Starting late

have any of you into muay thai as adults? im 23

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=waFOeKTPfqs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What do you mean late? Muscle deterioration doesn’t really hit till around 50 or older. It’s never too late unless you’re 80.

in relation to the majority of people that start as young teens

who gives a fuck about what everyone else is doing. Just start

muay thai is a terrible sport in general, i'd not recommend starting it at any age, let alone 23

Buddy of mine started in his late 20s. Just did his first match against a popular local. He faired well and lost by decision. Never too late

Bro the majority of people start, go once or twice a week and quit under a year, if you've got iron willpower like a Veeky Forums autist (speaking form experience) then you'll be in fighting condition in no time

>muay thai is a terrible sport in general
how so?

I practiced Muay Thai when I was around 22. My club had a guy in his late 40's, or maybe early 50's, representing the club in professional fights. I don't think age is a problem.

It's a great combat sport, and not an overly complicated one at that. You can quite easily master most of the moves and reach intermediate level within a year of good, constant practice.

Quite a useful martial art to know and could potentially save you in a street fight, but there are definitely more relevant martial arts out there if you wanna' know how to not die in a fight.

>there are definitely more relevant martial arts out there if you wanna' know how to not die in a fight.
which ones?

BJJ is a pretty popular suggestion. Kali Sikaran too, if you ignore the bullshit stick fighting component of it.

It's like sex user. Many of us were having it in our early teens but that doesn't mean having it late in life is a detriment. Lots of people don't have sex till their early 20s which is super late I know but it's not a total loss

>Kali
>relevant

I kekd

Brain damage just like any other contact sport.

OP, if you're thinking of going competitive then just do it. Never too late to go pro imo.

Who cares? So you'll never be a competitive fighter. You'll still kick the shit out of the kind of unmotivated and worthless people who you'd have to defend yourself from irl.

I like to think learning how to disarm someone wielding a knife is quite relevant, but hey that's just me man.

Is the brain damage meme a real thing for people who aren't professionals or longtime amateurs?

I mean there are thousands of amateur boxers and martial artists who compete and don't suffer observable brain damage. I get that the longer you do it, the worse it is for you, but if you're doing it non-competitively as a hobby (and don't have a family history of neurodegenerative illnesses), I don't see how sparring could fuck you up.

Yes brain damage is a real thing, everytime youre getting punched in the head your brain is taking damage, its not certain you will have it, but your chances of it do go up from sparring.

Know how to train effectively without relying on sparring. Sparring is the best training, but can also damage you. When you do spar, wear head gear and a mouth guard. Know when to quit. Allow for recovery time. You're fine.

/thread

Just don't overdo it when it comes to sparring. If you're really, really worried about yer brain then don't compete like 10 times a month.

Getting frequently knocked out is not good for the brain.

Im moving to thailand for a year to train muay thai, im 20.

And I am a complete beginner, I have only taken a few classes at home.

she has the worst infraorbitals that I have ever seen on a grill in my life. that under eye support is legit shit tier.

yeah dude you are ANCIENT at 23. your body is basically done.

Boxing is the best, because of its simplicity. Keeping every move to a very basic level makes it easy to learn and something you can do during stress.
Everything that requires complex technique will probably fail if you're adrenaline kicks through the roof and you're shaking like mad, not being able to do anything with the same precision as in the dojo.
(BJJ is shit. While you're busy breaking the assailants arm, his buddy crushes your head with a rock.)

That said, fighting is mainly about being able to ignore every emotion except agression and channel it wisely. Either you got it or you don't.
If you got *it*, you can train boxing (or anything really) for coordination and judging distance, and then charge ahead with a baseball bat. Why limit yourself in your final style just using fists?

This guy has the right idea. Learn boxing before any others. It teaches simple footwork and strikes while building speed and stamina. Plus, everything you learn carries over into most other forms of martial arts.

