/FAST/ NO DAY LIKE A MONDAY EDITION

/FAST/ FASTING GENERAL

What is /fast/?
Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and fat fasting
While fasting alone is fantastic for your health, Consider doing a ketogenic in addition to become god mode

>how can I get a quick rundown? Where can I start?
dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting
dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens
youtube.com/watch?v=9idhb2aAfns

IF AND LIFTING:
leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html?

>any more info?
idmprogram.com/fed-fasted-state/
medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c
youtube.com/watch?v=PKfR6bAXr-c

>Doesn't salt make you explode?
youtube.com/watch?v=amJ-ev8Ial8

WHY YOU SHOULD BE DOING KETO:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dan8qtgQRi8

>autophagy:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/
greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise
dietdoctor.com/renew-body-fasting-autophagy
selfhacked.com/blog/autophagy-benefits-and-how-to-harness/
roguehealthandfitness.com/intermittent-fasting-boosters-autophagy-enhancers/
roguehealthandfitness.com/coffee-is-associated-with-lower-death-rates/
tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4161/auto.1.3.2017?needAccess=true

>reddit fag that did a 77 day water fast, notice how he is not 1)dead or 2)looks like a wrinkled vagina
reddit.com/r/fasting/comments/573gkb/just_completed_a_77_day_fast_ama/
PMC3106288/

>Fung talks and lectures:
youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
youtu.be/PSR82vmZ5lk
youtu.be/v9Aw0P7GjHE

Extra:
DRINK COFFEE, DRINK GREEN TEAS
sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/08/170827101750.htm
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24769862

If you have any sticky suggestions, post them and they will be included in the future

Other urls found in this thread:

keck.usc.edu/fasting-like-diet-turns-the-immune-system-against-cancer/
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4102383/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4531065/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=1407826
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

glad these threads are still a thing. IF is the most effective way for me control my urges, and eat clean. I've never been obese, but I love eating. If I try to cut without IF, I feel like I'm in a constant battle with my will power.

longer fasting is great too. hope to do a 3-5 day fast soon.

some links highlighting the work of Dr. Valter Longo:

keck.usc.edu/fasting-like-diet-turns-the-immune-system-against-cancer/
news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-triggers-stem-cell-regeneration-of-damaged-old-immune-system/
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4102383/

Which would you guys say is the best form of fasting for weight loss that doesn't include multi day water fasting?
IF, 16-8?
IF, 20-4?
"Warrior diet" that's just one meal a day?
or alternate day fasting, the whole "eat one day fast the next so on so forth"?

just dropping some info

>3 weeks of alternate-day fasting reduces body weight, body fat, and plasma insulin concentrations in both men and women while a diet of 500-600 calories on 2 of 7 days per week induces loss of abdominal fat, improves insulin sensitivity; and reduces blood pressure.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4531065/

>Fasting enhances growth hormone secretion and amplifies the complex rhythms of growth hormone secretion in man.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC329619/

I had the best luck with 18-6. 16-8 barely feels like IF, and 20-4 made it difficult to get enough protein in the 4 hour window. I did experiment with 20-4 on rest days and 18-6 on lift days. it seemed pretty doable

Did a three day recently and I swear I could feel the immune system flush

also reminder to be careful because while you get new immune cells, older ones will be killed off and you may lose immunity to some rando flus

Fasting improves your hgh, then why does my strength go down?

been doing a lot of IF as well as longer fasts like 3 days and even a week long fast. had a rough 2 weeks at work so i've been eating carbs again, before i was strictly keto. anyway it doesn't seem to have returned my hunger yet, i can happily go 20:4 without my hunger flaring up. in fact it's been months since i was last ravenously hungry. i guess the carbs are knocking me out of keto but i've been doing this IF for so long that i've trained myself for one meal a day

I'm on day four lads. I have absolutely fuck all in terms of energy.
Just getting out of bed this morning was a complete chore. Getting up out of my chair to get a glass of water is a complete chore. Life right now is a complete chore.

but all that said I'm not actually hungry at all or feel "sick".
Interesting stuff.

Who else here /weak-willed subhuman/? I keep starting a fast and caving in a day or two.

Just start off slow. No need to rush into fasting.
Do intermittent fasting, like say an easy 16:8 window for a week to get you started. Then next week you can bump it up to 18:6 or 20:4, whichever you think you can manage. Try that for a week and then once you've gotten the hang of things, see into doing 24 hour and longer fasts.

glycogen

Restarting my IF after bulking for a while. I feel so shitty after eating so much and at home (live with family) it's hard to count calories with apps. I used to be able to eat less and feel fine when i first started IF but now I eat more

How do I control my urges to eat more?
Any recommendations on places/apps/channels to find recipes for good meals?

