/plg/ - powerlifting general

Powerlifting (generally)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0gpGqGHEr_8
youtube.com/watch?v=dMK_npDG12Q
youtube.com/watch?v=bVP_w1rQweE
youtube.com/watch?v=sLtG7QBXRNI&t=3325s
dlx.b-ok.org/userbooks/4/0c60aa62052709345336e9c4005ce6a2/_as/[Mike_Israetel_Chad_Wesley_Smith]_Scientific_princ(b-ok.org).pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=vrrn33-x6eU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for cutting sucks

would you say powerlifters are generally husky

In for gaining weight

is it bad that i do ohp, dl, squat and bench every work out session? (i go 3x a week) after seeing some good linear progress after 6 months, i have been kind of plateauing with slower progress in the past 3 months.

also wondering if i should switch to oly as it seems more fun

Like you do all 4 lifts 3x a week? Definitely break that up.

You can do large compound movements of squatting, deadlift, and pressing every day of the goddamn week if you want to. It all comes to how much you enjoy lifting and how disciplined you are about going into the gym everyday and accepting setbacks.

Show me one accomplished lifter or coach that advises doing squat and deadlift and bench and overhead press every single workout.

> Cutting when you're over 6ft and under 120kg
Why

Mike tusk chair did it in project momentum but I do agree that it is incredibly uncommon

yep. i've seen most PLers are doing ppl programming so i am looking to switch to that atm

i enjoy doing them but i also want to feel like i'm making the most progress i can which i feel like i might not be

Almost everybody does some type of hip hinging and pressing every time they go into the gym unless they're doing an upper lower split. If it is convenient, there are only benefits to spreading out your volume throughout the week with higher frequency.

I sometimes go months at a time without a day off. I honestly don't give a shit if it's the most optimal way to train, but it is the way that I like to train.

Trimming some fat, ate at a surplus for 18 months. Gained 30lbs, stopping on September 23rd.

What happened to:

Marcel
Norsefat
Fil
Pas
Supermong

Paul is dead and trappy won't come back!

how can i learn more about anatomy and mechanics of lifting?

clinical anatomy, kinesiology, and body mechanics books.

or you could go into physical therapy

Supermong reached a 1200 lb diddly (Isley got scared) after only 3 years of lifting. He then left humanity, and all of the rest of us, behind.

Oldfag who is stopping by not a regular anymore, what also happened to /owg/? I know not a lot of people could take the training truly seriously, but I remember it was still pretty active. Is this place just going into the garbage? Is it the generalfags? Is it Veeky Forums in general (I also dont browse the rest of the site much anymore). Is this what it feels like? Im only 20, yet I feel so old...

All I read from that is I don't wanna sacrifice to win I wanna be a twink

>Marcel

He became disgusted and disappointed in the general, so he left.

>Norsefat

Works like a dog as an engineer at a mine in bumfuck nowhere, I think in one of the Dakotas. He pops in on occasion, but he's normally too busy, and he isn't lifting much.

>Fil

Just kinda stopped coming in. I don't think he liked it here, either.

>Pas

Dunno who that is.

>Supermong

His sister got doxxed, so he left.

That's what I've been thinking. I honestly have no idea how people get to bring their dogs to work. Maybe it's just the industry I'm going into (engineering), but there are basically no workplaces I've seen that could even consider having an animal around.

>no weight classes in the jungle

Nah, I wanna be less fat for my wedding.

Moving down to the 83's I see

looking for book recs if you know anye good ones?

Enjoy losing half you shit all women are whores im a strong independent MGTOW

Holy strawman batman

That's not what that word means.

I only literally ever said 1/3 of that, can't think of a better word to describe it.

Dear Mister I'm-Too-Good-To-Post-Or-Make-WebMs-My-Fans,
This'll be the last (you) I ever send your ass
It's been six minutes and still no word. I don't deserve it?
I know you got my last two (yous);
I wrote the post numbers on 'em perfect
So this is my Norman Kahn I'm sending you, I hope you see it
I'm in the car right now, I'm doing 90 on the freeway
Hey Isley, I drank a fifth of Whisky, you dare me to drive?
You know the video by Mark Turscher don't just strive in it, thrive in it"
About that guy who coulda saved that other guy from stalling?
But didn't, then Filip saw it all, then at a discord he found him?
That's kinda how this is, you coulda rescued me from stalling
Now it's too late. I'm on a PEDs now, I'm drowsy
And all I wanted was a lousy (you) or a vocaroo
I hope you know I deleted all of your pictures off my folder
I love you, Isley, we coulda lifted together, think about it
You ruined it now, I hope you can't bench more and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't deadlift and you scream about it
I hope your conscience eats at you and you can't try hard without me
See, Isley,—shut up bitch! I'm trying to talk!
Hey, Isley, that's my Brazilian hobbit transsexual screaming in the trunk,
But I didn't slit (h)er throat, I just tied her up. See, I ain't like you
'Cause if she suffocates she'll never know what its like to be GDE, and then she'll die happy, too
Well, gotta go, I'm almost at the lolfed meet now
Oh shit, I forgot, how'm I supposed to send this Norman Kahn out?

