Is ss a meme

Is starting strength meme?

I mean, 3 exercises with the most snap potential for a novice?

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/jlogglcbclnpyjx/Starting_Strength_Mark_Rippetoe_,_3rd_edition.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it's natural selection son

the sooner you snap your shit up, the better for everyone else since you wont be occupying gym space for no reason

You start light and you won't snap, retard. 2.5-5lbs increase every workout while you focus on form and hip drahve
You need to be retarded to have SS hurt you

there are 5 exercises... what?

squat
ohp
bench
power clean
deadlift

these have the most potential to make you stronger... the only one i have struggled learning is power clean

no, best guide in lifting. For a visual equivalent watch Alan Thrall videos on youtube, he used SS and is strongman.

Yes and no. While compound movements are very important to learn and to grow, you will end up looking like fucking dog shit after JUST SS. Find a middle ground. incorporate all the heavy compounds with progressive overload into split that also focuses on multiple accessory movements in the 8-12 range. ei, do SS as a PPLxPPLx split with lotsa accessory movements and you'll look better faster, and become stronger. im ohping 225 and benching 315 atm, and i look like a BB'er, not mark fucking rippletits.

what you just said is similar to what i kind of asked in my own thread

i planned to incorporate the sets and reps from Strong Lifts into the compound movements in my program. the guy says i shouldnt though since im a beginner but still it sounds pretty good to me honestly

SS is great if you want to look like a T-REX.

This user is right. Pic related

basically you should do Starting Strenght for 2-6 months and then add accessory lifts or progress into another routine that is more specialized for your goals

if you want aesthetics you should continue to do the SS compound lifts, but add exercises that you want to build the muslces that you want emphasized on your body.

Bicep curls
lateral raises or more shoulder movements
tricep extensions or something
calf raises
abs exercises
Some form of rows

This will hit pretty much what most guys are looking for in aesthetics. But there is no limit to how much you can add. Its up to you what you want to look like - you need to figure out which exercises will emphasize the muscles that you want to pop

>resting for 3-5 minutes
i just cant do that shit. feels like i can just get back on in a minute

How it's shilled to every retard who even thinks about stepping foot into a gym or lifting weights?
Yes.
It's a piss poor beginner program for them
It's a rip off of only the strongest survive and that is specifically for already athletic teen males to gain strength and put on more mass and gain more power.
Period.

The average out of shape dumbass who's completely ignorant of how their body works and probably has all sorts of problems should start with at least 6 months of basic bodyweight training and walking then move onto a bodybuilding type split or do calisthenics + lifting for aesthetics.

Then later move onto pure strength training IF THEY WANT TOO.

You never ever have to strength train or do powerlifting ever.

You wouldn't say that if you actually read the book, you fucking retard. A novice is going to get way more improvement for any goal if they start their lifting foundation around squats, bench, ohp, deadlifts (and then power cleans and bb rows) than they ever would grabbing some beginner program off of Bodybuilding .com

And yet, no one who's done anything of any note in any sport will ever say they started with SS or any of the heavily shilled 5x5 programs.

is SS a meme or not. would you people make up your fucking minds. the fuck.

Can someone please some up SS for me?
I want to apply it on my squats, im a newbie
How the progression basically works?

if you post a cute anime girl with big tits i'll sum it up for you

The program isn't.

The incessant need to declare it ideal for everyone regardless of their goals and situation is.

You're retarded. HS football coaches have been using Bill Starr for freshman and sophomores for decades.

"O-onegai, onee-chan..."

Lol chill,but yeah you got a point,flexibility and body awareness is very important and is very neglected but you can still jump into SS as a noob

t. been lifting for 2 months

>workout with friend
>friend doesn't want to squat
>muh back injuries
Why even lift?

ok summary:

SS is not just for squats FYI.

