runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
youtube.com/watch?v=e7m205ZIxBE

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Reebok-Mens-DMX-Trail-Running/dp/B010W3BP62
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>yesterday ran 10km in 54 minutes, new record
Wasn't even able to run 5km 6 months ago so pretty happy here

Just got back from my Friday long run. 14 miles. Easy pace.

Boshed a bagel prior to going out. That shit hit my system about half way through the run. Nice second half. First one I was weeping due to lack of energy and day on my feet at work.

Gotta stretch but food first.
>blog.jpg

>tfw

I absolutely love long distance running. One of the best feelings once you're past the 1km mark and have a nice rhythm going

BUT

I had a meniscectomy done when I was a teen (28 now). Basically, I dont have a lateral meniscus in my right knee

What can I do to run without my knees falling apart?

You probably were, just at a meme-tier speed.

Yeah, I hate reading stuff like " omg I can't run x-kilometer"

nigga just slow down and you can probably run 30 km untrained.

Hey do any of you fags do ultramarathons?

..no? Sorry I thought you were real runners and not faggots

*leaves*

yeah you better run!

what kind of training watches are you guys sporting? Thinken of upgrading my Forerunner 210 because the buttons are starting to fail one by one.

>tfw shitty app on my shitt phone

yep.
old phone
old music player
pockets full of shit fucking need nice strap it to you running gear

Spark 3
Really love it, it's great

What feature does it make worth the price in your opinion? Because the price is a little to steep for my budget.

I quit smoking a couple months ago and took up running in the past few weeks. This is my first week doing more than three days and I've started to run over a mile before doing walk break/run the rest of the way back.

I have been "feeling" my achilles since yesterday, was worried I may have injured myself, even with the low mileage, I haven't run since high school. It doesn't hurt to touch or stretch but I'm worried I may be on the way to injuring it. Anyone have any advice for testing this? I looked up some information and got a lot of different results about things to do to see if its injured, and none of the exercises hurt but there is slight discomfort at times coming from the back of my heel.

Maybe I'm just kind of imagining it and its regular sore from running most days. I've been watching lots of stuff about training on youtube and thanks to all the constant talk of injury I think I'm very anxious about it.

Any advice?

I don't know why I hate ultra runners so much. Normally I'm a "live and let live" kinda guy, but for the love of god I hate to read, hear, or see the ultra folks yapping about their 150 mile "race".

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but some where around the marathon distance it ceases to be a real footrace and devolves into a mear test of survival.

maybe it's because the people have lost the intent of running fast, maybe it's because it attracts weirdo's and hippy types, maybe it's because it's people taking the act of running to the extream rather than working on getting faster...

stretch that shit out son

It's just the bragging you hate.

Same with all purely fitness memes, like Crossfit and Spartan Race and shit, they take dedication but almost no skill, and so a lot of people are convinced that what they do is impressive somehow.

Running 100+ miles is impressive. But never beyond the "alright, you run a lot, we get it" level.

>tfw 1 month progress

>thanks to all the constant talk of injury I think I'm very anxious about it

Injuries are the single biggest topic in running discussion. 95% of people who've ever run more than five miles have strained an LCL, bruised a hamstring, lost a toenail, tortioned their testicles or twisted an ankle.

Remember that you can't run as far or as often as you think you can. Running is a workout, and if you overdo it, you will snap your shit up. Take it slow and just enjoy the method for the first six months at least.

Link to proper stretch for achilles? I stretch my calves after every run.

I understand, but hearing the word injury in basically every running video is giving me anxiety.

Anyway, you guys don't think I actually have tendinitis do you? Is there a good way to tell if you are close to injuring a tendon/joint? I want to run again today but I don't want to "overdo it."

I only run a mile and then run/walk back. Last night was the first time running the entire 2 miles. Goal is run 5k, then run it faster.

I guess really my question here is this. Is it normal to feel some tightness/discomfort in the achilles after doing lots of running? Is it ok to continue running when experiencing this?

To clarify further, I'm not experiencing this during a run, or like post run. It's a next day kind of thing.

In your first few months of running, you're going to have tightness and discomfort in a lot of places. Ice it a couple times a day after running and immediately stop if it ever goes past a mild discomfort. Do you have a distinctive stride when you walk? It's possible you just underuse that tendon in daily life, so a sudden burst of activity is going to throw it off.

Also this is the baseline achilles tendon stretch. Drop your heels slowly off a stair, then rock your pelvis back and forth until you find the best leg tension.

what if i have no stairs

Thanks, guys.

can run 1.3km then I need few min break and then 800m more ._.

