Fighting?

So I can't decide between going to a local boxing gym or a dudebro MMA gym in my area.
I want to make some fighting gains with my weight lifting gains and while I don't want to fight I figure at least I should learn to take a hit and be able to then run without taking a bunch of damage.

I know cardio is king to escaping but I want to learn something extra so if escape is hard I can try to make it faster/easier for myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AAj4_1PLLL0
youtube.com/watch?v=xi8MmLyD4ps
alexwilkiemma.com/
youtube.com/user/AlexWilkieMMA/videos
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Most places give a free trial or some shit like that. Get a trial from both places and see which one you enjoy more

Boxing bro

Why not box? Practice boxing and brazilian jiu jitsu.

bjj is the best martial art imo, especially if things go to the ground.

these

Why not both*

I never want a street fight to go to the ground. Fuck rolling around on concrete/broken glass/ other shit. Plus it'd be easier to either get ganged up on or just start getting kicked in the head.

BJJ is great for soft ground but terrible for street/self defense situations.

lol do you think when you get in to a fight the guy is gonna lay you down softly on to a silk bed and put mittens on his hands before punching you?

Just practice headbutting the curb. Perfect for all types of fighting and self defense

Got a light chuckle out if me user. Have a (you)

but it still can? prioritize striking sure but work on floor game if you dont want to get rekt when he slips 2 punches

Just check which ones does more amateur fights and have more pros training there

Most of the time what matters more is who's teaching you and who you're sparring with rather than the discipline

Is there an option where I learn proper defense to NOT go to the ground? I thought brazilian jj wanted to go downwards to grapple?

This

At least know what to do if a fight goes to the ground. And take down defenses

If somebody tackles you with a double leg takedown, you're going to the ground

You can try to prevent that by standing in TMA stance, but your lead punches will be girly

Boxers tend to be underweight as fuck for their height so that they can be zippy as fuck. At that point they learn how to punch with perfect technique so that when they land a punch it's like being hit by a freight train. If you want to learn how to knock someone out and run away, box. If you wanna look like a dudebro sick cunt who can do flykicks, do MMA. Ultimately both are dumb and you should play some Rugby, Lacrosse or some other contact ball sport that will make you capable of wrecking cunts in a practical way rather than for a sport.

Running

fo real this guy is right the best form of self defense in an actually dangerous situation is to be able to get away from the threat very quickly without getting caught or hurting yourself

>. Ultimately both are dumb and you should play some Rugby, Lacrosse or some other contact ball sport that will make you capable of wrecking cunts in a practical way rather than for a sport.

the fuck are you tarding on about?

Wow i guess fucking ball sports is a better fighting style than actually fighting

kek

fo real tho why would you want to be able to fight? Fighting is a great way to get yourself killed just run away life isnt an episode of naruto

Its better to learn standup, then transition to MMA. Unless they have pro kickboxers as specialized striking coaches, they're going to make you look retarded when you actually fight.

Oh fuck I'm dying

Because sometimes you literally can't run? You're not a main character in a movie user, there isn't always a way out

Honestly the rugbh cunts in my school are tough as fuck. They can take a hit to the head and keep going.
They're dumb as rocks though

>I never want a street fight to go to the ground. Fuck rolling around on concrete/broken glass/ other shit. Plus it'd be easier to either get ganged up on or just start getting kicked in the head.

Has someone saved that virgin vs chad pic about bjj vs boxing? I've seen it on this board some time

Grapple is the way user

Only beta virgin turbocucks who want brain damage do boxing

Wrestling, judo, BJJ, sambo, there are plenty

Boxing is not the way to go if you want to defend yourself in the street, perhaps the most common fight injury is broken hands. Learn muay thai and if you're ever in danger prioritize keeping distance with teep kicks and elbowing or kneeing the fuck out of them in a clinch. It will teach you a more complete guard and utilize your full musculature, too.

dumbfuck. Wrestling is the best foundation for fighting.

muay thai is so much of a meme now that I can't help but think it's over estimated. that and BJJ and whatever the rogan approved shit is going on. I bet learning wrestling would be just as effective if not more, but that's not KOOOL.

>street
>keeping distance
>teep kick

Wut?

They don't know what the fuck they're talking about.
They actually think low kicks or taking one foot off of the fucking ground is a good idea in a street fight.

