Be Ptolemy I

>be Ptolemy I.
>help bring forth one of the most important cities in the entire world
>built a "library" which gave birth to some of the most intelligent people antiquity has ever known
>in your city primitive machines were built
>the only thing that people remember about your heritage is a failed princess

wow...just WOW

Attached: ptolemy.jpg (183x275, 6K)

wamen are more important

Attached: Ptolemies no Seleucids yes.jpg (480x480, 216K)

Dubs of truth

>his empire doesnt own indian elephants

Libraries can't give birth to people

>the only thing that people remember about your heritage is a failed princess
To be fair though most non-history buffs don't even know that Cleopatra wasn't a native.

come on you know what i meant kek

thats true

Cleopatra is the patron deity of the Roastie though. Only pathetic virgins care about P1

>"When I suggested some years ago to a publisher that a biography of Antiochos the Great might be a good subject for a book the idea was rejected, yet there are biographies of some of the most obscure of Roman emperors. So a king who ruled all the lands from India to Greece for a third of a century is not regarded as a suitable subject, yet the halfmad emperors Nero and Caligula rate repeated study. The effect on world-history of these two men must be rated as minimal; that of Antiochos is almost as great as that of Alexander or Constantine."
-John D. Grainger

Hellenistic figures in general needs more attention.

>Caligula and Nero were bad
Into the trash he goes

They objectively were though.

t. triggered Roman fag

i think that would be Marilyn Monroe. Cleopatra was quite smart

>Only pathetic virgins care about P1
spoken like a true retard

yes although Antiochos the Great is no where near Alexander and did not have as much of an impact as Constantines laws.

though i cant decide whether he was a genius or a retard kek

Why is Cleopatra so idolized? She was just a glorified prostitute who fucked a couple important Romans, abandoned one of them in battle, lied that she had killed herself to him so that he would kill himself, then when finding out she couldn't whore herself off to Octavian too offed herself like a bitch.

He believes in historical falsehoods. That's pathetic.

>though i cant decide whether he was a genius or a retard kek
Without Antiochus the Great, the Seleucid empire would've been broke up into multiple rebellious states and die. (It did eventually, but much earlier without Antiochus)

The moment Antiochus became king, the Seleukid empire was plagued with rebellious generals. Anatolia and Media were already broken off from the empire due to these rebellions. It was Antiochus who unified the empire again.

And then there's the famous Anabasis, where Antiochus subjugated invading Parthians and sued peace with Bactrians. There's a reason why he's called "Great".

definitely he was a great leader, especially considering the fact that he wasnt even supposed to be the king.

however he in battle often times did so many retarded things, like at the river Arius and at Magnesia and Raphia, battles he could have easily won.

she was a wamen and people are cucks

Antiochus WAS supposed to be a king, considering he was the only surviving male Seleucid member at the time, except for his uncle.

There can be a lot of argument made about his military career. First of all, Antiochus defeated Bactrians at Arius btw.

There's definitely a mistake in Raphia. He should've to charge the Ptolemaic rear instead of keep following Ptolemaic left wing.

Magnesia is probably the most unfortunate. It was more of a one giant collision accident than a battle. Chariots crashing their own cavalry at the left-wing, and elephants IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PHALANX LINE RUNNING AMOK, were the major reason why he lost.

tbf academic specializations means that someone who writes about hellenistic history won't be as well versed in roman history.

John D. Grainger also wrote a book about Nerva though.

The Ptolemy of Astronomy was way cooler than this fuck

well nvm then. I suppose there's no consensus how nero and caligular 'actually' were

wasnt he like the third son? thats what i meant. im glad there are other Seleucidboos here.

>Magnesia is probably the most unfortunate.
i dont think there any excuses there. he had Hannibal with him and did not make good use of him.

overall he was a great leader, but arrogant and shortsighted though.

what do you think of his son Antiochus IV? i think he was capable aswell.

you mean the cuck who told us that the 19th century is 1800-1900.
fuck.that.

>he had Hannibal with him and did not make good use of him.
This argument comes up often whenever someone says Magnesia, but it just doesn't make sense. Why would the Seleucid put Hannibal, a foreign general they barely knew about, in charge of a massive army?

And what if he wins? What would Antiochus III be to the eyes of his subjects? He would be seen as a king who lets a foreigner take his honor.

>what do you think of his son Antiochus IV? i think he was capable aswell.
I'm concerned about him because Antiochus III had him with Laodice, who was his own cousin.

>a foreign general they barely knew about, in charge of a massive army?
not in charge but closer to the battle. wasnt he relegated to the marine?

>And what if he wins? What would Antiochus III be to the eyes of his subjects? He would be seen as a king who lets a foreigner take his honor.
good point. i hadnt thought of that.

arent cousins ok though? were they 1. cousins? the Ptolemys seemed ok, considering kek.

>antiochus the great
>as great as Alexander or Constantine
antiochus spent most of his life putting down rebellions, squabbling over koile syria with the ptolemies, and then just got btfo constantly by the romans until he got killed trying to loot a temple because he was fucking broke.

Hannibal was sent to his ancestral homeland of Phoenicia, where he lead navy.

>Grugtomy won't marry anyone besides his tribesmen. Native brown tribe spooky and dirty.
>Grugtomy marries his own cousins and sisters
>Why are Grugtomy heirs all retarded?

Attached: 1518004880310 copy 2.png (485x443, 41K)

Gruh have slope in brain, Grug speak of first Grugtomy when he think of second Grugtomy who grugged his siblings
They even call him Grugtomy who grugged his siblings so slope head like Grug know

Attached: one semester till me gruguate.png (485x574, 29K)