/run/ - Running general

Running 26.2 miles barefoot to school in Kenya chased by hyenas everyday edition

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
ultramarathonrunning.com/training/

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Sharing on Strava with the /fitizens/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Pace Calculator
helpfulrunner.com/tools/running-training-pace-calculator.php

>Stretches
runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

>running injuries and how to treat them
runnersconnect.net/running-injuries/

>How to Buy the Right Running Shoes
archive.is/VGoxG

>running form
[YouTube] How to Have Proper Running Form | Running (embed)

>Sprint Training Advice
>A number of current and former professionals and coaches have posted in this thread. Read it thoroughly.
letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=4995196

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/CarsandSarcasm/Your-One-Stop-Shop-for-Anti-Obesity-Science
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I apologize for messing up the running form link

Out of shape here, been running for 3 months now (last month I've really tried to go serious)
Seeing a lot of progress and lurking fit and other places for info and help.

Came here to vent the fact that i managed to run a km in 5 mins (average) on a 3.5km run, which is almost a minute better than before.
Norhing hardcore but feels good getting better.

Also, any tips on quit smoking?

Stop buying cigarettes. that should help

km per 5 mins is an ok pace but i've heard it's better to build up a stamina base at a slow pace then do shorter runs to work on speed.. can anyone comment on this?

Yes, it is absolutely better to build up a base first. It'll allow you to do more/longer speed workouts as you improve.

First time running lads.

My 2 mile(~3.25km) run time is 29 minutes. I hope you feel better about yourselves. Will report back in a few months with some progress.

zola senpai, is that you?

tonight we long run. going for a 20 miler.

>inb4 20 is not a long run.

Running a XC 5k on a whim this Sunday.

Aiming to run it in 20min.

Last timed 5k was 23min during a Tri Sprint.

Is it realistic to think 20min should be no problem?

>How far have you run this week?
About 25k
>What are you working on?
Faster 5 and 10k times
>How was your last run?
Not bad, moderate pace 45min 10k
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Bought a Casio f91-W, for 10 bucks, so I can finally keep track of time.

is this pic a meme or is it worth a shot? any advice or recommendations?

>Is it realistic to think 20min should be no problem?

last month anything faster than 27 minutes was pushing it for me, but now im down to 25 min this month with a comfortable effort. looking to continue my trend and break through 24 minutes in another month or so.

I'm on week 4 right now. The first day was brutal running for 5 minutes but now that I just got done the 3rd day it was ez pz. So far it has worked very well for me. I always thought 'I'm too big to be a runner. I'll never be able to do long distances.' This program has proved me quite wrong. Running actually feels good now.

I'm about 6'0" and 250Ib. I find that I have the stamina to run for a bit but my problem is joint pain. The two places I start to get it are my right ankle and my middle lower left back. I've watched the form video but is there anything else I could do to reduce the joint pain or will that come with the weight loss?

I managed to lessen the pain while running for a while but now it has start back up again

fuck this fucking weather. torrential downpours do not make for good running weather.

Looks good

Interval training is the best way to train for any kind of cardio sport

I'm in the same boat as you

When I run my hips and back give out before my cardio does, fucking hate that feel. Having 50 lbs more than I should on me makes everything harder and makes every moving part hurt more.

Running is the word for this, so I just slow it down to a walk and then pick it back up as soon as I'm able.

Gonna start swimming and cycling a lot more, they're easier on the joints, especially swimming. Swimming takes all the pressure off your back and you feel like a million bucks when you're done. Also if it's not crowded I love just floating on my back for 10 or 15 minutes in the sun, look up at the clouds for a while, then close my eyes and get into an almost meditative state. Highly recommend

I just ran a 23min 5km. Dropped down from about 27 a month or two ago. I think 20min is asking a lot, I've been noticing the drops in time get smaller and smaller so I dunno about expecting a 3min drop. Though it is a race and the spirit of competition does amazing things, I wouldn't be surprised if you shaved a solid 2mins off your current best just by running alongside others. Best of luck and report back how it went, keen to hear

>wake up
>legs feel like concrete

I'M SO TIRED I CAN'T FUNCTION PROPERLY

anyone have any anecdotal evidence of using cardio for fat loss?

Not sure I understood but I've read that cardio is great for burning fat on places where we don't usually burn fat (getting rid of "love-handels" for exemple)

Calories in, calories out basics and for me (196cm and 85kg) i burn aprox. 2000 calories per day doing nothing, so if i move my metabolism increases and i spend more energy and burn more fat out over those 2000 calories.

Healthy diet and active minutes of your day will show results fast, I've dropped 8kg in a couple months just counting calories like an autist and tracking my movements with FitBit bracelet.

(best fucking thing ever to do on "restdays" is to go for walks with stuffed backpack, sure burns a fuckton of calories)

>tfw first 10k
>opened slow as fuck because I don't know how hard I can run the 10k without hitting rock bottom and dying.

