Gym Anxiety

>Buy a University Gym Pass
>As simple as I say it, my anxiety was utterly fucked up and I basically had to force myself into the office to buy it
>Tried to act all casual
>Ended up getting lost trying to find the Gym cause the building had no sign to it
>Probably missed it right in my face but I was basically sweating hard already and with no change of clothes, had to leave

Fuck man why is this so hard. Anyone else have massive anxiety trying to take the gym-pill?

You're probably an autist shut-in, and I'm saying this with no malice whatsoever (I used to be that way too).

Just force yourself to go the gym until you get used to it, it shouldn't take very long.

Its just probably the stares I feel I'd get. Im not even overweight, I can look thin, its just self consciousness
And how the fuck am I supposed to shower naked with others
Its a popular university so even early morning there's people

No one in the gym gives a fuck about you. You're a nobody. No one is paying you any attention. Most people will admire you for trying, anyone that takes the piss is a cunt and why would you care what they think?

Go to the gym.

listen to this user and if you don't want to shower there just go home and do it. stop making excuses and just do it

Alright, thanks m8's, Ill try to think of that
Also can't go home to shower, I commute to uni, so its a little fucked there

If you don't live far, bike. Wear track pants with shorts underneath so you don't have to put any effort into changing.

As soon as you get into the swing of things you won't feel so out of place

Uni gyms suck.

I’m at a uni gym (staff discount). It was full of student athlete types today. I’m pissed because I wasn’t expecting them to be back for another couple of weeks.

Also, why do they have to work out in gangs??

Hopefully as the term progresses they’ll be less interested in coming.

This shit here

>access to college gym included in tuition
>tuition coveres by scholarship
>new gym opens today and has 5 of every kind of rack
>dumbells that go beyond thirty pounds
>actually open in the morning
>some people around but spacious and room to do everything at 8am
I'd say where I am but I don't want more people to start showing up

Maybe it's because I go to a small school and no dorm building is more than a 10 minute walk from the gym... but nobody showers in the gym. We all just walk back to our own.

My university gym is a world class facility and the athletes have their own gym building to keep us normies from bothering them

its actually nice once you realize you are a dyel and everyone knows it
its almost liberating because no matter how shite your form or your lifts you will look small so nothing matters

So what you're saying is that student athletes prefer to train in groups or teams if you would? How is this a revelation?

Why would you ever want to compare yourself with the average person who doesn't lift and eats like shit. That's like bragging that you have a greater degree of English proficiency than a Chinese peasant which while true is not really an accomplishment.
Compare yourself with those who try hard and aren't complete retards about what they do, those people are your true competition.

I went to my university gym once but was far too intimidated to do anything there.

Over the years, I've asked a few friends to take me to the gym and show me what to do, and they've declined.

Finally someone did it, and 10 years after walking in and out of that university gym I'm lifting for real and losing weight for real. It's never too late.

>go to gym
>change into gym clothes
>do SL5x5
>do accessories
>shower
>change back into street clothes
>go home

>Also, why do they have to work out in gangs??
welcome to normies

>freshman year of college, 2010
>emaciated manlet, 5'7" 115 pounds
>roommate of mine begs me to go to gym with him
>i go
>university gym is really nice, lots of machines, two levels, racquetball, basketball, rock climbing, etc
>obviously can't lift shit, no clue what i'm doing since never been in a gym before
>surrounded by all these ripped guys, frat boys, cardio bunnies, etc
>leave having basically done nothing from embarrassment
>get back to dorm with roommate, he starts making fun of how weak i was to people on our floor
>never set foot in it again

>benching 1pl8 for the first time
>do every rep right, untill the last one
>spotter is distracted probably looking at women
>last rep, my arms are wet pasta by now
>can't get the fucking bar in the peg thinghy
>well shit i'll die now
>only avoided a broken rib probably because zyzz and piano man spot me from heaven
I left the gym then, was too embarassed to look at anyone at the face for being an idiot

The gyms around me have been overcrowded and shitty or $150/month crossfit gyms so I workout at home with a bunch of bodyweight stuff. A 24hr fitness is opening less than a mile from me and I want to go because they have a full lap pool but I don't want to wear speedos because everyone will see my tiny bulge and I don't want to wear trunks because I'll look like an insecure nerd. Oh god what do I do.

wear light coloured semi short trunks
that makes the bulge look bigger but they're still trunks
also, whoever is looking at your dick is either gay or a woman, it's a win/win

I want you to remember this, friend. Nobody is judging you. If they are, FUCK THEM. You're there to improve. To better yourself. Anyone who's going to belittle you is the real outsider, because in an environment of self-improvement, people shitting on those attempting self-improvement do not belong.

