Been smoking for about 3 years now, ~half a pack a day... looking to give this shit up

Been smoking for about 3 years now, ~half a pack a day... looking to give this shit up.

Is quitting as hard as they say? any tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AXk2CB2_g2E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Is quitting as hard as they say?

Why don't you try.

The hardest part is to quit doing the rituals around smoking.

Idk why don't you try quitting, fuck head

One reason I haven't tried yet is I've heard that quitting failure can make further attempts even harder since you've you've already conditioned yourself to give-in to the cravings. I want to be better prepared mentally and have some idea what to expect for when I finally go cold-turkey.

just switch to vaping at home, gum/lozenge in public
ezpz no cancer big gains big money

wow havnt heard that excuse before. no its almost impossible for you to give up smoking

Whoever told you that is probably a smoker in denial. The truth is almost nobody quits successfully on their first try. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try, but don't lose hope if you relapse. Keep quitting and eventually you'll quit for good.

Don't listen to this gainz goblin. What a negative cunt. You can do it, OP. I'm in the same boat as you.

prepare to be mad as hell for a few days

youtube.com/watch?v=AXk2CB2_g2E

Tobacco is probably the easiest drug to quit. Fuck even caffeine is harder to quit than tobacco. People who think it is hard to quit tobacco are pussies who want to feel bad for themselves and think they have it tough.

It's not as bad as many people say, for example the physical withdrawal effects are minimal. It's comparable to fasting for 2 weeks only you donn't have belly aches.

You're scared off losing something that makes you feel nice and feel sad that you will NEVER have it again. In reality as soon as your addiction wears off you wont miss it all.
Biggest plus of stopping with smoking is not health but having a clearer mind that doesn't think about smoking all the time.

Vape. I smoked as long as you have (started just before 27 years old FFS) and am now 2 months with no cigs. Vaping is quitting on easy mode.

>Jordan Peterson
Maybe search for some non-meme sources? Or just continue making excuses for not quitting. It'll be your lung cancer.

Switch to vaping. Despite the faggy subculture around it, it works pretty well. I cut down from a pack of Spirits a day to roughly one a month.

until you try to quit vaping which i'm finding fucking impossible because instead of only doing it after certain things like a meal or few hours of work, i was chucking a cloud every couple minutes

Not at that stage yet, but I could see the trouble.

This. Vaping feels a ton easier on the lungs and everything, but having switched I still consider myself a smoker because I'm a giant pussy who can't go more than a day without putting a pole in my mouth.

trust me it's hard as fuck u'll have a huge appetite which will help you alot if u're bulking
just stay at home more and play vidya honestly is the easiest way / sleep more i am in the exact same situation

>babys first philospher

dude i quit caffeine with absolutely 0 problem but tobacco fucks me

the main thing is you need to actually want to quit

nicotine tricks your brain into wanting to smoke. you need your conscious mind to be stronger than your subconscious. you need to know how disgusting and wrecked your lungs are getting. you need to know how nasty you smell to other people. you need to know you are destroying your gums, turning your teeth yellow, damaging your heart, shortening your life. and on and on.

and ask yourself. is it really worth it? pretty easy answer tbqh. once you know it, then you can quit.

my advice:

let yourself have a cig or two in the morning, and after dark. wear a patch during the day. do this for a week or so. try it with the lowest strength patch, use medium if necessary. if medium, give yourself a week or so then downgrade. dont get use to medium

then phase out your morning / evenings cigs. replace them with nicorette gum if necessary, but a little junk food is better (eating triggers nicotine release, and a temporary 5-10 lb gain is worth it to quit smoking, you can turn it into muscle in the gym later)

do NOT vap nicotine. you want to stop smoking

when you have given up cigs in the morning/evening, given up gum, and want to get your binge food fixes under control .... start taking phenylethylamine. it helps regrow nicotine receptors. if you can stay off nicorette / patches / cigs for a couple weeks while your nicotine receptors get back to normal levels, you won

I quit for 9 months once and picked it back up. Then I switched to vaping. The urges don't get better or less frequent, just shorter. Now with a vape @ 9mg .5ohm, Now ciggies aren't strong enough and taste like shit anyways. The only health difference is no smokers cough and a cold lasts 2-3 days instead of 2-3 weeks. It's cheaper.