>tfw muscle-pain around here after running uphill yesterday

What does it all mean.

Take some rest if it's sore, you won't loose anything if you don't run for 2 days. If it gets better and doesn't start to hurt when you run again, then it's not a problem. The thing with achilles is that it can even look and feel perfectly well (no pain, no discomfort ever) but then it just ruptures when you do something wrong, so you never know.
One of my professors is doctor in a soccer club that plays in champions league and he was talking to us about that. He said that they take photos of every players achilles once a year iirc (something similar to mri or ultrasound, but more advanced and specific for achilles) just to see if there are any microtears. They also do it for other athletes in the city. And a lot of them have microtears, but with 0 problems. They then have to do exercises and stuff for it to heal and that usually prevents the rupture. But every few months they have someone with a lot of microtears (also 0 problems) that doesn't take them seriously and then comes back with a rupture few months later. But as I said, you can have a lot of microtears and you can be 1 day from it rupturing, but you won't feel anything wrong.
Take it easy, don't do too much too early, stretch after runs and you should be fine.

>tfw first post-run day with any knee pain whatsoever

It's happening lads.

without*

Recently I've noticed my shins have stopped hurting

feels GOOD Man

i had that shit for two months and i was unable to walk properly, the pain comes and goes. How i kill the pain? just pop Arcoxia or what ever you americans have as a strong pain relief and rest.

Its a ligament, doctor would tell you to rest, pop pills and maybe therapy that does shit nothing.

>TL,DR, pop strong pills, rest, gone in a week or two

>pull MCL
>spend two months in PT, doing a bunch of stretches I could probably do on my own, but insurance covers it so whatever
>therapist says I should be good to run again
>knee feels fine

>quad strength is imbalanced because I spent two months training one leg and neglecting the other

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

I want to run 2.4k in around 9 minutes. This is a 9mph pace give or take.

What I've been doing is running every day and adding 30 seconds on my run each time

For example I started at 4 minutes
Next day did 4:30 mins
Next day did 5 minutes

I only have 4 minutes left to go, which is only a week and 1 day of running

Explain to me why this won't work because I know I'm retarded and I know this won't work but I don't understand the science behind it

Put my music on it, can track pretty much anything, comes with a native app but syncs to runkeeper etc as well, you can visually see the route you're running on the watch, track steps and heartrare etc

And its pretty durable and you can wear it irl as well

>2.4k
Thats weirdly specific user

Because unless you are actually running at the pace required you won't be able to hit the distance you want.

You want to train your running pace and then practice being able to sustain that.

Are you running at 9mph for those 4 minutes, then 4min30sec, then 5 mins etc etc?

Also, significant running progress takes a lot of time and dedicated training to progress well. The body needs rest and appropriate recovery time to actually improve.

Gay army stuff

Sorry I forgot to mention this is on the treadmill and so is the test.
So yeah, I am running 9mph from the get go until the end of the run.

I have been running 6 months already but thought this might be a cool cheat or something

I did 2.4k in 11 mins but now I want it in 9:30

Not him, but It's a variation of Coopers test. Since 2.4 km in 12 minutes is considered as ok in this test, I have seen it done in 2 variations - either run as far as possible in 12 minutes or run 2.4 km as fast as possible. I like the second version more, which is also the one he is doing.

Belgium?

>america has things like this

;

What to wear to run comfortably in winter? -10-20 ℃ expected

kickboard and running sprints in the shallow section of the pool.

I too have shitty knees. medium weighted leg extensions (the machine) and up to bodyweight squats made my quadriceps and hammies take the impact easier than my knees

The first two links under "training plans" are dead FYI

>tfw best 2.4km time is 12:00

Gotta keep running...

Run faster!!!

According to the watch I wear, I run at about a 7 minute pace for the first quarter of the run, slow to around 8:30 for a while, and then near the end am at about 7:40. Trying to stop that mid run slowdown. I only run 2.4km since I need to for my military obligation, but I'm guessing I'd probably get better at 2.4km if I started doing longer runs.

By those times I mean my minutes per mile. I need to change the setting off imperial since I'm not in the US

Just getting into running, moving onto Day 3 of week 2. How to I stretch the two big chunks of muscle behind my calf? The ones that look like bricks if you're really fuckin toned. Also, any way to stretch the muscle on the front that rests just off to the side of your bone? Or do I need a roller? Brb post run shit

British army or US? Bong here, found that the best thing to do was a routine like this:

Monday: 800m repeats
Tuesday: calisthenics
Wednesday: 1.5 mile run best effort
Thursday: calisthenics
Friday: 5k best effort
Saturday: 2-4 mile slow easy jog, calisthenics
Sunday: rest

Eventually you can get to the point of being able to run and do calisthenics every day, but build up slowly. Make sure to keep dedicated and keep pushing yourself. My run time went from 10:36 at the start of the year to about 8:22 now just by using that program and making sure I thrashed myself every time.

