where I can run like 2-3 miles slow then build up?

You should be cutting, dude

Lol he only has a super, i have a trifecta

Fuck outta here with your finisher medals. I'd have more respect if you posted your times on a gps watch with heart rate visible.

>bragging about meme runs for normies and fatasses
lel

Have never heard of this before. Is the purpose of doing one to have pictures of yourself doing it?

I'm close to completing my first marathon plan and I cut a lot of miles on my first weeks. It will get better later on.

>Running
Cyclist here. Enjoy your knee surgeries in 20 years.

I think that's the gist of it

Yeah plus you get a cool participation medal to show friends and make them think you actually did something. Even though you came in 1200th place.

Enjoy your impotence in 20 years. Memes aside, I plan on running until I'm in my late 30s and then switch to biking actually. I just don't have the time to bike a lot and running is just way more fun. I wish I wouldn't hate swimming so much, it seems like the best way to do cardio and I could do triathlons....

You know, after 20 years of cycling, impotence isn't an issue. It's actually the opposite if I don't exercise.

Do you guys run on a flat or try to go for as many hills as you can?
(Running in the gym is not allowed)
Hitting a hill repeatedly is so huge on getting your leg muscles going.

Also running in the early early mornings or late in the evening when the air is cold allows me to run SO much more.

Similar
My "old age" sports are Tennis and Swimming.
Before you complain about Tennis still being a bad sport for your joints; go to a tennis court and watch some 80 year old looking guys hit the ball harder than most late teenagers even could and playing a ball for seemingly ever.

Flat as much as possible on speed drill days (intervals on track, tempos in town) with exception of hill repeat day (once every two weeks). Mild hills on recovery days. Long run depends on what I'm in the mood for: trail runs usually have long and steep vs rail trail which is pretty much slow descent then ascent coming back.

Threadly reminder lads strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Enjoy your knee surgeries in 20 years.
Oh boy, this myth again!

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830

It's shitty form and overdoing it that ruins knees.

Ran my first race today, 5 miles.
Ended up with a 38:30 (I was on a 7:20 pace for the first two miles). It was fun, but I really need to work on being consistent with my splits. Certainly my best time for that distance, though.
I've been planning on running a half marathon, but I was wondering, should I work on my speed first?
I was thinking of trying to get a sub-20 5k (I think I was at 23 the last time I ran one on my own), or should I focus on putting on the miles?
Thanks for the advice from , nonetheless. Next year I'll be sub 7. I'm sure of it.

Is couch to 5k good for someone who lifts but does basically no cardio at all?

If not is there a better program? I want to just follow some track and end up running a few miles a week.

>Is couch to 5k good
depends.
Were you even remotely tired?
What was time?
Just flat or some hills?

What're your goals? Are you looking to actually run a 5k, or are you just looking to run away from your problems?

I ran 5 miles today for the first time in probably 2-3 years. It took me 49 minutes which I am not particularly happy about. I'd like to be able to do 40 minutes by mid october. Is this a reasonable goal? I can run maybe twice a week just because of blisters and ankle soreness.

I am struggling with having really flat feet that overpronate a lot. Is this something I should see a podiatrist for? Will they be able to help me?

??
I don't care about races at all I just want to get exercise and be in decent cardio shape for health.

Should be in the OP.....

/run/ General
Old Thread is dead.

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

I do both and I have the endurance to keep up with you, and catch you and stuff my raging boner down your shit talking throats you washers of other people's underwear.

Now go away before I taunt you a second time!

>inb4 taken serious

Teasing aside, I got into running because "bang for your buck" you get a better work out than cycling "overall". The cycling now takes second place and is used when I have to rest the shit running fucks up.

For the sake of correctness, it was feet, not tits.

>Another was when an user posted a marathon time, said it was a common time for a female, which lead one user to get the results, put them in a spread sheet to deduce which of the females who ran the race posted.
Fucksakes

Then pick any training program, and just repeat the first week over and over and over again.

[autism intensifies]

would you recommend any?

Try rowing

means youre going too fast

My lower back always kills me when running for more than 1-2km. Is it my bad form, my shit back or I'm just not used to running?