Also any other general tips on IF, meals, etc.

>tfw fasting is all it takes to change my life entirely for the better

This user here.
I just had some cups of coffee and did a few chores and I feel 100% again. Hell I feel pretty great actually.

Daily reminder to drink your coffee, /fast/bois.

This one time I was fasting for 3 days going on 4, when out of nowhere I woke up at 2 in the morning with an obscene amount of energy and some sort of anxiety. I had a lot of energy, but no stamina. I walked my dog around the block. Went home to cool down, then walked again. A ton of energy, but I was losing my breath quickly. I couldn't stand the feeling so I made a protein shake, had a few chips and I finally felt normal again then fell asleep. Wtf happened. I've been eating 1 meal a day for almost 2 years, but this extended fast fucked me up. I have fasted for a day and 2 days with no problem...

TRIPS OF TRUTH

probably a bump in norepinepherine along with the dawn effect where your glucose lowers then suddenly spikes between 2-5am depending on the person

nothing to worry about. your body was adapting to ketosis and you were just entering the heavy ketosis stage

hey /fast/
is it normal for my heartrate to skyrocket while fasting
i'm legit doing nothing but my heartrate is super high
what gives

>want to water fast
>mother makes food for evening anyway for father
>don't want to waste the rest of food
Damn it.
Welp, guess I will have to go 22:2 IF.

You need to walk before you can run. I failed on the first 2 days 3 times before I was able to do a longer fast.

are you drinking coffee like a mad cunt?

no actually
I had one cup this morning and last night I didn't drink any coffee for a good 6+ hours before bed, yet when I was trying to sleep I noticed my heartrate was insane. it was weird
am I dying lads

I just read up on norepinephrine, that describes it a lot.
Thanks, but I will worry because I hate the thought of extra anxiety and being dependant on pills. I'm trying to stay away from the shit doctors prescribed my mom, aunt, cousin, grandma etc. for their "anxiety". Shitty genes I guess.
On a lighter note, I'm 36 hours into another fast and feel okay.

How much salt are you putting in your water? I did a TABLESPOON with every 30oz like an uninformed cunt and that made my heart nearly go nuclear

I'd say cut back on salt, if it's too bad, break fast now with something really light, then eat something a little heavier in 4-5 hours

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=1407826

reminder to eat protein and to tell vegans to eat a dick and suffer amongst themselves

I sometimes get wicked acid reflux especially towards the end of the fast. Any tips on stopping that. No proton pump inhibitors cuz I heard they kill gains. I cook my meals and don't drink not even coffee

yellow mustard is low cal enough to where it may be worth trying, depends on if you want autophagy or not

I once tried protein fasting while taking like 6g of fish oil. Day three or so my blood pressure skyrocketed and my eyes were bloodshot. Didn't go away after a couple days, so I quit.

Can someone tell me what happened/where I fucked up?

>protein fasting
nigga what

Protein-sparing modified fast (PSMF).

i usually go to the gym at 3 and break fast at 4pm

but i'm going to put off gym until later tonight
so i think i'm just going to fast through the afternoon and evening because my lifts are shit when i lift fed

If I decide to do an extended fast of say 3-5 days, how much muscle will I lose?

Surely once I'm done with the fat burning side of things I can get back to bulking up and regaining my depleted muscles due to muscle memory?

I started at 16/8 but had too much time to eat so tried OMAD but had kinda trouble to fit my daily needs within an hour, 20/4 is the sweet spot for me, I eat something light just before my job and then some real food after hour of work, works good for me. Otherwise drink coffee, filtered water, tea and Monsters Ultra

How long should my first fast be?

forever if you don't want meme 'jojo effect'

I am dumb and have bad reading comprehension, someone cliffs notes me on

>bcaa/fish oil yes no if yes when
>table salt or that weird potassium salt thing
>standard multi enough, if no what to add
>can I keep taking my dandelion root to shed water weight while sparing potassium and to better regulate whatever little digestion I'll have

thx

>filtered water
I dunno if this is correct or not but I rather get the feeling tap water might be healthier for you during an extended water-fast, seeing as how tap water tends to come with whatever minerals tap water comes with.
Drinking distilled water during a fast is a big no-no in any case. That shit will fuck you up.

