Upper/Lower

I want to switch to an Upper/Lower split. What is your experience with this type of split/what is your favourite Upper/Lower split?

I really like this split. I'll do upper-lower-core/cardio days...rinse and repeat every day. Simple and effective.

>this split
Could you elaborate?

Running Candito's 6 Week program right now, give that a go if you want to make some quality gains.
Lack of upper body volume is a common criticism but I'm not seeing/feeling any issues so far desu.

Love U/L training though, it's the patrician Natty way.

Yeah I already downloaded his guide. He even has a Stregth/Hypertrophy program. I think I'll switch to this or Lyle's Bulking routine.

Made better muscle gains then my full body but not strength gains. Went back to full body is my experience with it.

How do you gain muscle without getting stronger? Doesn't Progressive overload equal more stregth and muscles?

he might have gained more size on stuff that doesn't translate to bench/squat/etc, but makes a big visual difference like lateral delts

there's really no way to say an upper lower does or doesn't work, it's not a program it's just a method of organizing training

GZCL is vastly different from TM upper lower, which is different from Lyle's, which is different from Candito, etc

>he might have gained more size on stuff that doesn't translate to bench/squat/etc, but makes a big visual difference like lateral delts
That makes sense
I just don't know which Upper/Lower routine I should choose
I know there isn't a perfect split, I just want one that's pretty good.

This is what I do, posted it elsewhere earlier
I slightly blur the u/l lines, but stick to the basic idea

U1
Emom DL 10/20*2/1 (typically @ 70-80%)
Pallof press 5*10 + Bench + Pendlay 4*5, 1*5+
DB Z press + chin + pallof press 6*12
Press up + 2DB bench row 6*12
Lateral raise + curls + band press downs 3*20+

L1
Front Squat 3*3 + ab wheel 3*10
Paused Squat 3*5 (light, focusing on good movement quality and long pauses with good tightness) + ab wheel 3*10
Paused DL 3*3 (5 second pause at the midshin)
Snatch grip rack pull 2*5, 2*10 (bar at the knee)
Snatch grip SLDL 2*15 (light, focusing on hamstring contraction)
DB Bulg split squat 2*15 (constant tension)

Rest Day

U2
Pallof Press 5*10 + Z press + chin 4*5, 1*5+
Incline DB Bench + 2DB bench row + pallof press 6*12
1 arm DB press + close grip lat pulldown 6*12
Lateral raise + curl + band pressdown 3*20+

L2
Squat 1*5+
DL 1*5+
Snatch grip rack pull 3*5

Recovery day
Press up + DB row 3*20+
SGSLDL 3*12
BSS 3*12
Band Curls + band press downs 1-2*100

Rest day

If you're into chasing numbers L2 is a bit like intensity day on TM, if you're not, bump up the sets and just keep them light and breezy

Volume. I could add lots of isolations on upper/lower. I cant with full body.

programs in the 3-5 rep range are better for strength, 8-12 better for hypertrophy. the reason for this is the former you are putting up weight as heavy as you can running on recycled ATP and primarily inducing muscle fiber growth, whereas with the latter you are putting up lighter weight long enough that your body switches to glycolosis, the fuel for which constitutes most of the mass of "big muscles", and thus inducing it to store more. this is also why strength programs encourage you to rest as long as you want but hypertrophy programs prescribe specific, usually short rest times

So low reps for compounds and high reps for isolation exercises?

progressing in the weight you do for 8-12 reps will increase your strength as well, and muscle cross sectional area is directly (r=0.9) correlated to performance in powerlifting

my guess is same as

Yeah I remember reading some study that said that the amount of reps isn't that important aslong as you "destroy" muscle fibers

>he doesn't do a 4 day Push/Pull with legs on Pull day.

Enjoy your hour long leg workouts that will get you nowhere whiile skimping out on upper body work.

>implying push/pull isn't the patrician natty program

Looks good, honestly interested. What did you base your program on? Kind of reminds me of alphadestiny's training style.

Push /pull is retarded. Where do you deadlift? Upper /lower is good, but ideally make it kind of push+biceps/lower+pull.

Perfect programm : jacked and tan 2.0 with biceps on upper and back work on lower. Rear delts all the time.

I personally do ULxPullPushxx with light squats on push and light DLs on pull days. May not be optimal for most but it fits my schedule beautifully and I have upper body imbalances I need to iron out. Will probably introduce a second dedicated leg day and one less rest day next bulk I guess.

