Protein shake before or after workput

Protein shake before or after workput

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3529694/#!po=57.9365
youtube.com/watch?v=jpQHL5nRAL8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I do 20-40g both.

Both. Or if it's convenient, opt for meals before and after instead.

banana before, protein shake after

heh and this is Veeky Forums, so we all know what "banana" is code for

>falling for the protein jew

Just buy real food. There's no reason not to unless you're on a really strict calorie deficit. Even then, I'd prefer food, because whey is only about 70%, according to lab tests.

we also know what "protein" is a code for

Protein works out like $0.40 per 20g which is the same as eggs if not a little cheaper. It isn't a jewish trick if you realise it's just another source of protein in your already high-protein diet.

I've only been able to get like 60g of protein (at most) while eating chicken, vegetables, fruit, brown rice, and other "healthy" foods. According to the "1 gram per pound of body weight rule" I should be getting ~170 grams a day, which is far beyond what I'm naturally at. Are protein shakes and other supplements the only way to realistically get /there/? (Also don't want to straight up drink milk shit kinda disgusts me, cheese is fine though)

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3529694/#!po=57.9365

Researchers have tested the effects of types and timing of protein supplement ingestion on various physical changes in weightlifters. In general, protein supplementation pre- and/or post-workout increases physical performance [31-34,38-41], training session recovery [32], lean body mass [33,38-41], muscle hypertrophy [35,38-41], and strength [31,33,38,40,41]. Specific gains, however, differ based on protein type and amounts [31-36]. For example, whey protein studies showed increases in strength [31,33], whereas, supplementation with casein did not promote increases in strength [34]. Additional research is needed on the effects of a protein and creatine supplement consumed together, as one study has shown increases in strength and LBM [33].

Studies on timing of milk consumption have indicated that fat-free milk post-workout was effective in promoting increases in lean body mass, strength, muscle hypertrophy and decreases in body fat [38-41] Milk proteins have been shown to be superior to soy proteins in promoting lean body mass [38] and muscle mass development [39]. What is interesting about the milk studies [38-41] is that not one of them provided the 3–4 g of leucine needed to promote maximal MPS (See Table Table2),2), yet they all showed improvements in LBM and strength. This raises the question of whether other components in milk could have contributed to the changes observed. Future researchers should investigate whether other properties of milk help increase LBM when leucine intake is suboptimal to provide maximal MPS. Researchers should also investigate the effects of protein supplements when participants are consuming adequate kcal.kg-1 and g.kg-1 of protein to maximize muscle hypertrophy.

You do not need that much protein. Try .6 or .7g per pound

The effects of timing of ingestion of EAAs on physical changes following exercise also have been studied [47,48]. Tipton et al. [47] found that the ingestion of EAAs prior to resistance exercise was more beneficial than post-ingestion in promoting protein synthesis [47], but these results did not hold true with respect to whey protein ingestion [48]. Once a protein has been consumed by an individual, anabolism is increased for about three hours postprandial with a peak at about 45–90 minutes [14]. After about three hours postprandial, MPS drops back to baseline even though serum amino acid levels remain elevated [14]. These data show that there is a limited time window within which to induce protein synthesis before a refractory period begins. With this in mind, an ideal protein supplement after resistance exercise should contain whey protein, as this will rapidly digest and initiate MPS, and provide 3–4 g of leucine per serving, which is instrumental in promoting maximal MPS [29,30]. A combination of a fast-acting carbohydrate source such as maltodextrin or glucose should be consumed with the protein source, as leucine cannot modulate protein synthesis as effectively without the presence of insulin [27,28] and studies using protein sources with a carbohydrate source tended to increase LBM more than did a protein source alone [33,37-41]. Such a supplement would be ideal for increasing muscle protein synthesis, resulting in increased muscle hypertrophy and strength. In contrast, the consumption of essential amino acids and dextrose appears to be most effective at evoking protein synthesis prior to rather than following resistance exercise [47]. To further enhance muscle hypertrophy and strength, a resistance weight-training program of at least 10–12 weeks 3–5 d .wk-1 with compound movements for both upper and lower body exercises should be followed [31,33,35,36,38,40,41].

