Is Epicureanism the Veeky Forums philosophy?

Is Epicureanism the Veeky Forums philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

diogn.es
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscular_Christianity
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No stoicism is

>stoicism
Explain

Im an Eleatic

No Evolan Traditionalist Fascism is

>Stoicism teaches the development of self-control and fortitude as a means of overcoming destructive emotions

yep this

Thank you for reminding me I have a philosophy test tomorrow.

Yes. Veeky Forums just can't wait to cut off a chicken's head in a ritual to find the new Priest King of the Imperium.

Stoicism breh

As most Anons are saying, Stoicism.

Epicurus would be closer to /out/ or /run/ threads, in that they enjoy more minimal pleasures/abstain from excess (although, considering it's part of a runner's diet, this is debatable).

Personally, i feel that Kant's Idealism is most compelling.

>We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Jesus christ, fuck off try-hard. Are you in the midst of philosophy 101?

Woah man, I think your roid rage is getting to you.
>Double Major
>One of those degrees is in Philosophy
Your shitty, contemporary fringe books probably don't have anything of value in them outside of nose-in-air pretentiousness anyways.

Come on brehs

After you realise that we humans are not "designed" to understand the universe (Absurdism) being happy seems to be the only thing that matters. I seek happines through Stoicism.

So yeah, it's pretty much
>Absurdism + Stoicism

Reading Material
Absurdism:
>The Myth of Sisyphus
Stoicism:
>Enchiridion of Epictetus

>Your shitty, contemporary fringe books probably don't have anything of value in them outside of nose-in-air pretentiousness anyways.

"I am very smart."

>>Your shitty, contemporary fringe books probably don't have anything of value in them outside of nose-in-air pretentiousness anyways.

>"I am very smart."

"I'm so self-conscious that I sling insults on the internet to cover up for my overall lack of knowledge or intelligence."

Based Diogenes.

But really, stoicism (and the Stoics) is a cuck philosophy.
Coming to think of it, it suits Veeky Forums, as most of them lift to get over
>her

Projecting

You started it.

Projecting

Yeah everyone is a stoicist or a epicureanism until they actually have real problems like a closer familiar dying or else

then they realize that being calm and good is something useful for productivity and other people, because they feel their world is under control while yours actually just got wrecked and no normie bullshit will change it (jobs, hobbies, etc, all meaningless shit compared to the life of your loved ones)

the only real philosophy is being mindful of death and living passionately for your loved ones, ascetism only makes other people think you are cool with life while you just rot inside forever

Epictetus calls us to acknowledge that our close ones will die and to regard such tragedies as their deaths in the same way we react to other people when their loved ones died. I'm unsure as to whether or not he talked of how difficult such things would be, but it's an ideal to strive for as someone that considers themselves stoics

Help a brainlet out Veeky Forums

What's the difference between Buddhism and Stoicism? Are they compatible? Both seem compelling.

>and to regard such tragedies as their deaths in the same way we react to other people when their loved ones died.

hahahaha, good luck on that, you will quickly if that happens to you how different it's have your own loved one (sibling, parent, etc) die compared to just someone you knew

you will quickly realize*

ironically epicurus had so little relationships that the few ones he had he valued it immensely, he actually spoke really passionate about friendship compared to his other musings, it really shows how much of a masquerade his thinking was compared to his real thinking about life and death

Like I said, it's something to strive for that won't be easy. I'll do my best when shit like this happens, but we're only human

Stoicism says you should care for family and friends.

It's not ascetism.

It will happen anyway, what do you propose?

You can only mourn so long, and besides that's for yourself and not them.

Well, not any of the former anons, but I have a question here.
My mother died 2 years ago. She was literally like my best friend. But when she died I didn't really care.
I just focused on how to help my family not fall apart without her. I can easily see my family and loved ones dying, and I don't feel anything.

Am I just autistic or? Maybe I should try to focus on Stoicism since it'll help me not sperg over unimportant shit

This

everyone that losses a close one mourns for years or even decades, and it isn't that you actually get over it, you just get triggered less and less because life goes on, but if you start remembering what happened you get wrecked fast

I had the same reaction for almost a year because i had to take care about everything, but once everything got settled i got fucked up fast

it really depends on how death happened though, if it was a long terminal illness or something that came out of nowhere,

Epicurus is pretty Veeky Forums-tier. Basically the SS meme existed 2000 years ago. I can't find the exact quote, but he argued that as an athlete you should have broad shoulders, not just big legs.

Sorry, I meant Epictetus, not Epicurus.

Actually, I am thankfully not self-conscious. I simply saw your initial comment and could not believe some could try so hard and be so pretentious. And to address your "lack of knowledge or intelligence" compliment -- not that I need to brag or prove anything, but I graduated (with honors) from an ivy with a degree in philosophy, have an MA in bioethics, and am currently in law school. While I certainly do not mean to imply that I am "smarter" than you, or that I know anything (because like our buddy Socrates said, the only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing), I certainly am not making baseless claims on the internet. However, I stand by my initial post in saying that your comment was pretentious and was oozing with your "try-hard" nature.

