Chin Study Thread

Hey guys, I have some theories on aesthetics that have to do with people's chins and their dental development.

Could you please take a photo of your side profile (share it if you'd like, this will help our Veeky Forums study), look at it and answer the following:

1) Are you a chinlet with a downward-growing face? (Yes / No)

2) Do your teeth point directly up and down? (Yes / No)

3) At resting position with your lips closed, do your top and bottom teeth touch (or almost touch) each other? (Yes / No)

I have some theories which I'll reveal in a few posts, but I'd like to get some data from people with both strong and weaker chins.

Other urls found in this thread:

livestrong.com/slideshow/1011117-10-exercises-reduce-double-chin/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21804427
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17596787
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Oh my God I'm ugly.
1. Idk just be honest with me with a second opinion
2.idk, I had braces to fix an overbite
3. They do not touch

i'd recommend getting a new more stylish hairstyle and definitely shaving bro

Planning on getting my haircut sometime this week and with that I shave. But I have to choose between either chronic acne or a fucking ugly beard.

OP here. Thanks for the data point. Here's my honest opinion:

You're not ugly and you're not a chinlet (not a fan of your facial hair though). I'm actually worse off and I get laid very consistently desu haha.

General aesthetics advice that will benefit all Veeky Forumsizens: take the Neck Pill, and start chewing hard gum for multiple hours/day to hypertrophy your masseter muscles (stronger jaw).

t-thanks desu, do you have any pictures of yourself before/after transformation?

Still in the process, no pics unfortunately. I've actually improved my front aesthetics significantly over the last 3 months with neck pill + masseter work (gum chewing).

As I said my side profile is quite weak, and from the research I've done (still collecting data), it seems to be a result of improper dental development.

Will reply again in a bit.

What kind/brand of gum do you recommend?

>tfw neck looks like a penis thread gets tons of attention, this thread that can actually help some Veeky Forumsizens gets slight. BRUH

Have you made chin gains from just chewing hard gum? Or are you on the Mewing stuff too?

I just got some Mastic gum, but have only been chewing about an hour/day.

OP here.

I just ordered Mastic gum, but it's got a long shipping time from Greece. God damn Greeks too busy hiding swimming pools in their backyard from the taxman to actually get proper 21st century exporting logistics.

Yes, more people please post! It doesn't matter if you have a decent or bad chin, all the data is useful. No pics necessary either, you can just give the questions an honest answer.

I think so but it's been very minimal. The jaw has really made great gains in only 2 months though.
Mastic's great, I just placed my order. Like any "exercise" I think progressive overload is good - start with what you can do, and add a few mins (and possibly more gum) each day/week.

And yes I mew. Whether or not mewing actually works, it's still the right thing to do because your face looks better with the tongue on the roof of your mouth. For me at least, vs. tongue at the bottom, it makes me look like I have significantly less of a double chin just from oral posture alone.

Yeah I've been Mewing too, been chewing mastic for about a month or so now. Just wondering if someone had seen chin gains from chewing hard gums WITHOUT mewing, that would be interesting to note.
Hopefully this shit helps in the long run.

Alright guys here's part of my theory. Improper dental development - whether as a child or young adult after all teeth have come in - can change the shape of your face. That seems obvious enough right?

In particular I've been noticing patterns between overbites and bimaxillary protrusion, and how they correlate with weak chins.

If you look up orthodontic before and after pictures, a lot of them seem to have a noticeable affect on the chin when viewing the side profile.

I hope to collect some more anecdotal data here, because enough anecdotal data and you start becoming statistically significant :)

what would you rate her looks 1-10 in before/after ?

Hard to say but that's a massive improvement. From literal mouth-breather tier to having a properly developed face.

Chin improvement seems correlated with teeth improvements.

>Eat cleaner
>Drink homemade kombucha 2 times a day.
>Enjoy better skin

I literally only drink water. 0 sugary snacks since I eat fruit already. Maybe I should cut back on fast food

try running a trimmer on your face and see how much herpes you get

Lmao, maybe? You just found your problem, pimple face.

upload a front face picture

>bimaxillary protrusion
holy fuck this is me
how much does this surgery cost? is it simple shit where they put braces, or do they cut off bone in your face and shit?

Post your side profile first
>Inb4 you don't

That's a fantastic Pepe.

I have a mild case, going in for a consult tomorrow to see my options. Might be able to do it with a form of braces but I'll have to research possible risks (Mike Mew doesn't seem to be a huge fan of braces from what I've read online?).

