Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqr4GnICbvE
youtube.com/watch?v=iMlx0Bab4L4
youtube.com/watch?v=fbVd1hviu34
youtu.be/gXwMXp0NV1I
youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3r2lytys8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For some reason, everyone at my gym is doing them now

compromises shoulder capsule/rotator cuff and can easily damage your shoulders if the weight is too high

i would not recommend doing them for lateral head development

Dead giveaway that you're a newbie. Don't do 'em

If you have the prerequisite mobility: single best thing any lifter can do for his shoulder girdle. Will develop everything while also counteracting harmful effects of excessive bench pressing. From a bodybuilding standpoint far superior to a regular overhead press.

If you don't have the prerequisite mobility: single worst thing any lifter can do for his shoulders. Will fuck you up.

What about the klokov press?

Man if i was still in school and could pick a career right now id totally pick some med job who deals with shoulder surgery or rehab. in 20 years theres going to be so many 40 y.olds with completely fucked rotator cuffs because of all the dumb ass shit like BTN press,upright rows and wide grip+flared elbows+no scapular retraction bench

if it's good enough for arnie and klokov then it's good enough for me. Don't do them if you're a retarded ego lifter though cause you're gonna fuck up your shoulders trying to go too heavy

Completely fine if you have enough mobility. Problems arise when some zyzz wannabe, computer nerd with rounded shoulders and shitty overall posture starts doing them. Oly lifters do them all the time and they're fine.

I lack the shoulder morphology to do them. Even if I didn't, I plan on being able to lift things above my head when I'm fifty, so I wouldn't do them anyways.

dead give away that you're a dyel

shut up jesse, jeff said we're not allowed to do behind the neck press

>people with shit shoulder mobility are gonna whine about it being a dangerous lift
>people who can do them fine are going to say it's a staple in any shoulder routine
there's your answer OP

This. Give them a try OP and if you can do them then fucking do them, if you feel like you're gonna fuck something up then don't do them. Simple as that.

Literally the only exercise I use the smith machine for. High reps + seated gives me amazing pump throughout my shoulder girdle.

>compromises shoulder capsule/rotator cuff
Only if you're a stiff faggot.

If you are unable to put your rotator cuffs behind your neck then pressing behind the neck is the least of your concerns.

People who say shit like that are the faggots who thing a 260lbs bench 1RM and a 550lbs deadlift 1RM are a normal ratio

Retard if you know anything about physiology youd know that is a dangerous position to put your arms in. Let alone to lift heavy weights.

youtube.com/watch?v=iMlx0Bab4L4
this is you

lmao that has nothing to do with physiology.

youtube.com/watch?v=fbVd1hviu34

been doing them for 6+ years without so much a pinch. I'll agree that newbs don't need to be going heavy on them but give bad reps to good exercises cause you have the shoulder mobility of a fucking plank.

>not alternating your OHP from the front and from the back every other rep
>ever reaching 2/3/4/5 without roids

How weak are you m8?

>physiology
This is why you should never take any lifting advice from idiots.

>How weak are you m8?
lol pretty weak for my size.
i look like i should do 2/3/4/5 without roids but i can't even do 1/2/3/4 and i don't even train those lifts usually anyway.

Is klokov press safer ?

>weak ass faggot
>doesn't even lift
>still feels the need to argue about how BTNP is bad

Why are you here?
youtu.be/gXwMXp0NV1I

Even if you have the shoulder mobility to do behind the neck press, it's not a lift you should be pushing hard, because that's what's going to wreck your shoulders. If you can't make it a main lift, it's assistance and the fact it has a great balance of how much your different shoulders muscles are involved doesn't matter anymore. Instead of doing an assistance lift, that might cause stress in the long run, and keeps on knocking on that poor anteroir delt, there are better options. Pullups and Rows already hit your rear delts, if you know what you're doing. Face pulls are already considered helpful and actually good for your shoulders. Rear delt raises. I don't see the point of btnp.

>Don't do them user! I tried it once and my shoulders hurt ever since :(

lol stay mad
were you triggered by the blaha comparison? how very jason of you

Have you considered the fact that the BTN press is a single exercise that effectively stretches everything that the bench press tends to shorten? If you can do BTN presses it's among the best things you can do for your shoulder health. But that's a big "if", of course.

It's harder on your wrists and is as 'dangerous' as a regular pressing behind the neck.

The fitness gurus who claim pressing from behind the neck is bad work with unathletic, stiff, lazy white-collar americans. To them, pressing behind the neck literally snaps their stiff joints, just like a deadlift snaps their shit.

Pressing behind the neck, deadlifting, doing a full squat (hamstrings on calves) - that's all things that are staples of athletic strength training, but are hazardous to people who are unathletic.
USA-based coaches have to work with what they've got, so you see english-speaking gurus advising against doing them.
European coaches can literally pick people who they work with, so they all advise for doing them, since anybody who can't needs to GTFO.

>is as 'dangerous' as a regular pressing behind the neck.
Doesn't actually require quite as good shoulder mobility. But it is kind of the same, yeah.