hes right. the main thing to succeed is actually wanting it, overcoming the fear and just doing it. also i would recommend dont subsitute.

t. on and off smoker the last 10 years

>tfw smoked for almost 11 years
>no intentions of quitting and don't experience any ill effects

it will come eventually user :(

Im smoking for 7 years, got into Long distance runing this year and i really want to quit to improve my cardio gains, but shit is hard, im able to give up smoking for a week before race but then i always get back :(

halp

I smoked for 25 years. I quit cold turkey because my then eight-year old came to me and the wife one day, started crying his eyes out and said "I don't want you guys to die of cancer!" Wife and I looked at each other and quit on the spot. I have tried to smoke a few times since then but after not smoking for a long time it makes you feel like shit physically when you smoke one. Mentally I was like "Cool, this is what I remember" but then my stomach started hurting, my lungs felt...odd. Also, whenever I smell a smoker walk by nowadays I am grossed out. I think "Fuck, I used to smell like THAT?" My poor friends.

Its easy as fuck if you deal with the real issue that makes quitting "hard" - The psychological dependence.

The physical withdrawal from nicotine is literally less noticeable than that of caffeine, and is over within 72 hours..
The mental side however, can last your entire life if you don't learn to understand how and why it works. You have tied cigarettes (the relief of your nicotine cravings) with every aspect of life, for example:
>It goes so well with my morning coffee!
>it helps me concentrate
>it gives me something to do when bored
>it rounds off a nice meal
etc

These are all justifications that are false, as is every other "enjoyment" gained from smoking. Its all just removing the withdrawal symptoms that begin setting in 20 minutes after your last cigarette. This craving relief is substituted in for the nice feeling that nicotine gave you the first few times you smoked. You know as well as I that you never get the same rush from smoking that you did when you first tried it.

Anyway, read pic related, I smoked 20 a day for 8 years and quit overnight with this book and never looked back. 6 years smoke free now and life is great. Not shilling. Download it for free if you want i dont give a fuck.

The physical withdraws are not bad at all, I've found caffeine withdraws to be worse. That being said if you've made a habit out of smoking (you really enjoy the taste feel and experience) it will be much harder to quit.

My running is ok, it's not something I want to excel at, and I still have great work capacity and explosive power, which I do care about.

Probably helps that I haven't been a pack a day smoker in years.

vape with nicotine.
It's honestly so easy, you can slowly lower the nicotine content and ween yourself off it but desu I enjoy it and don't really feel the need to quit nicotine all together.

dont stop you will not make it anyway

whatever quitting route you end up taking, vaping or gum or cold turkey, once you take the leap you should go to a sauna or steam room for a few days. most gyms have them and saunas will help you sweat the nicotine out and makes it easier

quitting really isn't that bad, it's not a good feeling but it's not something you can't work your normal schedule through

the biggest risk to relapse is unknown stressors that will justify you going to buy a pack... first time I tried to quit somebody tried scamming me out of an item I sold on eBay, so I fucked up there

just try to keep your days as static as possible and you'll be fine

Step 1: switch to vaping nicotine instead of inhaling formaldehyde and other chemicals from cigarettes. Be careful the quality of smoking apparatus you get (no china exploding junk) and the quality of the liquid nicocrack. Smoking will be less fulfilling and you'll want to quit soon.

Step 2: buy the 3 stage patch, but don't wear it all night while you sleep.

Step 3.1: get up in the morning like The Rock does and do 30-60mins of hard cardio. You will not want to smoke after doing that. Any withdraws you have you can go ballistic on the machine/bike to work them out so this would be a good time to quit cold turkey.

I quit maybe 3-4 months ago, I smoked pretty consistently because I thought it was cool, at a certain point it becomes very NOT cool.

One day as I finished my cigarette I was first of all disgusted by the taste, feeling, and smells all at once, I manifested so much disgust in such a little amount of time that i'm sure my brain instantly linked a disgusting future, with continuing that shitty ugly habit.

Don't be like my dad, who is smart, funny, yet is inevitably going to die a painful death from smoking every day, and every single day, every single cigarette, I know factually he's thinking of his imminent illnesses that will not only destroy his mind, but his body.

I just teared up thinking about it. I know it will be miserable for everyone, especially him. All the way to his death. I can't handle that fate upon myself, therefore I quit.

