If you believe in an afterlife, why are you still afraid of dying?

If you believe in an afterlife, why are you still afraid of dying?

Attached: 3DEA0C04-14F9-4DDC-B56B-BE6872968F9C.gif (256x192, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zXdB5DiWhZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How would that somehow make you not afraid to die?

I'm not. I want to die.

God in his wisdom implanted a fear of death into all humans so we wouldn't cross the street without looking both ways or kill ourselves out of curiosity.

Attached: 1521076455238.gif (320x240, 363K)

Because death is meaningless. You'd be afraid of pain not death. End of life would just lead to literally more life.

Yet he still made a lot of us mentally ill and/or suicidal. Infinite wisdom indeed

The fact that that i'm responsible for all 7 sins and kind of unsure if Jesus can save my soul

Mental illness is not the natural state of humanity. Hence why it's an illness. It's all part of the suffering that came with the fall.

Attached: 1521490769015.jpg (640x464, 82K)

>mental illness is not natural
Yes it is. Also are you taking Genesis literally?

>one of those "depression is a mental illness" sort

It is.

No, it is not. It is the result of man's fall into sin.

Attached: 1521432425610.jpg (369x400, 113K)

Yes it is. Also are you taking Genesis literally?

It is only an "illness" in the metaphorical sense that can be applied to anything detestable. In reality, it is a state of emotion.

Define "literally". There was definitely an Adam and Eve who caused the fall of mankind if that's what you mean.

Attached: anime_angel_wings_wallpapers_hd.jpg (1600x1200, 686K)

It's verifiably a mental disorder and is the result of chemical imbalance and neurons not connecting properly. It also affects your daily life. It is an illness in the most literal sense possible.

Just making sure. Then I know the caliber of person I'm talking to.

Even the Catholics and Orthodox believe in a literal Adam and Eve. The entire Bible wouldn't make sense if they didn't exist.

Attached: rei_angel.jpg (386x514, 94K)

Oh I know.

>The entire Bible wouldn't make sense if they didn't exist.
You're right here, at least.

So what you are saying is that every case of depression is caused by biological defect? I highly doubt that you mean that such people are naturally in a state of depression but rather that such "defect" people are more inclined to fall into that emotional state. Because frankly, I refuse to believe that there are people who are depressed by default.
Now, depression is an emotion. It's a mood. I don't think there is any denying this. So, I presume therefore that these defunct sort are merely more vulnerable to the triggering of this emotion as are others vulnerable to other triggers of other emotions, as may be genetic, and as defines personality.
The issue is when people (that is, angsty teenagers) treat it as a literal pathogenic disease. Unironic "I have suicide illness :(" drivel. And again, I refuse to believe any one is naturally depressed, or any emotion really.
If one is depressed, something is triggering it (even if it's "nothing", which is the lack of something) and one may have the ability to improve their situation through action. For one of these "imbalanced" gentlemen, perhaps more caution is advised?

But that's just my take on it as one uneducated on the subject.

Anyways, to answer , one can believe in the afterlife and still be afraid. Maybe nonexistence is better than the chance for eternal suffering?

What if you die and your "afterlife" is experiencing the agony of death for all eternity?
It would fucking suck enough to be afraid of dying.

Because I want to have continuity in this world before I pass on to the next.

Anxiety about death keeps you on the right path.

>If you believe in an afterlife, why are you still afraid of dying?

I'm not really afraid of dying - I'd rather not at this time - but I have a personal guarantee from God itself issued directly to me that I'm immortal.

I don't know if it's true - I just know it's a promise from a superhuman being.

But, God has shown me it can control my nervous system on numerous occasions as well as the nervous systems of other mortals on this planet - so I suppose the chances that I get an afterlife are better than zero because against all probability - given the knowledge I have of neurophysiology and physics - there's a superhuman being that can manipulate my brain like I'm a puppet even though all the medical and scientific data I have acquired tells me that shouldn't be possible. I guess it just means there's things in the manifolds of spacetime we really don't understand.

youtube.com/watch?v=zXdB5DiWhZk

>life is shit
>death is eternal paradise
sounds pretty good desu

>parents are both depressed and anxious
>brain abnormalities can be observed on brain scans
>I biologically inherit these mental disorders
>Years later some Christian LARPer tells me I'm faking
really........ makes........... me..................... think...................

Attached: slide1.jpg (498x280, 32K)

I think there is something frightening about being stuck in an eternal afterlife after death.

Then why did the parents of pic related keep quiet about his suicide? In Islam, just like in Christianity, those who commit suicide receive eternal damnation in hell. Instead, the muslim community are saying this guy "passed away peacefully".

Whats with the white lies? Didn't "god" tell us to never lie?

Why not simply use his death as a pedestal to warn others that suicide will lead to eternal fiery torture in hell?

Attached: 1521102557848.jpg (300x229, 10K)

Because fiery religious purists are only judgmental and damn those who they don't know well- to tell his mother that her son, as per religion, is burning in Hell for eternity, would obviously be traumatizing for her. So the family is trying to reconcile their beliefs with their hopes that their son isn't suffering the pain they have no problem wishing out to others.
They are hypocrites, no surprises here.

>Oh I know.
You made me actually laugh. That was good.

White lies in order to prevent social panic is perfectly acceptable in the eyes of god.

Doesn't change the fact he is burning in hell though and getting eternally tortured

Nothing you have said has contradicted what I have said. I agreed with your position that there are those more prone to depression due to biological factors, whilst I do disagree on the magnitude of the problem it presents on its own. That is, it requires other factors (the person's mindset and response to his situation and ability to control said situation, etcetera) to work in conjunction with it.
>Christian
Close! Although I do respect the honest Christian fellows here!
>LARPer
I have a mind to improve my behaviour.

Because it sounds unpleasant? The same applies to not believing in an afterlife, if you kill yourself you wont have any pain or regret afterward.

Because I'm not done yet

I'm not.

>implying fear of death isnt another """"""""""gift"""""""""" of the fruit of knowledge

>So what you are saying is that every case of depression is by biological defect?
When I said "depression" I meant MPD, colloquially known as depression, not the generic mood. So yes, that's what I'm saying.

Because this living thing is pretty fun.

Acknowledged, carry on as you were.

Acknowledged. Carry on

Acknowledged

If you believe in vaccination why are you scared of getting jabbed?

Because of pain.

Lol im on board