Redpill me on beans, Veeky Forums

Redpill me on beans, Veeky Forums.

better than bread

high in protein

Beans are a very good source of protein.

beans beans beans beans they make wanna scream

Beans are a great, VERY great source of potassium and fibre. Protein is not as high as everyone says, but they are a decent source of it.
Avoid soy/edamame. All other beans are good.

I like pinto beans.

They explode in the microwave though.

Makes you gey desu.

Beans beans
They’re good for your heart
The more you eat the more you fart
The more you fart the better you feel
So eat your beans at every meal

nice try, satan

>Avoid soy/edamame
why? i thought the soy meme was dead. also first time i hear about avoiding edamame

>Protein is not as high as everyone says,
Protein in beans is pretty damn high.
Beans (and all legumes) are all about 30% protein by calories. 30%. Keep that number in mind.
An adult male who lifts intensely needs no more than 0.8 grams per pound (1.8 per kg) of lean body mass.
An adult male at 93 kg, 12%bf needs about 140g protein, that's 560 kcal.
That same male needs about 2500-3000 kcal daily.
Worst case scenario: 560/2500 = about 20% calories need to come from protein
30% > 20%
Beans = good
>Avoid soy/edamame.
Literally no reason to avoid soy/edamame.

Not as good as lentils.

Don't need to soak lentils and you it's really easy to make a nice veggie stew with lentils that will fill you up for a long time.

Lentils are disgusting though.

Also, boil some and mix with your mashed potatoes. good amino profile and who tf says no to proton mashed potatoes?

godlike tier food right there

I'll admit I don't know all the science behind soy, but instead have relied on the general opinion that it contains an estrogen-like substance that affects the body's endocrine balance if eaten in excess.
I've been seeing a lot of links between soy/edamame and breast cancer, but upon searching some study abstracts, there is weak suggestions of the link at best.
My opinion of soy is probably ill founded.
Yes, while beans look like a great source of protein by your metric, it becomes difficult for most to see that when you factor how many beans you need to eat to get your proposed 140g protein.
1 cup (250ml) of canned black beans contains 180kcal and 12g protein.
To reach 120g of protein, one would need to consume 10 cups (2.5L) of canned black beans.
Beans are a good protein source, but I don't believe they could be relied on alone for protein needs.

literally zero taste

Are apparently the only veg that you should be eating regularly.

what. Lentils are great on veggie & protein salads, wraps, and soups.
Have you tried adding oil, spices, a pinch of salt?

wow thanks for the idea

>Canned black beans.

I buy my beans dry and boil them in water. I also add other stuff to give it flavour. Most often some form of pork, maybe chops, maybe bacon, among other veggies, lots of onion and garlic, some salt. Makes for a very thicc and flavorfull, dense and soupy mixture. I won't eat it alone though. I'll accompany with a cup of rice and chicken breast or somethin'.

Farts smell like shit the day after but it's gud fud.

>a pinch of salt
enjoy your titties bloat boy

The more you eat the more you toof

lentils and bacon is yummy

*toot im gna fuxking kys myself

>Yes, while beans look like a great source of protein by your metric, it becomes difficult for most to see that when you factor how many beans you need to eat to get your proposed 140g protein.
Volume is an issue if you're doing wfpb to be honest, which is why I compensate with lots of peanut butter. It's 17% protein, so it's ok to eat macro-wise. And when I miss pasta, bread or rice, I use mock meats. They're kinda pricey but they're ok for once or twice a week.
I'll prorbably invest in pea protein isolate though.

this seriously must be bait. salt is super essential to bodily function, moreso for active lifters/athletes. if you don't eat anything processed with tons of sodium it's highly likely you're salt deficient and that's probably why your lifts are shit-tier

A bit of salt every now and then isn't going to give you tits, user. If you are sweating everyday like you should be, it replenishes lytes.
Granted, I don't add salt to my meals usually. Only on my eggs and toast every morning or so.
You probably have a better method of bean prep. I imagine the cost/volume difference of canned beans beans vs dry beans is significant.

>Don't need to soak lentils
If farting and shitting liquid isn't an issue then no, you don't

I like bean a well prapared bean soup but most people lower themselves to eating canned beans slightpy warmed up on a pan or microwave, thats just cancer

Why would you do this, they don't need softening
Is it to get rid of starch?

Always had a bigger digestion problems with beans than I have with lentils

All I know is that pre-soaked lentils = no farts, non-soaked lentils = farts and fiery liquid shits. I don't know if it's that way for everyone, I don't know the science behind this, all I know is that there is no reason not to soak them and that I fart noticeably less. So there.