youtube.com/watch?v=0gpGqGHEr_8

psst, the word is projection

>Enjoy losing half you shit
neuroticism off the charts

>all women are whores
projection

>strong
false

>independent
false

>virgins going their own way
kek

This was my post. I didn't give you permission to repost it.

Delet

You just did. Now go read some Orwell essays and think about how you just bastardised the English language with your shameless use of vague buzzwords in place of easy to understand and concise statements.

But that's just so cliche

I sincerely hope you're not taking b8 posts seriously.

*breaths heavily*

I want my waifu now mommy

youtube.com/watch?v=dMK_npDG12Q

Can I ask you a question and receive an honest answer?

>Long, contemplative bulking shits

reallly

how many times have you released seed for her?

/owg/ masturbated themselves over their flawless 185 lbs C&J technique so hard that they wound up entirely on Discord, apparently.

She's a little young, isn't she?

youtube.com/watch?v=bVP_w1rQweE

>Im still laughing

what's your best snatch/c+j

Veeky Forums is garbage now. Everyone with any sense is jumping ship. I only come in like once a week personally.

I just come here to preach the good word of CRJ

youtube.com/watch?v=sLtG7QBXRNI&t=3325s

Blocked in my country

I unironically like some of her stuff though

>unironically

Her music is pure and beautiful and positive

What's a hypertrophy phase and how do I program it?

Also, when cutting, do you leave accessories and pump/isolation work in, reduce them or something else? How do you plan for strength progression when cutting?

>unironically

If you don't know these things, I would recommend reading Practical Programming for Strength Training by Rippetoe et al.

When cutting I increase isolation because they're the only exercises that are easy to maintain intensity, have no recovery issues and make me feel better about myself because I don't get weaker at them.

Be sure to pray for Bryce Lewis lads he is going through a very tough breakup and that can be hard.

>cutting advice
>rippetoe
Does he actually give good advice in the book?

Which chapter of this god-awful book explains in detail how to program a hypertrophy phase based on my own goals (not rip's)? I don't remember it even being mentioned.

Yes. His advice is to not.

Chad Wesley Smith also recently released a very in depth book on programming, but it's pretty deep stuff, and I would start with Ripp for the basics.

Mate, maybe you shouldn't be trashing Ripp's knowledge if you're going to try and program for muscle growth while you're cutting.

he cheated on his wife with an asian prostitute, I think that it was well dserved

>based on my own goals
how DARE you have goals other than weigh 105kg and be stronger than you were when you didn't weigh as much
don't you know that muscle definition is IRRELEVANT to strength and that strength is the ONLY factor that measures whether lifting weights was time well spent?

Not the original guy, just challenging your shitty generalised rip circlejerk advice because I've actually read the book and it was a long winded snoozefest of basic knowledge which doesn't actually explain how to practically approach training myself beyond something Trappy would have posted along the lines of "do TM but make it a split so you feel like you're inventing something".

For this reason I asked you to name a specific chapter that was relevant to the conversation, instead of posting the same old zero-thought response that's no more useful than "SS + GOMAD", as much as you'd like to think you're contributing something of value.

Why use muscle definition to measure progress when you can use wilks?

The implication I was making that if the poster didn't understand the basic concept of a hypertrophy block, maybe he should start with the foundational knowledge present in PPfST, before moving onto more in depth books, like what I suggested here: y u mad tho

Also for the purpose of this discussion, if you're even willing to think for 2 seconds, let's assume my goals are a simple as "Maintain maximal muscle on a deficit or gain maximal muscle on a surplus with a secondary goal of gaining proficiency in the 3 power lifts with the sole purpose of becoming a better lifter on the platform.", proficiency defined as the ability to lift maximal weight safely and within the rules with one's current muscle mass. This is a secondary goal because a hypertrophy block would by nature sacrifice specificity for increased tonnage. Also, we can assume weight classes don't exist and wilks is the only thing that matters for simplicity.

"What's a hypertrophy phase?" is a 30 second answer, which does not require reading rip's long winded drivel, while "How do I program it?" is an open ended question requiring discussion which isn't even brought up in PP.