With the repeats, find a straight course or road that is half a mile long, and pick a time to beat, i.e if you want to do 1.5 miles in 9 minutes thats 3 minutes per half mile, so thats what you aim for. At first just work on getting down to that time, taking as much rest as you need in between repeats. Then, once you can hit that goal, work on maintaining that for 2 lengths instead of 1 until you can make that standard; then 3 lengths. Itll take a couple months but it works. My current half mile time is 2:05 and fastest mile is 5:40 so ive got work to do but its all part of the progression.

> How to I stretch the two big chunks of muscle behind my calfs?
That would be your calfs. One foot on front of the other, front foots toes pointed up, lean down and touch the front foots toes. Hold for 20+ seconds, repeat with opposite leg.

> Also, any way to stretch the muscle on the front that rests just off to the side of your bone?
I assume its giving you pain? Thats just shinsplints, dont run too far or too quick too soon, build up slowly. Dont do 10 miles one week and then jump to 30 miles the next week, thats how you get fucked up. Ice, rest, proper shoes, good form etc etc

Singapore Army so I'm basically in conscription mode but thanks I'll try this out

Are you in the army already? What you going for bud?

I applied for RAF but failed to meet the eye sight requirements and now I'm trying one last time to appeal before biting the bullet and going into the army lol

Ah fair enough, good luck mate, make the most of it.

Got it, thanks. When you say dont run too quick too soon do you mean that as in not taking a rest day or do you mean dont sprint every single time, because thats what Im doing for c25k.

Yeah im already in lad, 18 Sigs, not a desk jockey so im happy. Just make sure you dont settle, and you know what youre getting into; the romance disappears real quick in phase 1, but overall its good stuff and great banter. Its a bummer about your eyesight, I would have said go AAC, you could still be an air wing technician/ground crew which would still give you a lot of skills. Also, if at all possible, go in as an officer. Unless you actively seek the infantry groundpounder stuff, officer route is better. Do bear in mind that squaddies do stuff, officers just tell them how and when and sort out the paperwork; its a lot more an admin and management role than it is getting your hands dirty.

As in, if youre doing 5ks now, dont suddenly go out next week and run 15k. Maximum distance you can safely add per week is 15% (so if youre doing 10 miles a week, the safe increase for the next week would be 11.5 miles in that week). I made the mistake of going from a couple 5ks a week to cross country 5 milers and sprints a week too soon and fucked myself up pretty bad and just made running suck for me, the last thing you want is an injury or for something physical/mental stopping you wanting to go out and run.

Gotcha. Right I am definitely sticking to the program. Appreciate your input ten fold. Hope youre doing good now though.

God yeah, it's been 8 months since I first decided I was sure of joining and I'm 6 months into the application process, let me say the romance is already gone lol.

I would have loved to have gone in as an officer but perhaps I was a little too eager because I left sixth form recently, and I only completed the first year, so I'm a bit of a choosing begger.

The eyesight thing came at a complete surprise to me, its just my left eye and I'm hoping to appeal it cause all he did to test it was make me read 4 letters off the wall and I muddled up an c with an O and a H with an N.

My AFCO has completely gone quiet with me after I failed, not returning any emails or owt, so I guess I'll just put in my appeal and worse case scenario look into what you said with AAC, see if I'm eligible or not.

What's your thoughts on Paras and Armourers in the Army if you don't mind me asking?
They are the trades that appeared kinda interesting to me.

Yeah just stick with it mate, sounds like your making good progress. If you do up the training, make sure to give yourself proper rest days. Yeah that was months ago, but now im just struggling with overtraining; Ill go for a run or repeats, feel fine the next day, go for a run only to have my legs start burning after a couple miles, so im having a few rest days otherwise itll just compound. All the best lad

Yeah the NRC are absolutely shit it has to be said, you have to keep hounding them. The medical appeal process is a bitch as well but worth doing; in the eye test they do at assessment I wasnt going to be allowed to join but I had included a copy of my prescription which proved otherwise so the appeal was quite simple. If you can get proper medical documents that counter them youre fine, the test they do at assessment is a rush job. Definitely appeal if you can.