Boxing to perfect your stand up game, keep your feet, how to take a punch, to read your opponent, and conditioning
Just enough grappling to get off of the ground and know what to do if you fuck up and get tackled or fall on the groun
Running
Good conditioning.
A taser a baton a pocket knife
You're basically set for every single altercation you'll ever have on the street that does't involve a large number of gun/weapon toting people who all want you dead.

Are you flexible? then kick boxing or muai tai. If not just do boxing, takes literally only one decent punch to end a fight. Bjj Is basically useless if the opponent isnt wearing a shirt, and this is Veeky Forums we never ware shirts anyways.

Does anyone know anything about Aikido?

is it a bad idea to do kickboxing or muai thai if you have short femurs?

>Bjj Is basically useless if the opponent isnt wearing a shirt

Great if you enjoy punani but you risk having your mother fuckin birthday snatched

Your legs will always be stronger and have further reach then your arms could have, unless you look like e.t , which I suggest you should finger your opponent instead

It might actually be good if done right? Maybe? After 10 years of hard training?

I mean... The Japanese were warlike and that martial art was practiced for a long time there, so it can't be all bullshit.

With that said, 99% of the schools are McDojos and you're better off learning something else

Maybe the art's too old and they got too intellectual with it or something. They have a lot of small motor skills techniques for very specific situations that's very unlikely to work in real life situations

They have amazing breakfall technique though, I'll have to give them that

If you want to defend yourself against people that punch you in slow motion like if they were holding a sword, or people trying to grab your sleeve in a certain way, then I guess it has some uses.
But beyond that, no.

>They have amazing breakfall technique though, I'll have to give them that
Every martial art that has throws does train how to fall properly

Wanna know why Seagal said that he'll snatch every mother fuckin birthday? Because he's trying to warn you not to repeat his mistakes. Imagine having birthday after birthday snatched as you grow older, at the end realizing that you've wasted your life with something useless.

No, it's just shit.

Aikido is great for learning to hit the ground. But so are most grappling sports.

Will you get brain damage boxing if you're wearing those soft helmets and the guy you're sparring isn't being a bully?

So let me get this straight.
A combination of Muay Thai and BJJ is the best route for all-around good fighting capability?

Yeah its called wrestling. Thats how you learn takedown defense.

it's for IF you get taken down you idiot

How about just buy some bums a bottle of cheap booze and let them beat the shit out of you once or twice a week? That way you'll learn how to take a pounding and defend yourself when you get into a fight. All these larping wannabe fight fags act like their weekend warrior training is going to do shit for them when Tyrone and his homies outnumber them 5 to 1.

Judo or wrestling nigger, it's like the purpose of those sports

Box is the GOAT, plus lifting(considering you do heavy compounds) will translate in sick lower body strength which translates to KO strikes, power comes from hips and legs not hands

I used to box but master moved to a different town and here there's no other box gym
thinking of joining kickboxing, how is it and how does one with past box experience do on it?

Could someone post a link to the video where the gif is from. I forgot how to find it.

youtube.com/watch?v=AAj4_1PLLL0

Thanks.

Distilled euphoria of someone who does 0%of things contained in his post

>If somebody tackles you with a double leg takedown, you're not on the street
Fixed.

Double leg means broken knees on concrete.

Where's the webm of the guy suplexing a dude and KOing himself?

>shitting on MMA and being a well rounded fighter just because of le tapout bros and mcdojos
Really galvanizes my pistachios

>It might actually be good if done right? Maybe? After 10 years of hard training?
WW2 Japs concluded that Aikido is useless in training soldiers (Ueshiba was very good, but couldn't train the soldiers in a few months) and went with Karate instead. Which worked very well, naysayers be damned.

TKD also works very well in war, see Vietnam.

Boxing, Savate, (Catch as Catch can) Wrestling don't work in a war situation, all of them were tested on the battlefield WW1 and failed massively (France basically lost their whole martial arts tradition in the trenches). In fact, grappling was so bad even the wrestling trainers started to teach striking after a while.

Sadly, the Allies destroyed all books and sources about German martial arts in WW1 and WW2 (which was based on what the Sturmtruppen did in WW1) because it was deemed too dangerous. Russia stole some stuff but won't give it out even to this day. And with good reason, since the Germans fucked everyone up in melee, even massacred guys like the Gurkhas and stuff.

Dunno about anything else, really. Should read up some sources again.

t. Hoplologist

Just buy a gun. Some tiny .22 or even .17 shit is better than any martial art.

