High Fat Diets

Been doing a lot of research on high fat diets. It seems like your body runs just fine with more fat in the diet - from healthy sources of corse. In fact, it seems like the body is way healthier on a higher fat, lower carb diet.

This seems to be an odds with the food pyramid and most mainstream organization. At this point, the research is clear that these organizations and recommendations made in the past are flat out wrong.

So my question is: How did this happen? Was this an honest mistake where they looked at the data in the wrong way? Was there a bit of malfeasance because of industry conflicts overriding public health?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nV04zyfLyN4
nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/reference-intakes-RI-guideline-daily-amounts-GDA.aspx
youtube.com/watch?v=vCHPhIzOUOw
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/jun/ppkeys.htm
athero.org/commentaries/comm564.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You just fell for a conspiracy theory like the rest of the Low carb high fat crowd , don't worry i can happen to anyone with a sub 100 Iq .

You fell for the Keto meme
The only thing we should worry about in our modern eating behaviour is the amount of sugar we take, the shit that industry puts in our food, and the fact that we are slowly killing mother earth with all the meat we eat.

It's not a conspiracy, its bureaucracy. Probably in your lifetime the food pyramid will be updated or changed, only to remain static for a few decades and fall behind food science again. It's like technology or trends, you have to stay on the bleeding edge of research and be discerning enough to filter out bullshit and shills.

For example, the current view is that saturated fats are bad and so is dietary cholesterol - consumption of these can lead to heart disease. But we know this is not true - excess carbs is what leads to heart disease - the largest recommended food group and base of the food pyramid. Are these organizations stupid or evil because they are pushing nonsense to the American public.

Cultures that eat large amounts of fish and coconuts and consume a diet that is 60-70 percent fat (much of it saturated) are often found to have very low incidents of heart disease. This is just one example. There are many where increasing fat consumption and reducing carbs leads to improvements in many areas of health - heart, brain, liver, inflammation, etc.

>Muh culture

There's a 1944 study from the University of Rochester that recommended low carb, high fat diet for blood sugar control. We now live in a time where probably half the population has insulin insensitivity and our diet advice is still "yeah, 8 slices of bread is a reasonable base to your diet." Wtf?

Keto is actually really hard to do correctly and you have to be in tune with your diet to a whole nother level. The slow carb diet is much more feasible if you want to go that route.

Start off by getting down to 100 carbs a day and then work down to 75 and subsequently 50. Stick around there and focus of getting to these carbs via vegetables and fruits. If you are craving carbs eat them around your workout and avoid them at night.

keto is just a way to gear your body metabolically to fat loss

keto is NOT a healthy diet

keto is NOT a balanced diet

keto is NOT good for maintaining weight/bulking

keto is NOT good for mental health

keto is just a tool used to cut to lower body fat without losing muscle. any other use is delusional

t. actually understands keto and is not braindead

>don't worry i can happen to anyone with a sub 100 Iq

how many carbs are there in irony? because it's fucking delicious

what's the origin of this 'balanced diet' meme?

aka you don't need to fucking munch on multivitamins to not die

which really depends on how strict you're on keto, if you're so strict you can't eat 300 calories of vegetables you're going to be munching on vitamins

>killing mother earth
How impactfull is poultry? I only see arguments against beef? And I can't afford that.

See if you can buy chicken from a farmer's market from someone who has free range chickens. Way healthier than factory farmed chickens (more vitamins) and less impactful in the environment.

sugar and tobacco companies needed to shift the blame for the rise in heart attacks and cancer back in the 70s, quietly payed the FDA to blame fat (fat=makes you fat DUHHH) and reccomend carbohydrate laden diets. Since then, the death rate from heart disease and cancer has skyrocketed and it's getting so bad that, unless something is done, they say 1 in 2 in the u.s. will die of cancer

Turn back the jewish tide
Get on a ketogenic diet today
(also check out the fasting thread)

When you're recommended whole grains to make up a bulk of your calories they aren't talking about bread you creepy keto faggot.

Grains like quinoa and legumes are still very healthy though and keto doesn't be allow for them. Only reason I stay away from them is because they don't sit well with me

They don't "sit well" with most people. Because we're not supposed to be eating them.

Would you say keto is the most efficient way to achieve fat loss?

>The only thing we should worry about in our modern eating behaviour is the amount of sugar we take
agreed
> the shit that industry puts in our food
agreed
>and the fact that we are slowly killing mother earth with all the meat we eat
... reveal yourself green man, reveal you and your dastardly vegan ways

Jeez, vegangainz had/has a horrible physique. The guy doesn't know how to train, just look at that pencil neck. His biceps aren't bad though.

Lots of people eat them just fine; the majority of people I'd say. Different dietary choices for different bodies

I have an actual answer for you.

