How does this pic make you feel?

This guy is a famous and respected strength coach who pulls 600+ (aka double your pull)
What do you even say to him?
Seems like these unconventional lift guys are everywhere now, but now they're strong and you can't tell them they're retards.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QPBYTdv-cs4
youtu.be/JPLXghqms8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't really care.

The internet is flooded with morons who think the only way to effectively train is the big 4 and that anything they heard on Reddit that was "bad" (btn press, upright rows are two good examples) are never capable of being any use.

Basically, the internet fitness forum generation are a bunch of insecure manchildren who have chronic fear of failure that seeps into their mindset regarding anything that isn't exactly what they are doing. They are scared that other things can work and so they will talk shit about those things.

bump.
cunts need to know the truth. you can't run away. this is the future of lifting.

Show me the meet results.

There are some unconventional lifts that work (e.g. Jeffersons, btn press) and some that are just a bad idea (Zercher DL, pic in the OP, hack lifts and a thousand more)

apparently he jefferson-deadlifted 605lbs at a meet

But they are only a "bad idea" because of the mindset that everything is only effective if it is pushing max effort with low reps.

Plenty of the "bad idea" lifts are fine if you do them with a suitable rep/weight range.

I can't see what that one would result in except maybe some slight quad growth and tight hip flexors t b h.

So what advantages does that have over a regular DL? legit curious

Thats because you're only looking at it from the perspective of your own goals brah.

Given that 99% of gym goers want strength and size and nothing else, then yeah its probably of no use to them. But not every person is chasing purely those goals.

Any sport that may have your body in that hyper-extended back position would probably be benefited by this exercise.

>Thats because you're only looking at it from the perspective of your own goals brah.
pretty much the only goal I could see for that lift is getting better at that lift. and there's nothing wrong with that. but it shouldn't be promoted by a general strength coach as a legit DL variant/assistance.

It looks like he's sticking the barbell up his bum lmao

>pretty much the only goal I could see for that lift is getting better at that lift
Same with the big 3

come on user, you can't possibly be this retarded.
Squat is confirmed for being the best exercise to improve jump and sprints.
Deadlift is self explanatory.
Bench is kinda useless compared to OHP/Incline as those more closely mimic pushing patterns irl. Still effective nonetheless
This is just common knowledge, I feel like a 6 weeks SS fag just saying it.
But as much as I like unconventional lifts to switch things up, back squat/DL/OHP are objectively the lifts that have the best carryover to all around strength.

> I do obscure shit just to go against mainstream
> edgy deadlifter
It still looks retarded.

>not doing the Ox Lift™
youtube.com/watch?v=QPBYTdv-cs4
it's like you don't even want gains.

Quarter squats and unilateral leg work actually
A2G squats do nothing.

well of course autistic a2g highbar are useless, that's not the point.

am I the only one who's bothered by how hard this redditor is trying to be Eric?

jesus christ, this guy. How about this, you switch out all of the regular lifts with these wacky looking lifts and see how well those play for you in terms of strength or whatever goals you got going.

wth kek

>fuck around in the gym
Most people are here
>make meanial progress
>become dissatisfied with progress
>discover beginner program
>make intermediate progress
>begin making modifications to beginner program or hop on a different program catered to more advanced lifters
You are here
>continue to make progress on a program
>decide you have more specific goals, you just don't enjoy certain lifts, or that you want to make a name for yourself
>find lifts that work similar muscles but are different, lifts that still have a huge frontier of records to be made, or just something you enjoy
Unconventional lifters are here
>decide to get really good at an unconventionnal lift

I ditched any semblance of a traditional program as soon as I hopped off of SS.

Training the big 3 is only optimal for powerlifting. If you want to train your jumps, you're better off oly lifting and doing plyometrics

Oh and deadlifting is also completely replaceable by power cleans, and bench is literally the worst upper body developer.

I don't how it is for manlets but at 6'4" these things just hit against my hammies and I gotta curl my back to reach the finish position

I like the stretch you get on your lats from these but they're def not a staple exercise and def not for beginners

>deadlifting is also completely replaceable by power cleans
How can one person be clueless.
These two have nothing in common.
>lifting something above ground
vs
>jumping to get something on your shoulders
how you can say they are remotely similar is beyond me. try lifting.
you're talking about behind the back/hack deadlift. that's not what this is.
actually looks fun t b h. not that stupid, but not much more useful than a heavier ssb squat / trap bar DL.

You are like a little baby
watch this
youtu.be/JPLXghqms8Y

He did train with Eric. But yeah the air guitaring in the gym is a bit cringe..

Wasn't him in a couple of videos with eric? They do the same type of training.

all respect i had for frog flushed down the toilet like that.

why? the way he does it is pretty dangerous but he didn't get injured. he's pretty strong and having fun with his training.
ya I know they know each other but he's trying way too hard to be Eric lite. The format of his vids, the way he talks, the music, the air guitaring/celebrating, the grunting.
SAD!
The manlet also does it to an extent.
Not that I blame them, Eric is a perfect human specimen. Who wouldn't wanna be him?

>bench is literally the worst upper body developer
bet you're one of those "weighted dips" fedora tippers huh.
to be fair there are some "wacky" (i.e. not big 3) lifts that do work better sometimes, dips and jefferson are an example
Really. What lifts did you do then? What kind of results did you get? Did you manage to make it kinda balanced? Always been curious about that type of stuff t b h.

