Alright Veeky Forums, yet again I decided to get in shape, I mean it this time

Alright Veeky Forums, yet again I decided to get in shape, I mean it this time.

I've read the fucking sticky and the info I gathered is that I must lift weights and eat more. Going to the gym is not an option, I don't want to spend 30 minutes to get there and back if I am to work out an hour at a time. Also, poorfag student, so not too excited about membership fees.

So I guess I have two main questions:

1) When it comes to lifting weights, will lifting 2kg/4.4 lbs weights even do anything?

I'm 176 cm/5ft 10 and 59 kilos/130 lbs, not HYPER skinny, but quite low body fat, thin arms and no chest, so I guess it should do something. Our PE teacher is into fitness (like a lot) and he told us that you are better off lifting smaller weights more times than the other way around.

2) What foods that are affordable have high calories?

I'd say I eat as much as the next guy, but I either have a faster metabolism or a tapeworm or whatever, the point is that I don't think I've gained weight in quite a while. Buying extra 300g of beef every day doesn't sound too healthy combined with normal eating schedule and more importantly, not too budget friendly. Sticky said something about fish oil capsules as well, should I go for that?

That's about it, I appreciate your tips.

1) no. And your PE teacher is retarded and spouting the same old broscience.
2) milk. Rice. Oats. Lentils. Eggs. Peanut butter

Go to the gym.

Gym is not an option, even if I could handle it timewise, I can't afford the membership.

If you want easy/encouraging gains and want to start off cheap/no gym than the absolute least you could do is get one of those basic weight sets with 2 dumbells and a series of smaller weights. The weights come in multiple plates so you have an 'adjustable' set to start with. Common ones come in 40 pound sets (4x2.5 plates and 4x 7.5 plates is an example of how it would come) so in that youve got a set of 5s, 15s, and 20s. You can get a set like this at most sporting goods stores for around $30-$50. If you find you have difficult committing to a regular workout with something like this in the comfort of your own home, you stand no change committing to anything else really.

If you're starting from 130 lbs and ZERO fitness background, starting with reps at 15 or 20 will, with proper diet, give you noticeable improvement in a relatively short amount of time which will hopefully set you up for further improvements.

Alright, that sounds good I guess. Zero background, not sure if it really matters in this regard, but I do road cycling almost year round.

So what I should be looking for are those adjustable sets, will take a look at them, thanks.

What made me go from boney skelly to pretty decent bodyweight is compound excercises.

Deadlifts, Squats, Bench press, incline bench press, Overheadpress, Pullups, Rows, Hack squats, Jefferson deadlifts, Shovel deadlifts

Basicaly just use barbell work and calisthenics and you'll be good.

>What should I be looking for?

Simple. You're not Rich Piana or anything. If you search on just about any sporting good site for 'Adjustable Weight Set' you'll find the types Im talking about. 40 lb sets are a pretty standard set. Some even come with a convenient storage case. The main benefits of these are that again, even with only 15s or 20s, you can and will push yourself and see improvement in a short amount of time, and the adjustable plates allow you to modify up or down as needed. Also taking the plates off the bar opens up some other meme exercises that are just done with the plates themselves.

Think of it as a guitar or a cycle. Someone starting out doesnt need a Fender Stratocaster or a $4000 all terrain bike. Start small. Start simple. Master that. Then look to the next move.

Calisthenics is what I've been doing on and off.

So, say, if I was to start doing what I usually did which was triceps dips, situps, pushups and every now and then pullups, what should I add to the mix?

I realize these questions might be dumb to someone interested in the topic, but bear with me guys.

Yeah but I rly recommend you getting a gym membership. Get your parents to pay for it or maybe talk to a gym if your under 18 about your financial status and they might understand you

I put on about 30 lbs over 5 years with heavy calisthenics alone. I also fucked my shoulder up doing that shit so make sure you know what good form is. Don't fall for the handstand push up meme. It will fuck your shoulder.

Reminds me of the time guy stuck a dick through the plate hole, but I know what you're saying, I already found a few.

My question is, you keep mentioning "encouraging gains", "short time period" but what does that mean in actual numbers? A warmup + an hour of working out a day, X sets of 15 at 15lbs, how long till I can actually notice something? I think of myself as a fairly patient person in every aspect but working out, so hearing atleast a VERY rough estimate would be nice.

Hey, I get what you are saying, I might get around to it eventually, but as of now I'm not even considering it, a mix of self-conciousness, lazyness and poorfagness that is too strong to overcome right now.

Actually no, that was retarded, doing 15 reps of 15lbs for an hour sounds far fetched with my current state in mind.

