Veeky Forums feels thread

Things that are gone

The giant Steller sea cow was hunted to extinction in just 27 years after their discovery by europeans

Attached: SAD.jpg (300x552, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

fao.org/docrep/meeting/x4995e.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Too bad they tasted good

>the worlds greatest hope for a communist movement devoid of insane purges and famines was murdered in Mexico after his archives of the epic Russian Civil War were burned and his family sent to die in GULAG

Attached: trotsky.jpg (800x800, 197K)

>Trotsky
>devoid of insane purges and famines
Off yourself Schlomo

The Lion of Lucerne in Sweden. It was created to commemorate the hundreds of Swiss Guard who were killed in the French Revolution, but during the attack on the Tuileries and the September Massacres.

Mark Twain wrote about it:

>There is a subtle something about the majestic pathos of the original which the copyist cannot get. Even the sun fails to get it; both the photographer and the carver give you a dying lion, and that is all. The shape is right, the attitude is right, the proportions are right, but that indescribable something which makes the Lion of Lucerne the most mournful and moving piece of stone in the world, is wanting.

>The Lion lies in his lair in the perpendicular face of a low cliff — for he is carved from the living rock of the cliff. His size is colossal, his attitude is noble. His head is bowed, the broken spear is sticking in his shoulder, his protecting paw rests upon the lilies of France. Vines hang down the cliff and wave in the wind, and a clear stream trickles from above and empties into a pond at the base, and in the smooth surface of the pond the lion is mirrored, among the water-lilies.

>Around about are green trees and grass. The place is a sheltered, reposeful woodland nook, remote from noise and stir and confusion — and all this is fitting, for lions do die in such places, and not on granite pedestals in public squares fenced with fancy iron railings. The Lion of Lucerne would be impressive anywhere, but nowhere so impressive as where he is.

Attached: Lion-of-Lucerne-6.jpg (670x444, 162K)

and a wider photo that gives a better idea of its scope

Attached: the-lion-monument-in-lucerne-honouring-the-swiss-soldiers-killed-during-french-revolution-ashish-aga (900x628, 141K)

>she will never grow up
>she will never get to learn about love
>she will never conceive, carry, birth, and care for children of her own
>she will be murdered by the Nazis every time, no matter what you do
>you can't save her
>no matter how hard you try
>you can never save her

Attached: AnneFrank_001-ALT.jpg (687x1117, 531K)

>you will never see the primordial forests

Attached: virgin-forests-cover-in-the-us-1-728.jpg (728x546, 101K)

>you will never listen to the breeze blowing through the limbs of trees a dozen feet across

Attached: virgin-forests-cover-in-the-us-2-728.jpg (728x546, 131K)

>you will never walk through forests almost free of undergrowth due to the shade
>you will never live in a South 10-15 degrees cooler due to the immense woods

Attached: virgin-forests-cover-in-the-us-3-728.jpg (728x546, 122K)

I am actually sick to my stomach now.

humans were a mistake

>you'll never know the full extent of what was lost
>the land will always be full of shitty briar and kudzu choked undergrowth and thin crappy trees
>the stars will never be fully visible due to light pollution
>you'll never be able to go somewhere in your home state without hearing highway noises or seeing the lights of aircraft and phone towers

Attached: virgin-forests-cover-in-the-us-4-728.jpg (728x546, 90K)

When the Frenchman Alexis de Tocqueville travelled across America in 1831, he saw trees stretching to the horizon in every direction like the sea. 'The whole country is nothing but one vast forest, in the middle of which they have made clearings,' he wrote

The US overturned all his preconceptions. 'Everyone shakes hands,' he reported with incredulity. The Protestant religion shocked him deeply, and so did the self-respect of servants who felt they had a perfect right to chat to their employers, and waiters who sat down at table with their customers. In Washington he and his travelling companion were astounded by the simplicity of the presidential palace, where Andrew Jackson poured their drinks himself with no sign of attendant guards or courtiers.

