Yesterday was first day lifting. Ever

Yesterday was first day lifting. Ever.

I'm starting SS, I go to a small gym in my neighborhood owned by the same dude since the 80'. He got a state certification and has a long history of training people for martial arts. He said to me that he will not coach me if I don't ask but will give me advices and help me correct form if he sees something done wrong.

I explained to him the program I was starting. He seemed a little perplexed (he is more of a endurance/hypertrophy guy) but said that he will not tell me not to do it just because this is not what he would do.

He said to me that for the first 2-3 weeks I should run 3x10 with smaller weights instead of 3x5 with 'heavier' weights so I can learn form better and adapt gently.

So I did that because I'm not impatient.
After finishing I saw two things:

I'm fucking weak and I get nauseous and light headed when I squat.

OHP: Just the bar (10x20kg/45lbs)
Squat: 10x30kg/65lbs
Deadlift. 10x30kg/65lbs (I did not get the form right yet so I did not go heavier)

I'm 5' 11, 220 lbs btw (fatass).

If you got any advices/comments/recommandations I would be grateful. Especially for the ifeellikeimgonnadieaftersquatting

I'm going back tomorrow for day B. Very motivated despite the nausea and the weakness

at this point you'll get stronger irrespective of your rep range

Take videos of yourself. Helps you catch things to do with your form.

Reminds me of my reaction when I started, except instead of nausea it was being massively out of breath.

The gym guy makes a good point. You would probably benefit from training with light weights to learn the form and get used to the volume.

Drink as much water as you need and rest as long as you need to complete the sets. Track how long you rest and see if you can rest less each workout.

Once you can do the higher volume and lighter weight with good form, begin your linear progression. Godspeed.

read the fucking SS book, there's pdfs all over the internet
the guy is likely well intentioned, but doesn't know shit

the lightheadedness is likely due to moving too fast, try to slow it down a little and have more control over it

That's what I thought. Thanks !

Will do ! My form is okay for lifting the weight but when I go down to begin another rep I tend to round my back and not be as tight.

Thanks a lot ! I think I do not breath right during my set, I tend to focus so much on the movement I block my respiration. I'll work on that.

I did read it. But I saw no harm in doing things differently for the first 2/3 weeks and then starting the program as it should be done. I'll try doing it slower, thanks !

>I did read it. But I saw no harm in doing things differently for the first 2/3 weeks and then starting the program as it should be done.
you didn't really read it, did you

Trust me I remember fucking reading 50 pages about the squat. I do not understand why you are questionning this. Just because I do not stick to the program exactly like it is intended to for a start does not mean I did not read it. Breathe a little.

LONDON
O
N
D
O
N

Didn't read the thread because I'm sleepy as fuk.

SS is shit. Don't be memed. Do a nice PPL split and you'll see all kinds of gains across the board. It's much more modular and more useful than SS, unless you can't workout every day at all. He's also right that you should use light weights to learn form. Three weeks is a stretch, but still valid.

>go to the gym six times a week as a beginner bro
It's this guy again

tl;dr
Fucking greentext and stop using so much goddamn spacing or fuck off back to Le r*eddit newfag

lifts?

Not op, but what would be the best way to do PPL with just five lifting days a week? (AAAAAxx)

i think PHAT and PHUL are 5 day programs although i could be wrong

There's nothing wrong with that. He's hitting different muscle groups every day.

OP your nausea will go away after your CNS adapts

Not even. That's how weak I am

I'll see in 6 months where I am, I'll stick with SS till then. But thanks for your advices

Hurr durr can't read normal text if its not greentext because I like greentext so people should write in a manner that I like. Never been to reddit, been to 'everywhereelseintheworldwereyouusespacing'. Get a life dude

Ok nice ! I could continue with nausea but knowing that it is not permanent is a good thing. Thanks

PPL minus one leg day (PPLPPxx or PPLxPP)

>Hurr durr can't read normal text if its not greentext because I like greentext so people should write in a manner that I like. Never been to reddit, been to 'everywhereelseintheworldwereyouusespacing'. Get a life dude
haha fuck you nigger. You're always gonna be weak and a fat fuck. Being fat is supposed to be a head start in the strength department but I see you fucked that up as well because you are fucking failure who can't even green text properly

I do

A - Biceps, Back, Traps
B - Chest, Triceps, Delts
C - Lower body

You can place abs anywhere or just do it on C instead of lower body. Ppl are going to judge you to hell and back for not training legs consistently, but you can do it for periods of time as long as it fits your objectives. Likewise you can just isolate certain leg muscles and have two leg days (with different muscles on each) but unless you're a leg freak it's usually not worth it. PPL or ABC is single-handedly the most adaptable training regime there is.

There is ZERO issue with going to the gym five days a week as a beginner. As long as you give enough time for each individual muscle to rest (48-72h is ideal) you're good.

I like isolating my shit. I train for aesthetics, not peak strength or functionality or whatever. Never did a squat or deadlift in my life. These aren't bad exercises per se but there are simply better exercises for isolation on every single muscle a squat or deadlift tries to stress. Also it's way easier for you to mess up on your form than when compared to common isolation exercises.

Also focus on your diet OP

How did you start... That's what I'm training for, but everyone seems to say work on the main lifts for a good strength basis then isolate. Zyzz is long time goals haha

Ur smol and weak lol

>muh aesthetics

also you might just be doing too many reps at once. if you want to do more reps to get form down 5x6 instead of 3x10 should be less taxing.

strength base is literally a meme. you do NOT need a strength base to acquire hypertrophy and furthermore you make strength gains on a hypertrophy program anyway, especially as a beginner.

Check out PHAT. My buddy who's been lifting for 2.5 years is still making strength gains on it and looking aesthetic as fuark.

The contradiction probably won't help. It:

Training with really light weight to learn the form can be a waste of time. For certain exercises like the deadlift it gets easier to do it properly once it starts to be somewhat challenging. It's really easy to bend your back with just lifting the bar and not really notice your form is bad. But once you hit 50-60kg you'll start to see that it's not a good idea and you'll be forced into better form, yet it's not so heavy that you'll injure yourself. Worst you'll do it make your back sore for a few days.

post your body or prepare for eternal fucking silence

you first faggot

I'm not the one here claiming to be the aesthetics guru. But it's like I thought, you're afraid to post your body so we all know now that you are full of shit.

>the average Strength Base poster

do us all a favor and go back to /r/fitness

>Never did a squat or deadlift in my life
Everybody point at the pussy and laugh

yeah keep up the damage control guy who is afraid to post his body to back up his claims. Afraid we are gonna make fun of your small wrists skelly?
Literally nothing you say beyond this point has any merit or weight until you post your body and back up your bullshit. Til then you can throw all the bitch fits you want and sling around insults all you want, but you're still a faggot afraid to post his body even though he claims to know what's best for an aesthetic body.
Put up or shut up you dumb faggot.

go ahead enlighten us why strength base is crucial and post your body while you're at it

just kidding i know you won't do either

Who said I was for strength routines? I just like to see people on this site who pretend to know what the fuck they're talking about cite their sources. But keep trying to distract from the fact that you've been called out and made to look like a bitch.

Post your body for lelz.

But on a serious note, I could do with a good strength foundation. I help my dad a lot on a local farm, we store stuff there, in return we do all the metal fab they need, and there's quite a bit of lifting involved.

PHAT seems quite time intensive, but my main concern is I hate gyms. Just too busy and you can never get on the equipment. I have a pullup bar, squat rack and bench press at home and I use that. I do need to add a pulley though to get tricep pulldowns sorted.

Hes right though, you are afraid to post your body because youve made bad gains on PPL