Ego aside, is there any reason not to use pic related and not a regular bench with a regular barebell

Ego aside, is there any reason not to use pic related and not a regular bench with a regular barebell
>in4b dumbells are better
that's not the question

Other urls found in this thread:

livestrong.com/article/76123-difference-between-bench-press-weights/
infinitelabs.com/smith-machine-barbell-press-bench-press/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i think dumbell bench is better than smith machine for range of motion and regular bench is better than both as you get range of motion and a heavy load compound

Using smith machines does not strengthen stabilizers, thus you are not reaching your true potential

dumbells are the best op

Some people can use it just fine but the fixed motion can fuck your shoulders up. Not to mention you don't work your stabilizers hardly at all compared to barbell or dumbbell.

Bench is not straight up and down naturally. Look up bench press bar path. Also no stabilization.

Just do regular bench you fucking pussy

ya sure do it you pussy you probably ego lift more on it and thats why youre asking

doesnt work stabilizers and the movement for bench isnt a straight up an down path

do regualr bench, if youre too autistic to ask for a spotter use dumbbells or do it in the squat rack with safeties

>stabilizers
Is it important if I only care about aestetics?

There is no regular bench at my gym, so I have use a smith machine for one year so far, I just wanted to know if that was a big loss but I don't have a choice.

i mean if you ever join a real gym youll have the strength to bench heavier weight than your stabilizers can handle and youll be at risk for injury

why not just join a real gym?

Is there no bench at your gym for you to use dumbbells on? like just a bench by itself?

With smith, you could actually go as heavy as you want without the fear of killing yourself, as such, you make better gains. But yea, not engaging your stabiliser is a big downside.

>without the fear of killing yourself
Someone missed that article.

stupid meme

if you get trapped under a smith machine you cant do shit, at least you can throw a barbell to the side

safest thing is a real barbell with safety pins

My 15 year old brother died benching on a smith machine

I can use dumbells but is it worth it to make the change? What are even stabilizer and why would I want to train them?
Smith machine is kinda comfy desu

>just go to another gym
mine is 5 minutes from home, I don't even know if there is a better gym at all near me

>Smith machine is kinda comfy desu
It's not comfy knowing you can only lift less weight on a real bench though

>I only care about aestetics
Why does everyone say this to justify meme lifts? Smith machine isn't going to get you any more aesthetic than a regular barbell or dumbbells, it's more dangerous, and the shitty range of motion is actually a detriment. Lift like a fuccboi if that's what works for you, but no one's going to give you support or respect for using the Smith machine. There's no reason to not get accidental strength gains when you try to lift for looks. Hell, even Zyzz did deadlifts.

Just saying that if your bench can be set at an incline, you won't have to worry about your shoulders.

Subtract 50 pounds from your bench if it's on smith.
Subtract 50 pounds from your squat and your pride if you use the pussy pad.

>he lifts for support and respect
sure buddy

What do you lift for, an anime girl?

I don't care about numbers

The real question is why aren't you interested in working your stabilisers like in pic related?

But doesn't it bother you knowing that you are lifting less because of the assisted smith machine :-/

Because I don't want to end up like that Lmao2pl8 15 year kid

>*pops*
>broken neck

welcome to Veeky Forums

>Smith machine isn't going to get you any more aesthetic than a regular barbell or dumbbells, it's more dangerous, and the shitty range of motion is actually a detriment
Explain this range of motion thing, how does it impact aestetic?
>support or respect
lmao

>pride
lmao

why would i care?

It is more dangerous to use a smith machine. If you fail a rep and can't catch the bar properly you are in trouble.

Same thing happens on a bench and you can still move the bar, push the weights off (never use collars), etc.

>why would i care?
Because you are not as strong as you would be otherwise

You don't?

Degenerate.

>how does it impact aestetic?
Why are you here? You clearly don't care about actual fitness when every response is met with "yeah but aesthetics though". Your'e going to brush of everything people say and continue to meme lift yourself into a body that, at best, looks the same as someone who lifted properly but still be weaker. Why do you only care about aesthetics to the point where you actively avoid anything that would also make you strong?

so it doesn't?

Fuck you dude. Take your aesthetics and shove them up your ass.

for posting a question on social fitness? wow dude

Quick google search gave me this

>The same 2010 study in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research mentioned earlier concludes that the regular bench press uses the medial deltoid much more than the Smith machine press. The researchers concluded that because the regular bench press works the same muscles as the Smith machine press plus more of your shoulder muscle, it's the better choice for upper-body muscle development.

from livestrong.com/article/76123-difference-between-bench-press-weights/

and this

>The results of this study suggest that athletes should consider choosing the free weight bench press over the Smith machine bench press because of its potential for greater upper-body muscular development.

from infinitelabs.com/smith-machine-barbell-press-bench-press/

So it generally seems to be better to just use free weights. I just skimmed though, go ahead and research more if you want to really determine what's best.

Nah, you are a condescending prick only responding with "lmao". Why should anyone here take you seriously.

>cant bail on a failed attemp cuz fixed bar on killer path.

Thats one reason.

rude

Stabilizer muscles/range of motion. Not sure of this, but if you use the smith a lot for benching, you'll find that you'll be able to lift less doing the regular bench

Doesn't look like he did. I'm dyel and have bigger legs than him
>inb4 fat

I love Senjougahara.

>deadlifts
>huge legs
If we were talking about squats I'd understand, but what? Ass, traps, and forearms are the benefits of deadlifts, most of the back gains are pure strength and not particularly visible.

One arm barbell bench is better than any other bench, prove me wrong. Most extreme stabilizers, higher limits than dumbbell, focus on one arm at a time so you can squeeze out extra rep.

>benching in the guillotine

>what is a safety catch

Not enough to save a 15 year old Australian.

I agree with user, you sound like an insufferable prick, you should really fuck off back to lemmit or learn how to use google. A simple “smith machine vs barbell bench” and ten minutes of reading would have been enough, but you decide to come here and ask your absolutely retarded questions, wanting to be spoonfed.
Also it doesn’t impact aesthetics so you should go right on and do your smith machine benches, hopefully you’ll fuck up your shoulders and you’ll FUCKING DIE FAGGOT

benny lmao2pl8
seriously how was that kid stuck under the bar for half an hour tho

You are a retard and you have no idea what you are talking about. DLs work your hamstrings as well as your spinal erector muscles. Maybe if you actually worked out you would know that.

>training to look good
You aren't going to look good when someone asks you to show off your strength in public and it turns out you're a weak bitch because you haven't trained your ability to stabilize free weight.

>Explain this range of motion thing, how does it impact aestetic?
A full ROM is the best way to hypertrophy your muscles. Full extension and contraction is literally step 1 for aesthetics, user.

Not OP, but I don't feel like this is something adults do.

Not if you have to throw the weights to one side, because the safety pins will keep them secured and if you manage to throw the barbell to one side, now you got the other end of the barbell in the air and you could hurt someone or yourself.

Chances are the guy is around 21 if he's posting on Veeky Forums. That's definitely an age group where people like to get drunk and party. Young guys like to participate in physical/strength contests especially when they're drunk

I like to use it for strict close grip bench, completely isolates the triceps

Bench harder benny