Butter

Do you use butter for frying/spreading?

I've used it all my life but I'm scared of trans fat now.

Other urls found in this thread:

heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Trans-Fats_UCM_301120_Article.jsp#.WcAi8XV9nRY
healthyforgood.heart.org/eat-smart/articles/saturated-fats
heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp?appName=MobileApp
ajcn.nutrition.org/content/102/6/1339.full
sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170829091027.htm
authoritynutrition.com/it-aint-the-fat-people/
authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/
authoritynutrition.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/
chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy/
uib.no/en/node/103172
healthline.com/nutrition/5-studies-on-saturated-fat
bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/03/31/bjsports-2016-097285
press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jcem.85.1.6291
suppversity.blogspot.de/2014/05/bcfa-gut-health-immunity-cancer.html
breakingmuscle.com/fuel/why-all-humans-need-to-eat-meat-for-health
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666307000542
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2017-08-30-results-of-global-fats-and-carbs-study-not-very-relevant-for-uk/
hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/
cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/big-fat-myths
nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hdw/causes
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>he fell for the trans fat meme

is it a mememe?

I use it to cook over-medium eggs. Thats about it. Don't worry as long as you are hitting your macros/caloric intake for the day

butter is good for fryin up some fish

I cook everything in butter. Only use the good stuff thou, there's a difference.

What good stuff?

no. that shit is really bad for you

The trans fats in butter are not the partial hydrogenated trans fats you should be avoiding, like those from processed vegetable fats.
A short faq from some heart health group:
heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/FatsAndOils/Fats101/Trans-Fats_UCM_301120_Article.jsp#.WcAi8XV9nRY
They say how there haven't been conclusive studies on whether the naturally occuring trans-fats are bad or not. So if you're really paranoid about this, I guess you could start avoiding the natural ones too.

Real butter doesn't have transfats. Fuck this gay earth. Mass genocide please.

that's not butter, retard.

Semi related, but is olive oil or vegetable oil better for cooking?

i've read that olive oil has a low "smoke point", where vegetable oil has a higher smoke point. to my understanding, this means that olive oil will start to taste like shit at lower temperatures, and the longer your cook it the shittier it will taste.

vegetable oil, on the other hand, can withstand the heat from the sun's corona.

>Trans fats

We are all scared of this degeneracy

Thanks for the info, but I meant from a health perspective. I should have clarified that.

Butter is high in saturated fats though, which are also bad

Butter trans fats are rumenic acid which is entirely different from hydrogenated vegetable oils, with current scientific knowledge we have no legitimate reason to avoid rumenic acid.

The calorie difference isn't big enough, it's a matter of preference imo. Don't use EVOO for cooking it's a finisher. I buy hand rolled butter made locally and use that for most of my stuff cooking. I figure it worked well enough for 1000s of years why change now?

olive oil is pretty universally praised as a superb oil full of polyunsaturated fats that can be found in very unrefined forms. vegetable oil is kind of a mutt of oils that is commonly highly processed and somewhat universally derided from a nutritional perspective.

they're both great sources of energy, but according to what i've read, heard, and seen, olive oil is the superior from a health standpoint. also coconut oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, and even sunflower seed oil.

>saturated fats are also bad
That's debatable. I've seen articles and studies that go both ways.

Olive oil is good because it is 75% monounsaturated, not because of it's lesser PUFA contents.

only artificial trans fats are bad. butter and natural fats in moderation are perfectly acceptable part of a healthy diet

thanks for correcting my lazy bullshit.

Clickbait articles and cherrypicked studies that I guarantee you didn't fully read.

healthyforgood.heart.org/eat-smart/articles/saturated-fats
heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp?appName=MobileApp

ajcn.nutrition.org/content/102/6/1339.full

holy fuck this shit is so annoying

just tell me what not to eat

Which vegetable oils should I avoid?

Alright, thanks guys

No, they aren't.
They're fine for you.
>Clickbait articles and cherrypicked studies that I guarantee you didn't fully read.
>This level of projection and claiming someone didn't do what you actually didn't; along with not researching at all
Butter and saturated fats are perfectly fine for you, anyone that tells you otherwise is feeding you pseudoscientific dietary memes and lying
>Contrary to popular belief, consuming a higher amount of fat (about 35 per cent of energy) is associated with a lower risk of death compared to lower intakes. However, a diet high in carbohydrates (of more than 60 per cent of energy) is related to higher mortality, although not with the risk of cardiovascular disease.
>The research on dietary fats found that they are not associated with major cardiovascular disease, but higher fat consumption was associated with lower mortality; this was seen for all major types of fats (saturated fats, polyunsaturated fats and mono unsaturated fats), with saturated fats being associated with lower stroke risk. The researchers point out that, while this may appear surprising to some, these new results are consistent with several observational studies and randomized controlled trials conducted in Western countries during the last two decades.
>The large new study, when viewed in the context of most previous studies, questions the conventional beliefs about dietary fats and clinical outcomes, says Mahshid Dehghan, the lead author for the study and an investigator at PHRI.
>sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170829091027.htm
>(cont.)