Buy new shoes.

Start off slow.

Don't run every day

Do your stretches. Go slower than you think you should. Don't run on your heels. Do your stretches.

It's the hips, like the connection between my leg and my hip. Especially my right.

Recovering fatfag here. Started four months ago and nowadays, I run about 7 km at 5:30/km. I'm training to get to 10 k before my birthday in late November and recently, I noticed pain in my upper soon-to-be abs at the last km. What's causing this? Also, is there any rule of thumb after how many km you should get new shoes? Thanks in advance!

>shoes
some say 300 miles, some more. Depends on surface. I do tarmac and roads exclusively. I swap out my runners around 390-400 miles.

If your muscles tense up (erector spinae) then you probably have tight hip flexors - it's very normal for people who sit down a lot. Google "Couch Stretch" and work your core and glutes.
If it's not this then sorry I can't help, it's just what I'm going through myself at the moment. Hope it helps!

Is it normal to get really stiff knees right after finishing a run? Like if I raise my legs to a 90 degree angle they feel really stiff, but it passes after like 15 minutes.

Adidas response 2 techfit

Approved shoes for running?

approved shoes are literally anything meant for running that you didnt get in a supermarket or for less than 50 bucks

>Adidas response 2 techfit
you decide, your feet are not my feet.
runrepeat.com/adidas-response-boost

>knee pain after 2 weeks of running

THIS SHOULDN'T BE HAPPENING, RUNNING WAS MY PREFERRED CHOICE OF CARDIO, FUCK THIS GAY SHIT

Blah blah blah check form, shoes, don't go too fast, cadence blah blah blah.

>stretching

this is really underrated desu. Helps prevent injuries and can help you get quicker by opening up your stride.

the 'bang for you buck' argument in running vs cycling is a good point. I love the feeling of going fast on a bike, but it takes like 1.5 to 2x the time it takes to run to get the same cardio benefit .

That being said, watching pro cycling is a million times more fulfilling then watching a marathon or 15, 5k, 10k on the track

>watching things that go fast is more enjoyable than watching things go slow
Thanks for enlightening me!

>the 'bang for you buck' argument in running vs cycling is a good point. I love the feeling of going fast on a bike, but it takes like 1.5 to 2x the time it takes to run to get the same cardio benefit .

iktb.

My city is utter shit for cycling because there's no decent cycling roads that's longer than 2km, barely any hills and drivers hate cyclists

Gonna go run on a track today to check if my knees respond to that better than asphalt

Wish me luck ~~~~~~

>and drivers hate cyclists
Don't be like that user, everyone else hates them too.

you have a weak core and are probably not keeping your chest straight and high while running, try incorporating some planks

What shoes are y'all wearing lately?

I have these (pic related).

Feels like I have pillows underneath my feet when I run on pavement. Feels like wearing a pair of comfortable slippers.

The color is called "Dark Shadow" so I call them my Tokoyami shoes :^)

Is it normal that on some days you just have less endurance? Usually I run a 10k 2-3 times a week, but today I could barely finish 5k. Was terribly exhausted and had a massive headache for 15 minutes after I was done.
I don't understand why. It was just colder outside than usual when I go running, could that have something to do with it?

Were you warmed up and ready to run before heading out in cooler weather?

I usually do the r/bodyweightfitnness warm up routine and sometimes some jump rope before heading on a run.

Post training logs. First marathon in 2 months.

I don't know what the triangle under today's run means. Races change the color of the circle and it's not marked as one anyways. Maybe it just means this is the current day? I never look at the training log, just the dashboard.

Also signed up for the Hong Kong Marathon lottery. If I get in, I wonder if I should run with a mask on.

Currently wearing Gel-Flux 2s, which is the last Flux model to have 4e.

The track always hurts me so much.

I often run 15 k + but sometime I feel like pure death before 2.5 k , but it usually always come back to normal , It's just that sometime I need a lot of time / distance to warm up

I have to run a 2.4k in 11 mins today

This is literally the worst thing ever. I don't know how I'm gonna do it.

I don't get how you guys find it so fucking easy.
Running HURTS ME. IT HURTS.

how do you set goal ?

