/running/

Sup Veeky Forums,

If you had to run a 5k today, how fast would you be able to run it?

You must be new here.

Nobody on Veeky Forums actually runs and I highly doubt many here are even capable of finishing a 5k.

Try /sp/ to ask people who are actually in good shape.

dont wanna kill my gains sorry

Slowly, my cardio is shit

wow i'm sorry, but that is just pathetic.

a 5k should be do-able for any normal human male in decent shape

It would probably take me 30 minutes to do one because I don’t do cardio. If you gave me 3 months to train I could run it in 20 minutes easily. If you gave me 6-12 months I could do it close to 15 minutes. If there is one thing I’m good at is endurance running.

>train 6-12 months
>could do it close to 15 minutes

so you're telling me that given a year of training or less, you could run a 5k at a near-world record pace?

Doing C25K right now, just finished week 1.

If I had to guess, probably 35 minutes right now.

Really wanna get it sub-20 though.

5k miles or km?

anyway i've run 5000m in 25minutes once which is my record

now I run about 4km in 20mins or something more

but in my defense i've been a heavy smoker and drinker sfor 8 years and only started 2 years ago so im slowly making progress

DNF

I PR'd yesterday on the track. 18:42.

If you can't run you're subhuman desu

same.
maybe 30-40 minutes? idk man.

>3 minutes a kilometer
You're insane. If your cardio is shit you would take an hour to run 5.

I'm doing C25K right now, so by the time I finish, 30 minutes or so.

The training is actually going a lot easier than I thought. I've yet to have a session that really slays me. I'm tired as hell after most, but I feel energetic and happy after all my runs.

I had a 2 mile run yesterday, and it was nothing at all. I wanted to see if I could keep going but I didn't want to stray from the plan.

15 minutes is nowhere near the world record kiddo.

That time wouldn't even win the state meet in a high school cross country race.

Agree - no way he gets that progression. But people always think running is easier than it is.

what spots do you guys pick to run? how do you pick your route? do you start at your front door?

I have a few routes that start at my front door good for weekday workouts. On weekends I will typically drive somewhere to run a route through a forest or along the oceanside or something.

I start at my front door and just go through my neighborhood. It's exactly 5k to the local library and back, so I just use that as my reference.

I've been running about 26 minutes for 3 miles in training, so probably 22 minutes.

This is my first week running in years though, my pr is 17:24

how is the surface? concrete? asphals?

30 minutes

I suck at running

ok pal

>If you had to run a 5k today, how fast would you be able to run it?
my fastest would be about 22 minutes... really only been running for about half a year. used to be about 30

probably 24-25 minutes. I run 3-4 miles a few times a week at around that pace, although always after lifting

Sidewalks/streets

No joke theres a faggot I just busted trying to break into peoples cars here including mine, I just chased his ass up the street but couldn't keep up. How can I improve my cardio.

26 to less than 25 minutes depending on if I'm fasted or not. 3 months ago I was outside 30 minutes, or unable to run the whole 5km.

>tfw recovering fatass

it does if the course isn't flat

what material

Even on a hilly course the winner almost always goes sub 15

my current pb is 17:02

I dunno, 20-30 minutes, what are the circumstances?

Wanna see if any runners could give insight on this.

On my run today, I had a pain in my left foot that left me walking half my course. The pain is around the area where I circled. It's also forced me to limp, and also occurs when I stand.

MILES OR KILOMETERS?????

DONT TELL ME AMERICANS RUN 20% MORE IN THE SAME FUCKING TIME

I've had this pain, can you walk normally after workout? Because that shit took me out for 2 months. I've had this pain two times.

As of right now, I'm feeling the pain, which a beer is help making manageable and letting me walk normally. Before it, I was pretty much limping. Should I see a doctor about it, or should I just take a break from running?

see

Concrete? I don't fucking know bro, it's whatever a sidewalk is made of.

If you're trolling me this is some next level shit.

concrete is very hard compared to asphalt and it's rather bad to run on, no matter what you're shoes are.

Thats why i'm asking

Asphalt/tarmat i dont know american name but concrete is usually the stuff they make houses from. Well not american houses because those are wood but you know like normal houses

If you still feel pain after 5 days then i think you should go, it might go over itself, but it probably wont. Apply some ice gel aswell.

A stupid question but, I shouldn't run for the time being, should I?

I think you wont be able to run, that's the problem.

I ran 5km on saturday, got 22:57

Off season soccer player.

Anything sub 25 means youre in decent shape.

around 25-26min

Probably just over 30 minutes, sadly. At least it'd be down from the 33 minutes I had in high school.

Last time I did that took me a bit over 30mins.

I should actually do fast paced 5k today. Got 10k race coming up next weekend anyways.

33 minutes in high school?? How fat are you.

Have only once run a 5K, did it in just over 22 minutes, was practically dying when getting to the goal though

I usually run 5k for warmup on the treadmill. I start at 11km/h and work my way up from there. Im usually done in about 26 minutes.

Sry, my fastest time was around 23 minutes.

Dont ever make a mistake like that again you piece of shit.

I would have to hobble it
4-6 weeks recovery time is a lie

On a fast course, maybe 21 or 22? Been a while since I've done a timed 5k.

Recently I've been branching into other kinds of cardio like swimming and machines to give my knees a break.

By running, ya fuckin goof

My PR Is 16:41
Fastest mile is 4:20:58
>division 3 cross country n track

>5k miles or km?
>anyway i've run 5000m
goddamn americans

It says 5k in op. I seriously doubt he meant 5000 miles

5km now ? 26,27 minutes
When i reached my peak, 20,21 minutes

Getting ready for a boxing match so I haven't been running solely for speed but rather for distance

I'd probably finish between 25 minutes (my record) and 33 minutes which is what it took me when I ran one without training, could keep a steady pace and probably have a conversation while doing it tho

Probably like 16:30, I was decent in high school but I'm in slightly worse shape now and not training specifically for that distance.