>(cont.)
>authoritynutrition.com/it-aint-the-fat-people/
>authoritynutrition.com/top-8-reasons-not-to-fear-saturated-fats/
>authoritynutrition.com/saturated-fat-good-or-bad/
>chriskresser.com/the-diet-heart-myth-cholesterol-and-saturated-fat-are-not-the-enemy/
>uib.no/en/node/103172
>healthline.com/nutrition/5-studies-on-saturated-fat
>bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2017/03/31/bjsports-2016-097285
>press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jcem.85.1.6291
>suppversity.blogspot.de/2014/05/bcfa-gut-health-immunity-cancer.html
>breakingmuscle.com/fuel/why-all-humans-need-to-eat-meat-for-health

Is specifically lurpak fine? I think there's plant oil in it

olive oil, avocado oils will do you much better

>LURPAK :DDDDDDDD

I weigh 135 lbs so ya.

never. i don't want to die of heart issues or do keto starvation bullshit.

what about the saturated fat and cholesterol?

all oil is unhealthy. it's not food. sorry.

you can eat every plant in as much quantities except coconut and palm oil.

animals aren't food. saturated fat and cholesterol is for carnivores. deal with it.

>Butter and saturated fats are perfectly fine for you
everyone knows this is wrong intuitively. and every other study says the opposite.

stop pushing this shit, you're endangering lives. this guy came here asking for nutrition advice, god damn. you're sick.

>This level of even further projection, pseudoscience and blatant not reading

Nobody on the history of the planet has died from eating too many "carbs"

...but heart disease and diabetes are our number 1 killers. that shit also is related to dementia and CANCERS.

You're incredibly irresponsible to spread this ridiculous garbage around. Just to justify your lazy ass diet.

Fuck you, honestly, piece of shit.

>all oil is unhealthy

What do I cook my chicken with then?

Chicken has it's own fat, which isn't healthy either. I didn't think people added oil when cooking meat. You can try to justify it in some way, but there's no benefit to eating oil.

You can saute in water. That's what I do and it's basically the same thing except you have to keep adding water to the pan.

>More shitposting and not reading
>Being this pseudoscientifically assblasted

I've seen the ridiculous study you're referring to.

They looked at a shitload of people and decided that rich people who ate shitty diets died less than poor people who ate shitty diets.

Great science. You're ignorant and in denial about your precious fatty food.

They declared "CARBS BAD FAT GOOD" without any causation or mechanism described.

They didn't even define what a fucking "carb" was. Are carbs carrots or cookies?

It's a meaningless study meant to spread confusion. And that's exactly what you've done by parroting it.

Carbs arn't inherently bad, they are just very reinforcing behaviorally.
sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666307000542

I don't feel like finding the translation research on humans for you. Behavioral research is way different that standard nutritional research because you can just fucking isolate the variables and rats and apes and even humans and test them under direct observational conditions.

Depending on where you live / shop brands will vary.
Kerrygold
Tillamook
Land O' Lakes (has GMOs thou)

More than anything, avoid all butter substitutes, blends and margarines.

The high fat meme is a lie, butter is good.

This isn't a rebuttal of anything I said. But you really gave the impression of a point there with that bullshit.

The smoke point is 415 f. There's nothing you should be doing with OO that goes above 375.

Butter is love. Butter is life

Can you explain this article to a layman like myself

lurpak is danish not finnish

sure m8.
Rats were trained under conditions of getting a low fat high sugar juice squirted directly into their stomach or in a group where they received a cocktail of more fatty juice squirted into their guts. They select either of these juices over just water. When fatty juice trained rats are exposed to a condition of having a choice between fatty and sugary juice, they show fairly even responding. Sugar juice trained rats when given a choice between fatty and sugary juice almost exclusively select sugary juice.

The solutions are injected directly into their stomachs because sometimes you want to remove oral taste buds from a conditioning assessment to avoid confounds.

that looks like margarine to me man. might as well eat plastic.

>what about the saturated fat and cholesterol?
>animals aren't food.
That as true as the statement that you aren't retarded
>Great science. You're ignorant and in denial about your precious fatty food.
You've reached levels of not reading and projection that shouldn't even be possible

I'm more scared of fat trans

If animals were human food, you wouldn't die from eating too many.

No reason to think isn't.
And if you in fact weren't retarded, you wouldn't believe more of that pseudoscientific garbage

>Butter and saturated fats are perfectly fine for you, anyone that tells you otherwise is feeding you pseudoscientific dietary memes and lying

And then you misrepresent a study via sciencedaily

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/behindtheheadlines/news/2017-08-30-results-of-global-fats-and-carbs-study-not-very-relevant-for-uk/

hsph.harvard.edu/news/press-releases/butter-is-not-back-limiting-saturated-fat-still-best-for-heart-health/

cspinet.org/eating-healthy/foods-avoid/big-fat-myths

>The solutions are injected directly into their stomachs because sometimes you want to remove oral taste buds from a conditioning assessment to avoid confounds.

And in doing so make the findings almost completely impractical and useless

>healthy diet

heart disease is caused largely by saturated fat and cholesterol, which is in all animal products.

heart disease is our #1 killer ya know, pretty big deal.

nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hdw/causes