Daily reminder whether or not you should squat and deadlift is determined by GENETICS

Daily reminder whether or not you should squat and deadlift is determined by GENETICS.

> Bret: [...]you know that you can build up the body to be very strong. The muscles and as long as you hold good position and your training parameters are proper, your frequency, volumes, postures, load, all these things, you can build your body up to withstand that.

>Stu McGill: Some people can’t.

>Bret: Well that’s what I would like to talk about. Okay, I’m gonna veer off. You mentioned genetics as it pertains to the spine. Talk for a second about ovoid and the limacon disc shapes.

>Stu McGill: [...]we can have a variety of disc shapes. We inherit that from our parents. If you take a slice through your low back, you will look down and bird’s eye view and see the shape of your disc. Some are oval. If you twist an oval disc (an oval disc likes to twist). The great golfers, not all, tend to have ovoid shaped discs simply because of survival of the fittest. If you can’t swing a club very well and you can’t twist, then you’re going to choose another sport besides golf. People with these slender, oval discs tend to become golfers. Those types of spines can twist. Now, if you take the typical middle linebacker from NFL, they don’t have oval discs. By definition to survive in that sport, they have to take a lot of compression and they have much bigger, thicker, much bigger radius discs. But they’re shaped like a lima bean when you look down on them. they are big and indent at the back where the spinal canal is. When you get a thin branch and bend it, it will bend. There’s not much stress. But if you take a thick branch and bend it, it breaks. That’s what happens with very thick discs that tend to be limacon shaped. The hydraulic stresses that come from bending in big heavy spines get focused to the back of the curve of the limacon and these kinds of people end up with posterolateral disc bulges if they bend too much.

>b-but deadlifts are safe using good form
All it takes is one little mistake for a trip to snap city

So what kind of discs do I need to have to do that

But that's about twisting. Which you shouldn't do.

I guess they're saying oval discs twist easier and those are more likely to suffer back injury from squats and deadlifts? Or is it the other way around, and that if you twist with oval you're safer than twisting with BEAN SPINE?

It seems to be saying that poor form fucks both but in different ways.

This is already answered in OP but maybe another interview where he states the same thing will make things clearer to you,

>CW: [...]I know it's not exciting to talk about genetics since they're factors we can't control. However, genetics do play an important role in this argument for or against repeated spinal flexion, correct?

>SM: We've discovered that the shape of the disc determines its resilience to the number of bends it can survive with minimal collagen delamination.
>For example, while an oval-shaped disc with a smaller radius is better suited for twisting actions, it's poorer at repeated compressive loading. On the other hand, a limacon-shaped disc is better suited to bear high compression but it succumbs to focal stresses at the back of the limacon with repeated bending. This is exactly what's seen clinically.

Spine thickness and the corresponding disc shape is GENETIC
Thin spines with ovoid discs bend well but do not adapt well to heavy compressive loads and vice versa.

>yfw they were right

>tfw I will never know what my bones look like
I just want to be able to take myself apart and reverse engineer what I'm best suited for.

Sure I agree with this, if you don't have thicc limbs and bones you should just take up distance running Tbh

If you have to squat like this. Don't. Layne Norton is a fraud and is humiliating himself with these squats.

HIP MORPHOLOGY
I
P

Are you one of those people who never had back pain doing situps? You probably have narrow discs that bend well.
Spine thickness doesn't determine if you'll be big boned or big even as I'm sure you've seen little girls doing a triple bw diddly before.

Yeah sure.

But the point still stands, one would probably figure out pretty damn quickly whether you're suited for strength or impact sports or not. Though of course one would have to be able to learn how to distinguish between ligament pain caused by inflexibility and actually just having a weakshit distance runner body.

dont we all

if you have long femurs and hips that can't support a lot of abduction, you really don't have a choice but to squat in that disgusting fashion

Yeah, I agree with you, but I don't think the back squat is the best exercise for you if you have to do that. If you're really into powerlifting then do what you gotta do but for general fitness and bodybuilding, other leg exercises would be easier and more effective without having to get into some funky positions. And it's gross and horrible to watch

is there any carry over between pull up strenght and deadlift strenght ?

or being good at one will make good in the another ?

Is this finally the excuse I needed to stop squatting?

there are other variations that put much less strain in your back, like bulgarian split squats, split squat, and other shits. Or just leg press.

Right but I think you're oversimplifying the alternatives. A person with a spine that's intolerant of heavy compressive loads could still become a bodybuilder or build tremendous strength on the prowler. There are more ways to build strength and mass than barbell squat and deadlift. Sure, an NFL player or powerlifter likely won't succeed without generic strength training prescription but they're a microcosm of the available training methods to the general public.

fact: this is only relevant for squatting above like 400+ lbs

There's some similarity in back muscles used but deadlift is posterior chain dominant and thus very little carry over.

This thread

Compressive loads are quite high at values much lower than that. I could squat 400 but my spine gets rekt as low as 2plate. There's no point progressing squats with these limitations.
you look DYEL as fuck unless you're on roids either way so....

But all that's left if you take away the potential for impact on the spine is cuck sports like bodybuilding or distance running

you're dumb

May be, but I'm right and you know it.

lol, no.

Name one (1) non-cuck sport that doesn't involve possible spinal compression.

Only a handful of sports require heavy loading of the spine. Tell me how many heavy squats and deadlifts Michael Jordan did.