You will do 2 workouts:

Day 1: Squats, OHP, Power Cleans (if you can't do power cleans yet, do deadlift)
Day 2: Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift

2-3 warmup sets, always start with the empty bar for EVERYTHING. Stretch through the reps - do sets of 5-10 for warmup (lightweight)

3 sets of 5 reps using a challenging weight for every exercise EXCEPT for 2 exercises:
Power Clean - for this you do 5 sets of 3 reps w/ challenging weight
Deadlift: you do 1 set of 5 reps of challenging weight

Basically you do Day 1, then rest and eat a shit ton of protein until you are no longer sore (2-3 days usually). Once you are no longer sore, do Day 2, then eat a shitton of protein. Once you are not sore, do Day 1 over. Rinse, repeat. Eat 1.5g of protein EVERY DAY for each pound of body weight.

Each workout day, add 20lbs to your: Squat and deadlift. Add 10-15lbs to your bench, power cleans, and OHP. Do this every workout until you cannot lift the added weight with proper form. At this point, just add less weight, like 10lbs instead of 20.

Do this for 8-10 weeks (or until you cannot add 10lbs per workout) and you have basically completed starting strenght. At this point, you switch / add to your workout routine to suit your personal goals (more strenght, aestetics, olympic lifting, whatever)

cheers

>10 sets of 1

it's no fucking wonder you stupid ass gooks spend 3 hours at the squat rack doing 10 reps

Adding: NEVER work out 2 days in a row. REST as long as you need to complete all reps for each set. Usually this is 3-5 minutes between each set. If you can only rest 1 minute and do all the reps, you need to add more weight

This, I use SS book on lifting technique but I use other novice programme.

None of you did the program.

i'm not him but i got that analysis overload thats preventing me from picking something and sticking to it. i feel like 3 workouts for one day is too simple. i want to do more. so peep this bitch

instead of that program. would i be better off doing something like this

Workout A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x8
Face Pulls 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/Tricep pressdowns 2x10 Superset

Workout B
Front Squat 3x5
Overhead Press 3x5
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8 (any grip)
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset

its the same shit, except you add weight every week instead of every day, and only 5/10Ibs

Its a novice program

if squats and deadlifts are taking a novice to snap city they either are retarded and cant follow entire chapters of diagrams, or are using way too much weight with shit form because of their ego

its also generally applicable which it gets recommended constantly. Yeah maybe for someone's particular goals adding lateral raise earlier might be better, but if you let dyel's do what they want they end up with retarded brosplits and never get anywhere

Seriously. SS is far more complicated than people credit it for. It's a general strength training method based upon the book by mark rippetoe and has plenty of accessory exercises for certain situations. People need to read the damn book and do the program.

>power clean
I do pendlays instead ;)

can i read the book in one day? i have the book. i just never read it.

t.3 pl8 squat

Not to understand it all. It's a very nuanced book and you will refer to it as questions come up. You don't need to read it all before you start but you should ready it asap. Then read practical programming right after

theres a fucking second book? jesus christ

I did SS for a year, microloading at the last few months and actually gained more mass and aesthetics than the "gym rats" who I looked up to when I first stepped into the gym. Currently doing a upper/lower split, OP do SS or anything equivalent that focuses on full body compound movements, I just don't get how people can say these kind of programmes are a meme.

Starting strength goes over the novice progressions and the lifts and why you should do them that way. However practical programming goes over more details about being a novice and then how to change the stress recovery adaptation cycle from a novice daily program into week long intermediate and finally into advance periodization.

If you stick to that program that is perfectly fine. You have 3 major lifts with 2 accessory lifts for each workout (3 with superset). Perfectly fine dude. This is a type of workout that is good for someone who has done SS for 2-3 months and wants to add more for aesthetics. Just make sure you are getting enough protein and rest and you will be lookin good

honestly there is no true substitute for power cleans, but they can be complicated to learn. so if you dont want to do them, then fine, do pendlay rows. just know they are not a true substitute. the important thing is that you are lifting weights on a program and getting stronger

>Is starting strength meme?

Whether or not you do the routine, you should read the book.

should i modify the major lifts so it is 5x5 instead of 3x5? like strong lifts?

>5x5
>strong lifts
If you actually read the SL website you'll see that the 5x5 becomes a 3x5 then finally to a 3x3 when the weights get heavy and it becomes difficult to recover from a workout.