Could you take the OP survey quickly? A blurred/partial side profile photo would be great as well.

diagnose me

I actually got a chin implant recently. I dont have any before/after but I can just post general shit you might want to know

>costs around 4.5k in the US
>takes about 2 hours
>youre asleep during the whole time you wont feel a thing
>major swelling for at least a week but could be 2-4 for some people surgeon said this is dependent on age
>I have gotten a little more female attention, I would say ive gone up 0.5-1 point but this is a pretty arbitrary thing
>part of my face is still numb like 5 weeks later, the nerve on your chin takes several months to heal and will also be a little swollen during that time. Sometimes the nerve never heals and it will be numb forever but it is only a small part so its something you can easily live with

Most important thing though is that if you have gummy smile, even a little bit, you should not get a chin implant until after getting a maxillary impaction. I didnt learn about this until after. I had a little bit of a gummy smile but nothing too bad but since the surgery its gotten way worse. I cant smile now because you only see the top half of my upper teeth and gums. It costs 20k too so Im kinda fucked, still I would rather look nicer when I dont smile so its not a huge deal I will just talk like christian bale until I get the 20k. Pic related is what I am talking about so see an orthodontist before you see a plastic surgeon. The procedure makes your face a little less long and pushes the chin forward in addition to fixing your smile so your facial aesthetics will go up a lot.

Hope this helps good luck with your face gains.

are your lips like that in the resting position?if so your teeth must definitely point towards

OP here. Seems similar to me, maybe a tad better, but still somewhat chinlet mode.

Brings up a good point, what are your teeth directions like?

I am not going to post a pic, but I have fairly well developed chin with good forward growth.

>1) Are you a chinlet with a downward-growing face? (Yes / No)

No.

>2) Do your teeth point directly up and down? (Yes / No)

I would say so, yes.

3) At resting position with your lips closed, do your top and bottom teeth touch (or almost touch) each other? (Yes / No)

Yes, but my front teeth overlap quite a bit.

tfw still a lil chubby

1) I don't think so.
2) My top teeth are in front and bottom behind. Never needed braces. Otherwise, they're up+down
3) My bottom teeth touch the tips of my inner top

Thanks to the both of you, it really helps hearing from both chinlets and non-chinlets.
you don't look chubby at all from the face senpai

Bump for OP. Will post my side profile when I get home.

My face makes me suicidal, and for good reason. The result of 17 years of mouth breathing!

1. Yes
2. Almost?
3. Yes, I had braces when I was young.

I've been mewing for a few months, believe it or not but it's actually a bit better than it was before...

1) not sure what a downward growing face is
2) I think they do
3) they touch

I have a slight overbite, but not too bad.

Can you elaborate on tongue position and the benefits? Is it your entire tongue or just the tip? Do you push or just rest it

Looks like he just closed his mouth lmao

1. I don't know. I hope not?

2. When clenched upper teeth slightly ahead of lower teeth

3. No

tfw good teeth good jawline but fat

Same, but there are chin and jaw exercises that burn fat around the jaw and chin.
livestrong.com/slideshow/1011117-10-exercises-reduce-double-chin/

You can't isolate fat reduction user-desu

Read the sticky before you post newfag

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21804427
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17596787

>spot reduction

how intelligent are you?

Anyone know any good exercises for the neck?

I should clarify that it’s not really fat burning but muscle toning.

>muscle toning

it don't matter, I'm a lazy fuck who will never amount to anything, even if I had social skills my face ruins everything

Wait, this isn't r9k

>toning
>implying toning exists

Is this bait or are you just stupid?

I had this surgery. 9mm overbite due to low jaw not being far enough forward. Moved lower jaw 6 mm after two years of braces. 18mths was getting my teeth perfect, 6 mths letting them set so gums would firm around new tooth positions, then jaw surgery. Two days in hospital, one surgery one recovery, liquid diet for a week, all blended soft food for 6 mths, though I transitioned to soft chewing at 4 mths.

Total face change, strong jaw, perfect teeth, worth every moment of the three year journey

>tfw I look better after my genioplasty

:)

Yeah, you totally can’t tone your muscles. Might as well stop doing curls because that doesn’t tone biceps at all. Literal retards. Unless we’re arguing semantics here, in which case you guys are total autists.

>unless we're arguing semantics here
>unless we're arguing what words mean here

Any before/after pics?

1. Not sure if I'm a chinlet or fat.
2. Yes
3. Yes

What would you rate me bros? Am I just fat? I'm 5'8 prince of manlets, 175ib. Body fat status = no longer can see ibs
>feels batman

OP here. Thanks for keeping the thread alive and providing more data guys.

Hmmm, good thing you're young. Mewing will do you good, start chewing a lot too, like tough gums. Asians be having too many soups, noodles, and shit they can slurp without exercising that jaw.
Keep researching as well, maybe palate expanders and other stuff John Mew talks about. You're still in a growth phase so there's time.

Thx, not bad.

Thx, also not bad. Try looking up "oral posture" with Mewing, you may find benefit if interested.

Would love to see your pics, sounds like you were dealt a rough hand but played it smart. What a journey, I hope your social development has been decent regardless.

You do. Do you know what your initial orthodontic issues were? Looks like bad overbite and poor lower jaw growth?

