Anyone here take antipsychotics?

I always read about people putting on 50+ pounds on this stuff. Also I've read that it can cause gyno and make you a zombie.

I don't know what to do. If I got gyno I'd probably kill myself desu. The only good thing about me is my flat chest.

I have to take this stuff but I don't want to. Anyone actually made gains on antipsychotics or did you just get fat?

>be 6'0 200 lb lift
>get on antipsychotics
>balloon up to 280 within months
answer is yes

Yeah, I can confirm that Risperdal has that effect. I just started taking a mood stabilizer/antipsychotic 4 months ago, and I went from 225lbs at 6'2 to 255lbs. Now my lifts did also go up- my deadlift went from 490-540, squat went from 370-410, and sadly bench stayed the same at 300.

Most of them mess with blood sugar. Basically gives you type-2 diabetes. This is why people gain weight.

Don't take em but just finished my psychiatry rotation so I hope I can chime in.

Antipsychotics work by dampening down your dopamine pathways in your brain, unfortunately dopamine is what also regulates/stops prolactin release from your brain. Its normally this loss of inhibition on prolactin which can result in the Gyno.

Antipsychotics are split up into 1st generation and 2nd generation depending mainly on their side effects.

1st generation Antipsychotics:
> Haloperidol, Flupentixol, Chlopromazine

Lack the metabolic side effects i.e. weight gain, gyno etc.... But unfortunately have a tendency to produce movement disorders when taken for a long time i.e. involuntary twitches, hard time moving limbs.

Second generation Antipsychotics
>Risperidone, Olanzapine, Clozapine, Quetiapine and Aripiprazole

These thankfully get pass the movement disorder side effects but have a higher incidence of metabolic side effects i.e. Weight gain, Gyno etc.. Within the class itself there differences in the rate of side effects. Some are very bad offenders with side effects (Risperidone) while others are not so much.
From what I can tell Aripiprazole is among the safest out of them (often called the psychiatrists personal antipsychotic) due to the fact that it has such a low incidence of these side effects.

In short, different drugs different side effects. I think the best thing to do is discuss with your doctor about which ones to take if you have to and discussing changing medication if you don't particularly enjoy one.

took rispderdal for few weeks ended up with face twitching also gained weight

Let me tell you this if you haven't figured it out yet. STOP TAKING RISPERIDONE!!!!!

Its most common side effect is gyno. It gave me gyno, and i was only on it for a month or two til i fucking quit. I have got bad news for you
>you gonna have some joocy tiddies

im on clozapine and gained weight and gyno on it. keto seems to work for the weight though, ive lost most of the weight i gained (keto also helped a lot of my negative symptoms go away, its pretty good)

consume 0 refined sugar or alcohol on in this shit , otherwise you will gain a fuckload.

t. gained 100 lbs

yeah definitely take psychiatric advice from this guy

Solid advice desu. You can do whatever the fuck you wanna do, but taking this shit will fuck you up. Face your problems like a real human bean

I took aripiprazole (Abilify) and didn't have any weight-related side effects. My dose was low, however, something like 5mg/day.

I did a bit of research on this. What you should be worried about is how bad it is for your heart. My resting heart rate is about 110, I was running for a couple months, I managed to get it down to around 100 bpm. As far as gyno, that's only in 2% of people who take it, and only if you start taking it as a teenager.

I've been taking resperidone for three years, and I don't have gyno. I don't like being dependant on medication to function, but I need to take them as I'm schizophrenic. Think of it this way, a diabetic needs to take insulin, you likely need to take antipsychotics.

>my resting heart rate is 110
>only got it down to 100

What the fuck go see a cardiologist unless you are like 300lbs

Holy fuck thank you for this thread OP. Im on 450mg of quietiapine and i have nipples like pepperonis. Fuck. Its also causing me to hold significant water around my moobs and stomach. Im coming off the fucking things, no wonder im so self conscious, i just assumed i was low test. I probably am low test as well. The doctor didnt tell me of the side effects. What cunts.

Whenever i come off the antipsychotics i feel like im going to die, like alcohol withdrawal. Whats the best way to come off these fucking things? Would doing steroids help with the moobs since it will raise my test?

My problem is that i have a genetic predisposition to have psychotic mental breakdowns. How do i "face" this? Its not enviornmental. I just have shit genes. God dammit.

Inb4
>hurr durr fat people say they have fat genetics, being fat is exactly the same as having schitzo affective disorder, stop talking to people in your head

I cant function without the meds, and when im on the meds i feel disgusted with myself and hide away. JUST.

Why the fuck are you all taking antipsychotics? Is Veeky Forums full of people with schizophrenia?

A website which attracts male 20 something shut-ins has a higher incidence of diseases which affect male 20 something shut-ins.

Who'da thunk?

Olanzapine for 5+ years here, stopped them completely early august this year. They dont increase your weight, its your will power to not eat more. Though they will decrease your test, libido, mood and various other things. They will make you extremely foggy as well, it will be like you are running off 20% of your potential in everything you do. Fuck them, live with your psychosis and manage it without meds, they will ruin your life

Took risperdal as a kid because I had anger issues, it sapped me of motivation and made me docile, was a chubby kid because of it.

I was on that shite for 2 years after a psychotic breakdown. Don't get me wrong, it was necessary at the time, but after a while of losing weight and exercising, I found my head was clearer and eventually with my doctor's blessing I tapered it off slowly then quit it completely.

Feel better since and haven't looked back. Still get the delusional thoughts and voices, but I ignore them for the most part - but to be fair, I still got those even when I was on the antipsychotics. I think being aware of your own head at all times is key to managing it. That being said, what worked for me might not work for others.