I hope you get horrible mangled in a freak cement mixer accident that leaved you crippled form the neck down on your way to the track you fucking faggot.

r-rude

It might just be a premium thing, but on mobile go to the top of the You column and hit the pencil. On desktop, the right side of your profile page has a goals box.

>tfw this might come true because it's a 10 minute bike ride through the city and traffic

p-please don't say stuff like that

why did my forerunner lost around 4 hours of tracking ?
the run I did during that time is here but the steps & calories & hear rate isn't .
I was a 22k steps i'm only at 9k now , was at 2700 kcals , now only at 1900 , it lost all the info of the last 4 hours

What do you guys run in in terms of underwear?

I've worn loose boxers or none at all. But wondering if briefs to give some support would be better/

these
>adidas Men's Sport Performance Climalite Boxer Brief Underwear

I wear either actual running shorts or half-tights. Better than having to wear underwear while running desu.

>Actual running shorts

Is that where they have a sort of mesh layer underneath?

>Half-tights
Does your package not stand out a mile in those?

Good lord running on a track is boring as fuck. 5km feels like an eternity, where as if I'm running on a road it goes by so fucking fast it's not funny.

I run on a treadmill and every minute is hell

>tfw I realise there is a running thread in Veeky Forums
Newbie here, still can't do 10k comfortably. When do I switch from
>run REST run run REST run REST
to
>run run REST run run run REST
?

How do you guys handle your phone when running?
I know you don't need it, but I like to listen to podcasts while running and don't want to buy an mp3 player. Are those arm band things any good?

Yeah, I use the armband thing for my key and phone. Don't feel that it's there at all when I run.

I used to use an armband but I've switched to a watch and left my phone in my car. Even though there's no way to listen to music, it was worth it because the watch is so much lighter. It's not like running takes that long anyway.

Running shorts have a mesh/junk-holder yah. Half-tights are typically just a tiny bit looser than say compression shorts so they hold your dick in place without making it stand out too much.

I have a running belt and a pair of bluetooth sport headphones. Best set up imo.

First time posting on Veeky Forums so don't bully.

I am totally new into runnning

Started to run two weeks ago 4 km without stopping, which I was able to do in 30 minutes. Now I am doing it at 23-25 minutes. Should I add more length, or should I still do this track? I feel like I amble to do more.

Be careful starting out, because it seems like most people push way too hard when they first start running and injure themselves. Best to increase weekly mileage at first rather than single runs. Increase the number of runs you do per week and then slowly increase mileages. Once your mileage gets high, cut down on the number of runs per week and designate a slow long run which is really long.

So it's better to run 10km every other day instead of 5km every day?

What is the optimal time of day to run?

I just ran at 7pm but had to call it quits cause it was so dark I felt tired.

morning is the best time because you don't have any excuses. you just have nothing to do except wait around for work or the day to start so why not start it off with a run when i try to motivate myself to run in the evening, it never happens. always just feel too tired to do it

No it's like you need to build base fitness before running long, like: each line is a week in miles
3x3m
4x3m
3x4m
3x4m+2m
4x4m
3x4m+5m
2x2m+3m+4m+6m
2x3m+5m+7m
2x4m + 5m +7m

This is just something I came up with on the fly so don't take this as a training plan, but this is the idea. The general guide is to increase by 10% miles per week after you get past 10miles or so. But you should be varying your runs to a certain degree. The vanilla way is 4-5 runs per week with 1 long and slow, 2 normal pace, and 1-2 tempo/speedwork short/intervals.

hmm, I'm not the original guy that's new to running.

I can comfortably run 10k, but I like to run every day so I run 5-6k every day. But I'm having some knee issues and think wonder if running every other day would be better, hence running 10km every other day.

Really, you should have at least one day of rest per week. I know streak running is popular, and I used to go 6-8 months without a day of rest, but it can really limit your ability in speed and distance. Most vanilla training plans like Higdon are 4 days of running and 1 day of cross training, but that's pretty light unless your long run is 10+ miles.

Careful. I've had friends get testicular torsion from not having enough support.