ALCOHOL DRINK

This thread is dedicated to alcohol drink in history.

Bonus if you post something with an historical significance, something spiritual or mythological.

Attached: ogogoro.jpg (340x260, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-6209-770-4_2
drunkard.com/55-blood-and-wine/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alewife_(trade)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_L-M20#Chalcolithic_South_Caucasus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

In the Yoruba religion, Ogoun is an orisha (deity) and loa (spirit) who presides over iron, hunting, politics and war. He is the patron of smiths, and is usually displayed with a number of attributes: a machete, rum and tobacco. Ogoun comes to mount people in various aspects of his character, and the people who venerate him are quite familiar with each of them. His possessions can sometimes be violent. Those mounted by him are known to wash their hands in flaming rum without suffering from it later. They dress up in green and black, wave a sabre or machete, chew a cigar and demand rum in an old phrase “Gren mwe fret” (my testicles are cold). Often, this rum is first poured on the ground, then lit and, finally, the fumes generated by this are then allowed to pervade the peristyle. The sword, or much more commonly the machete, is his weapon and he often does strange feats of poking himself with it, or even sticking the handle in the ground, then mounting the blade without piercing his skin.

Attached: screen-shot-2013-06-22-at-23-20-43.png (282x300, 155K)

Dionysus, Romanised as Bacchus, was the god of grape harvest, winemaking and wine, of ritual madness and ecstasy in Greek mythology. He was later considered a patron of the arts. Dionysus is the son of Zeus and Semele. He was one of the most important gods of everyday life and became associated with the idea that under the influence of wine one could feel possessed by a greater power. On one hand he brings together joy and ecstasy, on the other chaos and misery, reflecting both sides of wines nature. He was a god who stood for the untamed nature of life. He wandered the world actively encouraging his cult. Maenads, women who had been driven mad, flush with wine and known for their cries of ‘oi’, accompanied him. The maenads achieved a state of ‘ecstasis’, which is where our word ecstasy comes from, and were famously outrageous. Festivals called Dionysia were held in his honour in the spring, when leaves started to reappear on the vine, Greek theatre was institutionalised here.

Attached: 200px-dionysos_louvre_ma87_n2.jpg (152x299, 9K)

Raugupatis is known as the God of fermentation. Raugutiene is Raugupatis partner and she is known as the Goddess of beer.

Attached: tumblr_inline_mne8orZ7Zi1qz4rgp.jpg (500x313, 37K)

Yasigi, African

This African goddess of beer was depicted as the ultimate party girl, a female deity depicted with ample breasts, a beer ladle and penchant for lustful dance.

Attached: ori_2063_575725216_1109399_satimbe_1.jpg (225x300, 30K)

Yi-ti, Chinese

This Chinese god is said to have created the first rice wine. Not much is known about Yi-ti but it is said that he brewed the concoction for an emperor and may of used grapes as well as rice.

Attached: 14473c7945e4796c5f49325cdf53ee18.jpg (406x674, 81K)

This paper is about distillation of ogogoro in nothearstern Nigeria :

link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-94-6209-770-4_2

+

CONCLUSION
Many questions remain unanswered. but we can only conclude that, Argi belongs to the people of the old Sukur kingdom, namely, the Higgi, Marghi and others within that axis.
There was no evidence whatsoever that it had any foreign contribution in its production.

What are some of the oldest sources about alcoholism? Pop history likes to classify Alexander the Great as an alcoholic, but is probably misguided. Grant was an alcoholic, but not during his command in the U.S. Civil War.

Also here's a nice bit of fluff, great read but probably would take with a whole spoonful of salt
>drunkard.com/55-blood-and-wine/

Attached: 119917_v1.jpg (450x310, 92K)

Thank you for your contribution.

Ba-Maguje, Hausa Spirit of Drunkenness.

Attached: hausa-people2-640x278.jpg (640x278, 44K)

Isn't this the name of a city in Game of thrones?