Probably a decent chin? Just fat unfortunately. Try intermittent fasting if calorie counting isn't working too well :)

Stick to one fucking thread instead of spreading the discussion around

chinlet here

Thanks for the advice, yeah I just grew up on easy to chew shit like rice, soft noodles, soup, dumplings, etc. Also I hated meat as a kid so I never really chewed shit

However, even if my chin gets bigger, I don't think it's gonna fix shit - my mouth protrudes so much

Top is after, you can see it trimmed my cheeks, squared up teeth, defined sides of jaw. Removed slight double chin. Your face will change - it WILL look better. These guys know what they are doing.

No u. Clearly enough people are finding this thread useful and interesting in its own right.

Hmmm, as I thought. I tend to think that lips protrude as teeth point outwards - the lips follow the teeth so to speak. Could you post side view of teeth?
You may still need tooth aligning work if so. Maybe another round of braces, or other orthodontic work. Obviously I'm not a doctor, just throwing around some ideas here.

I would also say all this placebo muscle mind stuff is bunk. There is a reason it costs xx thousands. It's like saying a woman can grow her tits with positive thought.... the only thing I didn't do was the cosmetic cadaver bone. In addition to the 6mm lower adjustment the doc said he could insert a few mm of bone into my chin to give me the "Gaston" peak. I declined. But I'm happy enough as is.

Starting point doesn't seem terrible but it's hard to tell without side view for this sort of thing.

>gauise!
>I have a theory but wait for it it's so groundbreaking
And then you spill out shit every retarded turd sandwich knows. Off yourself.

Is this really common knowledge?

Then why are there so many chinlets? At least more than there needs to be.

Agree, but I trolled 10 yrs of Facebook and I just don't have profile where I wasn't pushing my lower jaw forward to compensate. I was extremely soft conscious and KNEW my lower jaw "rested" to far back, so after the surgery most people didn't see a change because I had been straining to fake it in every interaction for three decades. (Old fag). The single greatest thing it did for me was the confidence to relax and show a real smile, KNOWING my teeth and Jaw looked amazing.

All I can say it DO IT. Sell your car, don't buy that Xbox, stop smoking weed, whatever you sacrifice for the short term is worth the power of confidence in the long term.

Because most teenagers don't give a fuck about it because they can't grasp the damage they do to themselves and parents are too busy not caring about their kids.

...S-stop with the Truth...

Are your before pics in this thread?

>tfw had wisdom teeth causing a crossbite in my mouth for three years
>my mom never gave a shit and wouldnt get them removed despite warning from my dentist that they will eat into the roots of my other teeth and soon fuse to my jaw

You're not ugly. Once you cut, you'll have a fantastic jaw.

But for fucks sake, trim that nasty facial hair. It looks terrible. Do only 4 mm max. It'll make you look older but still look kept.

Post more about your theories op

1) Are you a chinlet with a downward-growing face?
> yes

2) Do your teeth point directly up and down?
>no

3) At resting position with your lips closed, do your top and bottom teeth touch
> if I clench, they don't touch but they are close. If I'm at rest they do touch

rate my chin

will i ever get gf?

OP here.

Jesus same here. It's almost like my single mom was too busy worrying about herself or something.

Sure, I've already posted a bit above. Basically I'm seeing a great correlation between improper tooth alignment (either overbites and/or bimaxillary protrusion) and a weak chin. I believe the former(s) may cause the latter, as evidenced by a lot of orthodontic before and after work, even with simple braces.

The teeth shape the face, and there are all sorts of random things in modern (unnatural) development that shape the teeth (for example the Asian kid a few posts up who coincidentally applied relatively little chewing force growing up due to his diet).

Here's a simple example, look at the OP picture with the bimaxillary protrusion. You'll need to google that to see what the teeth look like for this condition. But basically it seems to me that when the teeth point outwards, the lips follow and push out more, as well as the midface in general, giving it a puffier look, de-emphasizing the chin, and probably pushing it down.

Quite attractive despite having weaker chin and protruding lip area (what are your teeth directions like?). This is similar to what I have. Do note though that Afrocentric genes tend to have this feature more commonly than other races, which is unfortunate (I read that this is also related to why they are known for puffier lips). However, there are still plenty of examples of orthodontic work improving this, like the OP picture. Continue to do research, maybe get a consult with an orthodontist.

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds like it was quite the journey.. I'd definitely be interested in reading a longer write up, particularly the changes that occurred in your social interactions as your appearance improved.

Mewing has brought my chin forward significantly. It used to be further back than my lips. Mew hard and chew mastic gum, boyos

>mewing
I've never been a mouth breather. Are you telling me it's not ok to have my tongue relax in my mouth.

How old are you/were you when you started Mewing?

Yes, your tongue should be sucked up to the roof of your mouth, especially the back of it. You can tell if you're doing it right when your neck/jaw skin gets pulled up (not like my picture)

20, almost 21 now. It may very well just be jaw growth, but my jaw hadn't changed much that I could notice until then

nigger he just moved his jaw forward, look at his lips, everyone can do this