It takes 30secs to down a protein shake whereas any whole food will take at least how long to prepare and eat?

Wrong. A 2lb tub of medium quality whey costs like 50 bucks. For the same amount of money I can buy about 20lbs of pork or chicken leg.

None, because I have wife to cook for me.

>2lb for 50$
I buy a 5lb tub from Costco for like 35$

Unflavored?

Either way, the meat is still cheaper. And that's ignoring that protein powders are usually watered down with other shit.

Chocolate. And meat isn't cheaper anymore m8. Even chicken livers are like 2$ per pound. Offal was the last bastion of cheap meat and even that is going up in price.

Depends where you live, I guess. I'm in eastern Europe and I can get some good deals on meat. I can't see a reason to buy whey when I can easily hit 200g of protein on food alone.

Where I live it's 3.22 cent per gram of protein from chicken and 2.46 cent per gram of protein from protein powder, not to mention the convenience, quality and doesn't have cholesterol

Yeah, but it's not really as much protein as you think. Even the expensive brands of whey are about 70% pure.

I fully agree with focusing on real food, but having whey as a standby isn't a bad idea for days when you just weren't able to get all your protein in, since they do happen and I usually don't care to pound a can of tuna right before bed.
You should spend more money on actual food, but spending 30-50$ once or twice a year isn't that big of a deal imo.

it's taken into account, one scoop serving is 30g and contains 24g of protein

1 scoop before
2 scoops after

I eat the whey powder. It absorbs quicker into my bloodstream.

youtube.com/watch?v=jpQHL5nRAL8

After, idiot

Shit shoud I replace my post-workout banana by maltrodextrin?
I always though it was a roider meme..

>Wrong. A 2lb tub of medium quality whey costs like 50 bucks.

What third world shithole do you live in?

I can get a 5lb tub of ON for $60 from a local (read: not chain therefore more expensive) shop.

No way you can't buy that shit online for cheaper.

If you are only going to take 1 a day, before bed

i dont even drink protein shakes anymore...

>It takes 30secs to down a protein shake whereas any whole food will take at least how long to prepare and eat?
how fucking lazy can you be?

Whatever if it doesnt disrupt your training.
There is one thing, that really matters, daily macro.

I just bought 6lb chocolate whey for $35

>1 gram per pound of body weight rule
THAT'S A MEME

you know people got other shit to do then cook all the fucking time right you stupid motherfucker?

why are two bear homos assaulting that poor man?

if you don't have time to make a 30 minute meal, you need to reevaluate how you are spending your time. like on Veeky Forums.

>the protein jew
>10 lbs of optimum nutrition whey @ $70 when on sale
>149 scoops in a bag
>$0.47 per scoop
>2 scoops for lunch + 2 pints of milk provided by the office
>lunch = $0.94/day
>go into office 4x week
>work lunch budget is $19/month
>'falling for the jew'
nigga I am the jew fuck outta here

>or

Before, as it provides amino acids to mitigate catabolism while working out.

To defeat the Jew, you must become the Jew

No shit sherlock

>Taking protein before going to the gym

These are the faggots that are farting and stinking up the gyms

not all of us are NEETs having mommy cook our tendies

This hurts to watch

Someone tell me the best way to get cheap Whey, I'm doing unflavoured myprotein at the moment and it's like £10 for a kg. What's the best price I'll find and how many scoops a day?

No one has protein an hour before bed? When you sleep is when your body is actually creating new muscle tissue and repairing damage

I workout before bed, 1 shake before and 1 after right before I go to sleep. I have no idea if this is working or not desu user, I was on a cucked routine and only made arms and shoulder progress for a year.

Unflavored whey and casein.

This. I was eating between .6-.8 g per pound and got much better gains when I upped my protein to 200g per day.

Are you retarded? What if I don't want to spend 30 minutes cooking everyday? I have other things of my interests I would rather be spending that time on, specially when I can just drink a protein shake.

>I was on a cucked routine and only made arms and shoulder progress for a year.
lol, in a year im going to look