I just joined the gym yesterday. 20 bucks a month...

I just joined the gym yesterday. 20 bucks a month. After going through a bunch of stuff online and people telling me the only way to actually get better is to use a gym I finally gave in and signed up whether or not it was a good idea money wise

Now the thing is, I'm kinda scared. I haven't actually gone to it yet to do anything, but what the fuck do I do when I get in there? I don't know how to use any of the equipment there. Would people give a shit about me at all? What do I do?

Other urls found in this thread:

diogn.es/u/156
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Easy. Go in, stretch your sorry excuses for a leg and hop on a treadmil. Walk @ 3.5 mph and low key observe what everyone else is doing. Your fears will leave eventually.

You need a routine and you need to stick to it.

What are your goals? If you are skinny then you need to bulk up and diet isn't as important so long as you KNOW you are getting enough protein/carbs/fats

If you want to lose weight then a diet is essential.

1. Read the sticky

>Would people give a shit about me at all?
2. I guarantee you no one at the gym gives a flying fuck about you.

country?

alright well i'm trying to build muscle right now. i did a body evaluation with the guy, and he told me my body fat percentage was at 17% and my BMI was 25, but he also said this whole thing was kinda inaccurate because it was just something you hold in your hands.

i asked him about my loose skin and showed him a bit and he said yeah its a little bit but if i put on muscle it should fill out and yadda yadda. so i guess what i want to do is, kinda have a body like the one in my OP. i want to lose the rest of my fat, and put on muscle at the same time

>so i guess what i want to do is, kinda have a body like the one in my OP
You should know
1. Since you aren't posting any current pics, I guess it would prob a year for you to look like OP.
2. OP is very low body fat so you need to watch your diet as well.

USA

i've been running like every day but i guess thats a good way to see how people do things

bump

bump

alright but i dont know what half of those even mean or what machines do them. am i just supposed to know?

and do i have to bring a paper with me? how do people remember what they do all the time?

Read the sticky, dude.

since you have no clue what you're doing, start with stronglifts or starting strength

every other retard on this board will argue with me here and call me a troll and push a program that is 100x better, but when you're a beginner and you literally know NOTHING the simplicity of sl or ss is what will get you started

try out stronglifts or ss for a month or two or until you're comfortable with the main lifts, then you can move on to PPL or another strength program some manchild made

op body fat is at the most 9% you need to fix your diet and cut u fuck

okay i just called somebody and he gave me a full workout on what to do when i start monday. this is what he gave me (im copy and pasting this)

he wants me to run a full mile on the treadmill and give him the time. then stretch for 5 minutes and hang on a pull up bar. then flat dumbell presses on a bench 20 rep warm up and then 4 sets of 15-20 reps. then tricep cable pull down 20 rep warm up and 4 sets of 15-20 reps than incline bench 20 rep warm up 12-15 reps 4 sets than tricep dip machine 20 rep warm up with 4 sets of 15-20 rep. than cable flys 20 rep warm up and 4 sets of 12 - 15 rep then dumbell tricep extensions 4 sets of 15. then 5 sets of push ups 10 reps THEN 5-10 minute elliptical or stair master cool down...
and i have to add 5Ibs every set to every exercises

and he wants me to go 5 days a week. but i cant do 5 days cause im limited to rides so 3 days is good right?

bump

Google stronglifts 5x5, get the app for your phone (it's free), do the exercises it tells you how to do (there are videos with form instruction in the app)

3days a week, easy noob gains

FUCKING BUMP

I suggest a full body workout 3 times a week while you are beginning. A nice simple routine that covers all the major lifts is;

(AxBxAxx, BxAxBxx) repeating.

A
Squat 4x8
Barbell Overhead Press 4x8
Pull Up (or Lat Pull Down) 4x8
Barbell Flat Bench Press 4x8
Dumbbell Bent Over Row 4x8

B
Deadlift 1x8
Barbell Overhead Press 4x8
Pull Up (or Lat Pull Down) 4x8
Barbell Flat Bench Press 4x8
Dumbbell Bent Over Row 4x8

If you don't know how to do any of these exercises, watch some youtube videos explaining how.

If you have never lifted weights before start each exercise from from an empty bar and add weight to it when you complete that exercise without any failure. If you have been lifting for a while but now want to use a organised program then start using 80% of you current weight. When using a barbell add 2.5kg to it every workout. When using a dumbbell add 1kg to it every workout. If using non adjustable gym equipment then just move to the next level of weight instead.
When you cannot add weight any more (when you stall) stop doing this routine and find something a bit harder.