It's not hard. Chew some gum and move on. After 3 days you should be good. Anyone who says quitting cold turkey is hard didn't want to quite in the first place.

>used to smoke 2-3 packs a day and quit cold turkey.

I had the same half pack a day habit but for 14 years. I think the trick is recognizing when you have the constitution to quit for 2 weeks, after that it's easy sailing. I quit around last december cold turkey and this is the longest I've gone without coming back to it or taking nicotine replacements.

I did it. It was easy but I got fat. You definitely feel those cravings though.

>Is quitting as hard as they say? any tips?
The whole ''quitting is hard'' meme is just a cash cow to make even more money of people that want to ''quit'' smoking. Because they will purchase pills, strips, and vaporizers instead.

>phenylethylamine
>helps regrow nicotine receptors

Gonna need a fact check on that. As far as I know you can't regrow nerves or even repair them. You can prevent damage from happening to them with antioxidants but once it's fucked it's fucked for good bromo

It says on the wikipedia page that it's a stimulant that works similar to amphetamines

" The class of substituted phenethylamines includes all substituted amphetamines, and substituted methylenedioxyphenethylamines (MDxx), and contains many drugs which act as empathogens, stimulants, psychedelics, anxiolytics (hypnotics) and entactogens, anorectics, bronchodilators, decongestants, and/or antidepressants, among others"

Feel free to correct me though if I am wrong. Would love to believe it true

This is a really sad fact, but being free form the addiction is worth it.

>Gonna need a fact check on that. As far as I know you can't regrow nerves or even repair them

You can't repair the cord section of a neuron but dendrites and synapses change frequently. Also I would not call that "damage" since it's something the cell does to itself and reverses.

Intriguing.

How does phenylethylamine work to do this? Aren't stimulants corrosive to nerve endings?

This is me in a decade.

not sure about the specifics of phenylethylamine. But generally speaking stimulants are not specifically neuro agnoists or antagonists they're just named that because of the response they elicit. We'll just go with caffeine since it's easy to find. It's a adenosine-receptor antagonist. Meaning your adenosine receptors are blocked from absorbing as much adernosine which would make you sleepier. In this instance the brain synapses grow more adenosine receptors to try to get it. If it were say the opposite and was an adenosine agonist it would probably remove receptor sites to try to mitigate the effects.

I think people exaggerate how hard it is to quit. The hardest part for me was even after you had quit for a while you would get the occasional strong craving.

Some tips from my experience (pack a day for years, quit in 2015):

Quitting smoking is similar to dieting: it's not something you do temporarily to meet a goal; it's a lifestyle change. Counting days can be counterproductive - when you make whatever arbitrary number of days you set for yourself, you will be tempted to reward yourself with a cigarette. While this sounds obvious, the unconscious tendency to think this way caused me to fail several times.

Have you ever ended a relationship with someone you still loved? Quitting feels a lot like that. You will dream about cigarettes for months.

Some cravings are overwhelming and almost unendurable, but if you time them, you will discover they last much less than you imagine they did (15-20 minutes can feel like an hour).

Nicotine substitution isn't really quitting.

Environment triggers cravings (some heroin users overdose from their regular amount in an unfamiliar setting).

Like most people, I successfully quit by going cold turkey. Like most people, I had tried cold turkey many times and failed. I now see those failures as part of a transition - I was changing the ratio of days smoking vs. days not smoking.

It's difficult and you may put your friends and family through hell, but quitting is less painful than life will be with COPD or lung cancer.

Just chew my dude. Better buzz and it won't fuck with your lungs

OP
Im here to help. This is the only way of looking at it that has done me any good.

Source; smoked heavily for about 9 years

Let me explain.
You CAN NOT think of it like you will never smoke again. It is simply not doable, and laughable. Think of if you said, you will never eat chocolate again in your entire life. It is a laughable proposition. HOWEVER, If you broke it up and said, (especially if the addiction is severe enough) 'I am not gunna eat chocolate for 3 days'. that is much more palatable than 'ok im NEVER eating chocolate again'. your brain is just like, 'lel ex dee, fuck you man'. So at the end of the three days, and you want to to smoke again, go fot it. u deserve it. you went three whole days. But now you know that YOU CAN DO IT, even if its just for 3 days. So now...make it a week. a little old week. after that week, if u want a cig, go for it. NOW YOU KNOW U CAN MAKE IT A WEEK. and so on and so forth. eventually, you will be able to pick up a cig now and then, and actually NOT be addicted. I can go for many months at a time now, a year even, without even thinking of smoking. but if my buds are out having a smoke, il join them, and think nothinf of it.