>Yes, while beans look like a great source of protein by your metric, it becomes difficult for most to see that when you factor how many beans you need to eat to get your proposed 140g protein.

Few things you're missing, beans have a great range of amino strands. Mixing different beans and a few meats together can actually benefit you more via creating complete proteins.
2 cans black bean, 2 kidney, 1 pinto, 1 slow roast pork (size varies) chop and let stew with beans. Choose chicken or beef. Cook as main meat source.

Guarantee you will have your daily protein needs and a more balanced amino acid ratio.

Black beans are GOAT
Only bad thing about them is they take like 3 hours to cook

He was responding to a vegan, pork isn't vegan
Buy precooked ;)

>also first time i hear about avoiding edamame
edamame is soy

>vegan
well there is your issue
have fun sucking down kale like a faggot whoever you were talking to.
Cost a shit ton of money to get protein in bulk as a vegan. Beans are not optimal for this, eating them daily in such a large bulk can make you sick or poison you.
You'd have to eat over 8 cans of various beans daily. Good luck with that.

>having never tried it, I would know

>have fun sucking down kale like a faggot whoever you were talking to.
Kale is a meme, never even bought it
>Cost a shit ton of money to get protein in bulk as a vegan.
Wrong, legumes
>Beans are not optimal for this, eating them daily in such a large bulk can make you sick or poison you.
Nice source
>You'd have to eat over 8 cans of various beans daily. Good luck with that.
Less actually, about 4 or 5.

Dude stay mad, you have no idea what diets i've tried.

I know factually that you can not cheaply bulk protein on a vegan diet.
You can't, there isn't a single way to eat enough vegan food and get protein at the same cost it would take from meat.
Prove me wrong.

In fact I can in one meal of meat gain more protein than you can in an entire day of eating vegan.
So I know you're full of shit.

>Dude stay mad
>sounds madder than anyone else in the thread

>Don't need to soak lentils

wat

do you just eat them dry and crunchy?

You're talking to people that can't even do something as basic as 2pl8 bench why even waste your time with them

soak=/=cook
2.5plate 5rm but nice try

veganbro?

Yes?

ah yeah I realised just after posting

In which case I do not soak them either

Seriously vegans are the worst.

>let me tell you how meat eaters are wrong about fitness and nutrition
>don't even know how to get their own macros

>thinks fitness and nutrition is about macros

Good on you

I do mostly red lentils, black beans, and pea protein

>2.5 pl8
Lemme guess you're the 110kg genetic dead end

Nutrition is literally about macros and micros.
That's the very idea behind nutrition.
Are you retarded?

>vitamins, minerals, and other nutritivie compounds don't mean shit, bro
>it's all about da PROTEIN

90kg bw
"macros and micros" doesn't mean "protein only bro"

>micros
>protein
Hmmmm

..clarence?

Beta poor people food. Great source of indigestible lectins. Miles better than refined carbs though.

If you're gonna eat them, cook the fuck out of them or get them refried. A pressure cooker may be a good investment.

I really am having a hard time deciding if you're actually retarded or just vegan.

Macros include protein, carbs, fat.
Micros include everything else.
Both of these come together to determine your nutritional needs every day.

different guy how long vegan for? Other lifts ? Training period?

3/2.5/3.5 pates 5rm in 1.5 year (I swear to god bench is full ROM, I know it's too high compared to squat and DL)
Stopped at May because non-lifting-related knee and wrist injury plus changing countries
Restarting at October 1, hope I can, wrist is 100% recovered, can do pullups no problem in the park, knee still feels a bit funny when biking. We'll see.

No need to swear dude I got a 4pl8 squat due to manlet propotions in 1.5 years and I've seen plenty of people hit 200kg deadlift thanks to monkey arms and trying hard.
Pretty cool you got that with a vegan diet.

Cool info, thanks for responding, user.

Tempeh is great too. It's not so watery like other beans, and even though it's soy it's fermented so the phytoestrogens are deactivated.

Never managed to make it taste good. No matter how much soy sauce I drown it in it always has a characteristic taste between rubber and liver

Slice it intro strips and bake it

>strips
That's how I marinated it
>bake
I don't have an oven, I live in a tiny ass room in a small dutch town
Please help an extra protein source can't hurt

if you buy them canned, you're paying more for 33% of the nutrition
dry beans are GOAT. It's not like soaking them is a lot of work, just fucking put them in a bowl with water in the morning and forget about them until cooking

Bump for Beans