Is lifting weights a mental game?

Is lifting weights a mental game?

If you had to deadlift a barbell but weren't told how much weight was put on it, do you think you could lift it beyond your strength capabilities?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/flQZcosp2-k?t=50
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1769/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No man, that's fucking retarded

Maybe by a pound or two, but probably not. That would make a great research paper though.

No

>i think i can, i think i can, i think i can, i think i can, i think i can

Real life isn't a Hero's Journey where the protagonist (you) finds the strength within himself to overcome the seemingly impossible against all odds!

grow grow grow would make one too

Really depends on how much weight difference is. Part of hitting a new PR is the mental battle.

If you are a mother and they would put your baby's legs under barbell, could you lift more than your current personal record?
And what about mother that has her kid put on her chest while she is benching, is that kid the best spotter suddenly?

Everyone including Arnie says you have to shock and surprise your muscles, wouldn't it be best to have all plates in gym being the same size but different weight without any notes on them, so you would surprise also your brain first and provide the 100% authentic shock to your muscles?

There seems to be a mental component to lifting, or at least something to do with the nervous system in general, or powerlifters wouldn't need to psyche themselves up.
Also it is possible to expend more effort than your muscles are used to, but your body will be damaged by that, so your nervous system usually stops you from doing that. When it can't stop you, you lift until you tear something.
That said, I don't think that simply not knowing consciously what you're lifting would be of any help.

Wouldn't be the best powerlifter the total retard who doesn't understands he is in olympic finals and his brain would never block him in any way, so he would just want to lift that heavy barbell as usually because that's what big boys can do? Also he wouldn't understand the numbers at all and couldn't expect literally anything out of next lift.

Which also makes you think if Heracles was really super strong and brave or just dumber than other guys, and also having some retard-luck

I thought this was already a bit of a cliche. Possibly also where the expression 'retard strength' comes from.
youtu.be/flQZcosp2-k?t=50

That would be a pretty fun gym. Get swole or get crushed trying.

>mfw when his voice and speech patterns are eerily similar to Genoy's

thats how my dad got his 300 lb shirt in high school, i think he was stalling at 280 or something and they just put weights on when he was under the bar or something and he had no idea how much was there, he went to lift it and they were encouraging him and he lifted it. got his 300 lb shirt.

Why would anyone want a 300lb shirt? That would be impossible to walk around in?

wasn't he that guy who got stuck under barbell then and everyone sat with bare ass on his face?

they got a t shirt everytime they hit a 100lb benchmark on their benchpress.

Don't feel like clicking but look up "hysterical strength", it's a real documented phenomenon. Things like untrained people lifting up the side of a car to save their child or whatever

Wooooooooosh

>Is lifting weights a mental game?
>
>If you had to deadlift a barbell but weren't told how much weight was put on it, do you think you could lift it beyond your strength capabilities?

You can lift more if you didn't know user, it's called muscle confusion.

>this reference
haha

>all these examples of "lifting cars"
>basically just deadlifting a corner of it a few inches

Is it really that difficult?

I'm laughing imagining all the DYELs snapping their necks trying to bench

kek

yes and no

try this for once, blast through warmup sets but dont think about how much weight you have, if you put enough plates on you will lose count

whenever i take too much time warming up on lower weight i fuckup high intensity lifts.

Lifting is HUGE mental game, its literally more about your nervous system than muscle strength, especially when you approach your true one rep maxes

Yes, it is. Your mind always bitches out before your body. If the weight is unknown, you'll be less apt to psyche yourself out during the lift

Imagine being such a loser that the best story you can come up with to inspire your kid is about some barely above average bench pressing in high school hahahahah

300 lb in highschool is pretty good

Hysterical strength is not real, and it's not documented. It's the same bullshit every time.

>a tree falls on a guy's arm and he's trapped
>he is able brace his back against the tree and push with his legs against a tree/rock and roll the tree slightly to the side
>the media reports it as "MAN LIFTS 1,500 KG LOG TO FREE HIMSELF!!!"
>normies interpret it as him bench pressing a tree with his one free arm

Every single example of hysterical ever """"documented"""" is like this. No video evidence of anything extraordinary happening. Just poor retellings of strength feats that could easily be done under normal circumstances.

The average person is capable of recruiting like 95-98% of their muscle fibers at a given time anyhow. You do not have a huge strength potential that your brain has locked away to keep you from hurting yourself. It's a fucking myth, on par with "you only use 10% of your brain".

>You do not have a huge strength potential that your brain has locked away to keep you from hurting yourself.
I agree with that, especially in the way you phrased it. However, there might be subtle exceptions. Isn't pain a nervous signalling that tells us to stop doing what we're doing? And in people with congenital insensitivity to pain they found constant bone fractures and joint dislocations. Interestingly, the majority of people affected by this are also mentally impaired.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1769/
Another example I can think of would be people on PCP. It has an anesthetic effect, so pain is reduced significantly, but it also comes with feelings of dissociation, invulnerability and aggression. I'm not too sure of this example, as all I have is anecdotal accounts from policemen saying how it's difficult to physically handle these people, no matter how scrawny they are.

I know, it's not exactly the hysterical strength that people talk about, but it shows that in the right conditions, people can push themselves past the pain up to the point of self injury.