Enjoy the lung gains OP

Grab your fucking nuts and quit cold turkey, that "weaning off" bullshit is useless. Start doing daily HIIT cardio, if you stay diligent you'll hate the pain in your lungs so much you'll feel ill thinking about smoking. Like others have said, abolish the ritualistic behaviors of smoking; I keep gum in my car at all times. Most importantly DO NOT say you quit, if someone offers you a smoke you say "I'm not a smoker" or "I don't smoke". You have to sever that shit from your identity or else there will always be an inkling of desire.

Switch to vaping,get an Aspire Nautilus and enjoy tge feel of dragging on a cig while tasting yummy flavored vape

Your best bet is to switch to vaping. Nobody quits smoking, 99% dont. Thru vaping many are succesful eventually quit even vape or go zero nicotine

>Day 1 /nosmoke/
>Already failed
Fugg.

If u really want to quit its not that hard man. Week or two max to kick the physical addiction and then the rest is mental, but more doable than people say. Drinking is when ull need to be careful of relapse.

I honestly think the idea that it's really hard to quit is a meme perpetuated by tobacco companies to keep people addicted

>t. never smoked
or
>t. quitting was easy for me, so anyone else having trouble doing it cold-turkey is a victim of advertising
kys

I didn't find it too hard to go cold turkey. I think for me it was getting out of situations I associated with smoking. I worked in a bar and smoked to take a break and the same sort of thing when at university. I graduated university and stopped working at the bar so decided to quit too. It was hard for about two weeks and I felt like shit (coughing, dry skin, trouble sleeping) but now I don't really think about smoking. The hardest part is seeing your smoker friends again and smelling that sweet sweet nicotine, just have willpower in these situations.

>4 years smokefag camel blue half a pack or more a day

Are you kidding me OP? Quitting smoking is extremely easy. I would know, I've done it 1000 times.

I've never been too heavy OP. Like a pack a week at Max for a month and social cigs occasionally. What I did to quit was buy clove cigs. I'd smoke one a day heavy and hard. It wasn't my usual smoke and didn't really like it. P much gave nicotine after that.

What about rolling your own cigarettes and using organic tobacco?

I have gone months at a time smoking 4-5 cigarettes a day and never had any trouble quitting. Is addiction to nicotine a meme? Does it only happen at high levels of consumption, such as half a pack a day or more?

i think you need to smoke for a long time to get really heavily dependent on it. ive smoked on and off for a couple years now, finally just said enough with it because it didn't feel as good anymore. i never really had trouble quitting.

ive quit opiates numerous times before that so maybe thats why i found it so easy. smoking cigarettes was never something i really needed. i chew nicotine gum now for a stimulant.

I'm glad it's legal for people to come on the internet and say shit as stupid as this

Some people are genetically predisposed to be less sensitive to the addictive effects of nicotine.

No I use to chew for years
Wanted to quit one day and never looked back
It's shitty for two, three days most
You just need the will power

I've been smoking for 11 years at at least a pack a day.
It's pretty hard, but the last time I quit I used the Alan Carr book and it worked flawlessly. Then I got drunk and wanted to try cigarettes again and ended up smoking a pack at a party and haven't tried quitting again.

gotta get back on that wagon.

I've been seeing threads about wanting to quit smoking quite a lot lately. I was a heavy smoker myself (20+ cigs, handrolled, a day minimum) for 6 years, and quit this past May. I'll see about creating a general one of these days, but here's a basic guideline for you and anyone interested:
The two enemies you'll face are withdrawal (which will be mostly gone 3 days down the road and completely gone 1-2 weeks after) and cravings, which are the real enemy
Preparation:
>visit whyquit.com
Read up so that you have an understanding of the addiction, and so that you become adamantly sure in your conviction
>make a list of all the things that make you not wanting to be a smoker anymore.
It will be extremely important when you are 1 month down the quitting road and thinking that one smoke won't hurt
>put aside 3 dead days
You'll be wanting to stay away from job and focus on doing hobbies and things you enjoy, be it vidya, movies or whatever
>the night before the first day, watch Allen Carr's easy way to quit smoking.
There's also a book, although I did it with the movie. I'd advise against watching it prematurely, watch it at that moment for maximum effect. You can smoke normally throughout.
>Go to bed, happy that you'll be a non smoker soon

