What is a respectable weight for DB ohp?

What is a respectable weight for DB ohp?

80 seems about right.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wce8d8SDvP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

snap city

sure if thats in kg

I can only do 20kg (44lbs) :(((

What the fuck. I started repping that weight when I began lifting.

Looks like I need to eat more

rich piana says you dont need to do shoulder press because its bad for you.

explain

But Rich Piana died like a bitch. So it's confirmed that you'll die of you don't do OHP.

*if

Bought myself a ticket this last week :(

I OHP 60kg/135lbs for 8 reps, 1RM of 75kg. Can DB press 20kg dumbbells for 12, 1RM of 56kg. So I can DB press about 75% of what I can BB press.

60kg is considered not total weakling, for 6 reps to be stronger most average people, BW (let's say the average guy is about 80kg) to be considered strong and 100kg to be real fucking strong.

So, DB press weight for 8-10 reps should be around:
>17.5kg/40lbs to not be weak
>20kg/45lbs to be better than average
>22.5kg/50lbs to be strong
>27.5kg/60lbs to be strong as fuck

yeah, do lateral raises with arms internally rotated and close-grip upright rows instead, that's so much healthier for your shoulders.

gotta confuse the shoulder joints, right babe?

People start in different places

How tall are you?

I'm guessing 5'4 or so.

yeah and I started in ur mum's house, m8

5'10

I've seen huge progresses in seated dumbbell OHP lately. In 10 weeks, I've gone from barely 6 reps with 28kg to 6 reps with 34kg. My goal is to be able to use the 40kg dumbbells my gym has.

I'd say that anything over 30kg is considered really fucking impressive

>he didn't start lifting at 3/4/5/6 220lbs shredded
top scrub

am I the only one that has never been able to increase weight on the DB OHP? It's like my shoulders just aren't built for it.

>can 1rm 135 OHP
>can barely do two 25lbs dumbbell OHP

It is tougher to progress with dumbells because of the jump in weight but if it's that big of a gap then you're probably doing more of a push press rather than an overhead press then.

Damn, I'm weak
I'm doing 3x8 with two 6kg dumbbells
Thanks Veeky Forums, gonna crank up the weight tomorrow

Are you my brother? If so can you wanna go work out?

Nope, not a push press

And I'm exaggerating. I don't regularly do DBs. But I was repping 110 for reps a couple months ago and could only do like 30lbs with the DBs

Weakfag here

I'm currently doing 5x10 8 kg
Next week I should increase weight :/

No, that's completely normal, and you're better off using db ohp as higher volume assistance anyway

Hey, we all start somewhere. Keep progressing and you'll make it buddy

Lateral raises are actually good and, for me atleast, work better than dumbbell ohp

If you're doing more reps with DBs and you are unused to DB presses - then it isn't that weird.

Try working your rear delts and rotator cuff - DB presses are a lot harder on them than OHP.

Learn to read, "lateral raises with arms internally rotated" - which is what you saw piana do in his videos.

Even upright rows aren't that bad if done with a wider than usual grip and only 'till the humerus lines up with the top of the shoulder. Alternating cable upright rows are basically the same motion as pulling in a rope during climbing/fishing/construction, but they go from good to death for your shoulders simply depending on the fact whether you twist your torso to prevent elbows from going too far back.

"Little" details like that matter a lot.

I started about here, ohp was my worst lift, now it's my best

kekd

Thanks bros, started lifting 1 month ago, but as soon as I hit 10 kg I need to buy better dumbbells.

You wouldn't believe how many people in my gym do them that way. I always try to teach them how to them properly, with the shoulder externally rotated instead, but maybe 1 in 5 heeds my advice.

I honestly don't get what's so hard to understand about it. It's basic biomechanics, and I explain them as easily as I can. All the big guys in my gym do them properly, don't they see a correlation?

Still, I'm the buff pt working in my own gym, they're the scrawny DYELs, skelefats and landwhales. Starting to see a pattern here. Have fun destroying your shoulders

Been going to the gym for 2 months now, what's ohp stand for?

I'll work on it. I started about three weeks ago, my first two were on 2kg dumbbells cause I was really scared of hurting myself but moving to 6kg was easy and I only get really tired on the second half of the last set

To be fair, doing them internally rotated hits the medial head more. And it's not like you can just lean forward a bit to achieve the same effect.

one handed pilates

overhead press

Orifice Horsecock-dildo Penetrations

over-extended head pushups
you hold the dumbbell between your teeth

WOW THANKS FOR CLEARING THAT UP I WAS FUCKING LOST.

4x8 with 22.5kg db... Not doing OHP atm. Is that much tho? Started Lifting 5 month ago

Comes out to a C1RM of around 58kg. Which, if you have average proportions and full ROM, comes out to about the equivalent of an OHP 1RM of 80kg - or 60kg for 10reps. That's proficient tier, either you were pretty strong for a normie when you started lifting or have dog-shit form.

Vertical presses a shit. All I do is horizontal pressing, sometimes incline pressing, side raises and rear delt work.