>not doing LUxLPPx

Helms template with the wave loading and all or did you come up with your own?

i just picked a PHUL from reddit /r/fitness and its working well for me after doing SS for 6 months

helms, except I did some minor personal changes based on my current physique which was basically less leg work, took the chance to add ab work(will see how it goes, then I can add more volume if needed for legs)

also the first upper day where it's mostly just strength training aka lower reps I swapped the 4x6-8 OHP to 3x8-10 seated dbb press and put the OHP 4x6-8 on the day where you bench light(3x8-10) and as first exercise since I want to keep progressing on the OHP and doing both heavy bench and OHP just doesnt seem to work in the long run

also added lateral raises on the pull day for some lateral work and considering swapping face-pulls with rear delt flys
and one extra set on the biceps(pull day) since I chose to do pull ups instead of chin ups

this is it:

Day 1 Lower (Monday)
Squats 3x3-5
Deadlift 3x3-5
Standing Calf 4x6-8
Hanging Leg-Raises 3x8-12
Cable Choppers 3x8-12

Day 2 Upper (Tuesday)
Bench Press 5x3-5
Barbell Row 4x4-6
Seated Shoulder DBB Press 3x8-10
Weighted Pull-Up 3x6-8
Dumbbell Triceps Extension 2x8-12
Hammer Curls 2x8-12

Day 3 (Wednesday)
Rest 1x24

Day 4 Lower (Thursday)
BB Hip Thrusts 3x6-8
Single Leg Press 3x6-8
Leg Curl 3x8-12
Seated Calf 4x12-15
Hanging Leg-Raises 3x8-12
Cable Choppers 3x8-12

Day 5 Push (Friday)
Overhead Press 4x6-8
Incline DBB Bench Press 3x8-10
Weighted Dips 3x8-12
Triceps Pushdown 3x12-15
Cable Chest Flys 3x12-15

Day 6 Pull (Saturday)
Seated Cable Row 4x8-10
Weighted Pull-Up 3x6-8
Weighted Back Extensions 3x8-12
Standing EZ Curl 3x12-15
Face Pulls 2x12-15
Lateral Raises 3x8-12

Day 7 (Sunday)
Rest 1x24

pic related is me after SS + acessories and cutting down

will see how this goes with a more BB oriented routine

schweet, thanks for the detailed answer, this is more than I could have hoped for, helps me a bunch with designing my own (which I was struggling with, dont like the raw original too much because of reasons), neat!

oh and nice pic btw, n-no homo

what is this panda thing and why do I suddenly want to buy 5 of those

thank you hungry skellington

No problem, I just picked on some dude sample routine that knows what he's talking about, used all my research I've done and did some really minor changes to fit my goals without butchering the routine, like he tells you to, hence being a sample routine.
If you're beginner though you'd benefit more with a 3x week full body routine

t-thanks

this duo-headphone thing, behind his hears there's headphone jacks then you rip the panda head off(kek) and then you put it on the phone or whatever you like

I promise I started bulking this week, pls no bully

>then you rip the panda head off(kek)
even better than I thought :’)

nah I claim to be well into intermediate territory by now, but I was a strongfat strength athlete for the longest time, now I need to stop hating the mirror, stat. but I was unsure how to tailor his template to my needs (i.e. less legs, add abs), which you did a good job of. thanks again!

you can check on symmetricstrength
I just found out I'm actually proficient, pretty neat. And my gf which I thought wasn't doing the best (strength) progress is actually almost intermediate

No problem man, glad I could help.

my titties and quads are advanced, rest is intermediate

thanks obama

I kinda based it on Brian alsruhes stuff, he effectively uses the 5/3/1 idea of giving each big lift it's own day and then supersets antagonistically, and that's more or less what I've done, then just balanced out the assistance work and added more pulling work out of personal preference.

just do extra bench volume in the optionals, close grip or dumbell are my go to +some facepulls

Has anyone of you tried Lyle's Bulking routine?/What do you think of it?

Just starting one. Can anybody give me advice if my routine looks good?

What did you use for this??

My only recommendations are: Don't do decline bench, and add in something that targets your medial delts on hypertrophy day. Side lateral raises will do good.

Progression

I was planning on doing Candito Strength/Hypertrophy split after finishing, SS, but looking at it again there's no way I could do it. SS takes me 2 hours as it is and that's 4 exercises per session.
>How the fuck does SS take 4 hours
Rest nigga. I'm an old man.

Assume 30 second per set.