Good god, that's like something out of Middle earth

>ywn live in a giant, endless forest that spans half a continent, living out your days learning the wisdom of the trees and fucking cute native girls in their shade

The fact that such a majestic and regal creature that had been an intricate part of European and Mediterranean culture since the beginning of man had finally succumbed to our exploitation of it is really fucking saddening to me. The last photo of it is really ominous and dreadful too, really hits me in the feels more than any other human caused extinction, even if the Barbary isn't as unique as some other animals we've erased

Attached: Barbary lion.png (800x479, 256K)

>communism under Trotsky would've worked
Time to join your leader

We didn't deserve a planet as beautiful as this one was.

How about some non-made made devastation, although having wrote the comment maybe this only gives me feels because I love Versailles.

The 1999 storm at Versailles: a Christmas windstorm that lasted for 2 hours and knocked over more than 10,000 trees at the palace of Versailles, include 80% of rare species that had been cultivated at the palace for more than 200 years, and several trees planted by historic figures like Marie Antoinette and Napoleon. 10,000 more trees had to be cut down due to being damaged by the storm.

Particularly affected was Marie Antoinette's personal hamlet retreat, which still retained most of the original trees planted there in the 1780s; the original trees planted were rather new, and the intent was that by the time they matured the hamlet would feel charmingly isolated, as if you stumbled upon it while walking through the woods.

The head gardener at Versailles wrote later in his memoir that the Versailles he knew was forever destroyed that day, and that despite working at the palace for almost 15 more years, it was and would never be the same.

Attached: 1999.jpg (2000x1358, 341K)

>>you'll never be able to go somewhere in your home state without hearing highway noises or seeing the lights of aircraft and phone towers

oh boy do i know that feel

You know what's worse? When you might find solace in a quiet place and then you start hearing people with music coming from their cellphones while they hike.

The 2 times that happened, i wanted to push them off the cliff.

Attached: 0396bbe26529ee474423206ce4cef8552a7d7e2e.png (500x514, 258K)

Damn, meteorological history isn't my forte but at least they had a pretty good run up to that point.

>music coming from their cellphones while they hike.
No fucking way. That should be illegal.

Attached: 29243833_1641108659312892_6068478245932630016_n.jpg (602x448, 14K)

Attached: 1789 was a mistake.jpg (1776x1000, 784K)

user it's still there, it's not gone

damn strong photo user, like walking into nothingness

Brought a tear to my eye, It had a happy ending though

Attached: 1450501484685.png (594x517, 539K)

>human beings will continue to fuck up the Earth for their own personal gain
>No matter how developed we are, there will be shithole countries who have no standards for dumping and deforestation
>It's practically already too late for us to reverse the damage
>The trees can't act as natural filters for CO2 because we chopped them all down
>Cows are putting more and more methane into the atmosphere
>There's no curiosity in life
>People don't look up to the stars any more
>I can barely see the stars any more

I want to go back, anons.

Civilization was a mistake.

> Live in a small town that was almost un-heard until a few years ago.

>Huge patches of forest and trees living perfectly fine with small houses around

>A few years ago something happened and people wanted to live here

>Its really natural - people said

In front of my house there was a 2 square kilometer patch of trees that were more than 200 hundred years old

You know what's there now? A HUGE fucking Hospital

In the center of town (i live 20 minutes away) most small houses and trees were torn down to build apartments

On one of the biggest reserves of trees that its about 30 minutes away from my house they are building a Sheraton hotel.

I could sleep on the afternoon pleasantly a few years ago. Now i hear cars everywhere

I could gaze at the stars and get lost in space. Now with so many lights i can count the fucking stars and i can barely discern anything up there.

Sunsets aren't a pleasant moment anymore. Since by the time the sun starts to come up, people are making noise with cars.

This has fucked my mental health beyond repair.

I can fully understand John Kaczynski now.

Attached: 1413629178511.jpg (401x253, 24K)

If there's any comfort, the forest have been growing steadily since the 40's.