You're fucking retarded dude.
If someone pulls a knife or a gun the only fucking mcdojo jutsu that works is running away. No martial art can teach you how to handle weapons.

Not that guy.
But I actually had some guy take a swing at me with a knife. I think the only reason I blocked it and didnt get stabbed was all my mcDojo training. Of course though, yes, running is a better option. But martial arts has saved my ass at least a couple times in my life.

>Lots of people don't have sex till their early 20s which is super late
>tfw 28yo virgin
literally the only reason I haven't killed myself on my birthday last month is because I'm only a month or so short of hitting 2/3/4/5.

If you're semi-regularly getting assaulted with knives - maybe reconsider your life choices mate.

Brian damage is a very real threat even if you only spar one time

is everyone on this board a little sissy faggot

you're right. Martial arts won't actively teach you how to disarm people unless it's a defense class specifically made for disarming an aggressor
But the times the discipline and focus you get from the martial arts have saved me is almost insane. I'm almost positive I would've been stabbed more than once without it.

The most valuable thing you can take from martial arts aren't the moves or the sick flips. It's the understanding that you need to stay focused when someone's swinging at you and just letting your body react without putting to much panic thoughts into it, which disturbs the process and fucks you up.

>being careful during potentially dangerous activities is for faggots only
I guess this is what you get when your dad skips on you and the only male presence in your life is an revolving line of "mommys special friends" - you start confusing being a retard with masculinity.

This guy got into MMA when he was like 40-something.

27, started at 26. Muay thai is great, would recommend.

I know you won't actually listen to th is, and it's maybe a bit hypocritical coming from me anyway as I'm a recovering sex addict

But from my pov, sex is just a pass time. If you haven't met a chick that makes you completely weak and giggly, the sex you'll have won't shake your world and make everything better.It's just gonna be an urge that you manage to soothe. That urge is like the craving for unhealthy food, it's just there but it won't destroy your life if you don't succumb and frantically get it.

You're 28, you've done great steps when it comes to lifting if the 2/3/4/5 is true.
If you lose your virginity when you're 35 it won't define your value as a human being. Don't put your own value or your will to live in the fact that you have or have not lost your virginity.

Not that user but you speak the truth.
Hormones make people crave it with such frenzy, they fail to realize it's hugely overrated.
(But I never stick my neck out and argue about it since it just results in ad hominem or drama.)

If BJJ is shit, why not boxing? I mean if I fight a guy one on one, his friend puts a beer bottle over my head. So where is the difference?

>Brian damage

How do you tell if a gym is a mcdojo or actually legit?

I'm wondering this as well

if the trainer has a few students competing at an international level and has been to Thailand to train himself

In that context boxing is better because you stay on your feet and stay mobile.

You just punch whoever gets too close while backing off/looking for a way to run.

boxing doesn't encourage you to get in dangerous range of your opponent and go to the ground. An experience BJJ bro would probably mangle a single drunken retard but when the numbers are not on your side, hell even when they are, it is better to stay on your feet 100% of the time. Boxing and really any striking style worth anything emphasizes hitting first and hard usually with the element of surprise. So you throw some punches and you're still on your feet to get the fuck out of dodge.

youtube.com/watch?v=waFOeKTPfqs

turn volume down because the music is shit

if there's no full contact sparring then it's shit.

tapping each other with gloves for points is not sparring.

I'm 27 and started Tuesday. I'm aware I will never be anywhere near the level of guys who have consistently trained since they were teenagers, but that's not the reason I do it. I do it to be better than I was, and chances are after a year or so of training I'll be able to wipe the floor with anyone who has no fighting background.

I’m not reading all the other shit replies but 23 isn’t old unless you’re a Thai living in Thailand who wants to fight professionally. If you’re just another Burgerstani wanting to get fit and maybe take a fight or two then age is irrelevant. If you trained for 12 months and had a talent for it you could take a fight.