> what do you think of Paras and Armourers
Paras are top lads, some are a bit cocky but that goes with the territory, theyve earned it. Generally all round good blokes and fit as fuck. A lot end up with knee and back injuries later on but that can be said for anyone whose had to run with a bergen on, which is every tab youll ever do basically.
Armourers are a mixed bunch, depends where you get stationed. The armourers at Pirbright look like they hate their lives, but then again it depends, if you got stationed at a decent infantry reg with some nice toys it could be quite enjoyable. You wouldnt have access to some armoury full of a thousand different weapons systems but depending on your level youll get to work on rifles, gimpys and the like. It would be same shit day in day out but if you love guns and the mechanics behind it it would probably be fun.

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

I appreciate the advice a lot man, there's so god damn much to consider and I hope I end up making the right choice.
I just wanna do my time, leave after 8-12 years and have some skills to land me good work, a good wife and a nice pupper and I'll be a happy man

Best of luck to you, have a good night.

No worries mate, just make sure you dont settle, dont get swung by whats apparently more manly or ballsy or whatever, do what will make you happy (spoiler: least miserable).

Best of luck to you lad

Just finished week 7, day 1 of C25K. As a fatass I never thought I could run for 25 minutes uninterrupted.

day off resting. And you?

Second day off after finally breaking 35 miles a week last week. Quads are still screaming. Feels good.

Calisthenics today

Sup guys.
Training for a 13. miles in 5 weeks. Today my long run took me running 14 miles. Should I keep increasing the distance in the 3 or 4 next long runs I have, or back off a bit?
Thanks!

Just did a 10km, 50min30secs. Very happy considering my last one was 55min, can't wait to get it into the 40s, will make that 20min 5km come that much sooner.

>taking rest days

its like u dont want to be #1 on the strava leaderboards

Decided to do one a while back as a form of overdistance training for a marathon prior to me learning to pace properly and to learn to start enjoying trails. After my marathon this upcoming November, one of my plans is doing ultras in 2018 as my goal and hoping to do at minimum a 100k by the end of next year. Hopefully, I'll be good enough to do an entire 100 miler. If I don't do the ultras, then I'm transitioning to triathlons.

>not having a thigh gap due to fat
>"""""""healthy""""""""
HAES is so funny.

Do the same distance for another 2-3 weeks.

Final taper long, slow run of 8 miles. Got a marathon next weekend. Just waiting for breakfast to start digesting.

>PLS STOP DOING WHAT YOU LIKE DOING!!!!
Just face it, this is you. You don't understand that some people enjoy going longer and focusing on the mental aspect instead of physical.

sup SAFfag

Same here. Hoping for a 3h30, but I'm recovering from a small injury so maybe I'll have to change that goal

>want to run first marathon
> decide to run first marathon
> sign up for Sydney marathon that takes place tomorrow
> train like a maniac for 6 months
> yesterday: on my way to airport receive text from tigerair
> ALL FLIGHTS TO SYDNEY CANCELLED DUE TO WIND
> NO REFUNDS
FUCK. MY. LIFE.

ADF?

Ok, thanks!

How much does /run/ weigh?

>6'2
>210

this looks like a place I went to in Ireland, but those seem like burger mountains. Where is it?
Also running is for faggots. Enjoy low test, fatties.

>6'
>just cut down to 165, bulk season when

6'0"
135lbs

Running my first 30k race this weekend, and I just recently bought these shoes. I really recommend them, I had never heard about ON before but apparently they make really great lightweight shoes

shin splits or something, mad pain on the inside of my leg sort of under/at the bone.
tried running it away wednesday but my legs got super fatigued like 2 minutes into the run plus i had that pain but I persevered 4km of that hell... had to stop several times during the run because the fatigue and pain got too severe.

tried it again yesterday but only got 100m or so, pain got so strong.

I ran 3km in 11.55 on a track.
Be honest with me, is this absolutely shit?

TLDR: Which time should I aim for @ 3000 meters

Fuck you this isn't Facebook

>183cm
>74kg

Anons, I'll get a shoe. Will use it for running 2-3 times a week and also daily usage. I'm a poorfag and getting 2 different shoes isn't an option.

~70$ is the sweet spot for me.

amazon.com/Reebok-Mens-DMX-Trail-Running/dp/B010W3BP62

Is this good? Heard it's comfortable etc.

>Fuck you this isn't Facebook

Thanks

>167cm
>50.8kg

5'10
145lbs I think, haven't checked in a while

Saucony Cohesions + Asic Venture

Two great, cheapo shoe brands that will cost you ~$90. Their only downfall is that they'll be good for about 300-400 miles. But if you alternate them, they'll last even longer due to less wear.

6'0 206

how did i do /run/?

whoops forgot pic

Seems passable. Probably aim for a sub 10