The asian prostitute WAS his wife you dummy

Mate, wtf are you even trying to say here? I was asked "how do I program hypertrophy?" and based on the lack of understanding, I suggested some reading to build understanding of basic programming concepts.

I want to know if you can actually come up with a resource for this specific purpose, which is probably that guy's purpose. I was being specific because it's easier to give one resourse for a specific problem than a broad one. As it stands with your advice, he'll go skim read those 2 books and still have zero idea what to do.

Then he's not ready to do his own programming.

Of course not, so why link him to that when you can link him to Lyle Mcdonald's generic bulking routine and tell him to progressively add sets. I'd also say that Israetel's blog posts are retard proof when it comes teaching noobs how to program short training blocks with specific goals in mind. Why would you give a man advice he wouldn't know how to use? And also in this case, advice that would be obviously unhelpful if he had the knowledge to use it.

I believe understanding the theories behind programming much more important than copying a premade routine. That is my opinion.

The problem is Rip doesn't care to explain the theory behind TM. He starts by saying "periodisation is important", then says "we're going to use periodisation", then he says "you're going to squat heavy every x days and that's that" and then he throws TM at you and doesn't talk about DUP or any of the principles except for the reasoning behind a volume day and a test day. Nothing explaining different kinds of programming, programming for different goals, or even different kinds of strength programming beyond TM/Starr. If you're teaching someone how to create a program in a practical scenario, you're teaching them how to define a goal, then work towards it. For a book titled "practical programming" it fails miserably at teaching someone to program their lifting in a practical situation. The entire book is based on one hypothetical situation which is pretty much "16 year olds who need to gain bodyweight for the football season and would like for some of it to be quality mass".

Hey fellas, doing Texas Method, question:

If I do a 5x5 Pendlay Row on light day (while recovering from previous day's 5x5 bench) Will it mess with my 1x5 bench PR on intensity day (next day's workout) ?

Probably not. Try it.

Original guy here. Questions still stand.

Read Scientific Principles of Strength Training assuming you're not a complete retard or so new that you don't understand basic concepts. If you are new, follow an established program while you learn. If you don't care, follow programs forever.

I'll even spoonfeed you a (((rare))) pdf.

dlx.b-ok.org/userbooks/4/0c60aa62052709345336e9c4005ce6a2/_as/[Mike_Israetel_Chad_Wesley_Smith]_Scientific_princ(b-ok.org).pdf

Thanks

Explain to me why chins are important

basically train your whole upper body.

Dude get your weighted chin 5RM up to 0.6 of your bodyweight and your lats will be massive. I've never noticed any powerlifting carryover though.

>I've never noticed any powerlifting carryover though

I've heard people say chins give carryover to bench. Anyone have experience with this?

I went from shitty bench to good bench, by just adding curls and chin ups. Didn't change anything in my bench programming and it still blew up.

>I've heard people say chins give carryover to bench. Anyone have experience with this?
it is common knowledge by know that big back and big arms increase the leverage on the bench

Obviously it does not strengthen the prime movers directly but it helps guaranteed. Ever wonder why the best benchers are always jacked? Twinks aside ofc

How do I find out what my maximum recoverable volume is? Is it the amount of work I can do without having DOMS in the next session or something more intuitive?

For all the faggots still cutting
Why?

Because I am obese

Can't argue that

>How do I find out what my maximum recoverable volume is? Is it the amount of work I can do without having DOMS in the next session or something more intuitive?
you clearly havent been overtrained ever

i can tell you from firsthand experience that youll feel like shit, everything is sore and tight and you wont sleep as good

But doesn't overtraining/overreaching come from months of accumulated fatigue? Presumably I wouldn't feel as though I'd programmed too much volume just from one training session?

You don't need months. It can definitely take one or two sessions if they're completely retarded.

i guess thats true but its not like you havent trained before so you have a degree of fatigue accumulated anyway

I saw a powerlifter in comp benching and he pretty much just dropped it straight down onto his chest, not controlled or slow or anything just dropped it, paused then pushed up.

Is this a legit strategy? He was doing over 4 plate and set a new record in an IPF division.

link me up the video senpai

youtube.com/watch?v=vrrn33-x6eU

Actually watching it he doesn't really drop it but it moves down fast compared to other liftes

How does this compare to doing it slow and controlled?

So what are the signs and how are they spotted? How can you train sustainably?

Do you feel tired all the time?

tbf this weight looked kinda easy for him, even off the chest it's pretty fast, so it was fast downward movement but definitely controlled.

So it's very much a case of simply listening to your body and not ignoring pain and fatigue?