>Box is the GOAT, plus lifting(considering you do heavy compounds) will translate in sick lower body strength which translates to KO strikes, power comes from hips and legs not hands
This is wrong and based on a misunderstanding by laymen.

Punching power = relaxation and moving the whole bodyweight into the strike (I think Americans call it "sitting down on your punches"). Of course, this will show a big amount of force in the legs if measured because you move your bodyweight via your legs.

Stronger legs per se won't make your punch stronger and you can easily test this if you have a punching power measurement apparatus available.

That's interesting user, thanks for sharing

If you want kung fu, Tongbeiquan (Through the back boxing), especially their weapon form witth the "big knife" (two handed wide-bladed sabre basically), became very famous against the Japanese in WW2.

The nationalist part (I think) of the Chinese army mostly did Xingyiquan, but the sources are very questionable in how they did. I'll look it up some more. Xingyiquan was used later to assassinate commies, though.

Muay Thai and any generally any grapple is the staple of all mma, don't be foolish though. It takes years to master each branch

I've never known quads to lie.

You dont have to take a penetration shot to double leg someone you mongoloid. GSP used to get low enough to double leg fighters without dragging his knee across the mat.

Well, the sources are very iffy, but the nationalist forces under Chiang Kai Chek indeed used Xingyiquan for the most part.

There's no way to tell how they did, though.

Then it's a tackle, not a double leg takedown. Big difference in power application.

> tfw all your fighting knowledge comes from manga
> tfw it actually works

>then its a tackle
Thats not even remotely true, and youre just being obtuse to sound correct. A double leg without a penetration step or a snatch double is a thing. Judo classically trained them this way.
youtube.com/watch?v=xi8MmLyD4ps

bro i have been boxing for ages, you are not going to get brain damage even without headgear, im being serious, it might sound a bit sarcastic

Does this place look legit? I'm thinking of joining. Their pricing and schedule seems weird to me, but I don't know how these gyms typically work.

alexwilkiemma.com/
youtube.com/user/AlexWilkieMMA/videos

Yes, read history books. If we just go by the hard facts, the arts tested and approved in combat are as follows:
>German martial arts (beats everything from Savate, to boxing, to wrestling, to Indian martial arts, to asian martial arts and everything they were thrown at basically - unknown nowadays)
>Tongbeiquan (beats Japanese martial arts)
>Karate (beats anything South East Asian including Muay Thai, Lerd Rit etc., all Korean and most Chinese arts)
>Japanese Ju Jutsu (beats Russian martial arts in Russo-Japanese war)
>Taekwondo (beats the shit out of everyone in Vietnam)

Everything else is at least questionable.

I see. We have different names for this in Europe and distinguish between the techniques.

Yes, you will get CTE

Boxing and Judo are the most practical. You don't need to learn a thousand different ways to defend yourself on the ground.

>Only beta virgin turbocucks who want brain damage do boxing
>implying you can't get fucked up for good by being dropped on the floor like a bag of potatoes

True that bjj is bullshit, used to think wrestling was bullshit too until I did a 1v1 against my dad I kept flying around and couldn't get up, so basickly if you know what you're doing wrestling and mma is good 4 you, not sure I I'm responding to the correct guy here I'm high

looks like the bjj is a seperate setup and is extortionate, also everything i've ever done which has branded itself as 'self defence' has been pretty wank

Thank you sensei

Just do western boxing, train for 6 months and you could smash anyone that has had none or little training. It's not hard

Judo is better

>karate
>TKD

yeah you are right, but internal psoas can make your punch harder because you can twist faster and more explosively, hanging leg raises and t-bar deadlifts actually do wonders for punching power if you actually know how to punch correctly, hamstrings are useful too because they make you leap forward faster, so if you countermeasure that force with the other leg you twist faster as well

Interesting. Where can I read more on German martial arts ?

The only way it's going to the ground is if I hit you with a 2 piece combo and your autistic ground humping ass hits the concrete not even knowing what happened

The only time a man should fight is in life or death struggle. Anything else is sport.

Different guy, I've went into depth about this before.
For punching power you want the legs (quads, hams, ass), serratus, and the core.
Legs and core for what you said, and serratus for pulling your arm forward.

Other things that seem to aid in this to a degree would be forearms for weight and snap, the chest and front delts for pulling your shoulder forward, the lats for stability and pulling arm back. And if I punch something heavy really hard I get a jolt up my bicep. I think this is from me trying to pull back my punch and it "freezes" up my bicep via a sudden impact.