>Vertical presses a shit.
>I do side raises
On what plane does the weight move during a lateral raises? Do you move the weight toward or away from your body? [spoiler]It's a vertical press.[/spoiler]

Also,
>not rating vertical presses (while also not knowing what they are)
>rating incline benching

Doing OHP - 52.5kg 4x5
Seated DBB Press - 24kg each hand 3x7

BW is at 63-64kg

is this any good?

those max rep calculators are so stupid, that nigga is doing 50lb dumbbells and you going to say he can do a 175lb ohp. kekekekekek

>4X8 is usually done at about 80%1RM
>so if he is using a pair of 50lbs dumbbells, then his 1RM is about 125lbs with DBs
>the 70% ratio for DB/BB press pops up in plenty of threads, studies, my personal experience etc.
>125/0.7 = about 175lbs for a 1RM BB OHP.
depends on how often he does DB compared to BB, relative ROM and how strong his stabilizers are - but that's the general ball-park.

or in other words. you're a fucking retard that probably has never lifted a weight in his life if you find basic ratios and rep conversions strange or counter-intuitive.

I always though that I'm a DYEL. But not anymore thanks to your pathetic stats. Thanks user.

>db press is 95% of BB press
my guess is that you lean back a lot and involve your chest quite a bit, it much easier to do during seated db presses - which would explain the high ratio. or you're very strong for your size but have an absolutely shit-tier core. or you have stubby as fuck arms.

unfortunately, none of that matters since you're a manlet.

Sure, strict pressing your own body-weight is dyel tier.

I do both strict, the DBB ones feel like a fucking chore though and I end up shaking by the last reps

I'm 5'10 and take a lot of caffeine

Now I'm curious, you can military press AND db press your own body-weight at an BMI of 20.3, so even if you're 8%BF that would mean you have an FFMI of about 18.5. What's your wingspan like?

>or in other words. you're a fucking retard that probably has never lifted a weight in his life if you find basic ratios and rep conversions strange or counter-intuitive.
you're a fucking retard that probably has never lifted a weight in his life if you think pressing 50lbsx10 dumbbells and then loading up a barbell with 175 fucking lbs and pressing a 1rm is anywhere near the same thing. Don't give a fuck what your "ratios" say

not really my bw, its bit over 10kg less
also my bf% doesn't seem to be 8%, more like 11-12% tops

>wingspan
I have no idea how to properly spread my lats and snap a picture at the same time since it never looks the same as if I were simply doing it without holding a phone but here it is

>pressing 50lbsx10 dumbbells and then loading up a barbell with 175 fucking lbs and pressing a 1rm
Assuming you train in a variety of rep ranges, and don't just focus on 10 reps for everything: Sure. And if not - the required muscle mass is about the same - it's just that your CNS can't keep up.

such a bullshit thread. For reference, my Strict press 1RM is 80 kg and I can rep 40 kg dbs

also, zyzz could db press 50 kg for reps and he was nowhere near a 100 kg strict press. My guess is that it's some dyel fuck who's scared of BB strict press ITT and he drastically overestimates the weight he could put up

No videos?
user, zyzz was liar.

ya you're fuckin dumb dude i lift 80 lb dumbbells for 3x8 easily

can barely OHP 135 for 3x5

Looking good user, but braga a shit
t. real sporting

What's the consensus on single dumbell OHP? I've heard it works stabilizers in the core and allows you to work a bit more each side because you're moving less weight in total simultaneously, is it bullshit?

>inb4 snap city

>not really my bw, its bit over 10kg less
If you press 10kg less than your BW for reps then you probably can press your BW for a max. Which is decent even for a lean guy.

>also my bf% doesn't seem to be 8%, more like 11-12% tops
Which puts your FFMI at around 18, your pic and your lifts suggest you're somewhere around 20.5-21. Ie. you should be about 8-10kg heavier than you are. Then again, we're very different heights so maybe my reference point is.

Wingspan means the distance from the tip of one index finger to the other when your spread out your arms. It has nothing to do with lats.

my ratio is about 70%, but I have separated shoulders. could be the same for OP, hence him thinking it's the same for everybody. something like 50% of people have either separated shoulders or torn rotator cuffs.

thanks pal

>calling braga shit which recently beat the 4th in the budesliga
>liga adelante
user...

I have yet to try it since the sample program I picked up doesn't include 1RM(Eric Helms 5 day routine) but now I'm curious

Oh, no idea about it then but regarding to the bf% I can't be sure visually since I just started training my core 1 month ago, fell for the "squats and diddlys" are enough meme so now they're underdeveloped maybe that's why my OHP isn't higher

>my DB press is almost 30% higher than my OHP
congratulations, you're the only person in the world for which this is true.

