UPPER BACK GENERAL

Redpill me on lats please. Do I need multiple exercises to grow my upper back or are rows all I need?

I've been told deadlifts are all i need a strong upper back but they also advocated stronglifts as a "mandatory beginner routine" so I'm not sure.

Other urls found in this thread:

exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html
exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CBOneArmTwistingRow.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

as with every muscle it is made up of many fibres so doing different exercises is good to target all areas
also
>LAT PULLDOWNS MUDDUFUGGU

Too many fucking pajeets taking up space in the src

That guy's chinese though

You're upper back and back in general has so much potential even as a natty.

To develop your upper back, switch all your pulls to snatch grip. Take your current deadlift 1rm and aim for getting that same weight with a snatch grip

Get strong as possible on multiple rowing variations. One of my favorites is the snatch grip yates row. It lets you use a lot of weight and it just hammers the whole upper area of your upper back.

Power shrugs for the traps are excellent as well snatch grip rack pulls. Also rear delt swings for rear delts.

Dumbell rows, barbells rows (wide and underhand close grips). All flavors of chin-ups and pull ups (overhand wide/close and underhand close). Lat pull downs (wide and close grips), seated cable rows (wide and close grips).

I also like sitting on a 35 degree incline or so on a bench (laying on stomach) and doing two-arm d-bell rows either close to the body or with a overhead grip farther apart.

Then there are the classic t-bar rows, one of Arnie's all time favs.

All of these will hit Romboids, Teres minor/major, rear delts, some traps, inside/outside parts of lats depending on grips.

Just mix shit up , do different ones every other time you do back and it will blow up soon enough. I usually pick 2 movements that target the upper/lower areas. Next day when i raise my arms or stretch them to the side and i feel that good soreness all up n down my back and the side rib cage area, i know it hit really well.

Phil?

A list of viable upper back exercises:
Barbell rows(any of the 100 or so variations)
Dumbbell rows
Pullups
Pulldowns
Pullovers(performed with very bent elbows)
Rack pulls
wide grip shrugs
Nether rows

I'm sure there are more, but this should be a start

I've found that power cleans destroy my traps more than any row or shrug
For the rest I just do deads and wide pull-ups and my back looks alright.

These are the fundamental exercises:
Chins/pulls
Barbell/Dumbell rows

for back I like working in both the 15-18 rep range as well as the 6-8 rep range.

warm up with high reps, work up towards heavy weight, then exhaust muscles with high reps.

Also pullups are pretty god tier if you can get 12+ reps per set, you can get a good back pump

Here is what a snatchgrip looks like fyi

It's much easier to train back if you consider movement patterns rather than individual muscles, since there are a lot of muscles that work together. Now, the shoulder is a complicated joint, but you can get every kind of movement with the following:

>shoulder extension, which brings your elbows down (pulldowns, straight arm pulldowns as isolation, chins, rows where your elbows are in, any pull with a close grip and with elbows in most effectively targets this movement)
>shoulder adduction (the opposite direction of a lateral raise, pulldowns and wide grip pull ups, not something you usually target on purpose because chest and triceps also play a role in this movement depending on arm position, you get strong at this just by doing lots of pressing and pulling in general, dips and pull ups help in particular)
>scapular retraction (nether rows as isolation, explosive pendlay rows, most horizontal rowing with emphasis on wider grips)
>shoulder transverse extension and abduction (reverse flies as isolation, pendlay rows again, horizontal pulling with a wide grip)
>shrugging movements for upper traps (deadlifts, shrugs, strict lateral raises)

In case you don't see the pattern here, doing a big compound horizontal row with a mid-close grip, a big compound vertical pull with any grip width and some face pulls/reverse flies is sufficient as long as you're deadlifting heavy. Obviously weak points require more emphasis, and you should add accessories or change up your grips when you need to in order to bring up weaknesses.

Source: exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

One deadlift variation.
One row variation.
One pullup variation.

I don't think you need more than that as a beginner. You don't need to bounce between 10 exercises to "hit the back from every angle" when you're new, just get strong and good at a few and look into specificity when you're not moving total babbyweights.

I have to confess I don't understand the differences in what the Yates and Pendlay rows work, except for probably more biceps if you do Yates supinated.

Do they actually work different muscles?

Are lat raises necessary? It doesn't really feel like I'm working anything and it's mostly my forearms. I actually feel my back and lats though with pull ups but I can only do 3-4

lat raises are a delt exercise, bro.

What you guys think of pic related? I started doing these, it's amazing how it feels from my forearms to my back to my abs.
>exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/CBOneArmTwistingRow.html

bump

Yates row focuses more on traps since you're not completely parallel with the floor

shit breh, gonna try this out tomorrow

I hope that country one day discovers rexona for real, makin gyms stink bad

do a vertical pull (pullup, chinup)
do a horizontal pull (bb row, db row, etc
do direct rear delt work

that's your upper back covered

deadlifts will hit traps and the lats are activated during them, but if you rely on deadlifts to build lat size and strength you will be in for a rude awakening

lat raise = lateral raise, it has nothing to do with the latissimus dorsi

it's a side delt exercise

weighted pull ups
some form of row
progressive overload over a few years
Done