Well if you want to talk about kungfu, then you can't forget about bajiquan. Puyi's, Chiangkaisek's, and Maozedong's bodyguard are all bajiquan practitioner. The presidential bodyguard of Taiwan still practices it. It has to mean something.

Also, Karate originates from White Crane Boxing kungfu. Some of the traditional Okinawan karatekas still meets up with their Chinese counterpart and train together up to this day

And Wing Chun should be pretty good, even though it has become meme tier these days. Needs to be combined with boxing's footwork though, to paraphrase Bruce Lee: stupid footwork can't be used to chase ppl

If its for self-defense, you best bet's basically just common sense and cardio.
>b-but what if I can't run?
Where in the fuck'd you lead yourself that you've bottlenecked or deadended yourself?
Avoid shady places, the night, and starting shit when alone, otherwise run errands with buds, do shit in the day, and keep: a gun\knife in your car and burner wallet/phone in your pants.

If you really wanna prep for fights: learn enough striking to fairly consistently hit the eyes-n-balls then maneuver to the outside to run, and enough wrestling to fairly consistently gain a top position from which to pound and run.
There're too many unknowns in a fight: weapons, buddies, etc, so its always safer to break and book it. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, and assuming you're fit, but if not, put on some muscle; there's a reason combat sports have weight classes.

-t. Baltimore user

wrestling was an important art in european culture because it was extremely effective in sword fighting. Yes, a lot of fights with melee weapons ended in a clinch, and you couldn't very well box if the other bloke was wearing steel plate armor.

But when ranged weapons became the norm, all this changed.

Well, maybe not swordfighting per se. If you had to pull your sword in battle, you already fucked up. It's a secondary weapon.

Great weapon if your opponent's not wearing armor, kinda shit when they do

But I do see your point.

Which made me curious about one thing, taekwondo (it's precursor anyhow) was created for when someone loses their weapon and they're facing an armed opponent. How the fuck did the Koreans came to the conclusion "we'll kick them to death then!" When most other cultures decided to use grappling?

Is Judo a meme or is it actually decent for self defence?

Is there a martial art I should lean towards if I have knee issues? Or am I just fucked?

Judo is decent enough to land you in jail. If you throw someone on concrete, that guy is fuuuuucked

Make sure you learn no gi though

Nothing is known anymore. Ask Russia or look in some US libraries I guess? I wouldn't know, the tradition ended with WW2 (iirc, Italy kept some of their martial arts but they are literally secret).

I know all these stories, but I only looked for styles that really, really have had a factual test in war conditions that you can check up today.

Also, Japanese Karate was very different from the Okinawan styles. In WW2, they only used oi-tsuki (lunging lead hand strike) to the eyes and throat and kizami geri (kick to the balls or shins), if I remember correctly. Lots of drills and sparring.

Also, from what I have seen irl, Wing Chun didn't impress me at all, but YMMV obviously, the level of Wing Chun here isn't especially high, I think.

several mt gyms, no wrestling here. europoor

Guess I didn't really consider that. Like most people in this thread, I'm not looking to get in any street fights, I just want to stand a chance if push comes to shove.

I recall reading somewhere that most judo throws aim to have your opponent on their back, is that correct?

>Which made me curious about one thing, taekwondo (it's precursor anyhow) was created for when someone loses their weapon and they're facing an armed opponent. How the fuck did the Koreans came to the conclusion "we'll kick them to death then!" When most other cultures decided to use grappling?
TKD was created from Karate. Which is a Kung Fu style, basically, as the other user wrote.

And sadly, we don't know how people actually did fight in the Middle Ages. The earliest sources are from when the Middle Ages were absically over and they aren't about knights but civilian self-defense and such things. Which is unfortunate, since knights were apparently pretty beastly from the little we know.

Well, in most judo matches they will land on their back since they know how to fall correctly. Back and their whole, flat arm. It you throw a random person, they can easily land on their head, neck, elbows (especially if they have good reflexes but untrained), or their back. You won't know until you throw.

And if you're being an asshole, you can easily crouch down while throwing them and make sure they land on their head/neck.

Well some of the German royal and noble lineage are still alive, they should know right? Just ask someone with "von" or "zu" in their name to a match or something lol

Lmao I've never seen a "tough guy" spar with a boxer/grappler whatever and not get blown the fuck out. Being tough means fuckall