23 isn’t old, you’re barely out of puberty.

I think the idea is-if youre taking on multiple people and not just fucking running like someone with a brain, you're already up shit river. Start swinging and get out asap. you dont stand up to multiple dudes.

I guess you can always say i want my martial art to prepare me for the worst case (3 on 1 with no escape), in which case striking is definitely better than grappling...but I dont know if that really makes sense as a time commitment.

Try out boxing as a start.

if you can move your body you can do muay

mix with bjj for ultimate smashing

ofc you can be on that level... what stands in your way ? just train hard and often 5-6x a Week and you will be there in no time.

does the gym have successful fighters?

Biggest tells are lack of professional and amateur level fighters actively training for competition, no sparring, buying your way to a new belt.

Clinches = hugs.

If you honestly think hugging someone, with the side of your face pressed up against their face, is some type of 'martial art', then you're a deluded cunt and you deserve to have your ear ripped off.

well that "hug" would kill you fag.

You don’t understand the clinch then.

People with your mentality never cease to amaze me.

I wish I could be this dense and black and white about everything, must make life so much easier.

>guyz im 23 am i too old 2 do X?????
>image of a woman

Please be bait or fucking kill yourself.

lol as if 23 is old

Clinching someone in the street is pretty retarded unless you know how to grapple

lol okay try and rip my ear off when i'm kneeing your balls and face in

or if you remember that you have these cool things called knees that can be effective weapons

I personally wouldn't lift one of my feet off the ground in a street fight because that's giving a wrestler a free leg, but that's just my philosophy

23is ancient m8

> I wish I could be this dense and black and white about everything

welcome to Veeky Forums

>23 years old
>its too late for me

you probably just graduated college and you think you are at the end of the road of your life?

I started Muay Thai when I was around 17 18. It was honestly the best thing I ever did. This is coming from someone who was only concerned with intellectual pursuits and avoided any type of exercise, as I didn't have any respect for it. Was skinny. It would be nice if I could teach Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu

You’d need to have had some fights mate otherwise nobody’s going to listen to you.

why do you assume that some mook on the street is a wrestler? if that were the case you'd already be fucked as soon as you got the clinch. if some asshole gets that close to me I'm going to do everything I can to leave a knee-shaped crater in his dick.

why is it that all skinny people are retarded? I have a skinny friend and he believes that people only work out so that they can go out and fight. Otherwise, you wouldn't be working out. Same thing with working out. Basically, any kind of exercise he believes if for a destructive purpose. But he does yoga and believes he is stronger than me

He's sounds insecure bud

that's funny because I feel like being bigger/more obviously fit would lower your chances of getting into a fight because fewer people would see you as a soft target.

most likely but he is probably also a sociopath.
Same thing with this skinny indian kid who thought it was a good idea to smack me over my head as hard as he could with a pillow because i decided to put a pillow on the edge of the table he was sitting on while i was tying my shoe. I ended up punching his face in and got suspended from school for a bit.
I dunno, skinny kids annoy the shit out of me for some reason. I used to be skinny but i wasn't this much of a faggot. Or maybe I was. I dunno.

yeah, i dont know man. Sometimes he does some shit that makes other people want to fight him and break his skinny ass legs but of course they don't do that because itd be too easy and wouldn't be worth it.

>Many of us were having it in our early teens
I doubt that's true.

That's very true, I used to go to Renzo Gracie Academy in NYC it's expensive but you can go multiple times a day all you want it was like heaven for me they even have showers nice ones. i would live there everyday honestly and just learn and teach

Tbh I thought fit people were intimidating. I was just concerned with learning and hating everyone because I felt I was vastly intellectually superior to those people. And for the most part I was.

>Pic related most beautiful woman in "Hollywood"

>im vastly intellectually superior

my skinny friend says the same thing even though he is a fuckin art major. fuck skinny people

yeah if he's constantly antagonizing people then he's got some personal issues.