People told me I'd get over it
I didn't believe
But i did

I did for a long time. I would go at night or early in the morning. Eventually it stopped bothering me and I started going when it was convenient. I still hate waiting for things so I never go at peak hours though.

>I don't want to wear speedos because everyone will see my tiny bulge and I don't want to wear trunks because I'll look like an insecure nerd.
well you are an insecure nerd

But I'm a well endowed girl in tight revealing clothes.

Yeah but I don't want anyone else to know. Jesus how embarassing.

Believe me, they know. They also don't care.

You're in the water for most of the time anyway.

I got a spouce pass to a uni gym in my late 30's. I knew when it got busy and did cardio then. Lots of teachers worked out their too so I liked to think people think I'm fac or staff.
I heard some totally retarded shit from the bro science masterclass. I should write it all down and start a thread.

People work out in groups because it's a great way to motivate you to keep going, as well as always having a spot there with you.

That being said, fuck any group bigger than like 4 in a gym, people that hog equipment for a fucking hour because there's like 9 people all taking turns with it is just ridiculous.

I go to Rutgers and it has 4 gyms, one gym has a bunch of asian powerlifters who warm up on my max.

>Hunky powerlifter asks me if he can deadlift after me, I say yeah of course
>Be proud of my deadlift PR of 185 5x5 as a small asian boy
>Start unracking, the guy says "Nah it's okay, hope the rest of your workout goes well ;)!"
>He warms up until his working weight is 4+pl8
>They all look like this and they're so humble too

;__; my dream to be one of them one day

Seriously, nobody will give a fuck about you at the gym. My mates are gym rats, I do calisthenics and cardio. They tool me to the gym last week and after lifting weights with them for a bit I got bored and statted doing my calisthenics routine in the squat rack. Out of the 6-7 people there no one so much as gave me second look.

Yo you're gonna make it OP and when you do, you'll be all the more satisfied because of these struggles.

Chin up and keep on keepin' on

I struggled a lot with anxiety when I first started going to the gym. I hired a PT to show me form on all the lifts and so I wasn't alone for my first few times in the gym. Now I'm a pretty intermediate gym goer and have basically gotten over that anxiety. I could not care less about anyone else in the gym, no matter how out of shape they are etc, and I'm sure they feel the same way.

Chin up, OP.

>5x5 deadlift
start doing an actual routine, not one you made up yourself

Similar experience here, super anxious in the beginning. I went with my friend who is strong and experienced. I'm definitely past the beginner stage now and am very comfortable in the gym.

It's tough and uncomfortable in the beginning, but just keep going and it gets easier.

>dumbbells that go beyond thirty pounds

How is this good? I'm happy about our dumbbells going up to 50kg (about 100 pounds), any gym without dbs beyond 30 is plain ridiculous.

Wait you don't have self contained showers at your gym?

My gym has showers in rooms like toilets, literally a room you walk into with its own door, a bench to put your stuff on and the floor is that tiling for showers.

Fake it til you make it. By day 3 in the gym you won't be so self conscious about it.

Literally everyone who is there is there because they think they can look better than they do now.

Trunks offer more resistance and only tryhards and old men do laps in speedos.

then wear the speedos

you wear speedos and people will see you have a small dick, and that it doesn't bother you, so you might be a grower

you wear boardshorts and people know you have a small dick and are insecure about it

I wear boxer briefs for underwear.

They always make your junk look 10x bigger and give you a nice bulge.

I'm a super fucking grower though, 1 inch flaccid maybe 2 up to 6.5 with a boner.

then wear boxerbrief style swimwear

oh i'm not OP i'm some other autist.

I actually started going to the gym during my exchange at an American university, because it was free for students. It was a nice gym, I only have this one shitty memory of "senior citizen" (probably a staff member, there were quite a lot old people during some hours) just standing next to me waiting to use the equipment I was using and looking visibly pissed that I have the audacity not to stop the moment he stood next to me. All the young people I met at that (or any other) gym were polite

>used to be an autist shutin
>now Im just an autist shutin who also goes to the gym