>Forest growth nationally has exceeded harvest since the 1940s. By 1997, forest growth exceeded harvest by 42 percent and the volume of forest growth was 380 percent greater than it had been in 1920." The greatest gains have been seen on the East Coast (with average volumes of wood per acre almost doubling since the '50s) which was the area most heavily logged by European settlers beginning in the 1600s, soon after their arrival.

fao.org/docrep/meeting/x4995e.htm

Attached: 20151214_agu5.jpg (2664x1674, 1.75M)

I'm so sorry for you user.

I've never gotten to live in the pure country-side.

I just want to be amazed, user.

Stop being gay m8s, all those trees were better spent keeping people alive in winter and being cleared to feed people.

Oh no they tore down trees to build a fucking hospital

Kind of crazy to think there were so many mamals in the caribbean waters:

The Caribbean monk seal, West Indian seal or sea wolf (as early explorers referred to it), Neomonachus tropicalis, was a species of seal native to the Caribbean. The first historical mention of the Caribbean monk seal is recorded in the account of the second voyage of Christopher Columbus. In August 1494 a ship laid anchor off the mostly barren island of Alta Velo, south of Hispaniola, the party of men went and killed eight seals (Sea Wolves) that were resting on the beach.[10] The second recorded interaction with Caribbean monk seals was Juan Ponce de León’s discovery of the Dry Tortugas Islands. On June 21, 1513 Ponce de León discovered the islands, he ordered a foraging party to go ashore, where the men killed fourteen of the docile seals.[11] There are several more records throughout the colonial period of seals being discovered and hunted at Guadelupe, the Alacrane Islands, the Bahamas, the Pedro Cays, and Cuba.[2] As early as 1688 sugar plantations owners sent out hunting parties to kill hundreds of seals every night in order to obtain oil to lubricate the plantations machinery.[12] A 1707 account describes fisherman slaughtering seals by the hundreds for oil to fuel their lamps.[2] By 1850 so many seals had been killed that there were no longer sufficient numbers for them to be commercially hunted.

Attached: carribeanmonkseal.jpg (1820x1144, 1.93M)

Largest mayan pyramid in Belize destroyed for its material to use as rubble in a road.
I have no words

Attached: Noh-Mul destroyed.jpg (480x554, 73K)

How is this allowed?

Attached: 9300e399e99964778e0b81b5d1926f81dd42c900.png (500x478, 108K)

Practicality trumps muh historical record and this entire thread is a monument to that.

Maybe if there was no other option you would have a point. Most of these examples are people who are ignorant doing what is easy and convenient without any regard for the long term effects. It's hedonism. Pure and simple.

>Live in a slightly rural place, mostly fields and forests.
>Go outside at night.
>Quiet.
>Deafeningly quiet
>A soft breeze blows through the trees
>Somewhere in the distance an owl makes his presence known
>A small pack of deers move through the small patch of forest behind my house, they are familiar to the smell of my cigarette, so me standing there doesnt unnerve them as long as I dont make any sudden movements or try to approach them.
>I turn off the outdoor lighting and gaze up on the clear sky to see the faint milkyway and the stars come into focus.
>The deers move along through the bushes, and I stand there, in awe while smoking my cigarette.

In the winter, it's not uncommon that the northern lights dance across my night sky.

Why people want to live in cities is beyond me, I'm quite fond of people, but not cities. I guess I'm quite privileged in that I can jump on a train and reach the nearest city within 25 minutes if I feel like it.

I know your feels user, My best childhood memories were running around in the forest by my neighbors house, the trees were fucking gigantic and it felt like it was untouched by the world, I come back to visit my parents and see a huge group of people start taking down the trees, apparently a someone from Californian thought it would be good to fuck up a bunch of trees so he could build a guest house and pool.

filthy city dweller

Attached: 1414170271381.jpg (256x345, 13K)

Where the fuck is it guys??

How can you lose a fucking room?

Attached: amber_room.jpg (749x562, 140K)

Nohmul (or Noh Mul) is a pre-Columbian Maya archaeological site located on the eastern in what is today northern Belize. The name Nohmul may be translated as "great mound" in Yucatec Maya.[1] It is the most important Maya site in northern Belize.[2] The site included a large pyramid, about 17 meters (56 ft) tall,[3] built around 250 BC. Most of the pyramid was destroyed in May 2013 by contractors tearing it apart for rocks and gravel to use to fill roads.
the heavy equipment belonged to De-Mar's Stone Company, a company owned by politician Denny Grijalva: this idiot.

