Can music and fitness complement each other?

Can music and fitness complement each other?

For example, practicing guitar, specially with steel strings, can be pretty taxing on the fingers/wrist. Would that develop them overtime, provided you're growing?

does being good at typing mean i will be good at playing the piano? if i commit to it?

Is that a sarcastic question?

legit question actually

Best forearm workout on the planet.

it will make your fretting hand stronger but I'm not sure if strong fretting fingers translate into a super strong grip. I play guitar and my grip strength is shit, although I'm newer to lifting so maybe that's part of it
no.

> he plays an instrument, he is soo creative

oh yes I play guitar and drums and my forearms are very nice

Maybe then. How good you can be at any instrument really depends on how often you're willing to practice it more than anything else.

It's only taxing in the fingers and wrists if you're doing it wrong.
And even then don't expect any gains. Maybe an injury.

My music teacher who has been playing for 30+ years including extensive jazz training doesn't even use the harder end of the steel strings anymore as he's gotten older because they kill his fingers. I guess he's playing it wrong?

Please, do educate him.

>It's only taxing in the fingers and wrists if you're doing it wrong.
Confirmed amateur. Just wait until you start needing to do 7 fret spaced bullshit to get that perfect sound. Chords that sound like atrocious noise on their own, but delicate beauty when used as a transition. Then don't practice for a week or two, try hitting those positions again and tell me how your wrist feels.

Wrist and grip gains on fretting hand, bicep and slight shoulder gains on strumming arm. Huge improvement in dexterity in both hands, though in different ways. But you actually have to practice/ perform at least an hour or so each day.

>Women and men alike who don't know me roll eyes when guitar comes out at parties.
>"Oh boy, here it comes..."
>Play for 20 seconds
>"Omg he sounds just like a CD!"
>Have to play and sing for hours until exhausted.
>So many requests for shit I don't know and have no desire to learn
>Women keep trying to interrupt mid song stroking arms and flirting.
>sad.png when others too intimidated to jam with me usually.
>Women get catty and all but openly fight each other for my attention at the end of a set

That is the reward for years of dedicated playing. God help anything else with a Y chromosome when I bust out of DYEL mode.

>when you've ben playing for 30 years and are still doing it wrong
lmao at his life m8

This. If you're actually musically talented it can help you make it
>inb4 'b-but how do I know??'
You know if you're shit

I watched a video of an old guy who has been playing guitar for decades he said his left hand grip strength is huge, just from fretting the strings with his fingers for 40 years or something. I've been playing guitar for 2 years and I already can see my left hand grip strength is much higher. I tried today holding a rock with the right hand: 3 secs, and with the left hand: 10 secs.

I don't think it strengthens your right hand.

Also this just occurred to me. Electric and acoustic guitars and flamenco guitars have low action while classical guitars have high action, so maybe playing classical guitar develops more strength.

probably not. those movements are just so specific to themselves that there isn't much overlap.

semi-professional musician and shitty ex-gymnast so I have some experience. probably wont develop each other. just practicing guitar will build up the muscular strength on its own

Why do people always ask the most random, stupid fucking questions here?

Bassist playing in bands for over a decade, lifting won't do jack shit for your skills, but it will make you look good on stage and help you haul equipment around.

You do know where you are, right? The anal sphincter of the internet? It is the perfect place for stupid fucking questions.

>lifting won't do jack shit for your skills, but it will make you look good on stage and help you haul equipment around.

This straight up.

I don't know about fingers, but I've played the sax for about ten years now and it's greatly improved my lung capacity. Not to mention that I could probably deadlift 2pl8 with my lips alone

Classical guitars Have very low string tension and nylon strings. They're absolute baby tier for finger strength, but they usually have wider fretboards.

My nig. Take no prisoners melts my forearms

Not really, I shredd as a mutherfucker, only my fingers get a little tired, you must not workout your arms enough. Drums though is different

>learning poison was the cure
>trying to sing while playing holy wars

The harder end of the strings? The fuck does that mean, a guitar string is the same thickness all the way through. Unless you mean the bottom strings? Even then, is your teacher not aware that he can just put a lighter gauge of strings on his guitar?

I kiss ur forearms and caress them

I see. I've never even tried acoustic nor electrical, but my grip strength is still much better in my fretting hand after 2 years of practicing the classical guitar. I do have a bouzouki too though. It has high string tension but the string gauge is very light and the action very low, so it is not any more hard to fret than the classical guitar in my experience.

Been playing for over a decade and I can guarantee you that it will not do anything for your wrists. In fact my wrists are so weak and barely flexible that my bench weight is way lower than it should be.

I hope you're trolling. Guitar strings aren't just nylon or steel, there are multiple levels of tensions you can get. Some steel strings are just a notch above nylon and some will tear the skin off your fingers.

My fretting hand is not any more noticeably bigger than my playing hand.
So it won't make your skinny sticks more chad if that is what you are asking

talk about strong wrist. this nigga could smash the neck of a guitar with his left hand alone.

>0.13 string with stupid high action

Acoustic (especially a cheap one with thick add strings) is the most strenuous. Then an electric with a Floyd Rose and thick strings, which is just annoying, then everything else is pretty trivial.