Squat
1x5 warm up
>1 minute rest
1x5 warm up
>1 minute rest
1x5 warm up
>1 minute rest
1x3 warm up
>1 minute rest
1x2 warm up
>3 minutes rest
3x5
>5 minutes rest between sets
Total squat minutes: 26

Repeat for bench, deadlift, and chins and you get around 1.5 hours (deadlift is 1x5 work set, no warm ups for chins). Add stretching beforehand and my drive to the gym and back home and it's a minimum of 2 hours per workout start to finish. I don't know how you guys can handle 30-60 seconds of rest between sets to speed things up and cram in more volume. Slow recovery sucks and age is a bitch.

>DBZ press

fellow old(ish)fag, I used to do Gironda 8x8 with 25-45sec rest, now I need fucking two mins between isolation stuff. Brb pinning some EPA, or at least meth, kek

Isolations would go faster I imagine, but heavy compounds are brutal. I stalled hard and early on OHP until I figured out I needed SEVEN MINUTES of rest between sets. Fuck me.

when it comes to compounds OHP is personally a bitch to me
I can do first set fine, second it starts to get hard on the last rep and the third set is fucking brutal, last two reps are a mental test too

I rest 2-3m on them
meanwhile, I can do bench 5x5 with less 2m rest or maybe it was just the amounts of caffeine I took that day

Can guarantee goku did these in secret for shoulder development

If you have the time, the ideal natty routine is ULxPPLx, with the first two days focusing on 3x5 heavy compounds and the PPL focusing on volume (usually a lot of heavy 4x8s).

If you're too busy for that or want a free weekend, I prefer push/pull to U/L simply because I never have enough energy to give the volume I want to upper body. Ends up being like 45 sets on upper and 25 on lower. With Push/Pull u can get 35ish on both.

Please rate

Thanks senpai. Meant to have side raises in there somewhere.

Yeah it's Progression. Just started using it this week but it seems really nice. During workouts enter your reps and it'll count down to your next set, it's actually really helpful. I'll probably pony up the $5 pro version which let's you export stats and stuff.

Try it for 3 months and see

im doing this except I took OHP from the heavy upper day to the push day(which I trated with a volume focused seated shoulder press) since I didnt want to be benching and ohping heavy on the same day

Patrician LUcLUc coming through

my favorite upper/lower split is the pelvis

>I prefer push/pull to U/L simply because I never have enough energy to give the volume I want to upper body. Ends up being like 45 sets on upper and 25 on lower. With Push/Pull u can get 35ish on both.
I like UL and you can easily equate the sets as follows: (wait a second)
On upper day you can alternate a push with a pull exercise, so you are relatively fresh. but in the end, your arms are dead. So it's not really productive to do curls and lat raises and stuff
On lower day, you have to deadlift after squats, which are both core, quad, glute and hamstring intensive, so it would be nice to take a break between them. You can do the arm isolations here, so you get to rest between sqwat and DL and the sets between the days become more equal. Also, it's fine in terms of recovery because small muscles like biceps and side delts can be trained more than twice a week

Sorry, I was reading your post and I got to the part where you said (wait a second)
Can I keep reading past that now? I'll wait for your confirmation.

yeah, just put it in because the answer wasn't immediately after the ":"

Oh, sorry, sorry. I'm sorry. See my pussy has been stinking especially bad the past few days and it's really fogging up my brain. What were we talking about again...... Ugh the stench is so bad!!! HOW CAN ONE LITTLE VAGINA SMELL THIS FUCKING DISGUSTING??

ohhhhh!!!! my b i forgot about toilets and i've been shitting in my panties!!! brb, going to clean up but when i get back i PROMISE i'll read your post about your UL program. it will be a while though, a LOT of feces got pretty far up into my pussy.

3D is PD, kys

You're not wrong. I'm and I have the best hygiene of any of my gfs. My nickname at my sorority was OCD because I hosed my shit off the back of my legs once before a formal.

And it wasn't even water from a garden hose, I just held my pussy shut with clothespins while I filled it with piss from my pee hole and then snapped the clothespins off so my piss gushed down to wash away some of the thick layers of poo sludge that caked around my legs.

>4 day Push/Pull with legs on Pull day.
So really you're doing a "4 day upper body front/entire rest of the body" program?

I'd ask if you currently reside in Delft but scat is a real turnoff
Please STAY AWAY from Delft, thank you

Tbh it's how Grand Squat Master Ripp-To suggests laying out TM over 4 days
Bench/OHP/LTEs or dips one day, squats, deadlifts and chinups the other

Did the exact same thing when I ran it except OHP is my best lift so I went heavy on that exercise of the push day.

you sound trans

reads super gay and crossfitish at first sight but the more I look at it the more I like it

>standing teapot
>mfw jacked dude in the middle of the gym goes all LITTLE TEAPOT SHORT AND STOUT, HERE IS MY HANDLE THERE IS MY SNOUT for reps
stomach hurting keks were had

Definitely a straight male in a 4 year relationship.