> (You)
>Really. What lifts did you do then?
One arm Chin ups, planche push ups, overhead press, he's bar deadlifts, and bent over rows. Accessories are standing ab wheel, leg raises, rock climbing/grip work, and neck training.

I mix volume and intensity on each lift, but I will always focus my planches and one arm chin ups.

>What kind of results did you get?
Pretty good. I'm proficient enough now that I can put on size and still do advanced bodyweight movements.

>Did you manage to make it kinda balanced?
Yeah.
Balanced to me is volume and intensity then covering 6 basic movement patterns.
Vertical pull
Horizontal pull
Vertical push
Horizontal push
Legs

>Always been curious about that type of stuff t b h.
For me I always thought advanced gymnastics/calisthenics movements were cool. I figured learning theses advanced movements would... be something that would help me find out what kind of person I was. The rest of my exercises just fell into place around the Planche and One arm Chin up

Zercher deadlifts are phenomenal for sport specific training. If you're going to need to be strong in a position of spinal flexion in your sport (ie wrestling, football, etc) you better make sure you're training in spinal flexion to get strong like that. Eric Bugenhagen swears by it for wrestlers, and he was an elite-level wrestler in his prime

I get how it could be effective but that doesn't mean it's not an injury waiting to happen. But I guess injuries are inherent to wrestling so that I see how they wouldn't care.

>Legs
you can't just have one lift for your entire legs brah

I do, weighted box jumping, jogging, running, hiking, and farmer's walks for leg conditioning as well.

I really don't need more than one main leg exercise my leg health.

I don't care to have particularly large legs or compete, so there isn't much of a reason to.

most people have undertrained hamstrings, and that's not a problem if your quads are untrained as well, but neglecting them in altogether in a training program is liable to make you injured

Hex bar deadlifts would undertrain neither.

yeah, I wasn't being very clear. What I was trying to say is, you can't just pick any heavy movement from the "leg" category and hope it'll take care of you entire legs. like front squats for instance wouldn't. you probably know that though.

>the uh MOM SORRY I DIDNT WANT TO BREAK THE WALL

I actually only did deadlifts for training once and thought my legs were much more aesthetic than just squats or squats and deadlifts.

I don't care much for quads because mine are big enough from my job and daily activities.

I think most people wouldn't miss out if they worked quads a bit less

I hear you. I have a tendency to put on quads like crazy (they are 27" after 6 month LP). I don't like it, they look way too big, also my squat is weak as fuck but they still grow.
I'm pretty sure they'd grow enough from pulls only (I pull sumo, albeit with a close stance)
I'm thinking of going full bugenhagen and using only one "big" lift but I'm too weak to justify my choices.

just do 3x3 back squats twice a week

honestly I fucking hate squatting and I'd be much happier if I could avoid it altogether. It's probably proportions, but the movement just feels terrible and doesn't come very naturally.

I know what I need to do these for my sport

>"what muscle does that work?"

After thinking about it for a bit I wonder yes my pool style and body shape naturally have me use my quads a little bit more than you should in deadlifts.

I've put on quad size just from deadlifts before and I was only doing conventional at the time

Honestly I think all pulls from the floor with a non-rounded back require some degree of knee extension.
But if you want quads I guess you can do THE REVERSE DEADLIFT™

That look of concentration in his face.
I guess one handed barbell anal shoves are harder than I thought.

kek it really does look like that doesn't it.

What muscle does that work?

>(btn press, upright rows are two good examples)
these are "bad" because there is a high risk of impingement injury when there are alternatives.
not "bad" as in it doesn't build muscle

I don't care if he can throw his javelin to the god damned moon, that lift is still asking for trouble.It's just combining leg work with ab work for no reason

Assuming that's proper form, expect posterior vetebral hernias

Eric is a goddamn national treasure at this point

Do higher weight less reps

I'm closing in on lmao4plate and I still fit in slim fit jeans since I never do more than 3 reps, usually 1-2 maxing out every workout after warmup sets.

IT was my first thought when I saw the image.

>talks about reverse deadlifts
>shows picture of a sissy squat
who actually made this picture?

yeah it's pretty much a sissy squat but the touching the floor part is what makes it a bad idea. Hyperextending the back is kinda dangerous.
Also hip flexors is the one muscle most people would be much better off not working.
>there is a high risk of impingement injury
depends on people. I've been btn pressing with different grips for 2 years, I can get as low as I want. I don't feel any strain, I've never injured myself or even felt the slightest pain. It doesn't feel dangerous at all to me.

do you happen to know what the fuck is up with the WWE stuff? like is he going to be an actual "wrestler", doing staged fights and playing out scenarios?

those plates are clearly fake

Why the fuck did I watch that entire gif

A zercher deadlift mimics the same movement patterns as a strongman picking up an atlas stone. The dangerous part of a rounded back in a deadlift is when the spine itself moves. If it's held in a static position and doesn't move at all throughout the lift, there's no issue, no matter how rounded. If you start with a rounded back and finish with a rounded back while bracing (ie no spinal movement at all), you're fine.

same here. enthralling story

>not knowing who frog is
it's still more vulnerable to shear forces than if it were straight/arched

I really think unconventional lifting is a good thing, and it's happening but fuck if I can find one single use for this lift.