Just got done with week 2 actually, here's the full infographic that includes some stretches too, sorry about the quality.

*******ATTENTION*******
POST YOUR 1-MILE TIMES
I'll start, my current is 7:40 but the fastest I ever had regularly was 6:20

Have a child. If you're worth a shit you'll throw away your frivolous bad habits and get yourself sorted for your boy.

[blog] just run 12k for the first time, just under 1:12, on my prep to run a half marathon [/blog]

My mile time is 4:27 as per this year's Track Season. More of a distance guy though.

I find it speeds up my cuts and makes my bulks less messy. Find that what I could've done in 5 months of dieting I can do in half the time when I run and cycle, it's easy to eat under your caloric goals when they're like 3000 due to the cardio

I'm only running 25 miles this week. I spent most of the week in a hotel due to business travel, so training was not optimal.

However, I'm also not training for a marathon right now. I ran my first ultra marathon earlier this year and got top 10%. I'm now just running 30 miles a week on a treadmill. That's enough for maintenance. There's no reason to constantly be in top marathon condition.

Best mile time is 4:45, 2:05 first half mile and 2:40 second half.
5k time is 20:06
5 mile time is 33:25

I cant run more than 5 miles though

Who /pathetic/ here?

>9:49
What the fuck happened? I started not long ago and I walk faster than this.

Burnt myself out first km cause I don't know how to pace myself. It's babbys first week running.
I'm down 100lbs and finally light enough to not kill my joints, but still fat and out of shape. Truly pathetic.

Skip first two weeks

Who else is bad knees here and gets lower back pain like 5 minutes into running.

Fucking hate being flatfooted

Flat feet are often fixable with specific training. Start by walking on your tippy toes as much and as hard as you can, Google other exercises to strengthen foot muscles, concentrate on stepping on outsole or whatever you call it.

You can't fix flat feet unless you're - 18 and even then you'll need orthotics to fix it.

If you're over 18 only thing you can do is get orthotics and prevent the condition from worsening.

Is cardio really only good for achieving more of a deficit, or are the benefits more related to the hormonal and metabolic effects of exercise? If so, which hormonal and metabolic effects do different forms of cardio have?

To be clear, I don't really believe in calories in/calories out, excess weight from my understanding is more dependant on hormones and metabolism (both of which are certainly affected negatively by excess weight) but optimizing hormones and metabolism through diet ("clean" eating, macronutrient ratios and timing), exercise (metabolic and hormonal effects of resistant and anaerobic training) and lifestyle (doing activities that lowers cortisol and/or boost positive hormones) seem to be more efficient at losing weight than reducing calories.

>I don't really believe in calories in/calories
We noticed you are stupid from the tripcode, no need to give us more evidence.

What if your legs are twigs and you weigh 500 pounds?

>To be clear, I don't really believe in calories in/calories out

>To be clear, I don't really believe in calories in/calories out

lose weight, i used to get shin splits and knee pains until my bmi dropped below 22.

5 min km on a 3.5km doesn't tell us much. Run 16km(10 miles) and then report back

>been running for three months
>sending him out to run 10 miles

You baited me hard. Almost replied seriously.

Any Army/Marine fags who add rucking into your running regimen?

I value my knees and back unfortunately. Most I run with is 5-10lbs.

Is that you OP ?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

quality responses. Guess I'll just do the research on my own, my mistake trying to get knowledgeable responses on Veeky Forums.
you can only communicate through reaction images and buzzwords, pretty pathetic way to interact.

i might only be able to communicate through reaction images but at least i believe in calories in calories out

You're retarded, no use arguing with you.

is /barefoot/ the ultimate runpill?
who /desert pricker in foot/ here

You asked for anecdotal evidence and I told you my story. You then respond saying you don't believe in thermodynamics and then get pissy when people meme you. Take it easy mate what did you expect by posting something like that?

I believe calories in v out is the end game but I do think there is more at play, that a sedentary deficit of 200 in my mind isn't the same as an overly active persons deficit of 200. Yeah they would both lose the same but I do think the way it happens might differ from distribution and willingness of certain stubborn parts to burn off? i dunno mate, if I did I would have published it and made my money.

Don't @ me, stupid nigger.

I can run 5 miles in a little under 45mins but my mile time is just under 8 minutes. What distance should I be running to get faster?

Sprints.

>PUT LESS IN
>do not burn it
>LESS IS STORED.

>MORE MORE IN,
>do not burn it
>MORE IS STORED.

github.com/CarsandSarcasm/Your-One-Stop-Shop-for-Anti-Obesity-Science

A fully archived and ever expanding list of articles, studies, stories, and facts providing an objective and comprehensive argument against any and all fatlogic.

Because you are so fucking retarded you must be a lurking fatty who doesn't understand how their body actually fucking works.

Going for a fucking run.