I always find it amusing that up until the 1970s-80s every significant political and military leader probably had a good buzz on for most of their decisions

What a stupid thing to claim.

Yes.

>demand rum in an old phrase “Gren mwe fret” (my testicles are cold
WHY?

Because his testicles are cold.

Chemical analysis of jars from the neolithic village Jiahu in the Henan province of northern China revealed traces of alcohol that were absorbed and preserved. According to a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, chemical analysis of the residue confirmed that a fermented drink made of grapes, hawthorn berries, honey, and rice was being produced in 7000–6650 BC.[3][4][5] The results of this analysis were published in December 2004.[5][6] This is approximately the time when barley beer and grape wine were beginning to be made in the Middle East.[citation needed]

The earliest firm evidence of wine production dates back to 6000 BC in Georgia [1][2].

Evidence of alcoholic beverages has also been found dating from 3150 BC in ancient Egypt,[7] 3000 BC in Babylon,[8] 2000 BC in pre-Hispanic Mexico,[8] and 1500 BC in Sudan.[9]

The medicinal use of alcohol was mentioned in Sumerian and Egyptian texts dating from about 2100 BC. The Hebrew Bible recommends giving alcoholic drinks to those who are dying or depressed, so that they can forget their misery (Proverbs 31:6-7).

Official thread mascot

Attached: 1505967375442.jpg (1279x960, 140K)

L○●○O●○●○L

Just drink responsibly and let a friend drive!
>inb4 drive
>inb4 friends

Just at home, alone.

user, no!

I tried making cider the old fashioned way.

1: poured in near boiling water to sterilize
2: added 2 tblspn of sugar and a bit of boiling water to sterilize
3: apple juice and baker's yeast straight from the packet

For the first few days it was fizzing only a little, then for 2 days there was a constant stream of bubbles and it got cloudy, then the yeast settled on the bottom and occasional bubbles escaped bringing up gloops of yeast, now nothing and the liquid is clear. I removed the rubber seal so gas could escape.

It smells a little tangy like real cider, though also like sour dough and a slight "rosy" smell which I'm not sure about. I won't be drinking this but I'd like to improve it and drink my own brew eventually.

I was curious and kept opening it so I might have contaminated it slightly, though yeast was clearly the dominant lifeform.

I will make 2 more next time, one using yeast at the bottom of this jar and another from the packet.

I have to remove the seals because of the huge amount of gas generated though I might fashion one out of blutac save for a small hole to let gas escape

Thoughts?

Attached: IMG_0219.jpg (3264x2448, 1.03M)

internal view

Attached: IMG_0220.jpg (3264x2448, 1.08M)

Checked, looks nice, I love cider. Give it a taste and report back!

>I won't be drinking this but I'd like to improve it and drink my own brew eventually.
The fuck is your problem? Also, warm water activates yeast, hot water kills it. You could probably get away with less yeast and warm water, as yeast propegates. You're supposed to leave the yeast at the bottom and use siphoning (or a spigot just above the yeast) to get the liquid out and leave the dregs.

You could also freeze-distill it into applejack. Then again, this is all advice from a brewer who just wanted to get drunk before he was 21. Take it to /diy/ if you want real tips.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alewife_(trade)

Dope.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_L-M20#Chalcolithic_South_Caucasus
>World’s earliest evidence of footwear and wine making

>an historical
>an
you're a fucking twat

ESL*

stop using bread yeast and buy a packet of Champagne yeast from a brew supply

old-fashioned way would to grind or press apples to include some wild yeast

Attached: johnny.jpg (1152x720, 125K)

Old fashioned way? Nigger you are using commercial yeast. Old fashioned way uses wild yeast.

English makes no fucking sense whatsoever so typos are irrelevant.

>alex
>not an alcoholic
Dude was histrionic and probably borderline, all sources indicate he was a fucking lush

>I won't be drinking this but I'd like to improve it and drink my own brew eventually.
How will you improve it if you don't know what it tastes like?

earliest date for the conception?

Dunno