Gonna deadlift tomorrow for the first time, any tips or things I should know?

Gonna deadlift tomorrow for the first time, any tips or things I should know?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=h44SIMOMdEI
youtube.com/watch?v=fFc2gL1vgKg
youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc
youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY
youtube.com/watch?v=QMuTRCllYp4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't, you will literally break your back in half.

Tuck your chin in. Fucked my neck up as a beginner not doing it.

You're stronger than you think so use a good amount of weights, remember to round your back and lift in a jerking twisting motion.

y/w

This

Also sling your head backwards to maximize momentum and bend your arms so you can use your biceps to help your back

Start your movement on tiptoes!

You guys just couldn't be serious for once...

Start with 3plate or else people will laugh at you

Don't bring your shin to the bar, your feet should be midway underneath the bar. When you grab the bar don't bend your knees yet, grab the bar evenly than bring your knees in not all the way just close enough chest up press down on your heel. Keep your arms straight and go mixed grip unless you're at 285 minimum....

Don't go mixed grip* unless you're at 285 minimum and even then I usually wait for 375 before I go mixed grip.

Double up on clips on both sides in case things go bad.

If it's hurting your shins you can put barbell pads on to help.

Dont deadlift w/o a spotter, ever

Rather use straps, there is a small chanse of a bicep tear if you do mixed

You gotta be really straining your tendon to get a bicep tear my dude. Cardinal rule, keep your arms straight use the same width on grip. But yeah, I'm actually getting used to my hook grip atm,

>use straps
T.virgin
Enjoy getting laughed out of the gym kid

tfw 245 and have to do mixed grip

Listen to these guys. They know their shit. Don't bother with your form. The key point is lifting the weight, period.
Watch and learn: youtube.com/watch?v=h44SIMOMdEI

Watch a couple of form videos first. Some pointers:
>set up with the bar exactly over the middle of your foot, so somewhere over the laces
>your shin will be touching the bar as you start the lift
>as you're about to lift, take a deep breath in, tense your core and engage your lats
>keep back angle the same until the bar is a decent way up your shin, when you begin to straighten depends on your proportions and leverages
>once the bar passes above your knee, squeeze your glutes hard, this will naturally lock out your hips and put you in the end position, DO NOT do what I see all the time and hyperextend your back (i.e. lean backwards) at the top of the lift, if your hips are locked out and you're upright the lift is finished
>the bar should be in contact with your body the whole way up, wear leggings or sweatpants or you'll get scrapes and bruises
>keep the core tight and the lower back arched naturally the whole time, no rounding and no hyperextension
>keep arms straight, imagine flexing your tricep a little if you need to
>neck angle stays neutral, imagine you have a ball tucked under your chin, face away from a mirror if it's possible
>start with a double overhand grip, learn to hook grip after a month or so, mixed grip is not good for your supinated arm
>don't drop the bar. ever
apologies for wall of text

>285 is the minimum acceptable weight for mixed grip because thats how much I can DOH
>375 is the minimum acceptable weight for mixed grip because thats how much I can DOH

oh just fuck off, there is no good reason to pull mixed grip. get stronger

Great advice. Here's a video of a personal trainer teaching squats which I recommend you try as well.

youtube.com/watch?v=fFc2gL1vgKg

there is no reason to let the development of your entire body be limited by using the least mechanically efficient grip, you DOH your warmup sets until you can't, then mixed, hook, or straps + dedicated grip training

anyone buying into this DOH-only bullshit is a pencil neck DYEL geek looking for special snowflake qualifiers by which their deadlift is less pathetic

>the bar should be in contact with your body the whole way up, wear leggings or sweatpants or you'll get scrapes and bruises
why

mechanical efficiency

If it's your first time, don't ego lift, just practice or you'll never do them again.

please dont shit yourself op

This is the best guide I've seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=wYREQkVtvEc

This is stupid af. Go kys faggot.

THANK YOU BACK-SNAP GIGANTOPITHICUS

R E T A R D A L E R T
R E T A R D A L E R T
R E T A R D A L E R T

you are supposed to look forward...... if u dont believe it watch how magnussen, shaw, etc etc diddle

youtube.com/watch?v=iQ5rY_beDLY

That's only partly true
Different bodies have different forms.
If you're the perfect proportional human, then the bar should pass as close to your insides as possible.
But if you have longer arms or shorter legs or whatever, then the perfect balance point may be a little in front of your legs.

Don't force the bar to rub your legs.
The best thing you can do as a starter is do a LOT of low weight reps until you can get your brain figured out on how things work.
Find out where your center of gravity is and how your hips and shoulders work with that

Don't jump into 2pl8 in the first month. I'm sure the average male could pull that. But it'll be dangerous because you don't know how your body works best yet

>your shin will be touching the bar as you start the lift

what a retarded thing to do

BUAHAHAHAHHAHA ye sure

Not him, but you should look "forwardish".
I fucked up my neck once because I looked too far up. Like I wanted to lead the left with my head.
Wrong idea.

Neutral doesn't mean down, but it doesn't mean up either

youtube.com/watch?v=QMuTRCllYp4

I'm not going to question this guy because he knows what he's doing, but why does it seem like the bar doesn't go high enough?

t.deadlifts 1pl8

>I'm not going to question
>but here's a literal question

THANK YOU BACK-SNAP GIGANTOPITHECUS

I meant the first bit to say "He knows more than I do, I'm not undermining his knowledge"

For years I thought belts were for pussies. I went until failure for multiple sets about 3 times a week with high weight and never used a belt once. My back is fucked and I am only 18. Wear a belt or save yourself and don't do it.

Find form advice from a credible source rather than a Malaysian hoisting chain letter. Start lightish so you can grow accustomed to the correct form.

Your legs are going to feel like crazy jello and you will probably have butt DOMS for the first time in your life.

Deadlifts are the shit.

How many pl8s did you start wearing a belt?

I got butt doms from squats before I started doing real diddlies
But I first got lower back and ham doms
Lower back doms are the fucking worst.

I never wore a belt. When I stopped lifting I was at 420 lbs.

dont see how posting a vid of a roidmonkey is gonna support your case, but its entertaining

That niggas natty, mate

Initially fuck yeah lower back DOMS are outrageous. Strangely enough deadlifts/romanian deadlifts/good mornings and various squats saved my back. My back was GARBAGE before I started lifting, always ached, went out frequently.. all that shit plus some basic yoga and planks and I feel like a new man.

t. Oldfag

>Falling for the SS meme
>Working legs ever
>Stunting height gains

the fuck is wrong you

I love lower back DOMS because while they fucking suck, it makes me think I'm making the weakest part of me (structurally) stronger and less prone to injury.

Nigga, I'm 25. I stopped growing a long time ago

Fucking teenage bitches.

I know bro, I was just teasing you :3

THANK YOU BACK SNAP GIGANTOPITHICUS

Do Sumo, easier on the back.

Sumo diddlies are just bad-squats

Keep a tight core, flat back and neutral spine. By that I mean look at the ground 3-4 feet in front of you instead of the mirror, so you're not extending your head. Your shins should be over or slightly in front of the bar, and your hips should be higher than your knees big below your shoulders. Stick your chest out and engage your lats. While pulling think about externally rotating your feet so that you generate torque through your glutes.