Most of it started in the 1940s with a man named Ancel Keys, who hypothesized that high fat diets were related to heart disease. He did a study of the diets of 21 countries, then published the results of 7 countries that supported his hypothesis. Since he was a big name in nutritional science, he held a lot of sway over the community's thinking. Later, the sugar industry got in on this and paid several members of the scientific community to hop on the fat is bad for you members, which convinced the government to start recommending the "heart healthy" whole grains to everyone. Didn't hurt that most of the country's agriculture was dependent on wheat and corn (a grain).

In addition, a low carb diet increases your LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels, so everyone thought that it was bad for you. However, what actually causes heart disease is small LDL particles that bind to artery walls, while large LDL particles (>25nm) are actually protective. High carb diets (and the subsequent constant increase in insulin) triggers your liver to increase triglycerides, which break down large LDL particles into smaller ones. Studies have shown that CVD is actually linked to number of LDL particles (LDL-P), not total LDL cholesterol (LDL-C). Studies have further shown that low carb diets increase LDL-C (because of bigger particles) while lowering LDL-P, in addition to tons of weight loss. I'd provide links but I'm on mobile, you can use Google as well as I can.

Whats a balanced diet?
The mainstream 50g prot 260g carbs 70g fat recommendation dosnt sound balanced at all.

150g p 150g c 100g f sounds more like it to be honest

sorry dude but I'm not vegan!
I don't say people should stop eating meat. I say we should really make an effort to go with local meat that is way better for the environment and much higher quality too. It is more expensive, so the idea is to eat quality once every three days instead of shit meat everyday.

poultry is the same as beef but in a smaller proportion
anyone interested in the topic should watch the documentary cowspiracy, it is quite an eye-opener
youtube.com/watch?v=nV04zyfLyN4

Personally, I have experienced incredibly easy weight loss, increased energy levels, clearer skin, and diminished food cravings since I cut out grains. While sugar is bad for you, most wheat and grain products have a higher glycemic index (increased blood sugar levels, causing increased insulin levels, causing visceral fat deposits and all manner of shitty things) than sugar. Additionally, digesting wheat results in polypeptides that bind to opioid receptors in your brain, making it literally addictive, to the point where people eat significantly less when given Naloxone (aka Narcan, the drug that literally brings heroin addict back from overdose). There's also evidence that wheat and other grains trigger autoimmune responses, resulting in inflammation, acne, rashes, IBS symptoms, hair loss, and a host of other complications.

Basically, try going grain free (and maybe reduced sugar) for just 3 weeks (to get past withdrawal symptoms, since it is literally addictive), and see how you feel. Also, read the book Wheat Belly. Most of it is anecdotal, but a bit of further research finds plenty of studies that support his findings, and it's an interesting summarial read.

Everyone here should learn to hunt. Good for the environment, cheap grass fed free range meat, and manly connection with your ancient ancestors

Yep I am from a family who fishes and hunts, nothing as manly as preparing your own meat with your grandfather
Worst thing is that people despise you for killing the animals then they eat a processed steak, pulled from 50 different cows. Each of these cows had a much worse life than the deer I just shot.
I don't really agree with people who talk about hunting like they talk about a shooting range though, it kind of pisses me off. Hunting is mainly about traditions and managing your lands and being close to nature. The guns and killing part is an accessory to it, like a duty you have to fulfil.

Tbh eat whatever, just lean towards eating whole foods. There's no special diet. Eat some healthy fats, (nuts, avacado, seeds, etc.) a medium amount of protein, and fill the rest with carbs.

Reminder: all meat and dairy is processed.

it seems pretty obvious to me that almost all these "fats are bad" or "carbs are bad" are just mixed up with "lack of fiber and veggies is bad". fiber is the shit for LDL and insulin sensitivity and stuff.

most people who eat a lot of fat get the fat from meat and fast food sources, which have practically 0 fiber. most high carb people on the other hand eat sugar and shit like that which also have 0 carbs. you can do both diets in a high fiber way, but most people don't so these things get mixed up.

isn't that like the minimum daily intake recommendation for each macro? i think 100p/150c/100f is pretty much what the actual recommendations say

I agree with (You) in a sense that fat is not nearly as bad as people say it is. However, there is a trend going on that demonizes carbs that is just ridiculous. It doesn't mean you should eat tons of pasta or rice, but yeah I think that being concerned is carbs is not worth it, the problem is mainly sugar and unhealthy shit.

See, what I don't get is why we still lump shit into the three categories of fags, protons, and crabs, then go around loudly declaring "fags are bad crabs are good" one day then "fags are good crabs are bad" the next.

The truth of the matter is transfat is awful, but unsaturated fat is good. Refined carbs are awful, but unprocessed high fiber carbs are great. High quality proteins are awful, but low quality proteins are good. Each category has good and bad players, and so our current categorization only serves to provide ways for folks to straw man without providing any helpful insight on diet

completely agree

Yeah. Had a co-worker who found out I hunted (I try not to tell people, since they can get weird about it), and literally said to me "I just don't see why anyone would hunt when they can just buy meat at the store".
Wtf? Do you not know where that meat comes from? It's not like I enjoy killing baby animals and putting trophies on my wall (though if I do ever get a monster buck I probably will, but I've only ever shot does and pass on smaller bucks). I thoroughly enjoy controlling everything that happens to my meat, from hoof to plate. It's gross and sometimes sad, but it's good to know where your meat comes from and what it means to eat it, and you get a really visceral connection to Hunter gatherers from thousands of years ago. Plus there's all the environmental benefits (my area has no bag limits because we just have too many deer), food cost savings, and the satisfied feeling of having a full freezer from the work of your own hands.