Bottom line, pick a full body compound programme and stick with it, it honestly doesn't matter. You can do greyskull lp if you think SS/SL is a meme.

no i just want to build muscle so i dont look like a sack. i was actually in the process of reading their website too i just look at too much shit. but at least you told me something that made sense in response to what i asked.

now since i am still pretty fat (pic related) should i eat at a deficit, maintenance, or bulk? as a noob, wont a make noob gains either way?

if i was you, I would do SS. i would eat at a caloric surplus and make sure i got 1.5g of protein for every LB of body weight every fucking day. you will be alot bigger in 8 weeks and generally see noob gain improvements in the mirror every 2 weeks.

every SS lift has a Mark Rippetoe video on youtube teaching you how to do it and a huge community to help you with questions. SS is perfectly fine man, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Do HIIT cardio, bodyweight and flexibility. Get to >10% before you lift. Flexibility and core strength will really pay dividends.

i'm conflicted now. WHICH PATH DO I TAKE?

There's still fat in that flabby stomach skin. Lose it, learn to stretch, and the mechanics of SS. You can become a trex in a few months.

yeah... it's a meme.
>weighted dips
>weighted pullups
>bulgarian split squats
>sprints
>ab wheel

Way better.

>you will end up looking like fucking dog shit after JUST SS
when will this meme end

Alright. I'll do it.

>mfw I'm doing ss but without power clean or rows and with chin-ups and dips and high-bar squats instead of low-bar

Otherwise you just end up with a big femenine ass, legs and weak arms

SS works

Pics is me 2 months on SS

do not do this, you gnna look like shit
its winter time, build mass , start cut in April, March

I'm doing a program that is a 5 day split and then every 4th week is a "strength week" which is you do a week of Starting Strength. Today was the start of my first "strength week." It seems like something I could do every four weeks and nothing more. Doing that every other day for months would get extremely boring. The main reason I opted not to do Starting Strength though was the before and after pictures. The program will definitely get you stronger, but you will still look like shit.

black

this is the path to ottermode: this is the path to bigger strenght aesthetics: in my opinion you are pretty scrawny and would benefit more from 2-3 months of SS and then add accessory exercises for aesthetics. also, SS will build much more core strenght than bodyweight stuff. but honestly, do whatever routine that you will actually DO and STICK WITH over time

%
do you mean

probably time to add some bicep curls and tricep extensions. doing good tho, could probably add more weight and eat more calories

Being black is literally cheating.

No I just did GOMAD

then you do stronglifts

Sage goes in every field as a formality of sorts.
I'm gonna call myself "this one" because I mostly explain my self-analysis
Im going to use broken english to avoid losing the point.

This one once think SS troll. This one was at the time starting to trust Veeky Forums as a self-help site. This one think this place for those that have no one else to talk and this one want to be a bro.

Starting Strength is self-explanatory. It's a comprehensive guide to starting to use barbels to build physical strength. If you want muscles and enjoy not having your shit and you're just thinking about starting it gives you an idea of the level of detail bodybuilders SHOULD be concerned when form is concerned.

This one not know perfect form. This one read books and think book smarts if based on proper knowledge of physiology are perhaps a great way to learn about your body. This one very critical so read lots of /ss/ before trying (terrible horrible joke what am I doing).

This one gets lots of advice and this one very stubborn. This one think for those 5 compound lifts SS is the best way to START.

This one thinks you should treat it like a textbook for a class you really wanna take. Take it seriously.

Sage fields formalities

I made a typo and dont know how to modify my post.

