The History of Beer

In this thread, I hope to discuss Beer. Beer: one of the oldest drinks man has created.

What's driven all settled people's to develop a fermented brew? If anyone would like to post articles, videos, feel free to do so.

Attached: 41wjpYhTHGL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg (350x350, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7538264/Men-owe-women-for-creating-beer.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It was developed by the Egyptians. They used a special cup with a filter on top to drain out the barley fragments and residues. It was a popular drink with the lower and middle classes, particularly senet players.

However, the upper classes of Egypt, much like in modern society, tended to prefer wine, imported from the Aegean.

Attached: Ancient-Egypt-Beer-2.jpg (350x326, 46K)

Neat!

>one of the oldest drinks man has created
>man
Oh please sweetie, stop with that toxic masculinity and thank us already

telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7538264/Men-owe-women-for-creating-beer.html

Fun fact: Egyptians called their beer "Zythos", exactly how later Celts and Slavs called theirs. To this day "żyto" is a word for Secale among the Slavs.

Beer was created by upper classes to keep lower classes from rebelling against them by keeping them drunk, unhealthy, stupid, and complacent.

Beer was exceptionally useful because it made potentially unclean and unsafe water completely potable and delicious. It was generally more watered down than what we're used to, even children drank it everyday.

marxist pls go

Then why does wine exist?

It already was used in Europe during the Neolithic too though.

It was developed by Sumerians.
They even had a goddess of beer, named Ninkasi and her holy songs were first recorded beer recipes.

>pic related

European neolithic also saw production of alcohol, probably both wine and beer.

Also, a dacian diety named Sabasios was an original diety of beer, later being absorbed by Romans into Bacchus cult.

Attached: 3662370035_4d1aae5c8c_o.jpg (182x367, 27K)

As a Slav i can confirm this to a degree.
"Žito" in my languange means grain, which is vital in beer production.

You can use "žito" to refer to barley, wheat, anything grainy really.

The greeks and romans were aware of beer but was not very popular with them it seems. Preferring wine instead. The Greek general and writer Xenophon, in Book IV of his Anabasis, writes:

"There were stores within of wheat and barley and vegetables, and wine made from barley in great big bowls; the grains of barley malt lay floating in the beverage up to the lip of the vessel, and reeds lay in them, some longer, some shorter, without joints; when you were thirsty you must take one of these into your mouth, and suck. The beverage without admixture of water was very strong, and of a delicious flavour to certain palates, but the taste must be acquired."

Attached: pouring one.jpg (800x400, 140K)

The earliest beer in Europe is from Catalonia and dates to 4000 bc

In the early modern period the women of the house would brew the beer. As has already been stated, it was a far safer method of hydration than using just water, especially in urban areas. Alcoholic volume was far lower than ‘normal’ beer today; it would take a lot to get drunk. In Britain at least, after industrialisation it was still a popular drink, and was sold as ‘boys’ beer’ until it died out around the mid 20th century. In a way the likes of Shandy Bass are spiritual successors.

Here's question that always interested me,

Has the quality of beer gotten better or worse? There's probably no way to know for sure but was there some super delicious legendary beer of the past, or is what we have available today the best?

>The beverage without admixture of water was very strong, and of a delicious flavour to certain palates, but the taste must be acquired."
Sounds about right

i would say to try german beer because the "reinheitsgebot" was established in 1516

beers like that and the Belgian "Stella" have been heavily modified since then

"get me a beer, wench" has never been so relevant

Ah, beer. The white man's drink.

Attached: Alcohol_belt.png (1197x1000, 60K)

Exceedingly great thread noble user!

Nice try. Post the world map.

Attached: e090590b1d2bf325d8ec36eed3337ce0.png (1880x1024, 146K)