Deadlift on pull days, squat on push

>Push /pull is retarded. Where do you deadlift?
Are you retarded? Deadlift fits in perfectly on a pull day.

what? in a deadlift you are not pulling, but pushing the world away from you, this is the correct way to do it.

easy there chuck norris

Yes but you are literally working hams, low back, traps, rhomboids and lats. All of these muscles act to pull something towards you. I guess you get some quad and hip involvement, but it has always been negligible for me.

Deads (or even better RDLs) are a great compound to go heavy with at the start of pull day.

Really complicated way to just say that you are pulling the weight up

I always start pull day by pulling on your dad's dick. We coordinate it to his push day so he can push his penis through my anus when I'm done pulling on it to make it stiff.
Love,
Mom

i'm around ur height at 179-180 cm currently at 90-91 kg, i look a bit like ur 88 kg pic but (slightly) more muscular and leaner.

My aim is to look a bit leaner than ur 70 kg pic by halloween so i can go shirtless.
How long did it took you to cut to that point and whats your diet like?

link to panda?

link to a great big cuntful of dog doo?

Nice. Brian's giant set training is great. Thanks for the reply.

As an addendum, I'm not yet capable of working with heavy weights and 90 second rests like he is, so I can't claim to be doing it in his style, although it is a goal to cut my rest periods down to an extent

phat boys 5 days a week
heavy upper
heavy lower
back shoulders hypertrophy
lower body hypertrophy
chest arms hypertrophy

best routine i've done

Everything but l2 has a hell of a lot of fluff/redundancy. How long are you spending in the gym jumping to and from the same thing? 3 hours? Are you autistic?

Same. I am seeing good gains and it is hell of a lot of fun to do because I actually love the pumping bodybuilding days

If you dl on pull and squat on push day, you don't have time to recover. Dl are also heavy on the legs

Rest periods arent long for everything but the first giant set

Including a warm-up,
U1 takes ~ 1hr20-1hr30
L1 takes ~ 1hr20-1hr30
U2 takes ~ 1hr10-1hr20
L2 takes ~ 50 mins - 1 hr
Recovery Day takes ~ 30 minutes

The correlation between volume and autism isn't that strong friendo

Yeah it builds crazy conditioning

Bumping for u/l love

ULULULx reporting in

Just cycling through this with the occasional rest day

U1
Floor press + Pendlay Row 5*3, 5*5, 5*8
Curls + side raises 5*10
L1
Front Squat 6*3
Pause DL 6*3
U2
Z Press + Chin 5*3, 5*5, 5*8
Curls + side raises 5*20
L2
Squat 6*6, 1*20, 1*30+

Every single exercise superset with ab wheel

Post body
You're either completely dyel or full blown roided to the gills to handle this volume

I've been doing it for 2 months as an intermediate, it works ok with an eye on intensity. The way I keep it working is to only go heavy across on one of the 3 rep ranges, the one is a bit lighter, with an emphasis on speed and clean reps, and one ramps to a max over 3 sets, this way, only 6-7 of the sets are difficult ones.
These are example days

5*3 @85% (fast clean reps)
5*5 working up from 75-85%
5*8 @75% (last two sets are usually ball busters)

5*3 working up from 80%-92ish%
5*5 @82-85% across
5*8 @75% (fast clean reps, fairly short rest, getting a decent pump)

took me like a year or more since I was studying back then and couldn't track my meals which meant a lot of weekly fuck ups and set backs

my diet was whatever fit my macros but I always prioritized healthy foods, and now I basically only eat healthy 99% time unless there's some party at friends or something
I did/do the mediterranean diet plus seafood

gf got it for me on bershka iirc

Upper:
>Bench 3x5
>Weighted pull-ups 3x5
>OHP 3x5
>Row 3x5
>Bicep curl 3x8
>Weighed sit-ups 3x5
>Lateral raises 3x10

Lower
>Squat 3x5
>Deadlifts 3x5

Upperbody days are a bit long but the short lowerbody days make up for it. No idea how optimal this routine is but has worked great for me and it's fun to do

Whats everyones thoughts on WS4SB first template (the one without dynamic leg day)?

Can someone provide me with a ULxPPL style routine?

Google "Candito LP", you will find 1 pdf with 3 programs
Go to the "strength/hypertrophy" section
Split "Upper-Hypertrophy" into push and pull
Done

eric helms 5 day intermediate bb program

Is Candito's Upper/Lower Strength/Hypertrophy program worth a try?

Do bears shit in the woods?