And you like *not having your shit snapped

This is shittiest program ever for beginner. Of course from 10 people who did SS you will find 1 or 2 who succeed and that's why Rippettoe will say that program works and this 2 guys did program properly and other 8 not. But the truth is that SS is primitive peaking program, it isn't developed for building strength. You need much more volume and conditioning as beginner. Pls do 5/3/1 for beginners or Candito's LP or Juggernaut "Considerations for beginners".

mediafire.com/file/jlogglcbclnpyjx/Starting_Strength_Mark_Rippetoe_,_3rd_edition.pdf

ss is shit. use a normal program and eat well and you will look 100x better than someone with an inflated chest and quads

I’m doing it myself right now. Recently I’ve read:
Starting Strength
Practical Programming for Strength Training
Plenty of Starting Strength articles
Plenty of content from the Strong Lifts website

Ask me anything, and I’ll answer with sources (if possible).

>is SS a meme?
No.

AMA.

YOU ARE NOT DOING THE PROGRAM

love that img

>Is starting strength meme?

Starting Strength is too complicated. The best novice program was written by Bill Starr:

Mon/Wed/Fri | 100/80/90 %

Squat
Bench
Power clean

5x5 Ramping sets = 4 increasing warm up sets and one workset.

Increase the weight 5 lbs every Monday.

Starting weights are whatever you can lift with good form.

>tfw you will never discover SS again
>tfw you will never be the only person who squats and deadlifts at the gym again
>tfw you will never bulk from 170 to 220 in just a few months again
>tfw you will never outlift people who have been lifting for years in just a matter of a few months again

Lifting before 2010 was the best. And so was SS. If you can't get with the program then you shouldn't even be in a gym.

>implying you snap your shit up with baby weight.

Doing SS didn't make me black.
Think you did something wrong.

do Greyskull LP.
It's better than SS, meaning it wont make you a hideous T-rex but actually stronger and better looking
vanilla SS is pretty bad for novices, especially your bodytype.
Add bodyweight exercises, plenty of mobility work and HIIT as another user said.

gonna need some body pics if you're making a claim like that

dyou have that ebook? i could find it . id buy it but poor as feck

is not a meme as youre not doing stupid shit

if you want to be a powerlifter, do the program
if you want aesthetics, do the program with arm, calves, upper pec and abs isolations

yndtp retard

spotted the t-rex

rawrr ;)

>Do this for 8-10 weeks (or until you cannot add 10lbs per workout)

I started SS on 9/11

Starting / Current weights:
Squat 90lbs > 130lbs
BP 100 lbs > 115lbs
DL 170 lbs > 210lbs
OHP 70lbs > 85lbs

The goal was to go up 5lbs per session in everything except DL which was 10lbs per session. I only add weight when I can complete the full workout with decent form.

I have been pretty steadily progressing in DL, but my other workouts usually take more than one session to go up in weight. For example, the past 2 sessions I have been unable to bench 3x5 120lbs. Why am I progressing so slowly? I eat +500 calories/day, always get at least 7hrs of sleep, and my form is good. I have Crohn's disease but haven't experienced a flair up in a while.

I just don't get how people add 10-20lbs per session and I am already struggling to add 5 per session this early in the program. I am making gains, but they are slow and frustrating/demoralizing when I read shit like this

Homo

lol what a homo

Height, weight?

H'0", M0 lbs

hi I'm homo nice 2 meet you samefag

5'11" 165

wow, i think that actually is H'0", M0 lbs
nice meme height & weight, H0M0!

>I have a disease
>why won't my lifts go up faster
gee its like your body isn't busy fixing itself or anything

I acknowledge it as a potential factor in my slow progress, but I haven't found any research on "How Crohn's disease effects weight lifters" so I don't want to use that as an excuse unless it's actually true.

Hey. It's all in good fun to call the guy a homo, but don't make light of his disease. Dick.

SS to get lean from skinnyfat dyel?

sure sure faggot go ahead

No ebook is available. You have to buy the paper copy.

Weight is too light

lifting heavy at a sub 500 deficit? With iso and accessory + cardio days? Can u explain why I'm a fag

>WAAAH WAAAH WHY AM I SUCH A FAGGOT
ask your mom

Hahahahaha OK user nice constructive use of the thread

could be the disease. your body might need extra energy to deal with the crohn’s.

If you are 5’11 you should be eating about 3300 -3700 calories per day and around 180-200g of protein per day. i’d be willing to bet you arent eating as much as you think