Nah I was messing with you, you guys are doing well

i tried it once (a few weeks ago) with 44 kgs and went smoothly, got 4 reps in. So yea, i think 80 kgs is a respectable weight for db ohp

youtube.com/watch?v=wce8d8SDvP8
use google

>OHP in the rack right after squatting
>mfw nobody says shit

140 OHP for reps with BB. DB just impedes your progression because of the jumps in weight

not really, it was similar for me when I switched from BB to strength training
Fucking faggots doing this exercise (which by the way is bad for your rotator cuffs) and overestimating the weight on their hypothetical OHP which they are scared to do. Then they see a guy doing solid weight on OHP and think to themselves "hah, but I can rep pink 20 kg dumbbells, that means my hypothetical OHP is 80 kg lol"

Virtue signaling powerlifting faggot who doesn't understand how the body works detected.

>fell for the "squats and diddlys" are enough meme
kek, best troll Veeky Forums ever pulled.

you definitely don't look like 63kg at 1.77m. my guess would be 70-72kg. could be thin frame, and/or very low water retention or something. or maybe my eyes are just shit.

The thing about DB ohp is it's very easy to cheat by flaring your elbows and not going full rom. This makes dyels think they are strong and it fucks up your shoulders. It's also why you have people repping out 30 - 40kg dumbbells yet can't even ohp a pl8

I could probably press 65lb DBs for reps but I have a hard time getting the 60s up. How to fix this?

keep projecting. DB press fucks up your shoulders if you execute it like 99.9% of gym rats and DYELs do (arms flared out). Seated press is much easier than standing press too, and way too easy to cheat on to judge properly.

If anything, I'd say dumbbell z presses with 25-30 kg dumbbells in each hand (legs extended, seated on the ground with no support so you have to stabilize with core alone) for a few reps is equal to a standing 80 kg STRICT press.

SHOCK THE BODY

>overestimating the weight on their hypothetical OHP
My figures aren't hypothetical. I test my 1RM at least once every 3 months. DB press was always about 70% of OHP. Reading up on studies: most people are somewhere around 80-90% if they do both with any frequency. My right shoulder is a bit busted so maybe I'm lower than average with the DBs. But 30% higher DB press is still retarded - no one in the studies had a DB press that is 95% of their OHP, let alone 130%.

Fucking hell

well, if you execute the shoulder press like most people recommend (as said, flaring your elbows out and not going full ROM) the 30-40 kg is very proportional to 1pl8. Now, if people would actually do them for actual gains (i.e. dumbbells not on the side of your head but in front of your shoulders, i.e. a db front press), the ratios would be different

you're so wrong and stupid you don't even know how wrong and stupid you are

vertical presses are LIFE

Just tried doing it with my elbows flared - can do quite a bit more reps. Maybe that's why everyone is arguing so much over this shit.

well you're probably one of the few who do them correctly then if your arms are tucked in. If you do it like e.g. zyzz in (absolutely impingening), a ratio of 130% db combined to barbell is very realistic. And when people usually post their numbers, you can count on a majority also doing it like that due to ego, so your ratios will only lead to false hopes.

>half ROM
>arms wobble all over the place
>seated
>seat is inclined
>everything after the fifth rep doesn't even count as a half-rep due to assistance
Yeah, he's a real good benchmark on proper pressing.

In general yes (if you mean for 5+ reps) but it depends on the dumbbells. Some dumbbells have way bigger weights on the ends than others, so the bigger dumbbells cut the range of motion pretty significantly.

Okay, so:
>ratio is about 80% (+-10%) for elbows tucked
>??-130% for elbows flared
No clue where the flared ratio starts.

>paying for snap city

Most people get it for free

Fuck off

>And it's not like you can just lean forward a bit to achieve the same effect.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm

I can only do 55's :( I started all the way back in Feb with 20s.

Of course it is. Why couldn't you lean forward and hence change the orientation of gravity relative to the shoulder so that you hit the medial delt optimally without internally rotating your shoulders.

>armchair neckbeard powerlifters ruining the thread with broscience

lmao

Okay what is the point of the thread? To give OP a pat on the shoulder? To tell him he's a dyel forever even if he starts pressing 120s for 20+ reps? The thread is pointless, this board is 90% pointless.

no, it's to ascertain what a respectable weight on that exercise is

1pl8 is a milestone or goal for dyels doing Barbell OHP, so 135lb. Dumbbells being more difficult you could subtract the bar and end up with 45's as a respectable first goal. Anything over that is good progress beyond beginner level imo. 80's (160lb) would be approaching a 2pl8 Barbell OHP (+45lb bar = 205 vs 225) which is better than 99% of people.

>respectable
Respectable in terms of what standard?

>DB just impedes your progression
If you hit a wall with BB OHP then doing DB OHP would likely help you push through it. I don't see how this could impede you.

Respectable in what regard? Among normies? Among natties? Roiders? Manlets? Lanklets? Athletes? For a teen? For some old fucker?

Also that whole ratio flame-war thing was because most strenght standards from surveys and studies are expressed in OHP numbers. Finding an accurate ratio would take care of the question after you simply google OHP standard tables, of which there are plenty.

I can guarantee those "overhead presses" were half rep standing incline presses
>inb4 its not that big of a difference
it is a big difference and its pathetic to brag about something that you can't actually do