Some people just don't understand.

kek this is the worse
try explaining to somebody that deer population has to be controlled because they ruin plantations and that they can be TOO MUCH animals : they just freak out.
Veeky Forums hunters masterrace

nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/reference-intakes-RI-guideline-daily-amounts-GDA.aspx

Energy: 8,400 kJ/2,000kcal
Total fat: 70g
Saturates: 20g
Carbohydrate: 260g
Total sugars: 90g
Protein: 50g
Salt: 6g

Its from the uk but i doubt its that much off the us

>tfw living in a small country where hunting is stricktly regulated and almost impossible to get a licence whithout owning a shittone of forrest

Sucks, want to kill my meat too.
At least someday i get me those chickens in my backyard for eggs and titties

I've only been on Keto for about two weeks, but I feel great. I've been cutting for a little over a month (already down to 200 from 220), and the past two weeks have been much better than the first two, where I simply restricted my calories while attempting to get around 170g protein.

I have an easier time getting out of bed every day, I don't feel nearly as week during lifting, and I don't feel nearly as hungry even though I've restricted my calories even further from the first 2 weeks of cutting (I hit between 1600 and 1800/day).

It's not a diet I will stay on permanently; I will probably stop around 175 or 170lb. When I increase calories again, however, I am not going back to the high-carb standard western diet. I plan to keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

All that said, it's probably not for everybody. You have to be quite autistic about macro tracking, and it is very difficult to eat out, and nearly impossible to visit a fast food establishment.

I would still recommend it to somebody who might be frustrated with weight loss though. Fat is falling off me very quickly on Keto.

More fat in the diet generally increases androgens in humans, but it also worsens cardiovascular health, specially if saturated fats are the focus.

At best it's slightly better than regular macro ratio diets.

Good guy user shows up and delivers a history report. Thank you!

I eat a higher fat, higher protein paleo-ish diet

it's great

>But we know this is not true - excess carbs is what leads to heart disease

No we don't. It's just what you read on a biased keto blog selectively quoting studies ordered and paid for by the meat and dairy industry.
If we did actually KNOW, all health organizations would adjust their dietary recommendations accordingly, unless of course you believe they're in cahoots with some enigmatic Big Cabbage.

>mountains of research show that the entire meat industry, including poultry, has a massive impact on the environment
>"but the chickens is smaller than the cows!"

yes

it is also not advisable for a long period of time

>Been doing a lot of research on high fat diets.
> it seems like the body is way healthier on a higher fat, lower carb diet.

What research are you looking at? A big problem with nutrition research is that carbs are usually lumped in together (refined sugars and flours with whole grains, beans, and fruits) and people rarely eat the healthy sources of carbs that are recommended.

>This seems to be an odds with the food pyramid and most mainstream organization

Not really. Most guidelines, including the USDA's, have about 1/3 of daily calories coming from fat.

>How did this happen? Was this an honest mistake where they looked at the data in the wrong way?

They looked at areas of the world like the mediterranean and Japan where obesity and chronic disease rates were low and recommended people eat more like that. People instead continued eating sugary, fatty, salty foods.

>For example, the current view is that saturated fats are bad and so is dietary cholesterol - consumption of these can lead to heart disease. But we know this is not true - excess carbs is what leads to heart disease
"Not that I need any proof of this, it's just common sense, right? Oatmeal gives you heart disease"

>Cultures that eat large amounts of fish and coconuts and consume a diet that is 60-70 percent fat (much of it saturated) are often found to have very low incidents of heart disease.
You're talking about one study looking at EKG scans on a small group of natives.
youtube.com/watch?v=vCHPhIzOUOw

>Ancel Keys was an evil scientist who cherrypicked data and managed to convince generations of competing scientists to support his findings that were totally invalid

How reasonable does that sound to you?
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/jun/ppkeys.htm

>In addition, a low carb diet increases your LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels, so everyone thought that it was bad for you. However, what actually causes heart disease is small LDL particles that bind to artery walls, while large LDL particles (>25nm) are actually protective.

This is what you read on keto blogs when they're trying to convince you the clear negative effects of the diet are nothing to worry about. Both small and large LDL are atherogenic, and probably to about the same degree.

athero.org/commentaries/comm564.pdf

>vegan
>liar
What did I expect?

>carbs lead to heart disease

LMFAO then explain why the ONLY DIET TO EVER been able to reverse coronary heart disease was a high carb low fat plant based diet? LMFAO

neckpill confirmed

>unhealthy shit

it's silly to use this term in a thread discussing what is unhealthy