Why are box squats a thing? Why do trainers try to push this shit on new lifters?

Why are box squats a thing? Why do trainers try to push this shit on new lifters?
I thought when you squat, you should go low. You know, ass to grass.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IxAVJkbTf0M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Well supposedly going ass to grass is bad for your knees

It's also probably a safety issue for them

Lol. Then don't do squats. a 400lb ass to grass and a 400lb on a bench is going to be hard on your knees either way. Might as well get the full range of motion strength and squat properly instead of half assing it and not getting much out of it in return.

>Well supposedly going ass to grass is bad for your knees
But it's not. Why do trainers believe this meme?

You're asking why do trainers push this on new lifters. New lifters are doing 400 lbs. They are doing their body weight or the bar, or 95lbs.

The box squat gives a newbie some safety. It also lets them develop some of the stabilizing muscles that let you continue your development of the lift.

if trainers don't continue to come up with new and stupid ways of doing things normies get bored and subscriptions drop. follow da money.

Going ATG is actually a bit better on your knees than quarter squatting, because you get a bounce and stretch reflex. I wish I could comfortably squat though. My femurs are so much longer in comparison to everything else, it totally fucks up the lift for me. I always end up getting a ton of spine pain because of how I have to bend back particularly far (not to mention that my ass is only about an inch from the floor on an ATG squat). I have to set up a box a bit below parallel to even be able to do that shit without injuring myself.

>They are doing their bodyweight

Are they wearing sandals too?

It helps with form.

Probably because its easier to teach somebody to sit down and stand up (since they have been doing that all their life) than to teach, observe errors of and rectify a full squat. Most PTs are complete charlatans.

Atg squatting is a meme that only oly lifters and tryhards do.

because a lot of people dont have the required flexibility and motor patterns to go full atg when they first start squatting.
you teach them a partial squat with the box squat so they can focus on engaging the appropriate muscles then progress them.

you're fucking retarded if you think an immobile desk worker is going to be able to squat ATG the first time in a gym. Like honestly, your IQ must be fucking tanked to not be able to put two and two together

kek
>blacks out

+1

a lot of beginners who have never stepped foot in a gym probably cannot squat correctly. a lot of people have terrible mobility from a sedentary lifestyle

not to mention, its hard to develop the motor patterns and people are going to be really uncoordinated at first. problems like having their knees cave in, feet come off the floor, bracing, and etc. so the box squat removes one thing they would have actively think about (the depth).

once theyve got it down and start to become a little more flexible and got the basic motor patterns of the movement they can progress to regular squats easier

its not a bad movement, and you can still squat low with a box if you want to, just start with higher boxes and get progressively lower boxes

Shit nigga I do both ATG and box on leg day

get on my dick

Newbies should just do front squats until they have the mobility to back squat.

Roll

do not listen to this idiot

Blaha swears by it.
He said you just gotta check your ego at the door.

Another reason not to do them then

Absolutely this. No true beginner should go straight from the couch to complex lifts. 99% of true beginners need AT LEAST a few weeks of mobility work prior to touching a barbell if they want to lift consistently without injury.

>ass to grass
Meme. Unless you're a serious athlete, like an Olympic lifter who's actually going to utilize that ROM and dedicates himself to training/stretching to achieve it, you're just going to slowly fuck your shit up.

t. 25 year old with fucked up joints who never found himself in a position where I needed to explode from an awkward ass touching the floor position

cause new lifters don't have the necessary stability nor mobility to go low without assistance you dummy

I've always thought it was because it helps newbies realize the power from the bottom of the squat. Kind of how like pause reps for bench kind of helps emphasize the power of the bottom of the movement, instead of bouncing the bar for the sake of getting heavy weight up

Real box squats are a completely different exercise than Hight bar squats.

youtube.com/watch?v=IxAVJkbTf0M

Did not know it is that hard
God bless my slav genes

anyone still has the screencap about this?

So many herniated discs caused by fuckheads like you coaching newbies to back squat 185 when they can't even keep a neutral low back position due to the weakness of their upper-back.

Most fatass office workers can have a fairly large amount of leg strength. What they do not have is back strength. If a person cannot front squat 75lbs to depth, they have no business doing back squats. They will squat morning a back squat due to wanting to complete a lift and their lack of back strength. Front squat makes that nigh impossible, they require decent form or the bar gets dumped.

>When you spine gets broke from 185lbs
How is that a bad thing.

The distance between you knees and your hips is the greatest at parallel though.

I do have use for it. I often have to carry around furniture because the furniture department in my store has 2 fucking days off in a row because they're cunts like that so I get stuck covering their days off and have to, alone, move the furniture that all the fucking animals I have to call "customers" want because everybody from MY department is busy doing THEIR job because unlike the fucking furniture fucks we don't get the same 2 days off in a row every week because we're fucking busy.

>I thought when you squat, you should go low. You know, ass to grass.

Not everyone on here is a manlet, dickhead

You should only be doing box squats if you compete in a squat suit. The whole point of the variation is build familiarity with the competition movement which is different than a "real" SQUAT. If you're failing at the bottom or want to build "explosiveness" do paused squats or pin squats

I feel that box squats are better for field athletes due to the stretch shortening cycle of the box squat.

Actually it's better for bitch ass men like you

You sound like a retard

Whereas you are an actual retard

New lifters are more likely to buttwink going past parallel, which could cause lower back issues which they will then blame on the PT for not correcting their form. So they teach people to stop at parallel to save themselves the ball ache of having to deal with insufferable retards, who have blown up their lower back, further down the line.

this

All I'm hearing are excuses.
If you get spine pain it's not because of your memurs, it's because of poor form and bad bracing.

When talking about reaching parallel do people usually talk about the bottom or the top of the thigh?

idk but Boris Sheiko uses it to train new athletes to hit the correct depth

do you know better than Boris Sheiko?

Trainers need to come up with something that feels novel to make hiring them feel justified. Either that or the person is fat or old enough that they don't have the flexibility to perform the basic movements and they need to perform a veriation like the box squat or leg press until their mobility improves.

The same logic can be applied to any lift, including quarter squats. If anything performing ass to grass squats with good form is safer because you'll be handling dramatically less weight than you would with half reps, the bottom position will take tension off your knees and not to mention you'll need to attain the necessary mobility to perform the movement, which also reduces the risk of injury.

Partial movements are a great tool when teaching beginners new lifts. For example box squats and board presses are used by some powerlifting coaches when training beginners/intermediates who have an undeveloped technique. Not every program needs to be a carbon copy of SS and not everyone has the same learning curve or faces the same problems.

I also have long femurs /short tibia also user. I stand on a plate. It helps a lot

Anything below parallel is fine. Just do whatever you like the most. However if you're going ATG, make sure you have the flexibility to do it with good form.

All that matters is that you are able to progress well, because guess what, a guy who does 4pl8 but stops at parallel is still going to be much stronger going ATG than a guy who does 2pl8 ATG

I think box squats are a great learning tool for new lifters, and I can see them being good for non strength athletes if you sit on the box and explode up. Still, everybody should perform ATG squats if they have the requisite mobility and technique.