Potsherd roads

I hear the Yoruba people made roads out of pottery because their queen didn't like walking in mud how far wide spread was the usage of pottery roads

Attached: tumblr_inline_nc3rvyslUj1qlbiit.jpg (480x270, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.ca/books?id=-U70Ts7CgEYC&pg=PA85&hl=fr#v=onepage&q&f=false
historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/71640-potsherd-pavements-ile-ife.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Goddamn, you didn't listen to my tips???

DON'T MAKE A THREAD ABOUT ONE SINGLE THING IF IT DOESN'T LET US ENOUGH SPACE TO DISCUSS AND THIS IS BORING.

Excuse me, I was too impulsive.

You're talking about postsherds roads in general not just in ile-ife, sorry.

No Ile-Ife was an exception.

Ile-Ife might the only places where there is this style of roads.

Apparently ancient potsherd pavements were strong enough to withstand human-traffic, more so than replicated examples of contemporary pavements, which implying that a higher quality of pottery was manufactured by the Yoruba in Ife and other-city states than today, being better fired. Potsherd pavements covered almost all of Ile-Ife in its prime, and were also found in Great Benin, much of Yoruba land, and even Togo and the modern state of Benin.

Cool idea. Did this exist outside of Nigeria?

>Potsherd pavements covered almost all of Ile-Ife in its prime, and were also found in Great Benin, much of Yoruba land, and even Togo and the modern state of Benin.

why the fuck do you make this thread all the time?

No one cares about medieval African roads

It was inefficient. The Europeans and Arabs were doing roads better for thousands of years prior.

Is this the same OP that creates 20 sub sahara african threads a day? What are you trying to prove man? Go shill somewhere else

Hate to break it too you but the Romans had concrete roads almost 2,000 years earlier. Nice try though.

Attached: 1241245.jpg (1231x808, 275K)

So what? Did anyone claim that they had roads earlier?
It's not a dick size challenge mate, nobody compared nobody with Rome.

>Culteral marxist revisionism

Not even once.

Literally who cares? Using sharp pottery for roads that will cut your feet sounds dumb.

I'm a conservative, but good straw man.

Is was hardened smooth pottery of a higher grade the found today

by all counts nimrod was a black king but then again nimrod was the founder of the masons today
not something to be proud of best is can see an evil man.

Trying turn everything into a dick measuring contest

>Someone said something good about Africa that I can't disprove using arguments
>Political straw man.

You are not better than an Afrocentrist I debated 2 hours ago.

Him :

- Beethoven was not black
- RACIST!!!

You :
- - CULTURAL MARXIST! LEFTIST!

How does it feel to know that you've the intellectual level of someone who believe that Beethoven was Black?

Why are you trying so hard to defend Africa? You don't have to pretend.

Nobody care about nimrod, you are on the wrong thread and you're off topic

I don't try to defend Africa, I just want to have a normal discussion.

This was like what, the 1700s? Thats not Impressive at all. Less then 200 years later and Europeans already had cars and planes

Ile-Ife is XIIe-XVe

"The significance of potsherd pavements in Ife is such that scholars tend to divide the city's history into the pre and post-pavement periods, with the latter beginning after 1000AD."

No the date from around 800 A.D. to 1000 A.D. and the raid system was completed around the 11th century

Literally who cares about these latecomers. Egypt and Greece had stone roads 5,000 years before that.

It's not a dick measuring contest so stop trying to make it into one also the region was settled until much later

You don't have to pretend you find it fascinating just because you feel sorry for them.

I'm not I just find it interesting how different parts of the world developed

Nobody pretend and nobody is sorry for anyone. It's like saying in a thread about European firearms "who cares, China had firearms before, stop pretending because you feel sorry for them"

Look up the ancient Rome. Its 1000x more interesting. Thank me later

>ancient potsherd pavements were strong enough to withstand human-traffic, more so than replicated examples of contemporary pavements

But some people find this uninteresting.

I will look ancient Rome in a thread related to ancient Rome, here nobody talk about ancient Rome because it's not the subject.

Yeah what the fuck happened ? Did the get Zerg rushed?

autism

any further reading on that?
t. materials scientist

There is some measures and analysis.

Why didn't they fill inbetween the pots? Lazy?

what page does it talk about strength vs contemporary pavements on?

The Yoruba in general were an interesting bunch they alone completely changed European perspective on african art

Attached: Ife crowned heads.jpg (750x562, 56K)

That's just a old worn part of the road

That has to be the dumbest thing Ive ever heard of. You use pots for storage and food. What the fuck even is the point of making them if you are just going to smash them and throw the pieces on the ground. This is why European civilizations prospered, we think before doing things.

>We should start making pots to just break them and use as roads even though its five million times more expensive and the shards will puncture tires.

Attached: 33.png (645x729, 90K)

Completely missed the rest of the discussion

Attached: 1507078056361.png (657x539, 110K)

These roads a relatively smooth and such

There is not a single good reason for why you would use pots for roads. Literally just put down some gravel and traffic will harden it over time. Who cares if its "strong enough to withstand human traffic" when you can find easier ways to do that.

p. 86

Huh cool

Gravel wasn't available in west africa so the mixed soil potsherd clay to make roads

That was the easiest way to do it in that region

Tbh, the paragraph "Apparently... withstand.." I posted is from:

historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/71640-potsherd-pavements-ile-ife.html

But they talk about it p. 86, apparently it's modern POT.

This premise is getting retarded.
Civilizations and their development are important to a historian and especially to a ponderer of humanities.
Fuck Egypt greece rome and the large famous ones we all already know about.
Your statement literally means fuck all.

That's why I prefer Gaule history to Roman history, as a French, it help me to understand my country. I don't care if Roman were more advanced than Celts.

more so than replicated examples of contemporary pots*

The historum post this paragraph is from made a mistake, sorry.

It's all good man

Attached: 4cf60fbf756b179d3cd20f594e3b8ad0.jpg (500x358, 233K)

It's nice to learn something about the world beyond that learn something about alternative developement of civilization