25 mins give or take.

5k every other day for maximum ottermode.

4 years ago i did 3km in 10 mins and 30sec. :)
5k probably like 25-26minutes though now. :P
Got 20kg more mass to drag around:c

Today I did 10km in 59:30. I've never tried to get a pr of 5km but I'd guess in the 27 minutes range. 29 yo, 205lbs 5'10.

Captcha road 01.8

buy hoka one ones

between 25 and 30 minutes

>tfw this nigger is running at mach 15 and I can't even break the speed of sound

Is stretching and warming up before a run necessary or just a waste of time?

22-25 min at the moment.

Not that guy but I just bought Hoka Arahi
Pretty good, took some adjusting to

I ran today for the first time. I did about a kilometer at a fairly decent pace but then I got quite winded and didn't feel like I could continue.

I don't think I could do 5k without walking portions of it right now.

I did cross country running in high school and could run a 22 minute 5k now I could probably do one in about 25

>I've been running about 26 minutes for 3 miles in training, so probably 22 minutes

user....
A 5k is about 3.2 . If it takes you 26 minutes to run 3 miles, it'll probably take you 27 to run a 5k.

>all these post 25 minute times
pathetic desune
18:30 here.

The first time I did cardio since high school(6 years) I ran 4k in 25 minutes, by the third session I did 5k in 25 minutes. I told you, if there is anything Im good at its long distance running. This is after being an ex smoker, and after doing drugs like mdma and coke once a month for a couple years. There is no doubt I could run a 17 minute 5k if you gave me a year to train for it. Dont talk shit just because you are a v02maxlet. If it makes you feel better Ive been lifting for 6 months and only lift 120/170/220/250 lbs for the big lifts. everyone is good at something.

Its 3.1 and my runs are at 70% maximum exertion.

If you'd ever run a day in your life you would know that.

Today? I am off my peak, so maybe 19:00.

Okay kiddo, let me know what Dunning-Kruger says after you actually train for 12 months.

Is it a sharp pain? Does it feel like it is between two bones, or is it more of a ligament thing? I have a mortons neuroma which is near that area.

MEME SHOES. More cushion doesn't mean it is going to solve your problems. Fix your form and get kinvaras if you're neutral.

The only decent pace is one that you can hold for a long time. Don't push yourself too hard or too fast, bro. We're rooting for you.

Stretching before? Generally no. Stretching tears your muscles, and those tears cause you to lose strength. There is a meme called "dynamic stretching" where you do things like high knees, and butt kicks. You could try that. Stretching after your run? Maybe.

Personally, I run to warm up for running, and I run to cool down. If I have an hour to train, I'd rather spend the hour running instead of 45 minutes running with 15 minutes of stretching. Also, consider a foam roller or stick for recovery.

There's a reason you always warm up and then stretch before track practice, et al. Warming up muscles and then stretching is always the best way to avoid injury.

Static or dynamic? You don't need a massive range of motion or flexibility to run. If you need to stretch in order to run, I think there are other massive problems going on.

Cushion will make up for a lot of bad form. Trust me. Try some Hoka's before you knock them.

I ran in hokas for a year before i developed a morton's neuroma - probably unrelated. Kinvaras are lighter and faster, plus improving your form is better in the long run than using a meme shoe.

Any decent coach will have you jog and then do dynamic stretches. Flexibility is always core to athletics and avoiding injury. You don't need flexibility for the common range of athletic motion, but for when something happens beyond the normal range; the athlete that has stretched will survive without injury where the other will not.

When I was in HS I did a 6k in 33 minutes and I was way less fit than I am now. So I dunno,

is running barefoot a meme?

>but for when something happens beyond the normal range
What does this mean? Don't trip?

Nobody runs here, but I think maybe I could do 5k in 22 minutes. I used to run when I was a skinny kid though.

Any contact sport would be an obvious example, where a tackle in football could lead to a sprained or torn ligament, or nothing if the athlete had stretched habitually. But even the non contact sports like track and field; hyper extension is common especially in the field events like triple jump, which can be countered by proper stretching.

Yes

And for long distance runners?

warm up and do dynamic stretches man. Just don't hold them static for ages. Stretch them through the motions they will be going through and slightly beyond.

I used to win all the long distance runs in primary and high school. Stopped running for 3 years after. Picked it up again about 6 months ago.
My best so far was 19m for 5k, but that 5k was part of a longer run.

For reference the world record for 5k is sub 13 minutes. So 18-20 minutes should be achievable for anyone barring a medical condition, given the dedication to training.

Im currently in my 7th week of C25K so Ill be running 5k soon. Im really started to enjoy LISS but I also wanna do HIIT along with 5 days of lifting. How can I incorporate all this without affecting the other? I always hear people choosing one form of cardio over the other but is it feasible to do both?

Back in high school cross country my record was 15:48. I ran briefly in college but I could never beat my high school time. If I ran today I bet i could get a 19:30. I really want to get back in shape so i can at least run around a 17:30 5k and start winning some prize money from fun runs and shit

How do you guys check your pace when you're running outside?
Is there an app that gives you information when you're under a certain pace?

Strava is pretty good. Nike also has an app

>I don't do cardio
>If there is one thing I'm good at is endurance running
lmao what

buy a GPS watch

>tfw want to go out for my nightly run but there's a police helicopter flying around right now

considering it's 3am they'll probably think i'm a robber or whoever they're looking for