Keep a record of your routine. If necessary write it all down in a notebook and bring it to the gym with you.

No that's likely too much volume for a novice. Unless you already know how to do that shit with decent form and want to start training like a bodybuilder right out of the gate (this is fine if that guy is personally going to train you, and he knows what he's doing)

I'd honestly do stronglifts due to it's simplicity and ability to make you stronger really quick.

i feel like a paper would be better than putting all the shit on my phone. also whats your opinion on this he said he was gonna be my online trainer. i knew the guy in real life but hes far away now. i told him isn't this a little too much and hes telling me you want to build muscle right? you want to look good right? and im like yeah so i guess i got no other choice its not like anyone else is really helping me out and i dont come here to fit everyday nobody is gonna help me here like that

I like PPL but I think a full body routine is better for a beginner. A beginner routine doesn't really develop much strength. You see a lot of progression on how much weight you add to the bar but all you are doing is finding what level of strength you already have and learning how to do the core lifts correctly. A full body routine focusing on only the core lifts does this better than anything else.

It would just suck because nobody will be able to show you if your form is awful. That's how a lot of people get hurt especially on high volume routines like that.

Like I said if you get the stronglifts app, there are videos there showing you how to do the lifts. And you can enter your workout information into the app and it will tell you how much to put on the bar next workout, how much to deload when you fail etc., but up to you homie.

he told me to just watch videos on every single thing. ill try out the app too

Writing it on paper is good. The important thing is keeping a record and lifting heavier each session.

I think the routine given to you by your buddy is not great for a beginner because it doesn't focus enough on the core exercises (which I feel are Deadlift , Squat , Overhead Press, Pull Up, Bench Press and Row.)
On the other hand exercise isn't that complicated. Lift heavy shit and put it down, lift heavier shit the next time you do it. An OK routine that you do today is better than a great routine you might do tomorrow. Get started as soon as you can and then improve as you go along.

I don't like recommending Stronglifts. I think the volume is slightly too low even for a beginner. I think it focuses too much on squats and it doesn't have enough pulling exercises. I also think it encourages people to de-load way too much, it is much better for a beginner to use periodization to increase their lifts when they begin to stall.

barely got any muscle growth in chest from flat bench. incline bench or bust

You could be a complete bumbling idiot and no one would really notice or care.

he wants me to add about 5Ibs every set (not including the warm up reps). and i dont know he said thats what he wants me to do monday. he said he will give me different exercises the next days too.

and what if i cant do it? i have tried doing dumbell exercises at home, slowly, 3 sets with 12 reps, and i couldn't finish with good form on the last few. my arm literally could not go all the way up. they were like flat dumbell presses except standing and upwards

I don't think adding 5Ibs every set is reasonable. I suggest following the program I posted here and adding 5lbs every workout instead.
If you don't want to take a program from a user rando then the Veeky Forums recommended beginner programs are 'Starting Strength' or 'Stronglifts' which you can find on google. Good luck!

alright thanks. but why did he say that then? he says he teaches this kind of stuff. i really dont understand like who should i follow or should i just follow his routine and just ignore the adding 5Ib every set shit. is he trying to make me look stupid?

The program he suggested would turn you into a weak twink. He probably wants to fuck you.

are you sure? he also has a girlfriend and is very solid

Do research on the goals you want to acheive, write down the split and days you are working out to acheive your goal and then research the exercises pertaining to the day you are doing, if you are still uncertain, hire an instructor to teach you how.

Fear of gym people can be mitigated by staring really hard at your equiptment qhile you work out and concentrating on form.
Good luck you fucking nigger

here can you just tell me your opinion on this

bump

bump

What the fuck do you want you bumbling retard. People have already spoonfed you, do you have any specific question?

Try a simple routine like this one

diogn.es/u/156

dont forget to tip the guy in the mens room

i actually don't know. just more info whatever lol.

Ok, im guessing you are wanting to be:
>not too big, just lean and toned

Here is what you are going to do:
Day 1 chest and biceps
Day 2 back
Day 3 run
Day 4 legs
Day 5 shoulders and triceps
Day 6 & 7 rest

If you are fat, gradually eat less with each meal until you are holding a weight you like and then up the weights until you are about to fuck yourself up then alowly add more food to your diet

If you are skinny, add another meal to your day

Change your body weight slowly to keep your gains and adhere to the fucking program

YOU WILL NOT SEE INSTANT CHANGES
THE HARD PART IS KEEPING IT CONSTANT FOR MORE THAN A MONTH
JUST FUCKING DO IT