Doesnt stoicism tell people they should be content where they are? Like a shit shoveler should be happy to do his shit shoveling job for society? And it was basically invented by an emperor? Sound like a convenient philosophy for someone in a comfortable spot in life to believe in compared to a ditch digger getting paid jack shit and having a bad time

This pic is the exact opposite of stoicism tho.

I think it's pretty damn relevant for all these fuckers today saying they have 'depression'.

No it wasn't invented by an emperor, though Marcus Aurelius was a stoic. Epictetus was a crippled former slave.

The way I interpreted it is that it teaches you that you can be content where you are. Stuff like a shit job was referred to as a dispreferred indifferent, while being rich would a preferred indifferent. You can strive for more preferred indifferents as long as you keep your virtues and do not go against "nature." It was also taught that you have to recognize that your lot in life is largely out of your control, shit happens, and that's why we should learn to be content regardless of our circumstances, for we'd never be unhappy.

what does marcus aurelius fall under?

Buddhism has to do more with religious beliefs -- that there is a collective unconscious, that we reincarnate, etc.

Stoicism also has to do with spirituality, but essentially comes down to being able to maintain a manly character and experiencing constant internal contentment by sublimating emotions towards a divine purpose (art, self improvement, etc).
It was said that manlihood comes down to being greater than pleasure and pain and being able to conduct a series of basic and divine principles.

Stoicism has to do with working according to a specific set of principles and exposing oneself to the divine through nature, learning, art, etc

I thought Veeky Forums would be all about individualism and against collectivism.

You guys might like Ayn Rand objectivism.

>You guys might like Ayn Rand objectivism.
seems awful to me. how can you be a proponent of rand's objectivism whilst supporting a family? in fact how does rand even deal with the notion of a family unit?

No idea honestly user. I have Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged but I've read neither.

Could be 100% wrong but I believe the main argument of objectivism is there isn't a moral obligation to do certain things. So while you might feel obligated to help others, it's not an objective moral truth. The only moral truth being the NAP (Don't aggres against someone unless they agress against you first) . It's like when religious people argue atheists aren't moral because they don't believe in objective morality.

I think I'm biologically a little off because I don't want kids at all. Girlfriend or wife for sure but caring for a whole family unit sounds awful.

how can you not know that

>ayn rand
>not kierkegaard

get real

well you shouldn't read either because they're hot garbage and a waste of time. time that could be better spent reading something that is actually fulfilling and isn't written by a complete hypocrite.

He was dyel tho

You hit the jackpot with that, in fact it's one of the main interpretations of stoicism in context

Hegel for example says stoicism is the last evolution of slave morality, because you just deal with things as they come and don't change the world as you want it to be

Although i don't agree with hegel in the way he sees the development of philosophy in the world, I agree that stoicism lacks certain honesty with life and being itself, i mean you deal with things as they come, but most things you deal are just bullshit from something that some human did, some circumstances that you were born into

Just because she might of been a dumb cunt who took some welfare doesn't make the whole argument invalid.

Who do you like instead user?

its more than that. it basically says that the individual creates their thinking. so if someone dents your car, you get angry, but does getting angry change anything?

read the meditations

Adding info to that, i think virtue ethics or ethics in general is largely a better way to see life than just stoicism, stoicism seems to me very passive while at least in ethics and virtue ethics you are actively searching for new things to develop

Thomism
>Aristotelian metaphysics
>Teleology (Man has a telos, there is a such thing as an excellent man)
>Traditional Catholicism
>Dominican tradition of scholasticism and prayer (rosary comes from St. Dominic)
>Anti-degeneracy
>Pro-monarchy

>tfw to stupid too understand Summa

It was written for beginners kek. It doesn't seem that way today though.

Thanks for the response, seems like a good path to follow

What the other user said, my doggo died and I was in the middle of some important shit with other people. Buried doggo, did the thing the next day and when I got home I got wrecked.

Sometimes you dont have time to mourn.

So ive been thinking, whichphilosophical mindset does "We are all gonna die anyway, so use this gift that is life to have a long happy life filled with emotions and memories" fall under?

Obviously having quality and happy life doesn't mean to jump head first into drugs and degeneracy (cuz that brings self hate) but you get the gist of it.

Tl;dr: im smart

Existentialism is based on giving meaning to a meaningless existence, they stop short of telling you how exactly to give meaning.
It can depend on how you define happiness, or if there are certain goals beyond happiness (enlightenment, etc)

>not posting the full version

Why didn't I become a cynic sooner?

it falls under irrelevant meme platitude

unless you are a full blown actual nihilist who knows the implications, I'm willing to bet your psyche is subject to all kinds of spooks as to what "should be", like "people should be able to vote" or whatever. the moment you embrace literally any non-individualistic idea like this, you are a subject of highly partisan politics and there are millions of people who would kill for the antithesis of what you believe.