(1/2)

I have tips. You have to wean yourself down from 20 cigs or however many packs a day down to one cigarette a day, doing so will help SLOWLY get you away from:
1) Smoking custom/ritual
2) Nicotine addiction
3) Hand to mouth habit (oral fixation)

>the main thing is you need to actually want to quit
This is also very true

You also need to understand that the first time you quit probably won't be the last, it's really easy to slip up. But that doesn't mean you get to make excuses, it means you have to kick yourself over losing progress and start over with more determination than last time

The actual quitting process:
First 3 days:
>The hardest you'll have to endure, but practically nothing compared to the big picture. Hard withdrawal, many cravings
Don't believe the hype, you are actually going through the same withdrawal when you don't smoke for more than 2-3 hours or so.
The actual withdrawal will make you groggy and will elevate anxiety and anger, but it's no problem if you don't put yourself in those situations.
Distract your mind and it is a literal breeze. Play your vidya, fap furiously, do what you have to do to do. You'll get intense cravings (up to 10 a day), but those only last for 5 minutes or so.
Next 2 weeks:
>Far easier, but you're still quitting. Low to mild withdrawal, occasional cravings
You'll still be a bit moody, and will feel anxious or angry more than you wouldn't otherwise. Aside from that, withdrawal is almost unnoticeable. You'll get the odd couple of cravings every day. Aside from those, you'll be literally not feeling anything at all. Also, the first positive effects of quitting will kick in. This is also the time that you'll start breaking associations, the biggest part of quitting.
An example: you've always smoked after working out. The first time you finish working out you'll get an intense craving. If you succumb, you're back to smoking. If you don't for the 5 minutes that it lasts you've broken that association, and will probably not get a craving in that occasion again.
After that:
>No withdrawal. Sneaky cravings. You're a non smoker.
This is the last milestone. The only problem here is that you'll be getting cravings very seldomly, and they might catch you off guard. The list I mentioned comes in handy here. Stay away from every last cigarette in your way, and those last cravings will go away after a couple of months. Also the last associations come in play here, meaning the ones that you didn't have the chance to break during your first 2 weeks.

That's it! You're a non smoker.

(2/2)

>I would quit but if I don't quit it will be harder to quit so it's better to not quit

I fucking hate teenagers

i know you want to preserve your self kmage but vapong fucking helps dude i swear. statt off on 5 nic and slowly go down till u get to zero and ill be off it. it helped me and even though vaoers are usually fags the stuff is so good for quitting. if you really value your self confidence get a loe profkle one but dont ahun kt because it makes u look bad. im off everything now and because of that i have a huge tespect for anyone who does do ehag i did.

I was a smoker for like a year and I peaked at 2 packs a day while on vacation in Greece. After I got back a tapered down in three weeks to between a half a pack and a pack a day, then after going to the gym and playing a game of basketball and having a cough attack. I decided I needed to quit so I started vaping "nic salts" I use a device called a "suorin air" (I would also recommend a "juul" but the refills are very expensive where I live), since then I have basically completely stopped smoking cigarettes (I'll have one or two after a night at the club).

So do you plan on quitting the vape eventually?

It took me a year to quit with several tries.
I would go about a month or two at a time without smoking and then I'd get roped back into it. Yeah it's hard but worth it imo.

>The anger is just the worst part.

I quit cold turkey on NYE 2013. Besides a few drunken parties, I've never picked it up since. Just grow a pair and do it, pussy.

>smoking in the first place

smoking had fucked my vision so much. im only at a day of none. anyone know if my vision will get better on it's own or what?

Just stop and ignore cravings man the fuck up

This is so fucking Underrated. It's all about you vs you. Just as you can go yo the gym and add weight, you must do the same here, you stop it and never smoke again, that's the way to go.

You must ignore it tho,without giving it any thoughts or you will get back.

This worked for me, for my mom, and for a few friends, it's all about your mindset, If you don't feel prepared you won't be prepared. Man up.

and i hate old men who try to brute force everything only to fail in 80% of their activities

it's called active planning you mentally ill retard, you're not a man-- your a low iq pleb

a-user, are you ok there?

what

stop