Attached: denny_grijalva.jpg (700x498, 247K)

You can dress it up in whatever fruity language you want. It's sad but that's all it is.

if this is knowledge I do not want it, take it from me please, why does it hurt so much?

Why are you doing this to me?!

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make. The whole point of this thread is that these events are sad. What did you think the point was? Seems like you're just trying to shit on things for the sake of shitting on them..

Many of the rare eastern island language(rongorongo) tablets were used as fuel for fire and as fishing aids.

Attached: easter.jpg (610x360, 47K)

He's trying to be edgy.

Just trying to bring a bit of sanity to this retarded fucking thread.

>I'm smart and everyone else is dumb.
Thanks for your contribution.

Yes, because 'bawwwww' is so much better.

>Live in what you could call a paradise.
>Live in an massive fruited jungle, Free to pilfer fallen fruit from the ground, free from predation.
>Evolved to grow fat since wings are basically useless when you don't have to flee from anything.
>Species didn't even know what a predator was.
>Humanity comes along, discover gentle birds that don't even flee when approached.
>Annihilate them to extinction.

Imagine if we domesticated them?

Attached: 16798202413_11e25244d8.jpg (394x394, 40K)

Yeah it was actually.

I didn't say it was gone.

t. bear

I would love to own my own pet dodo. It would probably be my best friend.

Attached: brown_bear_hello.jpg (500x399, 86K)

A small but welcome comfort

It's still not enough desu, but thank you for trying

It would have worked better than under Stalin. You're an idiot if you think otherwise. The industrialization wouldn't of had ridiculous goals that were the result of emergency necessity. Trotsky was arguing that collective farms should have been started in 1923, giving them 5 more years for a more gradual, easier to control transition with hardly any loss of life. Stalin allied with the Kulak representatives in the politburo for far too long due to his opportunism.

You don't, you sell it :,^)

He looks like a little bitch.

Colonel Archibald Gracie, Titanic survivor. He spent the entire disaster finding women and children to lead to the lifeboats. He was one of the men to survive the night on the overturned collapsible lifeboat, but the hours he spent partially submerged in the freezing water destroyed his health. He died in December of 1912, just 8 months after surviving the sinking. He spent his last months constantly corresponding with fellow survivors and compiling their accounts for a book he published about Titanic.

Gracie was one of the few survivors who was willing to openly speak out about the disadvantage that 3rd class passengers had during the sinking, specifically in getting to the boat decks and lifeboats. "A mass of humanity," he called them, finally making it to the boat deck after the last standard lifeboat had been launched.

His last words, as recorded by his family, during his dying delirium:

>We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats.

Attached: 1516385742358.jpg (442x500, 25K)

If you don't like it leave

Now I see why my local town council was always so autistic about people chopping down trees.

They chopped down a forest near me to build a nursing home. +3 years it's still not built but all the trees are gone.

>This dog of a dogwood leveled enough trees to shade a small state. And weep not for this willow. She slaughtered an ancient forest to produce cardboard. Cardboard!

Attached: this dog of a dogwood.png (574x430, 466K)

>the worlds greatest hope for a communist movement devoid of insane purges and famines
How does one actually believe this?
Im not some kinda stormweenie or whatever, just a guy whose family didnt have it well in communism,

It
just
doesnt
work
because
of
the
human
condition.

ITS FUCKING IMPOSSIBLE A FAIRY TALE

Literally none of this shit made people any happier in practical terms. It's fucking insanity.

Theyre trying to clone these fucks because we still have usable DNA material as well as relatives

Fuck, we already had a semi-successful rebirth of a species if only for a few minutes

Trotsky would've kept the war going.