Millions would kill you no matter what you believed.

well duh. my point was every act is political. the vast majority of people have all sorts of deeply entrenched beliefs, if some faggot says "lel I don't care about politics just be urself" they are almost certainly filled with bullshit because they have many "should bes" in their brain, they are politically contentious to many people and the fact that they can exercise those beliefs is the result of state violence on their behalf.

it takes a conscious effort to not be a permaspooked soma smoker, the default human mind comes with all sorts of "should bes", actual nihilism is counter-intuitive to the human psyche. almost errybody a collectivist.

>I'm willing to bet your psyche is subject to all kinds of spooks as to what "should be"
Aren't we all victims of this? I mean, you present this as a bad thing, but I don't see anything bad with meeting ethical expectations while at the same time enjoying life. I dont get your point desu senpai

my favourite line from this fucker is "i consider myself a citizen of the world" i dont even know where i heard it but i had it as a way of thnking and looking at the world and it turned out it was this guy
what a read when i looked him up, so based

>you present this as a bad thing

nah, I was just autistically replying to the kitten picture guy who said his beliefs are simply "just be urself", when there is no such thing. almost everybody believes in all kinds of shit that is contentious to some other large group, so the idea of le harmless peace and love man exists is incorrect.

only actual nihilists don't believe in any kind of mass morals spooks

"Why so hard?" said to the diamond one day the charcoal; "are we then not near relatives?"

Why so soft? O my brethren; thus do I ask you: are ye then not, my brethren?

Why so soft, so submissive and yielding? Why is there so much negation and abnegation in your hearts? Why is there so little fate in your looks?

And if ye will not be fates and inexorable ones, how can ye one day conquer with me?

And if your hardness will not glance and cut and chip to pieces, how can ye one day create with me?

For the creators are HARD. And blessedness must it seem to you to press your hand upon millenniums as upon wax,

Blessedness to write upon the will of millenniums as upon brass, harder than brass, nobler than brass. Entirely hard is only the noblest.

This new table, O my brethren, put I up over you: BECOME HARD!

Read

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
&
Enchiridion by Epictetus

Two classic stoic philosophers with my two favorite books. Seneca is also good.

tell me about christianism and stoicism

>idea of le harmless peace and love

But I never implied that you must be pacifist or hippie DUDE WEED LMAO type person. Being happy and enjoying life by making any kinds of choices that you won't regret, even if those choices ultimately were mistakes, but you did enjoy the ride you got from them, then it was worth it and that is life.

Defending your own or your friends honor by fighting someone is completely normal, because the opposite would result in you hating yourself for being a coward. Does that make sense?

Stoicism is essentially developing emotional fortitude so that you don't let your emotions take over reason. Stoicism can also be considered ancient psychology seeing as it had a major influence in the development of cognitive behaviour therapy.

Thinking about buying some shit by Seneca, Aurelius, and Epictetus for my psychologist as a Christmas gift. He knows of Stoicism but has never read into it. Figure he'll appreciate the ancient psychology.

CHECK'D

that fucking get

the virgin trips

the chad hex

Absolutely gotten

Sounds like a turbo-autist.

impressive, very nice

ch3ck3d

>turbo-autist
Bow your head, lowly dog.
The man you are disparaging was
the first ever philsophy-chad.

very nice

CHECK'd

Not sure for others but for me buddhism does it. I have found balance,inner peace,and truth in buddhism.

My life was a turmoil and now it's pretty quiet and calm,and I think I have to thank buddhism and the Buddha for bringing such unknown peace to my life.

I have a long long road upon me and I know I'm not perfect nor any good yet but I will try.Buddhism gives me a sense of purpose and realizing the truths Buddha described and that were writen in the pali canon brings me peace,because the root of all suffering is ignorance.

I know you could reduce it to a philosophy but I think it's not,I think Buddha was so wise he trascended dualism and that he realized the genuine truth of our existence and maybe universe.

Sorry for the long post and random babbling,but it was thanks to this board/a youtube video(yes) and a bad event in my life that brought me to buddhism anf maybe someone could find the same thing I did in buddhism.

It takes a bit of time to fully understand it tho,but it indeed holds the truth imo.

D I O G E N E S

the ultimate Veeky Forumsizen

- diogn.es

C H E C K E D

>Facebook
>Twitter
No thanks

Let's see how many (you)s you can get

top tier post, get well deserved

> watches a JBP video once
Well said user. If you'll allow me to rephrase that a bit, you're saying:
> cherish the gift of existence
> don't live in a way that makes it unbearable
> live with integrity
(in the sense that you'd feel your integrity was compromised if you didn't defend something you thought was worth it)

>That pale
He'd actually be swarthy as fuck.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscular_Christianity
/thread

What truth? Why do you need to subscribe to something to think and know there are things outside of you reach and understanding.

GET

checked