Im beginning to take up Judo again after a long break due to an injury...

Im beginning to take up Judo again after a long break due to an injury. Im going to be training Judo 3x a week along with lifting. Will it affect my recovery? Will I have to change up my routine (4 day upper lower)?

Anyone else here to martial arts while also focusing on "bodybuilding"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JKczdB3tiDY
instagram.com/p/BaIkxaqnUJu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no, you are retarded.
bodybuilding will make you shit at every fucking endurance/combat sport ever

why? I dont mean legit bodybuilding as in cutting down to competition bodyfat levels etc.

I mean lifting and eating to build a physique

I trained in boxing/thai/TKD for 4 yrs but I've since stopped for over 3 years.

I've wanted to judo for a long time without any prior grappling experience.

Please tell me all about judo in as much detail as you care to give. What you like about it, how being strong/tall affects performance..

Judo is really great honestly, I suggest you check it out.
Idk how much I can really tell you, Im not an expert by any means. I trained sambo and judo for about 5 years but I was a kid and had to stop in high school cuz I hurt my knee. Regardless, its a beautiful sport and the throws are a lot of fun. Technique is more important than strength, but you'd be surprised how much strength can actually translate, and how much of a crutch it can be vs amateurs (not a good thing to rely on if you plan on competing though). Core strength is really important tho, as is flexibility.
Strength from squats and deadlifts in particular can translate to a lot of throws. Check this out youtube.com/watch?v=JKczdB3tiDY

Thanks, I will look into it more. The only thing im worried about is getting my spine seriously fucked from throws.. but I guess the breakfall shit is there for a reason

yeah youre gonna have to learn to fall for sure, but its not too hard. dont take my word for it but afaik most back injuries occur from people who compete seriously and dont want to be disqualified by ippon by landing flat on their back in competitions.

It'll affect your body the same way any high intensity cardio activity will. Adjust your calories.

You definitely still want to lift, strength/fitness is useful not just for technique but also to prevent injuries. The next time some stupid white belt tries to tangle up your leg and wrench it by force you're gonna be glad you can do a 2pl squat.

Joint injuries are the biggest risk from judo

Not judo but I lift 4 times a week and started bjj recently. It's a new stimulus to me and my conditioning isn't the best, so I'm noticing I might have to ease up on the assistance and volume on lifting, at least for now. Feeling kinda beat up and not able to recover over time.
We have some judo black belts in the club too though, they're cool. Definitely keep doing your squats and deads, and maybe add some oly variations like power cleans or hang cleans. I've also started doing zercher deadlifts.

What's your routine for scheduling judo and gym?
I'm running into issues with scheduling gym and rock climbing in that if I climb I don't really have much strength left to lift.

Do you treat judo as a gym day or just gym the same days regardless and judo whenever?

I got pretty lucky with the scheduling, I lift Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and the bjj is Tuesday and Thursday (with Sunday being a more optional day), so it fit right in.
I don't do anything else (except work manual labor ;_;) so I don't really have to think about it. If I feel really beat up I'll do a bit less in the gym, but still get the big compounds done. I do 5/3/1.

Donno about "bodybuilding" but I lift 5-6 times a week along with conditioning 5-6x a week while training judo 2x a week. I'm also on gear so......

Hey I just started judo today!

practices are wed/fri and I think I'm going to be lifting fri (before practice)/sun/tues

it's probably best to have a day of rest after practice to let your body recover

>judo
>bjj
>muay thai
>taekwondo
all the memes in one thread again.
awesome.

Judo vs Japanese Jiu Jitsu?

Sorry we'll start doing pencak silat, sumo, kuk sool won or mizongyi instead. That obsure enough for you?

>names more memes
lol what a faggot

The only non-meme fighting style is pipebomb

Google it you fuckstick

jesus look at how he fakes those kicks
amazing

>Olyimpic judo
Thanks ijf

>combat sport
lol

what is good martial arts to get into
im lifting for one year, prior to that i was sedentary fuck, with occassional cardio

im 25 6'1 with 6'7 wingspan, lanky proportions

boxing.

become a deadlift champion

not going to lie
my dl was easy 2pl8 first time i walked into gym with shit form, Stiff leg deadlift

6months later i did 180kg (and i injured myself once slightly half way through) for single, double overhand (thanks skeletal fingers)

Right now im recomping and not chasing sqyat / dl numbers so much, more presses which i suck at

Youd make a fantastic swimmer

instagram.com/p/BaIkxaqnUJu/

DL more! u can do it!

How do they train their necks in judo? They all have thicc necks like in wrestling too.

can one get into swimming as a 25 yo tho
its seems like one of sports that you need to do from young age?

Dont think i would be competetive at it anyway, so it doesnt apply.

i know the guy

i have kinda similar leverage, it takes years to develop such dl (and your spine to tolerate the loads) Cailer was dling over 4pl8 when he was 16

theres vid on yt, he looks like a spider

We used to do very basic neck exercises in BJJ which I didn't think were very effective
>laying down, nodding motion
>laying down, shaking your head
>laying down, moving your head side to side
We would do around 20 reps, I hardly felt them but maybe if you manage to weight down your head they'd do something
Like that one guy from Kinnikuman
Damn I'll never been able to find it but there was a brief montage about his neck exercises and there was a silly one called Pendulum or something lol

>>laying down, nodding motion
>>laying down, shaking your head
>>laying down, moving your head side to side
absolute meme shit

active judoka here , just do a full body workout 2 times a week with compound movements , eg bench , pull ups , rows , dips ,squats and you will be fine

My entire fitness journey started back in 2010 when I began practicing muay thai, I started lifting late in 2011 because I saw the physical gains I was making quickly plateau, there's only so much you can do with bodyweight exercises and circuit based routines in training.
I've always focused on a powerlifting type routine in the gym, and while it increased my strength immensely I also saw a significant drop in speed and flexibility. I now also practice yoga almost daily and put a lot more emphasis on speed and economy of movement when striking.
For those who train in martial arts and also lift, my personal recommendation would be to stretch, stretch, stretch. Specifically static stretching should always be done AFTER exercise, not before.
If your martial arts instructor(s) do not include a lot of stretching (as many don't) I would recommend attending yoga classes for a couple of months, pay attention and learn.

Ref obviously throwing a telekinetic karate chop, bad sportsmanship