>bcaa/fish oil
no
>table salt or that weird potassium salt
if you want to supplement salt while fasting, that special "pink salt" or whatever salt that comes with magnesium and other minerals is preferable to standard table salt
if you don't have it though, standard table salt might be fine by itself
>standard multi
probably no. it rather depends.
some people recommend taking a multi everyday while fasting - other people fast for a while without taking any multis and they're perfectly fine.
me personally, I stopped taking all multis during my fast because I can't handle the nausea that comes with taking vitamins on an empty stomach
>if no what to add
if you're keen on supplementing, people recommend supplementing salt, magnesium and potassium
>can I keep taking my dandelion root to shed water weight while sparing potassium and to better regulate whatever little digestion I'll have
does it have lots of calories?
I wouldn't if it has significant calories in it. just fast with water.

>I can't handle the nausea that comes with taking vitamins on an empty stomach
I don't get that usually, and am rather paranoid about deficiencies (bit OCD about that). so there is no inherent downside if I want to take it?
>does it have lots of calories?
nah, they are capsules not the actual root, I think they have like 20 calories per 100g and one capsule is barely 400mg kek

other than potential nausea, you should be fine
I wouldn't worry about taking any supplements at all though unless you're fasting for longer than say, 3 days
if it's just a 24 hour fast, just do strictly water, no need to supplement

no no I have done up to 3 days water only before, I'm talking about extended fasting here. I kinda worry about long term issues with vitamins and shit

Tap water is terrible for you mist times

t. american or third world country

well like I said, you should be fine taking a multi and supplementing the mentioned minerals while fasting. if you end getting very shaky, have an extremely high heartrate while doing absolutely nothing, and start getting severe nausea, consider to stop taking the supplements, or at least cut back on how much you're taking - with salt especially like another user here said. you probably won't need to cut it out entirely, but just reduce the amount you take

if you cut out everything and still feel like you're dying, I'd advise you to just stop the fast all together and try again say, the next week or two once your body goes back to normal

Fasting
Matthew
16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.
17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face,
18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

REMINDER JESUS TOLD YOU NOT TO LOOK PITIFUL WHILE FASTING

I have been going for 8 days now, it's physically impossible not to look a bit fucky (although I generally feel fine, just sayin)

hm ok, I'll see how I'll manage. thanks!

PROTIPS ABOUT FASTING
Stay active.
Walk around a lot. Do your chores. Have an ump in your step. If you stay a lazy couch potato or just sit on your ass all day, fasting will be tremendously harder for you than not.
I dunno why this is, but for some reason the more active you are during a fast - the more energy you have. So be active. I'm not talking about exercising here mind you, just don't sit on your ass 24/7.

DRINK YOUR COFFEE, BLACK, NO ADDITIVES
It fucking helps, trust me. Even if you don't drink coffee, consider drinking at least a cup in the morning. You'll feel amazing and supposedly it helps with something called autophagy.

ABOUT EXERCISING
Do it, but do it lightly. You won't be gaining any muscle while fasting, and working out will be harder than if you weren't fasting. Simply do some light exercises to keep your muscles "active", so to speak. No PRs here, just keep your muscles alert. You'll very likely lose some muscle mass while fasting, but it'll be an extremely minimal amount and no more. You'll make back the loss very quickly regardless once you break the fast.

Meditate, meditating while fasting is incredibly easy and makes you have full control over how you express yourself

I actually do, I just have an innate habit of looking pretty strung out at huge deficits (which fasting essentially is, too), always was like that, even if I felt good otherwise. Maybe I'm just ugly lmao

will I overdo it if I IF 20:4 or 22:2 and PSMF in the eating window? I need muh protons but I also need as much fat loss as I can get without outright water fasting (which I tried but was not able to make work).

That Top 5 mistakes video should be removed, it's misinformation, you don't lose a fasted state from some cream in your coffee, it's like a seesaw, the longer you fast the further you go to one side, the more you eat the further you go to the other.

Same goes for BCAAs, they don't break your fast but what I still want to know is if they even work, I'm too scared of losing my gains not to drink them doing 20/4 IF but I don't even know if they're necessary honestly. Actual academic research seems to suggest they do though I'm not sure the supplements do what the research suggests BCAAs themselves would.

I'm 20 hours into my fast, my intention is to do 32/16. I'm still not craving food but I'm starting to feel a slight headache. Should I be taking something or this normal? I've only had a couple of cups of green tea.