Weeks to months. You'll notice small differences almost immediately. Depending on how much time you put in, and how disciplined you keep to it. Lifting 40 pounds (20 in each arm) in 5-7 different exercises, in 3 sets of 10 reps can be more demanding than it sounds.

No. You're not going to GOMAD or anything. But you will see more mass/definition in the arms quicker than you'd think and you'll find sooner than later the reps become easier and easier.

Ive found with fitness (everything really) in general people get discouraged very easily, and the concept of 'mastering' or 'maxing out' the usefulness of a beginner set like that is a very achievable, realistic goal for a starter.

You'll see even modest results almost immediately, nor will the set challenge you so much as to be daunting or discouraging. Its a safe/easy investment for a relatively low cost. Even if you find you 'outgrow' the set quickly, you can always sell it even for 50% of what you paid for it most likely.

go to the gym FAGGOT

Then you build a home gym. Swinging two milk jugs worth of weight around isn't gonna do shit for you, retard.

>I mean it this time.
No you don't. Be honest with yourself. You're going to get tired of it and give it up by the end of the year. Just like every other "this time" shitlord.

Doing 3 sets of 10 reps with 20s sounds impossible, so I'm pretty sure I won't outgrow it anytime soon.

I found a set, it's sold as 2x10kg so that would be 2x22lbs, the bar is 4.5 and you can ofcourse adjust the plates up to the said 22. Not too expensive either.

>1) When it comes to lifting weights, will lifting 2kg/4.4 lbs weights even do anything?
Nothing.
>2) What foods that are affordable have high calories?
EGGs. Buy fuckton of eggs. Whole chickens. Rice. Milk.

Oh I eat eggs, best thing since sliced bread. Same story with milk. Chicken, yeah, why not, but rice?

Don't get me wrong, I have it every now and then, but is there anything about it that makes it, I don't know, more "valuable"?

I suppose my last word on it is just that you need to set and define some tangible goals. When you say you want to get in shape, what does that mean? Are you trying to get into lifting as a serious hobby in which you're constantly trying to improve what you can lift? Are you just looking to get a little bit of strength and have another outlet to cycling to burn calories and improve upper body look? Are you trying to lift for self-confidence reasons? What would it take for that to be achieved? These are the questions you need to answer before getting started as those answers dictate where you're going. Otherwise, you will end up buying a Fender before you even know how to play a power chord.

Very clear about that one, upper body look and some strenght, lifting is sort of means to an end.

My hobby that involves movement is cycling, it was like that until now and it will continue being this way. It doesn't really do much for the upper body though, which is why I want to try working out yet again.

Oh and your PE Teacher is a retard. The 'smaller weights more times' meme is a lie told to fat and lazy people to make them think they're fit when they can move a 1 lb weight 1000 times.

Whats best for you is figuring out what level you're at, striving for the next step, getting there, and then striving for the one after that. You have to keep pushing your limit.

K. My initial advice then still stands.

Start small. Start simple. When you're bored of the 20s, THEN start thinking about dropping 50 bucks a month on a gym membership.

When you say it that way, I suppose it could be true.

No idea what posts are yours, but thanks for your help.

So if we wrap it up, if I start excercising with the 15s AND I keep doing so, I will see a little, tiny something in a month. Or atleast feel it.

>Don't get me wrong, I have it every now and then, but is there anything about it that makes it, I don't know, more "valuable"?
Well, nothing neccessarily. Its just good carb source. Thats it
>Oh I eat eggs, best thing since sliced bread. Same story with milk.
Eat like 3 eggs morning and evening. Should give you like 900 kcal alone. Add in like 500g of rice, 1l of milk and some chicken and you can easily hit 3000 kcal and get your fats and protein in. Since ur skelly, u wanna go bulking.

As far as training goes, you still have options. Do weighted dips, progress on pushups to onehanded pushups, weighted pullups, work up to pistol squats, for abs you dont even need weight.
Just find a way to go to the gym. Best thing you can do, really. If you really want to get fit, you will fucking find a way to do that.

Oh, alright then, might start eating more rice then.

Wait, pistol squats aren't a meme? I can do those, have both the stability and legs, but always thought they were more of a "cool brah" thing than anything else.

So, alright, let's say I'm doing situps, pushups, triceps dips, pistol squats and occasionally pullups. And I ordered a weight set as of now, which I'll be somehow using. Is there anything about upper body I'm neglecting?

It looks like no one mentioned the obvious.
Since your ultra skinny at the moment you can make gains doing push pull and chin -ups
I see little need to do anything else for upper body till you can manage 15-20 of each of those exercises