This is true.
They used to be my favorite shoulder lift but then I got old and got a tear in my rotator cuff, now I'll never Press behind my head again.

You'll never graps the full extent of how not mad I am.

I'm literally here having a break in shitposting on /vp/ and spending time with my toddler. Everytime I might feel even a bit rattled by something I see posted on Veeky Forums, I just need to look around to fully relax and feel content with my life.

Actually consider killing yourself. Fucking brain dead mong. Enjoy shoulder problems. Just do normal OHP. Actually kys. XD

>then I got old
How old is 'old' to you m8?

I'm over 30 and tore my rotator cuff 4 years ago (while doing incline pressing 45lbs dumbells for shoulder health). I just did a proper rehab and didn't lose any shoulder mobility, except that now I can't grab my hands across my back left hand up (can do it the other way around)

Already hanged myself when I was 15. Neck is too chad for a rope to do the job, so I gave up on trying to neck myself and just press 2pl8 behind the neck like a normal person.

I'm 37 and tore my rotator cuff about 3 years ago doing seated Dumbbell shoulder Press. Now Iimit my shoulder workouts to side and rear laterals and my shoulders have gotten bigger since I stopped doing any kind of shoulder Press.

Stretching shoulders is easy, though. Just because people don't do it, because they are lazy, doesn't mean btnp is a good exercise because of it. And face pulls do the same thing, just without the extreme stress on the joint. I get that not every controversial exercise is actually bad, especially on a subjective level, I just don't see a good reason to put btnp in my routine.

Your shoulders have gotten bigger, because you're training them correctly for the first time in your life.

Simply pressing overhead is actually shit for shoulder development, unless you're a natural athlete with test levels in the 1000s.
It's great for putting heavy things over your head, getting a bigger bench and getting stronger, but getting big shoulders needs getting actual volume on every part of your deltoid, which is next to impossible if you simply press in your strongest movement pattern.

Try pressing overhead now, when your shoulders aren't bundles of weak points and a disaster waiting to happen. You'll find that the movement feels completly diffrent.

>I just don't see a good reason to put btnp in my routine.
Then don't. It's completly OK for your to not do a movement that benefits people with other builds and other goals.

Fucking lol. Just end it.

>but getting big shoulders needs getting actual volume
so press more? why are you so quick to slate off presses?

Kek

>knock-knock-knoking in snap City's door

cringeworthy pun there user
Wouldn't expect any more from a moron who doesn't understand proper lifting technique

>blue board

>that filename

Kek

How do you know if you have the appropriate mobility? And how do you work up to it if not?

Lie down on the floor. Press your low back into the ground so your entire spine is in contact with the floor. Now do a BTN press motion with just empty hands while lying on the floor. Your spine, including the low back, your shoulders, your elbows, and the back of your wrists must remain in contact with the floor throughout the movement. If this is easy, you're good to go. If it's hard and awkward and/or impossible, you're not ready for the BTN press.

How you would go about improving your mobility is going to depend on what's holding you back. That would take a thorough assessment.

can get you injured.

there's also no reason to do them other than being a poseur.

>*crushes your supraspinatus between your acromion and shoulder joint*

amazing how little this board actually knows about lifting

other way around boyo

True, but what do you expect? It's still Veeky Forums.

youtube.com/watch?v=Sw3r2lytys8
2:00

fukin lol with this US-Europe divide. Europe isn't some fairyland, tons of different countries and cultures here. You are probably talking about former east-block countries.

Wow, this pencil-neck again...

There's nothing more pathetic than backing up your argument using someone else with the same misinformed mindset you have

wrong. I do btn press 3x a week for years. That means you're wrong .

explain how it works or show me some video or text

>why are you so quick to slate off presses?
It took me 5 years, I wouldn't call that quick.

When I switched my OHP+accesories day into a proper shoulder day that doesn't actually include a military press, my shoulders grew more in one year than they did in the last five, but my OHP 1RM dropped 15kg.

Everytime I'm focusing on pressing strength, my shoulders look flat and weak.
Everytime I'm focusing on building up my delts, I find that my pressing strength is in the shitter, due to constant delt fatigue.

>explain to me how it works
go do it dipshit. It's NO different than any other excercise that gets a bad rep because a bunch of retards hurt themselves doing them wrong. Learn how to do them properly or shut your hole cause if you don't have personal experience with it then you have no grounds on which to bash it on faggot

see and Jeff Cavaliere has to work with the Burgerland population. He won''t screen every single person he comes across just to find the four people in each state that can press behind the neck.

In less obese and sedentary countries being unable to press behind your neck is the result of old age. Nobody below 40 should be able to injure himself by doing a normal weightlifting movement.

this post really made me thonk

GOAT shoulder exercise (if you can do them safely)

You're a fucking moron. This isn't a deadlift, the entire fucking position is bad for you, you can't just fight it off with proper form.

fantastic exercise, but do not go heavy on them if you are not confident in your strength.

They are fine, however you cant go very heavy due to the load it puts on your medial deltoid and collar bone and rotator cuff. Stick to low weight and volume and they are fine.