>If you come for their Feathers you do not give yourself the trouble of killing them, but lay hold of one and pluck the best of the Feathers. You then turn the poor Penguin adrift, with his skin half naked and torn off, to perish at his leasure. This is not a very humane method but it is the common practize. While you abide on this island you are in the constant practize of horrid cruelties for you not only skin them Alive, but you burn them Alive also to cook their Bodies with. You take a kettle with you into which you put a Penguin or two, you kindle a fire under it, and this fire is absolutely made of the unfortunate Penguins themselves. Their bodys being oily soon produce a Flame; there is no wood on the island.[6]
What the fuck is wrong with naked apes?

Attached: Great_Auk.jpg (426x640, 271K)

I've read somewhere that the morrocan royal family actually still have one alive

Nah Wisconsin has plenty of this left. Especially way up north

exploitaton? we killed off lions cus they actively hunt humans

We should kill off all humans. Cus they actively hunt humans too. What an awful justification. You should be ashamed.

Obligatory library of Alexander post

>The trees can't act as natural filters for CO2 because we chopped them all down

Number of trees is increasing worldwide precisely because of the increase in CO2 in the air. They don't call it a greenhouse gas for nothing.

Were they?

>It actually received official protection in 1553, although even this did not stop the mass-scale hunting. The bird was not just killed for food or feathers anymore but instead as fishing bait. This practice was still in play, and not even the threat of flogging could prevent it. As the bird grew rarer it became more valuable, and skeletons, eggs and taxidermied specimens were always admired in museum collections. Sailors went in flocks and started butchering them in droves.

>On the islet of Stac an Armin, St. Kilda, Scotland, in July 1840, the last great auk seen in Britain was caught and killed.[70] Three men from St. Kilda caught a single "garefowl", noticing its little wings and the large white spot on its head. They tied it up and kept it alive for three days, until a large storm arose. Believing that the bird was a witch and was causing the storm, they then killed it by beating it with a stick.[6][71]

I think I'm going to be sick...

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12K)

The eternal Brit strikes again

Theres something strangely captivating about the idea of pretending to decapitate someone over and over.

It doesn’t matter how much I learn about the French Revolution, there’s always some new nugget of pure gold I get to stubble across eventually

>
it;s still there

>We must get them into the boats. We must get them all into the boats.
When i was little my cousin hanged himself. When i walked into the chapel he was lying in a box.
My first impulse was to help him out of the box.
But i knew he was gone.
That thought troubled me and about a year later i had a bad fever from the flu and remember gabbling something complicated about how everyone was headed to boxes and needed to be saved.
This quote, even if not real, reminded me of that.

Third world countries all have shitty ignorant politicians who don't care about anything other than personal profit.

>happy ending
>some kind of bad thing happening to people who do bad things
fuck off

t. doesn't have a passport

Actually I do, and I'll be going to steal your jobs and women and drain you of your resources soon enough.

t. also a virgin

What's it like being so stupid, you actually fulfill a stereotype?

Attached: 135.png (680x680, 124K)

Attached: anna de gaulle and papa.jpg (696x1108, 241K)

>Lucerne in Sweden
>Swiss Guard
>it's still there
wtf is this post?

He's probably posting it because he gets feels from the statue and the text, not because it was taken off or something.

They mountain Jewed the sculpture so he carved a pig in the outline
Head and ears on the left, tail on the right

fuck

Attached: cryinh.jpg (625x417, 51K)

> t. historically incompetent /pol/ack

It never worked because for every "communist" (read "socialist") country there were 20 "capitalist" countries actively (openly and covertly) opposing it. There's only so many enemies you can fight and embargoes you can live with before your economy goes kabloooey.

Attached: 1521539196593.jpg (953x935, 166K)

Fuck off, that retarded excuse gets BTFO any time is brought up.

>lol just distribute all the shit you worked hard for to undeserving plebs! Big house? Fuck you have 3 families move in with you. ZFamily farm your family has owned for generations? Fuck you, ave to give it all up and now subsistence farming for you and 30 other families, also they use all the stuff you used to own but now don't

How could this ever fail?

Attached: 884B118A-7627-4E8A-8192-576CABDE2466-4087-000005F0DD1603D0.jpg (1000x625, 110K)

>Now, she's like the others.

Attached: Yotsuba cry.jpg (468x317, 61K)